PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if... moving up for Carpenter

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeSixPat said:
A few scouts I heard pre-draft stated that Bobby Carpenter was always the last of the big three defenders from Ohio State to be "in" on most plays
That's the thing, I just think Maroney is a better RB than Carpenter is a LB. I didn't watch him that much but the reading I did also questioned his instincts and overall knowledge of the defense. For a guy that would play ILB for us, I was unsure whether he had "it". Physically he did but it seemed like mentally something was missing. I would have been OK with him but could never get my heart set on him.

Last edited by a moderator:
rookBoston said:
Not that Moroney wont help Brady, but the reason Brady got killed last year wasn't because of the running game. It was because Light and Ashworth went to IR, we were playing two rookies on the left side of the line, and the RT position was anchored by Gorin.
OL returnees/upgrades should help but when we're starting Heath Evans at RB there's a problem and defenses will throw caution at the wind. A hurt Dillon was better than Evans but still not a threat. Get a healthy Dillon or the more explosive Maroney in there and those Safety blitzes off the edge won't be so appealing to defenses.

Every year the fans want the linebacker. I probably would have traded up in both rounds and gotten Greenway and Jackson and no Thomas.

would've, could've, should've....Get over it! The 'boys took Carpenter and the Pats took Maroney. The Pats didn't want to trade up for a linebacker and who knows if they would've taken a LB had Carpenter still been there. I'm very happy with Maroney. I said it before and I will say it again, our offense needs to upgrade unless you want to keep seeing Brady hit the turf over and over again. Nobody respected the running game, our O-Line was in shambles and Jackson will be a better reciever than Givens. I love what Corey Dillon did for us, but it's time for a upgrade and replacement. I predict as much as Dillon is working hard, it won't be enough. He has lost a lot of speed, and Maroney, when given the chance, will get more out of his carries. With that said, look for Maroney to take over by midseason. :eek:

I think Carpenter iss far closer to Sean Urlacher than he is to Jeremy Mincey... Barring injury he'll have a good career...

AzPatsFan said:
I think Carpenter iss far closer to Sean Urlacher than he is to Jeremy Mincey... Barring injury he'll have a good career...

Is he Brian's younger brother? I don't think that's a good thing for Carpenter.

Carpenter is a very good college linebacker.As a pro, he's too short armed and not quick neough to be drafted where he was and , given the injury history of his father, could well turn out to be brittle.

You watched a lot of Ohio Stae games...great...I watched a lot of BC games...that doesn't mean I'm in massive man love adoration over Kiwanuka...future drafts will provide ample opportunity to draft LB's of far greater ability than Bobby Carpenter

THEARCHIVES said:
With that said, look for Maroney to take over by midseason. :eek:
Even without a tight number? Impossible. Tightness is all that matters.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Well you did forget to mention the other "intangibles" that THEARCHIVES looks for in a player.

And, it's a very good thing that those weren't mentioned again.

Last edited:
My bet is Hawk will be very good and Carpenter will be a bust.

As for "he could have stepped right in", I think that's wrong. A 10 year veteran who played in Pittsburgh found he couldn't "step right in". So a 21 year old from OSU who is not known as a mental heavyweight can? I doubt it.

One scouting report called him "prissy" and the antithesis of his lunch-pail father.

T-ShirtDynasty said:

Your right! You make a great point. If he doesn't change his number to 22, 26, 31, 32, or 34, his career is doomed. In order to be successful in this league you must be pitch black and wear a tight number. Maroney and Jackson are pushing their luck. They can't let that tightness go to waste....:eek:

Last edited:
THEARCHIVES said:
Your right! You make a great point. If he doesn't change his number to 22, 26, 31, 32, or 34, his career is doomed. In order to be successful in this league you must be pitch black and wear a tight number. Maroney and Jackson are pushing their luck. They can't let that tightness go to waste....:eek:

What exactly do you mean when you say 'pitch black"? I think I understand the "tight number' but I can't quite grasp the "pitch black" meaning.

Please explain.

I was firmly in the LB camp like most folks, so I won't pretend that I was thrilled with a 1st-round running back. But I was never as high on Carpenter as you were, Rook, nor was I nearly as low on Jackson. So to answer your question...

Carpenter + Jennings
vs.
Maroney + Jackson

...I take option 2, and not because I'm on any bandwagon. I'd take Carpenter over Maroney, but Jackson vs. Jennings swings the balance.

An extra consideration: I was hoping for an LB in round 1, and...gulp...Maurice Drew in 2 or 3. Knowing what we know now of Drew, Maroney in the 1st looks a lot better.

PATSNUTme said:
What exactly do you mean when you say 'pitch black"? I think I understand the "tight number' but I can't quite grasp the "pitch black" meaning.

Please explain.

Of course fellow Pats fan. What I mean by "pitch black" is they have really dark skin. Look at Chad Jackson for example, he is a really dark man and to me that looks tight. It's sort of a joke to me and my friends, yet it's not. We like tight looking players on our team, but they have to have talent as well.:eek:

Now I have a question for you. What does PatsNUTme mean? That kinda sounds gross, don't you think?

Last edited:
rookBoston said:
No, I sure Carpenter would have contributed very quickly on D. That's what makes it such a tragedy: it will take years to find another LB so "ready" to play LB for BB.

A "tragedy"?? Sir, I do think you doth protest too much!
Perhaps you were thinking and praying for weeks on end for linebacker but it is WELL documented that BB rarely takes that position high. He prefers to trains rookies slowly into the position. Because the Pats system uses linebackers in such a complex and sophisticated way it is virtually impossible for a rookie LB to see much field time.

A rookie RB on the other hand can contribute immediately, possibly the easiest position to impact the game coming in first year. Maroney has the homerun potential ability and backs up Dillon, who still is a question mark as far as returning to full capabilities.

And the Pats yawning gulf of a need at WR is well documented with recent departures of:
David Givens
David Terrell
Tim Dwight
PK Sam
Andre Davis
combined with the previous departure of Patten
left the Pats depth chart at:
Branch
Brown
BJ
Bam Childress

And I don't know about you but I think Brown's days of being a #2 are long behind him, and I would be pretty scared to have BJ in there as the #2 considering his questionable route running, hands, and work ethic.

And you consider our draft a "tragedy" because we didn't happen to get the LB you coveted? A linebacker that MIGHT have seen 15-30 defensive snaps this year as an understudy? There's other positions that this football team needed to fill you know...

Last edited:
THEARCHIVES said:
Of course fellow Pats fan. What I mean by "pitch black" is they have really dark skin. Look at Chad Jackson for example, he is a really dark man and to me that looks tight. It's sort of a joke to me and my friends, yet it's not. We like tight looking players on our team, but they have to have talent as well.:eek:

Now I have a question for you. What does PatsNUTme mean? That kinda sounds gross, don't you think?

Well, it means I'm a Patriots fan with nuts and I only think of me.

So, would Brady be "tight"? It doesn't sound as if he's "pitch black".

Oh yes, one more question. When you and your "friends' get together to watch a game, do you wear both the sheet and the hood?

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Well, it means I'm a Patriots fan with nuts and I only think of me.

So, would Brady be "tight"? It doesn't sound as if he's "pitch black".

Oh yes, one more question. When you and your "friends' get together to watch a game, do you wear both the sheet and the hood?

Brady is fine. The only positions I like to be pitch black are RB, WR, TE, and DB. How stupid does your question sound? If I wore a sheet and hood wouldn't that mean that I DISLIKE them? Let's see I like black people yet I wear a sheet and a hood. Wouldn't that be an oxymoron? Get your act together bro! Your name sounds gay as if you want the Pats to "nut" on you....

Last edited:
THEARCHIVES said:
Brady is fine. The only positions I like to be pitch black are RB, WR, TE, and DB. How stupid does your question sound? If I wore a sheet and hood wouldn't that mean that I DISLIKE them? Let's see I like black people yet I wear a sheet and a hood. Wouldn't that be an oxymoron? Get your act together bro! Your name sounds gay as if you want the Pats to "nut" on you....

But that would make me "tight". I guess I've wasted enough of my time with you.

Seeing I'll have you on my ignore list I won't know if you got the "Ian click" or not. But, you have earned it.

EDIT: And just like that this idiot has disappeared.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
But that would make me "tight". I guess I've wasted enough of my time with you.

Seeing I'll have you on my ignore list I won't know if you got the "Ian click" or not. But, you have earned it.

EDIT: And just like that this idiot has disappeared.

Any day you want to be challanged in football IQ you just let me know. I would kick your butt in fantasy football. End of story. And for you to put me on ignore list just says your a scared little immature girl. Get a grip on your life!

Last edited:
As far as the draft going offense skill players, IMO it was a stroke of genius on BB's part. Everyone raved about the LB corps and many who were drafted will probably prove to be a reach. BB was able to retool the O skill positions through the first day, getting value with each pick.

I posited the notion that we have a number of b/u LB's with 2-3 yrs in the system who we don't really know in terms of whether they can be starters or not. These guys need consistent real-game experience in order to be winnowed through. Filling in to give the starters a blow just doesn't give a fair appraisal. Even Ted Johnson, coming back from his several injuries, would take a couple of games to get his timing back, and he knew this complex system as well as anyone.
It seems premature to be drafting a newbie to play in front of our current back-ups until we know which of them are keepers. So, we might have one weak spot in our front 7. Big whup. These guys need to be sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back