PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What person was the reason for us not winning another Super Bowl in this decade??

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who was the cause of the end of the dynasty

• Reche Caldwell

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • David Tyree

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • John Tommase

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Bernard Pollard

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Belichick's personal decisions

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • The loss of Scott Pioli

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Too much of being like the Colts

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • The loss of Josh Mcdaniels

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Patriot Place

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arlen Spector...

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about just plain bad luck. It seemed every year there was an injury to a key contributor or two. Injuries are part of the game, but some years it seemed the pats had an inordinate amount.

Last edited:
The poll results clearly state that BB's decisions concerning the draft and other personnel have been holding this team back during the last five years. Unfortunately, it has taken people on this board this long to finally realize it when I noticed this downward trend two years ago. I said at the end of the '08 season, that this was BB's biggest off season to date and had to ace the draft and pick up solid free agents in order to compete for a super bowl in '09. He failed miserably with the draft and did okay in free agency. Most of you guys will continue to fight me on this, but their recent draft was terrible considering the quality of picks they had going into the draft. Not one player made an impact on either side of the ball from the '09 draft. However, that guy could've been their biggest reach in Vollmer but they decided to play musical chairs with him at tackle. Also, while Butler had his ups and downs, BB continued to play musical chairs with him and Wilhite at CB. In the end, this team didn't accomplish one thing in '09 but regress.

The sad thing is you can't understand that no one is perfect. ALso you can't seem to understand that you either have BB the entire person or you do not have BB at all. He built this team and brought us 3 titles in 4 years, the same exact person, methods, logic, intelligence that you BLAME for not winning it after that

The sad thing is you can't understand that no one is perfect. ALso you can't seem to understand that you either have BB the entire person or you do not have BB at all. He built this team and brought us 3 titles in 4 years, the same exact person, methods, logic, intelligence that you BLAME for not winning it after that
I guess you won't mind watching the Pats erode because that is exactly what they are doing. After '09, you can't name one area of their team where they have actually improved.

I don't think the dynasty is necessarily over for the Pats. After all, we didn't do all that bad this season. Brady was comeback player of the year, we tied a record with our win over the Titans, we won the AFC East title, and for the most part the Pats were competitive. Also, our record this year was better than 2002, tied with 2005, and in terms of points for and against better than 2008, and our point differential was the Pats third best in the decade. That said, the performance this year was very uneven. I think the Pats need major changes in order to make a true comeback, but the dynasty lives on.

New England Patriots Team Encyclopedia | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I guess you won't mind watching the Pats erode because that is exactly what they are doing. After '09, you can't name one area of their team where they have actually improved.

offense is far superior. And defense is working towards replacing veterans that all got old together. I guess you just enjoy whining with some odd sense of entitlement that your favorite team should always be at the top no matter what. Enjoy it for what it is... a decades worth of good-great football in an era that is incredibly difficult to remain competitive each year. And it's not ending anytime soon.

No Deion Branch option?

Because it's either him or the fact that we never replaced Willie McGinest.

Last edited:
No Deion Branch option?

Because it's either him or the fact that we never replaced Willie McGinest.
Ouch! This hurts.

We could have had Karlos Dansby in the 2004 draft, who was taken just after we took Ben Watson. That's your McGinest replacement right there.

2004 NFL Draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aside from the Champ miraculous run down Watson hasn't done anything and is outta here.

Threads like this make me reflect and realize how lucky I am to be a Patriot fan. Imagine being a Bills fan, who watched a team full of HOFers come up short 4 years in a row, or a Chargers fan, who watched one of the greatest offenses of all time (Air Coryell) not even make it to the big game. We're wondering why we didn't win ANOTHER superbowl this decade when we had none to begin with 10 years ago and now have 3, and declaring a dynasty over when just 2 years ago we were in the big game. I'm not content with losing, and I want the team to do everything it can to fix its issues in the offseason, but like someone else said, threads like this must look hilarious to fans of other teams

Re: Who was the biggest cause of the end of the dynasty??

Dynasty has been over since 2005. When I think "Dynasty" I think Super Bowl wins, not playoff appearances.

The whistle blower, Eric Mangini

==================================================

Mangini did nothing wrong, he had nothing to do with what ever strugles the Pats may have had.

Threads like this make me reflect and realize how lucky I am to be a Patriot fan. , threads like this must look hilarious to fans of other teams

=====================================================

Yea I wish I had your troubles.

Pats have enjoyed a great run due in most part to 2 people, as long as Brady a BB are with the Pats the fan base will continue to enjoy winning seasons.

I see the pats glass as half to 2/3s full. Most of the holes on the Pats could be fixed in 1 off season.

I will also say that during the last decade the Pats have played in a weak division, I believe that has changed, Dolphins and Jets are going to give the Pats fits in the coming years.

If I had to blame 1 person, I would blame Patsox23, no real reason at all, him or Ian, Possibly Patjew.:)

==================================================

Mangini did nothing wrong, he had nothing to do with what ever strugles the Pats may have had.

=====================================================

Yea I wish I had your troubles.

Pats have enjoyed a great run due in most part to 2 people, as long as Brady a BB are with the Pats the fan base will continue to enjoy winning seasons.

I see the pats glass as half to 2/3s full. Most of the holes on the Pats could be fixed in 1 off season.

I will also say that during the last decade the Pats have played in a weak division, I believe that has changed, Dolphins and Jets are going to give the Pats fits in the coming years.

It was BBs doing, but Mangini blowing the wistle didn't help as with the team's talent being drained, not having that extra 1st round draft pick is a big deal right now.

How about the refs for not calling blatant holding against the Giants on Manning's BS miracle throw.

How about Asante Samuel for letting a game clinching INT go throw his hands?

It was BBs doing, but Mangini blowing the wistle didn't help as with the team's talent being drained, not having that extra 1st round draft pick is a big deal right now.

===================================================

The Jets were well aware of the Pats taping practices long before Mangini came to town. It was Tanenbaum, Mangini was busy coaching a game.

===================================================

The Jets were well aware of the Pats taping practices long before Mangini came to town. It was Tanenbaum, Mangini was busy coaching a game.

Agreed. Ten chars.

How about two SB's lost?

No injured hip to Colvin means he's ready to go, and we have no expensive Thomas to bring in.

No hip problem we beat Colts in Indy in AFC Championship Game, and stroll through the SB.

No AT means we have much better pieces in secondary, and another decent RB to make up for Morris's loss and crush Giants in 2007.

Two SB's

BTW, whoever said Dansby is wrong, he's not big enough to play BB's system.

Last edited:
Well because we would have crushed the Bears:

reche_caldwell_insane_1_1.jpg

well...if u want a defining moment its tyree....as much as i hate the guy....that was a tough catch

and it single handidly won the giants the SB

Re: Who was the biggest cause of the end of the dynasty??

I like where you're going with this, Sean, because it probably is time for all of us to start realizing we're not the 2003/2004 powerhouse anymore...

Starting with the 2006 AFC Championship Game vs. the Colts, the varnish has been coming off. The 16-0 2007 season only lulled into a sense of false security and delayed what was coming.

Incidentally, I wuold still say if the 2004 Patriots played the 2007 Patriots, the 2004 team would win, because they were tougher and more gritty.

All that said, we should also accept that this just happens.

You cannot be great forever.

Every so-called "dynastic" team hits the skids and then, hopefully, rebuilds for another era of greatness.

The 60's Packers; the 70's Steelers, Dolphins & Cowboys; the 80's Niners & Raiders; the 90's Cowboys & Bills, the 2000's Patriots....all had their moments in the sun and all had to hit a rebuilding period. It will happen to the 2000's Colts, too. It just doesn't last forever. It can't!

Hopefully, we'll still get a decent team while we rebuild and not have to fall back into the ranks of the 4-12, 5-11 teams again. (This is something I DO NOT see happening with Brady on the team, btw).

Tough season. It's over. I think this will be one of the more interesting offseasons in recent memory, so we've got that to look forward to. Uncapped year coming with a LOT of holes to fill and garbage to take out (Get your bags packed Adalius Thomas & Laurence Maroney).

Exactly!! I agree 100%. If you're angry about not being good this year, go cry a river and root for the Jets!

Guys i've said it before, and i'll say it again. The blame is 100% on the FOOTBALL GODS. Bill angered them. They were tired of him winning, and said enough is enough. The Football Gods watched as Tommy scored that TD against the Giants, and decided it was time to take matters into their own hands. The rest, is history. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes