OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What Shiould Happen To Matt Cassell

• Keep him. He is the best backup we can get.

Votes: 8 9.1%
  • Showcase him on Sunday and then trade or waive him.

Votes: 29 33.0%
  • Give him a chance to compete through the end of preseason.

Votes: 51 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with Cassel is that he has never looked good throwing the ball. He holds the ball too long, he can't find the open receiver, he depends on scrambling too much.

He obviously has trouble reading defenses and making the quick correct decision, he is pretty much done for the Patriots, its just a matter of time before he gets cut. I am sure that he is being kept around since he knows the playbook and is another arm in the factory.

O'Connell was drafted to be number 3 and Guit will be number 2.

I don't see anything about waterboarding in the choices.

trade him for Troy Smith imo

Re: What Should Happen To Matt Cassell?

what did he last year other than scramble and run for first downs?

he had a meltdown in his prime opportunity in the miami game and miami ended up being the worst team.

Well, that is what I meant. Last season started his regression. It actually started last year's preseason and continued in the regular season. I think he has three games to redeem himself or he should be cut.

Oh please, Troy smith! We've seen enough of the Michael Bishops and Akili Smith clones. I can't see Troy Smith doing much in the NFL. His mechanics and timing are horrendous.

As for a backup, I kind of expect Brian Griese to be cut by the Bucs. I would prefer him to Simms.

Oh please, Troy smith! We've seen enough of the Michael Bishops and Akili Smith clones. I can't see Troy Smith doing much in the NFL. His mechanics and timing are horrendous.

As for a backup, I kind of expect Brian Griese to be cut by the Bucs. I would prefer him to Simms.
Then he and Brady can compete for the starting job like they did at Michigan - NOT!!!!! :D

To use a somewhat absurd example, if Chicago were to have (obviously inexplicably) traded Devin Hester to the Pats for the 5 and 7 the Pats used on Matt Slater, would you conclude that Ellis Hobbs sucked at kick returns?

IMO, you're assuming causation that doesn't necessarily exist. "They drafted O'Connell" doesn't necessarily lead to "The FO thinks Cassel and Gutierrez stink." Based on historical evidence, a more accurate conclusion would be "The FO felt that drafting O'Connell at that position offered more value than anything else they could do* with that pick."

*i.e., anyone else they could have drafted, or any trade that had been offered to them.

I'm not buying it.
You can't tell me the Pats couldn't find a decent Olineman in that position.
It's a better risk than taking a QB if you think you already have 2 good ones.

Last edited:
I just think the sooner you can move on from the Cassell era, the better. At this point, we are looking for the backup who sucks the least rather than the one who can do the job. Not a good way to go about building a roster.

He should be working at McDonalds flipping burgers

If the jury is still out on Cassell and Gutierrez, then why did the team spend a 3rd round draft choice on O'Connell?

I think we need to sign the best veteran backup available before Game 2 and waive both cassell and Gutierrez. Gut can go the Practice Squad.

They spent a third round draft pick - a very late one at that - on a QB because he represented value at that juncture. Bill has long wanted to develop young QB's as capital he can use to acquire a player or draft pick he wants. O'Connell won't replace Brady - he'll either wash out, back Brady up for 4 years as Matt Cassel WILL (which more than justifies their draft pick) or be traded for more than a third come 2009-2010. The 2009 draft class projects to be weak at the position. Which is why it makes sense to have drafted one in 2008 to develop for whatever...and unless he performs a lot better Guts will have a clear path to the PS.

BTW - there is no viable veteran QB available who could run this team, and there won't be. Anyone who gets released now will have not stuck on a roster in a league where teams are desperate for QB's who can even start a little... It took Vinny and Flutie a full off season plus to begin to grasp this offense - not that either of them could have run it much better than Cassel at their ages... As for Simms, he's fried. Gruden cooked him early on and he hasn't even been remotely the same since his injury. He's not coming in here in week 2 to learn a sight adjusted offense. And neither is Griese.

They spent a third round draft pick - a very late one at that - on a QB because he represented value at that juncture. Bill has long wanted to develop young QB's as capital he can use to acquire a player or draft pick he wants. O'Connell won't replace Brady - he'll either wash out, back Brady up for 4 years as Matt Cassel WILL (which more than justifies their draft pick) or be traded for more than a third come 2009-2010. The 2009 draft class projects to be weak at the position. Which is why it makes sense to have drafted one in 2008 to develop for whatever...and unless he performs a lot better Guts will have a clear path to the PS.

BTW - there is no viable veteran QB available who could run this team, and there won't be. Anyone who gets released now will have not stuck on a roster in a league where teams are desperate for QB's who can even start a little... It took Vinny and Flutie a full off season plus to begin to grasp this offense - not that either of them could have run it much better than Cassel at their ages... As for Simms, he's fried. Gruden cooked him early on and he hasn't even been remotely the same since his injury. He's not coming in here in week 2 to learn a sight adjusted offense. And neither is Griese.

I am really surprised that Culpepper is still looking for a job - He can't even make it as a backup -
that leg and injury but be killing his chances of remaining in the league because we all know his arm is about as strong as it gets as a QB,Its his accuracy post-Moss that has teams guessing whether he has anything left as well as his legs which are most likely questionable anymore.

I am really surprised that Culpepper is still looking for a job - He can't even make it as a backup -
that leg and injury but be killing his chances of remaining in the league because we all know his arm is about as strong as it gets as a QB,Its his accuracy post-Moss that has teams guessing whether he has anything left as well as his legs which are most likely questionable anymore.

I'm not. I'm astounded that people don't grasp the fact that HE COULD NOT RUN THIS OFFENSE IF HIS LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. He can't read defenses, he makes bad decisions, repeatedly, he's not a leader or much of a teamate. He has none of the qualities Bill looks for in a QB for this roster. Rohan Davey had arm strength. He couldn't run this offense either.

Re: What Should Happen To Matt Cassell?

Exactly...

I have no idea why people keep talking about trading Cassell. He was a 7th rd pick who never started a college game who has gotten worse in each of the last 3 years...who would ever given anything up for him? It doesn't make sense. He will be released along with Guiterez and a veteran will be brought in for the #2 qb spot. It's not like these guys are going to be hard to cut...they have never done anything!
Come on man, we can trade him for *takes drag of joint* a couple of first rounders.... Far out man!

I'm not. I'm astounded that people don't grasp the fact that HE COULD NOT RUN THIS OFFENSE IF HIS LIFE DEPENDED ON IT. He can't read defenses, he makes bad decisions, repeatedly, he's not a leader or much of a teamate. He has none of the qualities Bill looks for in a QB for this roster. Rohan Davey had arm strength. He couldn't run this offense either.

That's the point. BB's criteria for QBs is very different from the NFL fanbase's view. The sight adjusted offense is difficult to master. If there were such a qualified vet available, BB would have had him signed and at least trying out in camp. There wasn't. He didn't.

Since Pennington, who I believe could run this offense given weeks of prep is Phin bound, we have what we have. It's Josh & Co's task to get one or more of the other QBs in camp to the stage where they can manage an in season game. EDIT: I don't envy them.

Last edited:
The problem with Cassel is that he has never looked good throwing the ball.

But other than throwing the ball he's a helluva passer!

Bill prefers to start with a blank slate with some tools along with sufficient willingness and some capacity to learn. Most veterans come with a host of bad habits and predispositions ingrained over several seasons. It's tough to teach an old dog new tricks. Flutie and Vinny and even Miller were brought in less to back up Brady then to step in briefly in a dire emergnecy (where they can be more effective than they were long term) and help mentor the youngsters so one could take over in the event of a long term need and provide a sounding board for Brady in transition from Charlie to Josh. That's why they move on. Most veterans worth their salt don't want to be a 3, they want to be a spot starter or better or hang 'em up rather than submit to the grind.

What good did it do Carolina to have Vinny (or David Carr) on board? Guys who had at least shown they could win a game here and there? Absolutely none. 'Cause that is at best all they can do, and most any remotely functional QB could do that here because the rest of the team is that good. None of them are going to replace Brady, so it's more likely that a youngster who at least has a thorough grasp of this offense might settle in and do a decent job of running it if the unthinkable happened and Brady was lost for an extended period. Cassel hasn't had many opportunities to settle in, though the one time he did he performed better as that game went on. That's kind of the reverse of the grizzled vet who can look good short term and then just struggle because they aren't adept at your offense - they revert to form (which often includes forcing situations or getting injured) and most teams have a book on that form...the one thing they don't have on any backup here is a book. Bill hasn't allowed one to be written... All opponents know is they can make most of the throws or they wouldn't be here, and they show more athletic potential as runners than Brady. Bill is banking on them gradually improving with game reps, whereas the veterans so many want here would likely regress with added exposure.

Part of me just wants the plug pulled on Cassel, but at the same time I think I would like to see him finish pre-season and go from there. If he can't show anything by the end of the next 3 weeks that justify a spot on this team, as with anyone else he should go.

Part of me just wants the plug pulled on Cassel, but at the same time I think I would like to see him finish pre-season and go from there. If he can't show anything by the end of the next 3 weeks that justify a spot on this team, as with anyone else he should go.

You only "go" if someone else on the roster shows more at the position. The rookie can't be the #2. Neither can some 11th hour pick up off the waiver wire... For all his work ethic, Gutz looks to be losing ground daily. So regardless of what fans think, unless Gutierrez demonstrably overtakes him, Cassel isn't "going" anywhere but to the next practice, and the next...

You only "go" if someone else on the roster shows more at the position. The rookie can't be the #2. Neither can some 11th hour pick up off the waiver wire... For all his work ethic, Gutz looks to be losing ground daily. So regardless of what fans think, unless Gutierrez demonstrably overtakes him, Cassel isn't "going" anywhere but to the next practice, and the next...

In your opinion has he shown anything that resembles a starting QB at this point in his career based on anything you have seen? My frustration at the drastic drop off at our QB spot aside, if he proves that he isn't capable as a back-up then why is it so outlandish for me to suggest they find someone who is? I wasn't saying that the rookie or "Gutz" should take the second spot, there are always other options. Will we sign another back-up veteran QB? No, we both know that. Is Cassel going to be the #2 man this year again? Most likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes