PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What PATs accomplished -- has it sunk in yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JR4

In the Starting Line-up
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I am overreacting. But I am sitting here and the thought hits me that
the PATs just grabbed two of the BEST Offensive weapons in the draft!

To me this is like .... unbelieveable ... this just doesn't happen all the
time does it? Am I dreaming?
Then to think that one of those weapons droped to the 2nd round!
Are PATs lucky or do we just have one of the greatest Front Office's ever!

I'd like to be a fly on the wall and hear BB and SP talking about what they
were able to do in this year's draft.

Where the rest of the league mostly went defense in a defense heavy draft, that left the offensive players to fall to us. Look for next year's offensive draft to have a similar effect, with us going defensive.

You want to thank Jay Cutler, or the Denver Broncos, or both. Just think if Denver would have kept their picks at 15 and 22, they could of had both of 'em (assuming NE went with a RB at 21).

To paraphrase Winston Wolf: Let's not start [bleeping] each others' [bleeps] just yet.

Sure its great they got two big offensive weapons (on paper). And they def. did benefit by going against the grain and not picking defense.

But I'd say 50% of the guys in the 1st and 2nd round prob. end up being just average players. Just bc they drafted a RB in the 1st and they got a WR with a 1st round grade in the 2nd doesn't mean these guys are making the Pro Bowl in a few years.

I agree I'm happy with the selections, but I'll reserve any further judgement until they at least put on pads.

What sunk in for me is that the Pats in the Belichick era have never had a receiver with the skills (speed, hands, size, etc.) and college production of Chad Jackson. If he works as hard as Givens did and if Branch and Brady can teach him the Pats offense, he could be a serious weapon.

Wouldn't that be fantastic? Branch and Jackson could be the perfect complements.

There are some of us who remember buying cheap tix to the ole beer can (section 306...top of the world, Ma!), freezing our butts off, then sliding down in a half empty stadium when the game started. Many times the opposition had as many fans there as we did. Slowly we built a real disgust and hatred of all of the star laden teams.

Then the Krafts bought and BB arrived. And we won championships. But not by becoming one of those superstar laden offensive juggernauts. Instead we outplayed and embarressed them. It was the best of times.

Now we have seen the Pats load up in this off season to be possibly one of those teams. You see, many of us here hate those teams and everything they stand for. Hell its a symbolic class war to us. So now we are not sure we like what has transpired in this off season. Time will tell, but out of deference to us, please at least keep the waa-hoo's down to a dull roar.

shirtsleeve said:
There are some of us who remember buying cheap tix to the ole beer can (section 306...top of the world, Ma!), freezing our butts off, then sliding down in a half empty stadium when the game started. Many times the opposition had as many fans there as we did. Slowly we built a real disgust and hatred of all of the star laden teams.

Then the Krafts bought and BB arrived. And we won championships. But not by becoming one of those superstar laden offensive juggernauts. Instead we outplayed and embarressed them. It was the best of times.

Now we have seen the Pats load up in this off season to be possibly one of those teams. You see, many of us here hate those teams and everything they stand for. Hell its a symbolic class war to us. So now we are not sure we like what has transpired in this off season. Time will tell, but out of deference to us, please at least keep the waa-hoo's down to a dull roar.

You must be an old coot with no spark left! I am excited and I will
enjoy it! I really feel bad for you that you let history ruin your future. SAD! :(

No Dull roar for me! :) I'm yelling it from the moutain top!
can you say PATRIOTS DYNASTY!

shirtsleeve said:

i got news for you. - we won three superbowls with the biggest star in the league

what do you want us to do? only draft players from william and mary? we haven't signed any extravagant free agents.

JR4 said:
You must be an old coot with no spark left! I am excited and I will
enjoy it! I really feel bad for you that you let history ruin your future. SAD! :(

No Dull roar for me! :) I'm yelling it from the moutain top!
can you say PATRIOTS DYNASTY!

Not really an old coot. Just a dinosaur. Priced out of the Razor. Called everthing from low brow, to hooligan, to rowdy by Kraft and co. But we were there when no one else was. No love.
still liked the giant killer Pats better. Plenty of spark for that. Rams or Dolts Redux? No spark at all.

shirtsleeve said:

I think you have now truly lost your mind and might as well move on to a team that will remind you of your Patriots of old.....yes, that right, shuffle yourself off to buffalo.

ayjackson said:
i got news for you. - we won three superbowls with the biggest star in the league

what do you want us to do? only draft players from william and mary? we haven't signed any extravagant free agents.

Nope, only two. The first he had a limited role and limited play book, remember?

And no I dont want to draft players from William and Mary only. But I was perfectly happy with a grind it out, workmanlike offense. But the linch pin of the whole team is its LB's. And look at where we are now compared to where we were then. I would really really hate it if we had to go out and outscore everyone to win, instead of forcing everyone else to under score us.

I like this draft too... my biggest concern is that Maroney's stats were inflated by his O-line. Look at the clips... he hardly ever has to break a tackle. However, he seems like a football player and a team guy. That's all good. :D

Posted this on another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick4
I think the Pats have done a good job of addressing any possible offensive situation that may happen during a game. Using different packages and player combinations, we now have enough skill players and blockers who will allow us to competently:
- Stretch the field for the long ball.
- Pound the ball in on 3rd-and-1 or at the goal line.
- Run traps and pulls on running plays.
- Throw screens and short dump-offs.
- Sell play action for gains both short, medium, and deep.
- Throw quick-outs and slants.
- Turn routine runs into gamebreaking TD's.
- Run trick plays and end-arounds.
- Others I can't think of right now.

It's almost as if every player on our depth chart is a tool with different sets of skills for different uses. When the offense is clicking, I think the Pats will routinely pull off 15-play, 10-minute, TD-scoring drives./Quote

For years, opposing QB's would shake their heads and throw their helmets to the ground after facing our defense. "You never know who's coming or what they're doing" was a commonplace. Now, it appears BB has the tools and an experienced, bright young OC to implement a game plan to make opposing defenses do the same.

Last edited:
Hey hey hey I can get behind what Shirtsleeve is saying here. I mean, on a sentimental level.

Look at it this way - the Pats are still winning the same way, zigging when they're supposed to zag, out-thinking the bad guys. It just so happens that there's more copying in this league than at your local Kinkos (right down to the Texans taking a Lineman instead of a purported once-in-a-decade running back.)

You think that happens in a vacuum? Uh-uh. The Pats, and their evil twins in Pixburgh, made it happen. Now, with the Pats stocked at the all-important 2-gap D lineman positions, everybody else hustles to copy the 3-4. Okay, not Houston... but picking the stud lineman first, how Belickick is that?

So here's where being who the Pats are really comes out: The Pats aren't just about a formula. Hell, the Pats' D, when it's hitting on all cylinders, looks mildly like Blitzburg one week, like a mainly 4-3 team, then like a bizarro universe team that sends in 8 DBs.

That's what the Pats do, make the most of every opportunity. It happens that the opportunities were on the offensive side of the ball this time around.

The Pats are a lunch-pail team, you never have to worry about that. And part of being a lunch-pail team is adapting to every circumstance. You're not a star, that does one thing well, and that needs to be coddled in that role. You are at work, and will complete "other duties as assigned."

You better believe that goes for our new toys too. I firmly believe the value chips fell mainly in the order you see reflected in this draft. When New Orleans was picking, the plan was not unfolding, but perhaps the readiness. By the time the Pats were up, they had to pick between reaching (!) for the best receiver in the draft, or taking the second best running back (a steal.) Then they got the receiver anyway!

I'm not too choked up that Chad Greenway won't be a Patriot, with this haul. And maybe, just maybe, it says something about what BB sees in our much maligned D - that TBC is ready to step it up, at least enough to be a solid starter. You don't replace and replicate from last season, just like you don't play the same D two games in a row, in Belichick's world.

That's for teams that don't always have "smart, aggressive, versatile" on the scouting report for every pick they get.

That's how the Pats are different - and the moment you pin them down as Defense First, Grind it Out, No Exceptions, you've lost a part of what they are.

PFnV

PS, we're still not going to the house every play. Relax. This seems geared to make red zone possessions actually yield touchdowns, not a bid for Indy-style "Triplets."

tombonneau said:
Sure its great they got two big offensive weapons (on paper). And they def. did benefit by going against the grain and not picking defense.

But I'd say 50% of the guys in the 1st and 2nd round prob. end up being just average players. Just bc they drafted a RB in the 1st and they got a WR with a 1st round grade in the 2nd doesn't mean these guys are making the Pro Bowl in a few years.
What's your problem? No one said pro bowl except you. What he said was we got two of the best offensive weapons in the draft.

What are your options? You are drafting. You pick the best players available. If you get two of them, you have done well. You should be pleased. The players don't automatically turn to crap because they were drafted.

Yeah, I hear you that not all first roundes live up to expectations. Disagree that half of first rounders are only average, and you know it if you look at all the first rounders of the last few drafts and see if they are average. (Regarding pro bowls, also look to see what percentage of pro bowl palyers come from first round as opposed to any later round. It is pure dumb to think the best players will mostly come from late rounds.

It is true that Laurence Maroney could be a bust and some UFDA could be a star. But only a moron would say that it is not better to pick the best RB and WR avaialble, and to wait and pick up UFDAs in the hope that they will beat the long odds and make the team, let alone be better than first round picks.

Even when a first rounder ends up a bust, only hindsight says that. At the time it was the right decision to go after teh best player available.

I know this is the time of year when some people get upset anyone is optimistic about the team. I just get tired of hearing "just because he was drafted in the first round doesn't mean isn't lousy."

As it says in the bible, "The race is not always to the swift, nor the contest to the strong, but that's the way to lay your bets."

shirtsleeve said:

You are saying that Kraft's and BB's plan was not to have good players? That they shouldn't have drafted Seymour? And should not have extended Brady? What are you saying?

We have to keep getting better players. Duh. What killed us last year was mistakes. Faulk's fumble. Hobbs' fumble. Brady's INT. We have to keep getting better players but get back to the solid, fundamental, turnover free football we were used to. Unfortunately that means less Faulk unless he quits dropping the ball. Maroney's career fumble numbers suggest he will not only be our most explosive RB since Martin but he'll be safe with the ball. And if we can actually run in the red area then Brady won't be forced into INTs like he threw at Denver.

Meanwhile the "D" is resting on the bench with a lead.....

MDPATSFAN said:
Meanwhile the "D" is resting on the bench with a lead.....

No sir, not at all.
My idea of a tight defensive game
is jump out to a 21-3 lead by the half ...

and eke out a 34 - 16 win.

I'm afraid we're doomed to lots of those.
Lots of action for the D.

Yay, war-room team! Yay, college scouting department!

How many times have we seen the exact same scenario you describe?...17 point lead in the third quarter...offense comes out...throws three incomplete ticky tack passes resulting in 20 seconds burned off the clock leaving the door open for the opposing team to get back in the game.I don't know about you but that gives me one hell of a blood pressure spike...

Meanwhile a single running play burns at least 45 seconds. We need a clock grinding run game. It benefits both sides of the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST