PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What if Edelman doesn't play?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone's going to play. The question is how well and how long. At this point the team has nothing to lose so they will go all out to the best of their ability, but therein lies the rub.
Some may be to injured to play.
Lets not forget Dobson came back from a broken foot for a playoff game and was out for the season after one pass to him.

Lets not forget Dobson came back from a broken foot for a playoff game and was out for the season after one pass to him.

No disrespect AJ and I see your point but a made of glass player is a poor comparison...when has Dobson hasn't been injured??

Agreed, but IMO they'll at least try everyone, particularly Edelman who has already been at practice for a few weeks, with the idea that they'll have the off season to rest and repair.

Take it FWIW but a buddy of mine who is more right than wrong said that JE lobbied the coaching staff HARD to play in MIA and he packed his stuff BEFORE his workout and put it in the area for the ops people to take to the airport. BB went to JE and was basically WTF and JE told him he- BB is screwing up by not playing him in MIA as he needs to get his timing back and BB got a little agitated with him and walked away.

Its a good story. I can see Jules doing that.
I hope JE is not in the dog house now ;)

Unless we rematch vs. Houston next week we would be cooked.

But this is for all the marbles here. I can't see him not playing.

No disrespect AJ and I see your point but a made of glass player is a poor comparison...when has Dobson hasn't been injured??
Come on that's ridiculous. Made of glass implies doesn't play through minor injuries, pulls muscles all the time, etc. No player has a different tolerance for breaking a bone.

I hope JE is not in the dog house now ;)
I don't think so. If he went to the media he would be. BB loves Edelman. All hes trying to do is weasel his way to get in the game.

Agreed, but IMO they'll at least try everyone, particularly Edelman who has already been at practice for a few weeks, with the idea that they'll have the off season to rest and repair.
Oh I agree, but I'm not certain all of these players are going to be healthy enough to be cleared to play.
It just seems this board has been overtaken by the idea that a magic potion was applied and every player who is injured will be perfectly healthy exactly just in time for the playoffs. That would be a shocker to me, given NFL injuries and what history shows.
Frankly, if given a choice my first priority would be the OL.

What makes you feel confident in the division round? We finished 2-4 and will be playing a team that is better than any of those 6 teams.

Because we're the Patriots.
But honestly, despite the last 4-6 weeks, I still think we're better than Cincy, Houston, or KC. Plus, we get a couple guys back and that does wonders for morale and momentum I think. This first round bye is a huge help overall especially for preparation.

Because we're the Patriots.
But honestly, despite the last 4-6 weeks, I still think we're better than Cincy, Houston, or KC. Plus, we get a couple guys back and that does wonders for morale and momentum I think. This first round bye is a huge help overall especially for preparation.
I'm afraid we are the team we have been the last 6 weeks not the one we were the first 10. I'm more afraid that we are the offense we have seen the last 2-3 weeks that doesn't even try to compete.
If this is the case, we aren't better than any of those teams.
However, if there is anyone that can get the pathetic team we have seen lately to look like the Championship caliber one we saw before that, I'd bet on BB.

After the injury and I mean the sight of it never thought we would be using the name Vollmer and healthy in the same sentence. That said I wouldn't mind me him being shell of his former self his presence alone would suffice. As long as he help keep Cannon and Flemming:rolleyes: on the Bench. Back-up Tackle need a serious Upgrade via the Draft.

I would be in favor of taking a tackle but only in a later round, like 5th round and after. Not before. With Solder, Vollmer, Waddle, Cannon & Fleming, you are looking for an upgrade. A guy like Brandon Shell and Le'Raven Clark who should be available in the 5th or after.

The team has much more pressing needs at LB & RB (also need WRs).

I am not a Freeney fan, and I wonder how much Mayo has left. For that matter, Ninkovich too, though I suppose Trey Flowers is being groomed for that position.

Needs:

1. RB
2. LBs (multiple)
3. WR
4. OT
5. Backup or second TE

I would be in favor of taking a tackle but only in a later round, like 5th round and after. Not before. With Solder, Vollmer, Waddle, Cannon & Fleming, you are looking for an upgrade. A guy like Brandon Shell and Le'Raven Clark who should be available in the 5th or after.

The team has much more pressing needs at LB & RB (also need WRs).

I am not a Freeney fan, and I wonder how much Mayo has left. For that matter, Ninkovich too, though I suppose Trey Flowers is being groomed for that position.

Needs:

1. RB
2. LBs (multiple)
3. WR
4. OT
5. Backup or second TE
I don't see LB as a big need. We play nickel over 75% of the time, so what we need is a part time player who can jump in when there is an injury, and some depth.

we can beat the chiefs/texans without edelman. not sure about the bungles/donkeys.

Who isn't on target to be game ready for the next game?

We could maybe win in the divisional round without him. Probably not, but maybe. Anything after that is pretty much not going to happen though, unless Edelman's back.

I'm still baffled why people are acting like its a certainty he will play, and some even acting like it doesn't matter that he missed 2 months.
Mentally a big blow to fans maybe but I'm sure the players are preparing to go forward without him while hoping he can be ready.
If we can't win without him, I doubt we can win with him in the shape he will be in.

A good guess why people are making the assumption is based on the following:

It's been nine weeks since JE sustained a six to eight week injury.
JE has practiced for several weeks.
Based on all available video.....medical personnel have universally stated this injury is not an anomaly.
Lack of relapse stories......JE wanting to play stories.
Universal decision to maximize health on key players.....BB showing AGAIN he's smarter that patsfans.com in prioritizing.

Having this be a mentally big blow to fans is your fault.

What's baffling is a smart guy like you is so paranoid and dour. What are you expecting? JE to split out wide in crutches?

Getting Edelman back will help that a lot. The more "quick release" players we have the less time the OL needs to protect and the less likely a team is to send extra rushers with real WR out there. You're right that the OL needs to be better but Edelman will help a lot too.

Yeah, the thing is that the Pats will be able to spread out the defenses with Gronk no longer blocking all the time, White used more and split out, and Edelman and Amendola on the field. Will definitely change how teams will play the Pats and it won't be pinning their ears back and rushing Brady on every down like they have been the last month or so.

So I see you have reason to think its possible. I have yet to see why it is likely. He couldn't play 4 days ago. Until there is some significant change I am skeptical he can in 10 more.

Skeptical? He's doing everything in practice that you'd expect him to do. It will be 9 weeks since injury and Dez played at 6. He's ready.

Skeptical? He's doing everything in practice that you'd expect him to do. It will be 9 weeks since injury and Dez played at 6. He's ready.
That's is the hope. Can you share with me how you know he is ready? Why hasn't he played if he is?
I get that the timeline and vague 'evidence' gives hope, but to say he is definitely ready is just not something we can reasonably know.

I think it's very likely that Edelman plays. One thing that gets overshadowed by the potential players returning is what the bye week will do for the players that have been active lately. The Pats haven't had a bye week since week 4. I think a week off will help rejuvinate the entire team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST