PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What RB would you like IF we took one early?

We are not going to be in the position to draft CJ Spiller. I would like either Dwyer or Jahvid Best.

Sign me up for Toby Gerhart. I like powerbacks. Guy that'll constantly leave you in 3rd-and-short or get you the tough yards even when everyone on the D is gearing up to stop it. Screw the RB as a "home-run threat". They'll give you negative plays and leave you in 3rd and long a lot more often than they'll break a long one.

HRs/quick strikes are what we pay Randy Moss all that money for.

Last edited:
Ingram is a beast but there is no gaurntee in football, Ingram could (God forbid) tear an ACL or have a terrible season. You have to draft for now.

i was thinking about this today
if BB was in fact drafting for now he would have asked for a 2010 1st for seymour instead of a 2011 1st

Sign me up for Toby Gerhart. I like powerbacks. Guy that'll constantly leave you in 3rd-and-short or get you the tough yards even when everyone on the D is gearing up to stop it. Screw the RB as a "home-run threat". They'll give you negative plays and leave you in 3rd and long a lot more often than they'll break a long one.

HRs/quick strikes are what we pay Randy Moss all that money for.
Randy Moss is a 32 year old declining WR with a bad back on his last year of a contract

Assuming we could pick them up through FA, wouldn't we be better off grabbing Ronnie Brown or Leon Washington?

Randy Moss is a 32 year old declining WR with a bad back on his last year of a contract

The point remains the same. Quick strikes should come from the passing game. I want slow, steady progress down the field from the running game.

The point remains the same. Quick strikes should come from the passing game. I want slow, steady progress down the field from the running game.

great i wouldnt mind that either but why draft a RB like toby gerhart when our offense wont commit to the type of run game where he would be successful?

I like Ben Tate as well as a later pick. He's patient, elusive and powerful. He's not fast but he seems to have great vision and can find positive yards in a pinch. Deceptively good back....

To be honest, I have no clue why Tate's regarded as a later pick. Every time I've seen him play he's been outstanding. I think he's probably a notch behind Dwyer and Matthews.

I like Stafon Johnson too. He'd be a good late-pick guy, IMO.

I would love for the Pats to draft Spiller, although I'm pretty convinced that he will be gone by #22.

The back after him that intrigues me the most is Lagarrette Blount from Oregon. A big, brusing back in the Corey Dillon mode. Leblount was suppose to be a Heisman candiate, but he punched that kid from Boise St, and he got suspended for the majority of the season.

But the good news is that he stayed on the team, practiced all year, and took his punishment and came back and hlepd out the team. I loved him around the goaline, he seemed to just will the ball in. He has tremendous size 6'1" 240 and can be the everydown brusing back that this team needs.

Plus he will not go until at the very earliset the 3rd round.

The shelf life of a NFL RB is about 5 years, so trading for one, really doesn't make sense. Even Dillon, who be all accounts was a great sucess, the Pats only got 2 years out of him.

Yeah it was a real waste to trade for Dillon and to only get two years from him. BTW, how did we do in those two years?

I would love for the Pats to draft Spiller, although I'm pretty convinced that he will be gone by #22.

The back after him that intrigues me the most is Lagarrette Blount from Oregon. A big, brusing back in the Corey Dillon mode. Leblount was suppose to be a Heisman candiate, but he punched that kid from Boise St, and he got suspended for the majority of the season.

But the good news is that he stayed on the team, practiced all year, and took his punishment and came back and hlepd out the team. I loved him around the goaline, he seemed to just will the ball in. He has tremendous size 6'1" 240 and can be the everydown brusing back that this team needs.

The shelf life of a NFL RB is about 5 years, so trading for one, really doesn't make sense. Even Dillon, who be all accounts was a great sucess, the Pats only got 2 years out of him.

I don't see Blount on NE's draft board.

Yeah it was a real waste to trade for Dillon and to only get two years from him. BTW, how did we do in those two years?

It obviously wasn't a waste to get 2 years out of Dillon with one of them being a SB championship. Even 1 year is worthwhile if you get a championship out of it. But I'm sure the FO hoped to get a bit more.

We traded for Dillon coming off of a SB championship, and knowing we would be in serious contention for another one. Right now, we are several pieces away from being in serious contention.

Would you trade a 1st round pick for Stephen Jackson? Younger than Dillon when we got him, but similar wear and tear (6 years, 1500+ carries, 9000+ yards). No doubt he'd make a difference in our running game. But how long will his body hold up, especially given his physical style? And would he be enough to put us back in serious contention? I don't think so.

But I would consider trading a 1st for Jonathan Stewart. 405 carries, 1900* yards. Should be good for 5-7 years of very physical, aggressive running.

It obviously wasn't a waste to get 2 years out of Dillon with one of them being a SB championship. Even 1 year is worthwhile if you get a championship out of it. But I'm sure the FO hoped to get a bit more.

We traded for Dillon coming off of a SB championship, and knowing we would be in serious contention for another one. Right now, we are several pieces away from being in serious contention.

Would you trade a 1st round pick for Stephen Jackson? Younger than Dillon when we got him, but similar wear and tear (6 years, 1500+ carries, 9000+ yards). No doubt he'd make a difference in our running game. But how long will his body hold up, especially given his physical style? And would he be enough to put us back in serious contention? I don't think so.

But I would consider trading a 1st for Jonathan Stewart. 405 carries, 1900* yards. Should be good for 5-7 years of very physical, aggressive running.

I dont know why I keep seeing this, its not going to happen. Carolina drafted Stewart 2 years ago in the first and its not like he hasnt show anything. Carolina is certainly pleased with his production and they arnt giving him up for anything short of multiple 1st round picks plus young talent and IMO we cant afford to part with either.

I dont know why I keep seeing this, its not going to happen. Carolina drafted Stewart 2 years ago in the first and its not like he hasnt show anything. Carolina is certainly pleased with his production and they arnt giving him up for anything short of multiple 1st round picks plus young talent and IMO we cant afford to part with either.

I never said it was going to happen. But that doesn't mean it's not worth considering. Carolina has no 1st this year, and while Stewart has been solid for them he's still their #2 back behind DeAngelo Williams. They could decide that they need to address other areas and can get a solid #2 back behind Williams more cheaply in the draft.

I doubt they would do the deal. I just said I would consider proposing it if no one else I like slips to 22.

For me, there is no greater waste of analysis than those posts who list all the players in the league that we would like to trade for if only they can be gotten for a reasonable value.

For me, those come right after considering every free agent and how he would help the patriots if he would sign for us for a reasonable amount, which is usually thought to be much less than what others are being offered.

just my 2 cents. Obviously there is lots of interest in such posts.

I never said it was going to happen. But that doesn't mean it's not worth considering. Carolina has no 1st this year, and while Stewart has been solid for them he's still their #2 back behind DeAngelo Williams. They could decide that they need to address other areas and can get a solid #2 back behind Williams more cheaply in the draft.

I doubt they would do the deal. I just said I would consider proposing it if no one else I like slips to 22.

Yeah. Blount is, quite literally, a bruiser. I can actually see him falling past the second round. If he does, he would be a great "value" pick if we can get an OLB, DE, RG, and acquire a third round pick.

I don't see Blount on NE's draft board.

How do you get to see their board???:D

I think Blount's trangression was a micro-second mistake, with that Boise player yakking in his ear. He had a whole year pratically of being looked upon in a bad light, I think for a young kid he has paid his dues.

And we might like some toughness from north and south runners. And he doesn't like to lose.

I can see BB easily looking past that one punch.

How do you get to see their board???:D

I think Blount's trangression was a micro-second mistake, with that Boise player yakking in his ear. He had a whole year pratically of being looked upon in a bad light, I think for a young kid he has paid his dues.

And we might like some toughness from north and south runners. And he doesn't like to lose.

I can see BB easily looking past that one punch.
"Micro-second? One punch?" I count at least three in this clip which doesn't show all the activity from start to finish, which I got to see live and in replay as the coverage team reviewed his meltdown a couple different times. Please note he had already been suspended to start Training Camp for his previous behavior - this is not a one time incident, there's a pattern of behavior here.

YouTube - Oregon vs. Boise St. 9/3/2009 LeGarrette Blount Goes Postal - Chip Kelly's First Game

Let's not forget the reason he had a Boise State player in his ear is because he shot off his big mouth before the game then stunk on ice as Boise's defense shut him down: -5 yds on 8 carries, stuffed for a safety, two-point conversion.

That was his first game of the season, let's check his last game: 5 carries, 18* yds, 1 TD, 1 fumble lost. *The box score says he had 36 yds, but the play-by-play totals 18. He had runs of 3, 0, 8, 7, 3.

I'm still upset with the NCAA for reinstating him, I can only imagine what King Roger the demented would hand down to a NE player who acted the way he did. If you want a crappy attitude on the team let's at least lobby for someone who produces in the game - for our team.

Last edited:
"Micro-second? One punch?" I count at least three in this clip which doesn't show all the activity from start to finish, which I got to see live and in replay as the coverage team reviewed his meltdown a couple different times. Please note he had already been suspended to start Training Camp for his previous behavior - this is not a one time incident, there's a pattern of behavior here.

And yet I remember Logan Mankins being ejected from a game in Denver for punching an opponent in the groin.

I have no problem selecting Blount on Day 2.

And yet I remember Logan Mankins being ejected from a game in Denver for punching an opponent in the groin.

I have no problem selecting Blount on Day 2.
Yep, Mankins retaliated for Ekuban stomping/standing on his hand, and Blount punched a Boise State player, some of his teammates, and looked like he took a shot at stadium security too - I can see the parallel right away. :ugh:

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Back