PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Jets win teaches us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steelers are frauds, poorly coached frauds at that. Jets when not turning the ball over "cough" Geno "cough", have some pieces that the next coach will inherit. Rex is a blow hard enduring his last year there.

Steelers are frauds, poorly coached frauds at that. Jets when not turning the ball over "cough" Geno "cough", have some pieces that the next coach will inherit. Rex is a blow hard enduring his last year there.

The Steelers aren't frauds any more than the Patriots are frauds.

An age old lesson in the NFL, don't show up ready to play and your opponent kicks your ass regardless of who has been better. The Steelers had that one chalked up well before they lost it and this is what they get for it.

I think this just shows the field is wide open. we will see who keeps getting better and who peaks when it matters but right now the Patriots are in good shape, no dominant team on the horizon.

The Jets game reminded me (somewhat related to Blackglass3's and Mayo's first point):

Never, ever take ANY professional team lightly, no matter how much of a joke you think they are, or they will **** you up! The Steelers took the Jets far too lightly, and it showed. They were down 17-3 (or was it 20-3) before they pulled out of the nose dive.

I wanted the bills, dolphins, steelers, ravens, and broncos to lose today. 3/5 aint bad. I never believed in the Steeler hype and Rex has shown that he can put a good defensive plan together against anyone. Without a running game Ben never really got into a rhythm and Antonio Brown singlehandedly put them in a hole. Steeler fans couldn't have been happy about losing their challenge on Vick's clear fumble. That one call by the refs ensured the Steelers wouldn't make a comeback imo. Maybe Rex will last the season.

Did anyone catch the Bills game? I was watching both games and found myself watching this one a little more. The Bills dline was absolutely ridiculous today. They were in the backfield seemingly on every play. Good thing Alex Smith has some decent wheels.

It's a reminder that the equation for victory is sometimes not as simple as: Losing record versus winning record equals a victory for the winning record. It's also a reminder that the media's declaration of 'this team is awesome' is always tenuous (see Pitt this week, Denver last week).

Take a look at the Jets and their really bad record. Now take a look at some of their losses: multiple competitive games where an important mistake/failed execution here or there makes up most of the difference. So, ultimately, just a correction of execution here or there (especially performed at the right time) makes their record, standing, season outlook quite different.

Sometimes the difference between really good and really bad on any given Sanday isn't as far as some believe it is. For the Patriots: play every damn game like your opponent is a SB contender and it's the only game that matters. Bottom line, if they don't play like that they increase their odds of a loss.

If these games were as easy to pick as some people feel on this forum, every gambler in the world would be rich.

We already know that any NFL team can win on any given Sunday, and that the NYJ have a capable enough defense to pose problems/force turnovers.

Other things I learned this past week:

* The Bears apparently decided during their bye week that defenders more than 30 yards down the field is passe.

* Maybe the avalanche of "Big Ben is the most underrated QB in the history of the universe!" articles were a little premature. Especially since Ben is pretty much accurately rated by everyone.

* Odel Beckham, Jr is really, really good.

* As anyone but those without media credentials could tell you, Miami's 37-0 pasting of SD was due to an assortment of factors and unlikely to be predictive of how they play moving forward.

* Tampa's fourth rounder continues to look mighty appetizing.

* Jay Cutler sucks. No, "sucks" doesn't quite capture it. Jay Cutler's quarterbacking abilities are an abomination. Hmmmmm.... maybe a little too much, but I'm getting closer. Seriously, what is it about this guy that people still think he's any good? Haven't we progressed beyond the point of thinking that putting a ball through a wall is equivalent to being an NFL passer?

* Buffalo still knows how to fold when the chips are down. Imagine if they had a real QB.

* As awesome as Drew Brees is, he is still the king of stupid, overaggressive turnovers. He is good for at least two losses a season when he spends the whole game forcing the ball or, like yesterday, he'll hold onto the ball forever in the shadow of his own goal line.

The only thing I didn't figure out this weekend is why someone in the league thought Carolina was worthy of being in so many prime time games. :confused:

Last edited:

I'd expand that and say that this much-vaunted class of WRs is looking as good as advertised.

I do not think the personnel of the Jets is that bad at all, I think the lack of a QB, and poor coaching is the issue.

Thats the issue for 95% of bad teams.

I think with the NYJ, their secondary is also sub-standard..

The only thing I didn't figure out this weekend is why someone in the league thought Carolina was worthy of being in so many prime time games. :confused:

I think I have the answer but I don't dare bring it up in a public forum.

What the NYJ teach me on a weekly basis is that draft spot and overall talent does not make a winning football team. Yesterday the Jets fielded a team with a former #1 overall pick QB, a first round RB, a first round WR, a first round LT, a first round OC, 3 first round picks on their DL, a first round CB, and a first round SAF. Overall they have an abundance of top 100 picks on their roster at key positions and they are still routinely failures. That is not even taking into account blown picks like Sanchez, Hill, etc. Granted they did not make all the picks some players were signed, but the point remains the same, talent is not what makes a winner it takes much more.

QB – Michael Vick #1 pick in 2001
QB – Geno Smith #39 pick in 2013
RB – Chris Johnson #21 pick in 2008
LT – D'Brickashaw Ferguson #4 pick in 2006
OC – Nick Mangold #29 pick in 2006
OG – Brian Winters #72 pick in 2013
WR – Percey Harvin #21 pick in 2009
WR – Eric Decker #87 pick in 2010
TE – Jace Amaro #49 pick in 2014
CB – Dee Milliner #9 pick in 2013
CB – Dexter McDougle #80 pick in 2014
CB – Kyle Wilson #29 pick in 2010
SAF – Calvin Pryor #18 pick in 2014
DT – Sheldon Richardson #13 pick in 2013
DT – Kenrick Ellis #94 pick in 2011
LB – Demario Davis #77 pick 2012
DT – Muhammad Wilkerson #30 pick 2011
DE – Quinton Coples #16 pick in 2012
DE – Jason Babin #27 pick in 2004
LB – David Harris #47 pick in 2007
LB – Calvin Pace #18 pick in 2003

The Jets win teaches me the same lesson that has been taught all year. From week to week, you just don't know so you better bring your A game from the start and maybe some luck from time to time.

Trends can stop immediately and hats off to those individuals that are still in their survival pools.

I didn't bother watching the game, so I really don't know specifically what the play of that particular game itself might teach us. I'll leave it to those who actually watched the game to comment on that.

But, the outcome just reinforces something that I already do know: any fan that takes the outcome of any game against any other team in the NFL for granted doesn't know anything about the NFL.

Odell Beckham looks like Antonio Brown with DeSean Jackson/TY Hilton speed.

What the NYJ teach me on a weekly basis is that draft spot and overall talent does not make a winning football team. ***snip***

That's because, contrary to what Felger believes, building a team through aggressive drafting will bite you in the ass at the end of the day. Yeah, Wilkerson and Richardson have been home-runs, as was Revis before them. But to field a competent, complete NFL roster you also need depth, so the misses of the aggressive draft strategy (Sanchez--which cost them a 2nd rounder along with some back-of-roster depth--and Gohlston immediately come to mind) are not only failed prospects but also the loss of other potential picks, say the 2nd rounder the Jets would have still had without trading up for Sanchez, or an additional pick or two had they traded out of the #6 spot in 2008.

And we're seeing it again this season...their D-line is beastly, Wilkerson and Richardson are simply incredible. But they have marginal LB's and their secondary is garbage. I'd never say it would have been better to move out of the 13th and 30th picks (where they got their stud D-linemen) but overall, the dreaded 'stockpiling of picks' just works, because you're not putting all your chips on so-called 'can't miss' first round studs...who often miss, period.

Anyway, this Steelers-Jets game, to me, is just another case of the 'any given Sunday' NFL doing what it do. The Steelers were overrated going in based on the last two weeks but they're a better team than the Jets, they just didn't show up and got their teeth kicked in before they knew what hit 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back