PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Manning & Wayne sign with MIAMI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took him a while to get it operating at high efficiency in Indy. It will take longer in a new setting because there will be guys who have to unlearn everything they've known and start over from scratch. And they will have to be precise above all else. There is the risk that by the time they get it running seamlessly, if ever, it will be time for him to go. And where will that leave them... That will be Philbin's concern in Miami. He's got 3 years to prove he's the rght man for the job, and if Manning comes in Philbin won't be in control of his offense and maybe even his roster... But he can't really buck Ross because what he wants is fannies in seats, Peyton's specialty.

Wisenhut may have a problem with that, although he's accommodated a veteran in the past and it worked out for both of them. Shanny and his kid will have that problem, but they have no at present and the alternative is trading up for RGIII or settling for an also ran later in the first. Shanny may already be on a short leash. And he did win with Elway in his dotage (and not since). And he knows that buys you years of leeway. Pete really has nothing in Seattle and he's inching into must win territory. He's a defensive HC so he might be fine with Manning running the offense. And they have the cap and cash to add to it.

Anywhere he lands it's going to be that team accommodating him. It's also liable to be a process especially out of the gate. He hasn't played in a year, whole new environment and cast of characters to build rapore with, **** happens, so who knows. I'm not really concerned. I like our chances whomever is playing in the division...

Peyton is a HOF-QB one of the very few QB's i have better that Brady: Brees being the other one...yes i said it. I don't think he would have a problem adapting. Also it's easier to adapt when your skill position players are ELITES. We all saw Chad Henne stats against our Defense in week 1 well over 400yds...anybody here think Peyton would have a hard time duplicating that.

Last edited:
What if Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne sign with Miami. How concerned should we be?

After all, that could be a pretty potent offense with Manning, Bush, Marshall & Wayne. Not too mention a poor man's Welker in Devone Bess.

Sounds like a couple fun games to watch!

We need defense - I believe Bill will address that - Think of it like 2006, when it was obvious that Brady needed weapons. Bill addressed that and we got the 2007 season.

Bill knows what it takes to win; he'll make sure they make the correct moves.

I don't fear Peyton, in fact, I like the guy and enjoy watching him play. That would give Tom 2 chances a year - if not more - to seperate himself in the Manning vs. Brady debate.

I wouldn't want this current Defense to face any Offense with Peyton Manning behind Center. His little Brother who is not even in his league carved up our Defense Three times already. If Peyton goes to Miami it wouldn't be good for the Patriots...they have a Team that needs veteran stability at QB. Peyton and Miami would be a Pefect match...the Patriots current Seconary should be.:scared:

Some points:

- The defense the Pats had last year is not the defense they will have next year. I could argue that the Pats totally stuffed Manning from 2001-2005 so bring it on. There is much less relevance with that statement. The Pats' defense next year will not be the same defense they had in 2011 for better or worse.

- Eli didn't carve up the Pats' defense in the first Super Bowl match up. In fact, he was lucky he wasn't the goat of that game because he threw two dropped picks on the last drive. Besides, what does the 2007 defense have to do with today?

- Right now you can make a strong argument that Eli is better than Peyton. We don't know if Peyton will be close to what he was or even an above average QB. Eli has become an elite QB.

Peyton is a HOF-QB one of the very few QB's i have better that Brady: Brees being the other one...yes i said it. I don't think he would have a problem adapting. Also it's easier to adapt when your skill position players are ELITES. We all saw Chad Henne stats against out Defense in week 1 well over 400yds...anybody here think Peyton would have a hard time duplicating that.

Peyton is not better than Brady right now. In fact, he might not be better than Henne at this point.

And again, the defense that faced Henne in week 1 last year will not be the same defense that will face the Dolphins next year.

if manning comes back, is that further proof espn is wrong and not everyone has bounties. would manning comeback after 4 neck surgeries if everyone has bounties ? or would he just go to a division where he knows there are no bounties because when he comes back defenses will definitely be looking for him.

Peyton is a HOF-QB one of the very few QB's i have better that Brady: Brees being the other one...yes i said it. I don't think he would have a problem adapting. Also it's easier to adapt when your skill position players are ELITES. We all saw Chad Henne stats against out Defense in week 1 well over 400yds...anybody here think Peyton would have a hard time duplicating that.

Just because you said it doesn't make it true. In fact...:bricks:

Manning is anal as well as a demanding perfectionist. He's had issues adjusting to changes in the Colts personnel in a well established offense. Change and adaptation were never his strong suits, those were Brady's. Miami is a different team heading into 2012. As are we, although we have a well established offense with a coordinator who knows how to run it and the same HC and defacto DC who got the 2011 defense to a superbowl and in possession of the means to improve on that. Miami isn't even sure what offense or defense they're going to be running yet with an all new coaching staff and a rookie HC who was the OC in Greenbay and likely had plans to install that offense and maybe even backup QB in Miami. Miami's talented but troubled #1 WR is never a given due to his diagnosed personality disorder, so it remains to be seen how he will adapt to a sea of change swirling around him - or how his off the field off season life has been going...

I'd be more worried if the dolphins signed Matt Flynn and Vincent Jackson

Well we all have to admit the timiing of all this is good even if he has to transition to a new Offense. Manning will have the rest of the Offseason plus all of TC to get it...i think he's intelligent enough. Manning is great for the game and a year come could even lenghten an already stellar career.

I know who does McCourty cover???...both Marshall and Jackson roasted him in back to back weeks. I think that was the begining of the End of McCourty at CB.:snob:

Last edited:
I know who does McCourty cover???...both Marshall and Jackson roasted him in back to back weeks. I think that was the begining of the End of McCourty at CB.:snob:

marshall, jackson and bess with flynn throwing to them.......and bush coming out of the backfield. very tough on the pats defense

I'm not worried about any potential Manning landing sites until I actually see him upgrade their QB position. I think he's done. Brady tore his ACL at a much younger age and took a season to really get back to an elite level, let alone his level. Manning has a scarier injury, is older, and going to a new team.

What if Peyton Manning and Reggie Wayne sign with Miami. How concerned should we be?

After all, that could be a pretty potent offense with Manning, Bush, Marshall & Wayne. Not too mention a poor man's Welker in Devone Bess.

That would give some competition in the AFCE. The Jets are heded to theri normal position of fourth place; the Bills are moving up to near .500. If the Dolphins signed Manning and Wayne they could be a winning club.

It would mark a return to the Pats, Dolphins rivalries not seen since Nick Saban decided he didn't have enough of the big guns needed to really compete. Nick then strategicaly exited to Alabama, and the Dolphins began a rebuilding.

The Dolphins aren't likely to get Jackson though. Flynn, yes if they don't get Manning. Jackson is going to have a lot of teams vying for him.

What if Manning & Wayne sign with MIAMI?

...then we'll play them a minimum of 2x per season, just like we used to do.

Thread answered and closed!

Assuming healthy players:

Manning

Bush

Marshall
Wayne
Bess
Fasano (could probably also bring in Tamme for reasonable money)

Strong at LT and C

Good defense

Favorable schedule, including a game against the Colts

Project them as a likely wild card team and a legitimate threat in the playoffs

And make Brandon Marshall unhappy being the #2 WR? I don't think you want to set that guy off again.

let's see henne throws for over 400 yds against the Pats last year. you add peyton and wayne, along with marshall, pats better score 40+ again to beat the fins. no need to make the division any harder.

The possibility of Manning bringing Wayne along wherever he goes would certainly speed up the process of the new team learning "Peyton's offense."

Speaking of which, I'm curious what some of the more astute watchers here think of that process - -how difficult will it be for Manning's new teammates (and coaches!) to adopt "his" offense?

I'm not terribly astute, but I will say any normal coach/OC will have to take a handful of valium every game. What's the point of having a playbook? What you're doing is giving him the raw material to build the play on the fly.

It would be interesting to watch a Rex Ryan trying to figure out how to shut the eff up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News