PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What the Jets win teaches us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Given the huge amount of crap we deal out to our next door neighbors, I think it was worth a separate thread to memorialize this very surprising victory. No I haven't gotten soft. I really don't care about the Jets or their delusional fans. But this win does some very positive things for OUR team, as well as teach some valuable lesson to us.

1. This win and couple others might increase the chances that Rex/Idzik combination stay in NJ. Rex is not only very entertaining, and a great defensive mind, he is also a pretty poor HC, and baring a **** load of luck (like he had in o9 and 10), will doom the Jets to mediocrity while he is there.

Cmon, admit it, the rivalry will lose some of its edge without Rex on the other sideline. And if the results of his first 19 picks are any indication of his personnel ability, I'm wishing John Idzik and LONNNGG stay with the Jets.

2. If you take the ball away FOUR times, and don't turn it over yourself, you will win almost every game in the NFL. We need to be constantly reminded that while somne teams suck and others are great, the game is played by men who, by and large, have pretty much the same talent level. The real reason why some teams fail and others excel comes down to 2 things, really: Coaching and QB's

3. Please note that ths game was played in NJ. No offense in the league was hotter than the Steelers the last 2 games, but it is HARD to play on the road. You cannot expect the same sort of success from the offense we see in Gillette when we go on the road, especially in a loud dome. Its not a coincidence that those 2 losses game on the road. We may very well win some or all of those games at GB, Indy, and SD. But I will guarantee you this, they will all be 4 quarter nail biters.

4. I'm glad for most Jet fans. We have long ago forgotten how it must feel to lose 8 games in a row, or endure what it must be like following a team that is so often a laughing stock of the league.. Christ, IIRC we've only lost 2 games in a row about 3 times in the last 15 years. :eek: I hope they enjoy this weel.

5. Speaking of compassion, my condolences go out to Bills fans, who had to watch their team lose, even though the dominated the Chiefs for most of the game. The frustration level has to be at an all time high in Buffalo tonight. Lets not forget that they pretty much beat up the team that crushed us

6. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills all have excellent defenses. We will be tested the last 3 games of the year. The Bills and Phins will be in desperation mode trying to get to the playoffs, while we KNOW we will get the best the Jets have to offer in what is likely the last Ryan/BB confrontation.

7. Among the other good things the Pats get from this Jets victory:
a. The recently surging Steelers fall another game behind the Pats for playoff seeding.
b. I don't want to see the Jets picking in the top 3 for seven rounds next April, because even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again....and there are a lot of good nuts at the top of each round.

Last edited:
That Pittsburgh might not be the the reincarnation of The Greatest Show on Turf?

I can't help but add the most appropriate description of Eli Manning ever. Early in the game against Seattle, he threw a duck that was, of course, caught for a decent gain. This is how the radio color guy described it:

"The throw was so poor that the defender lost track of the ball."

Perfect. I've never seen a player make so many terrible throws and terrible decisions only for the play to work out in his favor. His brother had the horseshoe on his helmet, but Eli has had his own firmly up his arse.

What it teaches me:

1. The folly of believing your own hype.

2. It's really hard to win on the road. The Pats should remember that when they go to NY in December.

I do not think the first 19 picks Idzik have been that bad. Richardson is a star, and Pryor and Amaro have shown the potential to follow suit. They have had many injuries, but pick for pick his selections have not been any worse than Belichick’s over the past 2 drafts. The Geno Smith pick was not a bad selection, they drafted a QB who was viewed the #1 overall pick leading into the draft at #39, and Geno has played QB like a #39 pick forced into a starting role.

I do not think the personnel of the Jets is that bad at all, I think the lack of a QB, and poor coaching is the issue.

The Steelers had many bad breaks in the game--which kept them from the end zone. But still, they didn't seem to be playing with much fire... down three scores in the 4th they were taking their good ole time on each play, and in their deliberate run one, pass one offense. It looked as if they had conceded this one far too early. (compare the Pat pace early to their pace late--makes you wonder???)

The Steelers-Jets game shows anything can happen when a bad team hosts a better one.

The Denver-Oakland game shows it usually doesn't.

I do not think the first 19 picks Idzik have been that bad. Richardson is a star, and Pryor and Amaro have shown the potential to follow suit. They have had many injuries, but pick for pick his selections have not been any worse than Belichick’s over the past 2 drafts. The Geno Smith pick was not a bad selection, they drafted a QB who was viewed the #1 overall pick leading into the draft at #39, and Geno has played QB like a #39 pick forced into a starting role.

I do not think the personnel of the Jets is that bad at all, I think the lack of a QB, and poor coaching is the issue.

I would hope so.

Jets picked 9th in 2013 -Patriots 29th, twenty picks later every round.

Jets picked 18th in 2014 -Patriots 29th, 11 picks later every round.

From the top of the First Round to the bottom, there is a 20%-ish spread in the rates in which any pick is a bust. By the bottom of the draft, bust rates are almost 30%. That's pretty significant to a team thats drafting at the 29th spot. Based on their position in the First Round alone both those years, the Jets had a 10%-15% better chance alone of finding a successful pick than did the Patriots.

I would hope so.

Jets picked 9th in 2013 -Patriots 29th, twenty picks later every round.

Jets picked 18th in 2014 -Patriots 29th, 11 picks later every round.

From the top of the First Round to the bottom, there is a 20%-ish spread in the rates in which any pick is a bust. By the bottom of the draft, bust rates are almost 30%. That's pretty significant to a team thats drafting at the 29th spot. Based on their position in the First Round alone both those years, the Jets had a 10%-15% better chance alone of finding a successful pick than did the Patriots.
I am not knocking the Patriots, I am saying the picks have not been the issue for the Jets, they are on par with the rest of the NFL in terms of draft choices (some good, some bad). They are failing with coaching, and terrible QB play.

The only thing I learned from the Jets win was that the media were far too quick to jump on the Steelers and Roethlesberger bandwagon. Actually, I already knew that.
Although he consistently leads NFL QBs in sexual assaults Roethlisberger is overrated in my opinion. He is viewed as a top 5 QB by so many and he never sustains a high level of play for an entire season, he is a streaky QB, always has been and probably always will be.

Rex is the ultimate player's coach. Even if they suck, the players love playing for him and will play for him hard. But he imposes his boorish, immature adolescent personality on his team, which makes them notoriously undisciplined and ****y beyond belief. It's impossible to sustain any kind of winning long term when you have that culture on your team.

But please Rex...by all means, go ahead and win a couple more games. You can easily go 5-11. I believe in you! Your job will be safe for another year for sure!! :D

Rex is the ultimate player's coach. Even if they suck, the players love playing for him and will play for him hard. But he imposes his boorish, immature adolescent personality on his team, which makes them notoriously undisciplined and ****y beyond belief. It's impossible to sustain any kind of winning long term when you have that culture on your team.

But please Rex...by all means, go ahead and win a couple more games. You can easily go 5-11. I believe in you! Your job will be safe for another year for sure!! :D
Rex is an example of what many coaches are, they can get a team to buy into their coaching for 1, 2, sometimes even 3 years, and then the team goes rouge. That is Belichick’s greatness in my opinion, no matter what he is able to have the team buy into his coaching every year for 14 years, which is very unusual, most coaches are closer to Ryan, they have 2-3 good years and then the bottom falls out from under them.

Jets D line dominated the game.. We have all seen what happens when you can't block them.

Jets D line dominated the game.. We have all seen what happens when you can't block them.
In my opinion, they have the best DT tandem in the NFL with Richardson and Wilkerson.

what it taught me? even evil wins now and then by some BS

6. The Jets, Dolphins and Bills all have excellent defenses.
The jets have the 3rd worst scoring defense in the league so your "excellent defense" claim about the jets is just a wee bit off.

The jets have the 3rd worst scoring defense in the league so your "excellent defense" claim about the jets is just a wee bit off.
Their front seven is excellent and their secondary is awful.

The Steelers played like a team believing all of their hype and figured they'd roll with little resistance. Good on the Jets for showing some pride.

Their front seven is excellent and their secondary is awful.

Their front seven isn't all that good. Their three d-linemen are great. Their LBs are ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back