PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What RB would you like IF we took one early?

If we want to have a better running game, we need a top OF, a FB and a TE or two (with Watson leaving). These are much more important than getting an improvement from our four running backs.

And just BTW, I don't want to emphasize the running game. I would much prefer that we get another receiver or two, and an OC, and have a better passing game.

I don't want us to be a run-first team, but I would like us to be diversified. My ideal model would be something like the Saints, with too many offensive weapons to cover and balance between run and pass. You can still be pass-first and an explosive offense while having balance. It doesn't have to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Part of the key is to integrate the backs into the passing attack more the way the Saints do. That will open things up considerably. First, teams won't always know we're going to run when we have a running back in the backfield, and pass when we don't. Second, our OL will never be a dominant run-blocking line as long as protecting Brady is our 1st priority, and getting the ball to the backs with some room to do their thing is more efficient then having them try to run into a crowd.

I am not sure we take one in the first 2 rounds but we can if we want.
Be nice to have CJ Spiller who can break it any time but I kinda like a more power runner like Toby Gerhart.

Pass Rush is more important but we all know BB and IF someone drops to us he make take him.

Who's your guy if we went this route?
Cousin, I am with you on Gerhert. 1,800 yards on a mediocre team and 27 TDs. Not even close. Spiller is like 190lbs. What is everyone thinking? He is a Steve Slaton type who will get run down after a while like Slaton did.
Gehert is like Dillon.
I would rather concentrate on some D areas and pick up LenDale White. We laughed at the Vikes for "overpaying" for Allen. Where can we get one of those. BTW Is DE Ray Edwards going to be an UFA? He looked great today and I believe the Pats considered him in the Draft.
DW Toys

I want the top picks to either go to the D-Line, O-Line or pass rush. I'd rather see the Pats go after an FA like Jerious Norwood or Chester Taylor who both can probably be had cheap and can not only be the number one back but can pass block.

Cousin, I am with you on Gerhert. 1,800 yards on a mediocre team and 27 TDs. Not even close. Spiller is like 190lbs. What is everyone thinking? He is a Steve Slaton type who will get run down after a while like Slaton did.
Gehert is like Dillon.
I would rather concentrate on some D areas and pick up LenDale White. We laughed at the Vikes for "overpaying" for Allen. Where can we get one of those. BTW Is DE Ray Edwards going to be an UFA? He looked great today and I believe the Pats considered him in the Draft.
DW Toys

You got it backwords cuz, Spiller will most likely show up at the combine at about 200, right now hes 195. Spiller isnt like a steve slaton but more like a Felix Jones. He can do pretty much everything and hes a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball. Now if you want a Dillion type back, Toby Gerhart isnt your man either, I dont see Gerhart with a long career at all because a) he runs straight up and down just asking to take big hits and b) Hes the type of back that a team will give the ball to 25 times. Gerhart is no homerun threat in the NFL 0, Zilch, nothing. He will be best used as a short yardage back. We dont have some sort of great runing oline so its not like they are just going to pave the way for Gerhart and its not like he has any moves what so ever so honestly he wouldn't be a successful back here IMO. Dwyer is your best option if you want a Corey Dillion type back who can take the ball 20-25 times a game. I want that Felix Jones type with game breaking speed and good hands. I say a running back rotation of Morris Maroney Spiller is much better than Morris Maroney Gehart. Ryan Matthews is another back who could be like a Kill the Clock Corey type. No hes not like Ray Rice but more like Ryan Grant of the Packers.

I think that Taylor, Morris and Faulk all fit this model well, Maroney a bit less well since he isn't as good as a receiver (but is a better kick returner).

For me, the problem is not personnel (although a young back and a short yardage back or fullback would be fine with me)

The issue is scheme. We notice the lack of running game because the passing game is not diversified enough. Brady needs to use 7-8 targets a game. I would note that both the colts running game and the chargers running game are pretty ineffective. I wouldn't expect ours to be much better as long as we are a Brady run offense. The saints are certainly a passing team. Ther reason their running game seems effective is because their QB, receivers and offensive schemes are so good.

I suppose we can spend a 1st, 2nd and 4th and hope for a Reggie Bush. I just don't expect us to do that. The offense would do much better adding a starting OG, speed receiver and a kick returner in the 4th.

I don't want us to be a run-first team, but I would like us to be diversified. My ideal model would be something like the Saints, with too many offensive weapons to cover and balance between run and pass. You can still be pass-first and an explosive offense while having balance. It doesn't have to be 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Part of the key is to integrate the backs into the passing attack more the way the Saints do. That will open things up considerably. First, teams won't always know we're going to run when we have a running back in the backfield, and pass when we don't. Second, our OL will never be a dominant run-blocking line as long as protecting Brady is our 1st priority, and getting the ball to the backs with some room to do their thing is more efficient then having them try to run into a crowd.

Spiller is a no brainer. I've been wanting to draft a replacement for Faulk for a few years now, but if we can get Spiller he'd be a perfect it. Our team would look a lot like the Titans with Spiller (Johnson) and Maroney (White). Now if we had some OL to help block...

we dont need to draft a running back early, especially not the first or second.

:yeahthat:

We saw time and again this year that our OL cant run block - at all - so whats the point of putting a rookie RB in behind a line when he'l get the ball with 3 defenders in his face

We need new faces on both lines - thats where the game is won and lost and why we lost out last year *that and my Grandma could have done a better job calling the offense*

:yeahthat:

We saw time and again this year that our OL cant run block - at all - so whats the point of putting a rookie RB in behind a line when he'l get the ball with 3 defenders in his face

We need new faces on both lines - thats where the game is won and lost and why we lost out last year *that and my Grandma could have done a better job calling the offense*

That's like saying we cant stop the pass so why waste a pick on a corner when we could load up on the run, It doesn't work like that but you do have to be careful of the type of back you pick because if you take a between the tackles runner and throw him in a zone blocking scheme without great blocking (we had more rushing yards than the vikings I think) he might get swallowed up, but a game breaker like spiller who doesn't necessarily need great blocking because of his ability to make a guy miss in the backfield could prove useful in the running and passing game.

The Pats need to take Toby off their draft board completely before Belichick gets a Tommy Vardell flashback and trades into the top 10 to get him.

Some would think using our first round draft choice on a running back shows "no-brains", indeed a no-brainer.

Mayo is careful to show us trading up for an additional first to get Spiller.

Using our only first for a running back may indeed be a no-brainer but not in the sense you mean,

And just BTW, if we draft offense at 22, I suspect that Belichick is much more likely to draft an OG or a TE.

Spiller is a no brainer. I've been wanting to draft a replacement for Faulk for a few years now, but if we can get Spiller he'd be a perfect it. Our team would look a lot like the Titans with Spiller (Johnson) and Maroney (White). Now if we had some OL to help block...

The Pats need to take Toby off their draft board completely before Belichick gets a Tommy Vardell flashback and trades into the top 10 to get him.
Good Belichick reference but Vardell was a FB, at least Gerhardt could be a 25 carry per game runner (though a horrible pick for us IMO).

And just BTW, if we draft offense at 22, I suspect that Belichick is much more likely to draft an OG or a TE.
If he's there and his knee checks out I will be surprised if we pass on Gresham.

You got it backwords cuz, Spiller will most likely show up at the combine at about 200, right now hes 195. Spiller isnt like a steve slaton but more like a Felix Jones. He can do pretty much everything and hes a homerun threat everytime he touches the ball. Now if you want a Dillion type back, Toby Gerhart isnt your man either, I dont see Gerhart with a long career at all because a) he runs straight up and down just asking to take big hits and b) Hes the type of back that a team will give the ball to 25 times. Gerhart is no homerun threat in the NFL 0, Zilch, nothing. He will be best used as a short yardage back. We dont have some sort of great runing oline so its not like they are just going to pave the way for Gerhart and its not like he has any moves what so ever so honestly he wouldn't be a successful back here IMO. Dwyer is your best option if you want a Corey Dillion type back who can take the ball 20-25 times a game. I want that Felix Jones type with game breaking speed and good hands. I say a running back rotation of Morris Maroney Spiller is much better than Morris Maroney Gehart. Ryan Matthews is another back who could be like a Kill the Clock Corey type. No hes not like Ray Rice but more like Ryan Grant of the Packers.

Why would you even include Maroney??? He is the reason we are talking about another RB.
Anyway, did you ever see Jim Brown run? Kind of straight up and down, wasn't he?
A pure myth on that stat.

I'd rather get LenDale White and save the top choices for some defense play makers than some of those above guys.
Between the tackles like Greene and Jones did yesterday wears the opposition down. The first few series, the Chargers stopped it but after the Jets refused to switch it started to kill San Diego. Remember the Jets have to do this by necessity because of the Rookie.
I can see Whte as a 25 carry guy. He is only 25.
DW Toys

Thought Cousin Mayo?
What about a trade to get Jackson from the Rams? The Rams are blowing smoke, and will deal if the right deal comes along.
It's just the threat of the run that could make this offense better. Think about it this way. What team fears Maroney, Morris or at this time in his career Taylor? If Jackson could take a little pressure off we could be o.k. Jackson also had 51 receptions this year.
He would make a big difference even if he did not have 324 carries per season like the Rams.
Perhaps Light and a first (throw in Maroney) for Jackson and we still have 3 seconds for DL and OL help.
Without the CBA you will have less FA available and trades may increse.
DW Toys

There will be lots of running backs available in free agency or through trades, both before and after the draft. We many higher draft needs. I wopuld think that we would certainly consider Spiller if he were available, but no one else in the first four rounds.

There will be lots of running backs available in free agency or through trades, both before and after the draft. We many higher draft needs. I wopuld think that we would certainly consider Spiller if he were available, but no one else in the first four rounds.
MG with the absence of the CBA looming, I see Trades coming back as never before. Do you agree? We can save some picks to build up the Team but Drafts take at least three years to revolve. Does TB have three years of SB trips left for certain?

I would not mind to see a RB taken at some point, but the Trade route I would take in a minute if we get some proven talent asap.

Let's take this years top picks. We have a one, three twos and a forth along with a sixth and big woop, two sevenths. Would you take them as they stand or swap them for:

Steven Jackson for our first rounder and our fourth and Maroney (they would need a starting RB and Maroney is from St.Louis)
Bolden for our top #2 our first #7 and Brace (Older D line issues) and AD if they would take him (losing Dansby)
Urlacher for our second #2 and Light (the Bears need a LT)
Ray Edwards for our third #2 and our 6th and our second #7 and they need a CB maybe Weatley or Wilhite as cannon fodder

Pick up Owen Daniel TE, Keith Bullock OLB, Urban (great ST and blazing speed. 6'3" and 207 lbs, 41 receptions as your number 4 WR), David Baas 6'4" 330 lb Right Guard, only 28 (Baas and Mankins can push the pile to help Kopen)and Aaron Kampman DE/LB in FA

Just a fantasy but a 2010 much better, tougher team.
DW Toys

Last edited:
I don't think the Patriots will select a running back early. So three running back that intrigue me in the late rounds are Ben Tate, Joique Bell and Deji Karim.

Why would you even include Maroney??? He is the reason we are talking about another RB.
Anyway, did you ever see Jim Brown run? Kind of straight up and down, wasn't he?
A pure myth on that stat.

I'd rather get LenDale White and save the top choices for some defense play makers than some of those above guys.
Between the tackles like Greene and Jones did yesterday wears the opposition down. The first few series, the Chargers stopped it but after the Jets refused to switch it started to kill San Diego. Remember the Jets have to do this by necessity because of the Rookie.
I can see Whte as a 25 carry guy. He is only 25.
DW Toys

I doubt the Pats just cut Maroney, yes he hasnt been what we thought he would be but honestly he still has some value to this team. Im not even going to compare Toby Gerhart to the best back of all time. Dont get me wrong Toby will probably have a great career while it lasts but he needs some tweaking and possibly a position change at the next level. He doesnt have the speed/ or athleticism to run the ball like a Thomas Jones or Shonn Greene. I agree with you on White btw.

Thought Cousin Mayo?
What about a trade to get Jackson from the Rams? The Rams are blowing smoke, and will deal if the right deal comes along.
It's just the threat of the run that could make this offense better. Think about it this way. What team fears Maroney, Morris or at this time in his career Taylor? If Jackson could take a little pressure off we could be o.k. Jackson also had 51 receptions this year.
He would make a big difference even if he did not have 324 carries per season like the Rams.
Perhaps Light and a first (throw in Maroney) for Jackson and we still have 3 seconds for DL and OL help.
Without the CBA you will have less FA available and trades may increse.
DW Toys

No thanks.

I don't want to use up our valuable draft picks in trades unless the value is too good to pass up. And that's way too much to spend on Jackson. Jackson has been a great back, no question; but he has 6 seasons totalling over 1500 rushes and 6700 yards under his treads. That's too much wear and tear, especially for a very physical back. His body will start to break down in a couple of years at most. For comparison, Corey Dillon (a similar physical style back) had 7 seasons and 1602 carries before he came to the Pats. We got one good season out of him before his body broke down.

I want fresh legs. I'd trade for Jonathan Stewart (405 carries and 1969 yards) over Stephen Jackson any day. I still wouldn't give up what you have, though.

No thanks.

I don't want to use up our valuable draft picks in trades unless the value is too good to pass up. And that's way too much to spend on Jackson. Jackson has been a great back, no question; but he has 6 seasons totalling over 1500 rushes and 6700 yards under his treads. That's too much wear and tear, especially for a very physical back. His body will start to break down in a couple of years at most. For comparison, Corey Dillon (a similar physical style back) had 7 seasons and 1602 carries before he came to the Pats. We got one good season out of him before his body broke down.

I want fresh legs. I'd trade for Jonathan Stewart (405 carries and 1969 yards) over Stephen Jackson any day. I still wouldn't give up what you have, though.
Either would work for me.
DW Toys

I don't think the Patriots will select a running back early. So three running back that intrigue me in the late rounds are Ben Tate, Joique Bell and Deji Karim.

I like Ben Tate as well as a later pick. He's patient, elusive and powerful. He's not fast but he seems to have great vision and can find positive yards in a pinch. Deceptively good back....

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back