PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What person was the reason for us not winning another Super Bowl in this decade??

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Who was the cause of the end of the dynasty

• Reche Caldwell

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • David Tyree

Votes: 45 37.2%
  • John Tommase

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Bernard Pollard

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Belichick's personal decisions

Votes: 35 28.9%
  • The loss of Scott Pioli

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Too much of being like the Colts

Votes: 12 9.9%
  • The loss of Josh Mcdaniels

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Patriot Place

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Arlen Spector...

Votes: 1 0.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Who was the biggest cause of the end of the dynasty??

Why this pressing need to declare "the dynasty is over"? As far as I know, nobody has even defined what "dynasty" means for an NFL team. The Patriots haven't had a losing season since 2000 and have dominated the AFC East. I'd say these are still good times.

Agreed. This thread is driving me nuts. I love the one about the 2006 and 2007 teams gave us fans a false sense of security. My word.

Agreed. This thread is driving me nuts. I love the one about the 2006 and 2007 teams gave us fans a false sense of security. My word.

I think the owner is getting a free ride here they are the ones that set the budget meaning salary bonus money. The fact is what bonus money have we really spent lately? I really don't care about chasing free agents but pay the guys you have won with and have come through your system. Wilfork Is the poster child for what's wrong with this franchise he has played his contact out, has done evrything they have asked of him and do you think they are really going to sign him. I answer for you NO! They will franchise him of course there is no signing bonus and then let him go just like another All Pro they let go and still trying to replace.

99.99% Bill Belichick's fault.

0.01% Patriot Fan's fault for accepting it.

Spoiled whiny brats populate this board: it's that dumba$$ Belichick, no it's that cheapskate Kraft, no it's those clueless coordinators, no it's that lazy greedy Moss, no it's that model-bedazzled creaky quarterback who stole our candy!

(Surely you meant personnel decisions, not personal decisions; then again maybe not.)

no option for ref's... :D

Oops. I also forgot those sleep-robbing, focus sapping munchkins J.E.T. (what does Brady call him, anyway?) and Ben Brady.

I would vote for Asante Samuel easily, that dropped interception is WAAAAYYY WORST than reche Caldwell, he dropped them in against the colts, ASANTE DROPPED ONE IN THE SUPERBOWL, that was going to win us the game!!
I hate Samuel almost has I hate Peyton Manning

no option for ref's... :D

My thought was the ref that ignored the blatant holding of Richard Seymour by the neck on the helmet catch play.

Every time I see that replay, I see that hold and it galls me. It was so obvious and the hold was the reason why Eli had time to make the throw.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as "the" reason being a single play or person. Any number of things could alter things, just like any number of things could have prevented us from winning in 01, 03 and 04.

How could any poll/list not include Asante Samuel? HUGE omission from the OP. Samuel intercepts that damn ball we win the game. Period. End of story.

All of the other options fall into the realm of theories. It's Samuel.

I'll play along--even though the "dynasty" would now be over even if we had gone 19-0.

My nominee is Asante. He makes that pick and the game is over.

The answer is the same reason that the team had won 3 SBs, been to 4 and to the playoffs 7 out of 10 years - BB.

Doesn't mean he did a bad job, though. Even great CEOs make the wrong moves sometimes. Bill Gates has screwed up. So hasn't Jack Welch. It happens. Can't be perfect all the time and in hindsight, I guarantee that BB would want to do things over on a couple of fronts.

Last edited:

Tyree.

He doesn't catch the ball.

We win that game.

That's the one with the best odds of winning it all.

We'd be one play away from the invincible team and the undisputed best of all team.

Tyree.

He doesn't catch the ball.

We win that game.

That's the one with the best odds of winning it all.

We'd be one play away from the invincible team and the undisputed best of all team.

Each team we beat in the superbowl could point to 1 or 2 plays that would have gotten them the win too.

Plus there's no guarantee Eli doesn't succeed on 4th down if Tyree doesn't catch that.

Each team we beat in the superbowl could point to 1 or 2 plays that would have gotten them the win too.

Plus there's no guarantee Eli doesn't succeed on 4th down if Tyree doesn't catch that.

The question was, who was to blame that we didn't get another Superbowl.

Look at everyone named.

Percentage wise, which is the most likely to happen?

If Tyree doesn't perform a miracle, we have one play. A 4th and 10 with a pretty decent D, especially in a situation where you had to pass and there would be a better pass-rush with the better secondary.

We needed one play. What are the chances of converting a 4th and 10 (or whatever it was)? 20% maybe?

The question was, who was to blame that we didn't get another Superbowl.

Look at everyone named.

Percentage wise, which is the most likely to happen?

If Tyree doesn't perform a miracle, we have one play. A 4th and 10 with a pretty decent D, especially in a situation where you had to pass and there would be a better pass-rush with the better secondary.

We needed one play. What are the chances of converting a 4th and 10 (or whatever it was)? 20% maybe?

I'm saying the question is pointless and foolish. Any one person you BLAME for not winning is a person that helped get to that point in the first place. It's like if we make it to the superbowl and Brady throws a pick to end the game, you can claim it's his fault we lost but take Brady out of the team that year and you aren't in the superbowl to begin with.

The question is stupid and just feeds the odd desire to find a scapegoat. Realize that many factors go into winning superbowls and there are other teams that are filled with intelligence, talent and hard work as well working toward that same goal. Stop trying to BLAME people for not having more and be grateful for the 3 that we witnessed.

The chances are the same on 4th as they were on 3rd, btw

Last edited:
I think that with Deion Branch we beat the Colts in the 06 AFC championship and win the Superbowl. In 07 you can take your pick of the offensive linemen who failed huge in that game.

The poll results clearly state that BB's decisions concerning the draft and other personnel have been holding this team back during the last five years. Unfortunately, it has taken people on this board this long to finally realize it when I noticed this downward trend two years ago. I said at the end of the '08 season, that this was BB's biggest off season to date and had to ace the draft and pick up solid free agents in order to compete for a super bowl in '09. He failed miserably with the draft and did okay in free agency. Most of you guys will continue to fight me on this, but their recent draft was terrible considering the quality of picks they had going into the draft. Not one player made an impact on either side of the ball from the '09 draft. However, that guy could've been their biggest reach in Vollmer but they decided to play musical chairs with him at tackle. Also, while Butler had his ups and downs, BB continued to play musical chairs with him and Wilhite at CB. In the end, this team didn't accomplish one thing in '09 but regress.

Last edited:
2005: the refs in the Denver game
2006: the refs in the Colts game & Belichick's personnel decision on Deion Branch
2007: David Tyree, Asante Samuel, Belichick's game decision not to go for a field goal, Belichick's personnel decision on Deion Branch, no one blowing the whistle when Pierre Woods recovered the ball with no body around him.
2008: Bernard Pollard
2009: Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes