PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened? We passed on Dez Bryant TWICE?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
HUGE MISTAKE

seems that Bill is floundering without all the great assistants he lost over the years.

this is a terrible pick

colts get hughes, we pass on Kindle.

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who picked Kindle, Amazon.com?

Save your emotions for the games. Think it through.

To be fair, the Vikings traded up for Harvin last year specifically to get ahead of the Patriots, who by all accounts were going to take him. To say that Belichick simply won't take a WR in the first round is misguided, IMO. QUOTE]

Whose accounts?

He's dead wrong about the Vikings "trading up" for Harvin, but he is correct that the Patriots wanted Harvin last year. That was very well known and reported widely.

Re: What happened? We passed on Dez Brant TWICE?!?!?

"The draft is a lot less stressfull if you boycott all pre-draft coverage. That way you aren't invested in any of these kids just because Mel Kiper gets a woodie over their short-shuttle times or whatever." - hwc

Does anybody know how to set up one of those instant poll things? The question is "Can Mel Kiper get a woodie?"

Mel Kiper looks like he takes way too much ADHD medication. Kiper's head is actually getting narrower by the hour on ESPN. By May he'll be able to rent himself out as a roto-tiller.

My favorite part of the coverage is the way "Chuckie" shakes his head and scrunches his eyebrows and nose after everything Kiper says as if he can't wait to get back to coaching and away from lunatics like Mel Kiper.

Btw, if I ever had any doubts about the Patriots passing on Bryant, they were erased when I saw Bryant's highlight package after the Cowboys picked him. It looked almost identical to the highlight package (all the way down to the OSU unis!) aired during the draft about 20 years ago immediately after the Pats selected Hart Lee Dykes in the first round. Glad we passed.

"The draft is a lot less stressfull if you boycott all pre-draft coverage. That way you aren't invested in any of these kids just because Mel Kiper gets a woodie over their short-shuttle times or whatever." - hwc

Does anybody know how to set up one of those instant poll things? The question is "Can Mel Kiper get a woodie?"

Mel Kiper looks like he takes way too much ADHD medication. Kiper's head is actually getting narrower by the hour on ESPN. By May he'll be able to rent himself out as a roto-tiller.

My favorite part of the coverage is the way "Chuckie" shakes his head and scrunches his eyebrows and nose after everything Kiper says as if he can't wait to get back to coaching and away from lunatics like Mel Kiper.

Ha Ha

Funny stuff. Im with you on the pre draft drama.

Bryant makes Doug Gabriel look like a genious. There's little chance Bryant would have been able to come in and pick up this offense.

Re: Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his mo

Coming from the guy who used to refer to Seymour as Big Poo$ey, you'll have to forgive me if I don't give two craps what you think.

Good thread, though. Thanks for making it.

No problem, Jack. I like yuor posts, too, and I acknowledge all the secret love you have for me...let's hook up later, sugar!

I still hate Seymour, by the way!

All about HIM and never about team...he should have taken lessons in how to handle himself from Vince Wilfork!

Cause Wheatley and Wilhite should be working at Burger King.

Ok, if that's true, then you just acknowledged that Belichick sucks at picking cornerbacks, so why all the confidence in him now?

What about Darius Butler? Should he be working at Subway?

Bryant makes Doug Gabriel look like a genious. There's little chance Bryant would have been able to come in and pick up this offense.

Just what Brady needed - a WR who doesn't understand the offense so that he isn't where he supposed to be when he supposed to be there.

Wish everyone would just stop crying over their lost binkies - guys they probably haven't seen play, certainly who they never met, and who they have no idea whether what they bring to the table fits with what the Patriots want and need.

BTW I certainly hope that those of you crying over the selection of a DB in the 1st round are not the same people who were crying about not signing a free agent DB or trading for someone like Cromartie when the Jets and Fins signed WR's. I guess that would be a little hypocritical. :)

Last edited:
Pioli could use some weapons and he passed too. He took a safety at #5...

This kid couldn't learn the playbook here if his life depended on it. He'll have a better shot in Dallas where they chuck and duck. If he doesn't save the offense in a year or two, Jerry will just dump him and find the next overhyped talent. TO...Williams...Pacman...Jerry is the one with the ego, he thinks he can make them all work.

McCourtny was the 3rd best corner in a draft where 5 were selected in the first round and the best returner available who could also function during the other 3 downs...

I have to chuckle at the notion that Bill is the arrogant one who thinks he's a genius. Posters like you need to look in the mirror if you want to recognize arrogance when you see it. You don't have a friggin' clue about any of these players beyond what you read in some draft writeup or hear some equally ignorant mediot babbling about. The guys who know football players and scheme and how to evaluate one for the other graded this guy out as a first round talent. Bryant and Kindle also grade out there until you factor in their health or maturity issues. Those drop them significantly into the laps of compulsive gamblers like Jerry Jones. An owner who serves as his own GM and therefore hasn't won a damn thing in a lot longer than Crazy Al...

:yeahthat:

I wanted them to take Bryant too, but they had him in for the better part of a day, and as a result chose not to take him. They must feel very sure of that decision, for reasons they will never tell us.

Hey, I hope Butler improves on his rookie year, just like all Pats fans. However, I wasn't exactly loving our CB corp as it stood. Springs didn't exactly play well last year. Was I the only one nervous to see Brandon Marshall and Santonio Holmes enter the AFC East fray?

I could blast them alot more had they drafted other positions besides CB, to be honest. Let's face it, Wheatly and Willhite aren't making alot of us do cartwheels.

:agree:

I must be totally alone in this, but I was hoping that we WOULDN'T take him. Like all of you amateur draft guru's :rolleyes: , I don't really know anything about Bryant other then what I've read..... and sorry.... This guy has meathead written all over him. That's just my impression. Seen too many "next Moss" guy's that have tanked over the years and CJ is still too fresh in my mind to feel comfortable with another "can't miss" WR in the first round.

I could be wrong, but I'm real comfortable with this pass. Time will tell.

I was surprised by the McCourty pick, but it's growing on me. Not sure why we passed on Wilson if we were going CB, but perhaps its a system thing or McCourty Return skills. But not disappointed at all with a top-end CB pick at this spot. You can NEVER have too many backs. Besides, we ain't zackly loaded with high-end talent back there. Bodden and Bulter (who will be solid, but isn't yet) are good, but Springs is toast and Wilhite and Wheatley don't inspire confidence.

McCourty looks solid with sound skills coming in. Plus he's a ST guy and we know how much BB loves them. He's a solid pick...... Throw in the 3rd and 4th bonus pick in this very deep draft. Depending on who we pick up, of course, but this actually looks like a great move.

Can't understand all the angst. :confused:

Last edited:
I was fine with Bryant if we got him - but always recognized that he was a project. Still with Moss and Holt as teachers and BB as coach Dez couldn't have asked for better, but I guess he showed something that marked him down when he visited Foxborough. What it was we will never know so move on.

I didnt mind moving down to get the extra third either - I was just surprised that we missed on higher rated players like Hughes and Kindle (although his injury problems probably did force him back in the 2nd or 3rd round - where we can still get him). In fact I was disappointed we didnt move down again because it is more than probable that we could have picked up McCourty in the 2nd round (though maybe not as low as #44).

Golden Tate or Aurelius Benn would be nice tonight - and I am sure BB has already circled his DE/LB choices - we just dont know who or when.

Reserving judgment until later - but initially disappointed.

i am reading a number of comments about McCourty being a "special teamer", and lots of whining.

BB sees him having use on all 4 downs. Hell, the kid might even be a tweener and have some safety value as well. God knows our downfield tackling has been piss-poor lately and could use the upgrade we got here.

Whiny little *****es that have infested this website have made me sick. Stop your pissing and moaning and get back to hemming your skirts.

This is truth. This site is unbearable this morning.

So this is the impression you get when you "hang" with Randy on the weekend. Or is it the time that you spend in the locker room that shows you how he can relate.

Come on really, you have absolutely no clue what so ever whether or not Moss would be a good mentor.

And you know that Moss wouldnt be a good mentor? Look, Moss has been criticized throughout his entire career, much like Bryant has been throughout the past couple of months. He could teach him how to deal with it. They both are big play guys, why wouldnt Moss be a good mentor for Bryant?

Big strong WRs who can run precise routes are never coming through the doors of the NFL. Calvin Johnson can't do it, Andre Johnson can't, neither can Demaryious Thomas. It's not happening folks. These are college kids that dominate smaller opponents in college, and they come into the NFL raw.

So, hold it against Bryant that he can't learn a playbook, I have no problem with that. But do not bash the kid for imprecise routes, etc. Because an all-world WR with perfect skills is not coming into the league from college.

Supposedly, the Patriots have Vincent Jackson ranked as the #1 WR in the league. The guy was as raw as they come when he entered, and some labeled him a bust.

At some point, I'd like to see a true #1 receiver being developed. There is only one guy left with a body and athleticism like that, Arrelious Benn, but he has bust written all over him. We are after #2 WR types today.

why wouldnt Moss be a good mentor for Bryant?

Couldn't be that this is Moss's last year with the Pats and he going to be coasting? Naaawww, he's never done that... :bricks:

What makes you think he is about to turn into a "Big Brother" for Bryant? I don't see it.

Big strong WRs who can run precise routes are never coming through the doors of the NFL. Calvin Johnson can't do it, Andre Johnson can't, neither can Demaryious Thomas. It's not happening folks. These are college kids that dominate smaller opponents in college, and they come into the NFL raw.

So, hold it against Bryant that he can't learn a playbook, I have no problem with that. But do not bash the kid for imprecise routes, etc. Because an all-world WR with perfect skills is not coming into the league from college.

Supposedly, the Patriots have Vincent Jackson ranked as the #1 WR in the league. The guy was as raw as they come when he entered, and some labeled him a bust.

At some point, I'd like to see a true #1 receiver being developed. There is only one guy left with a body and athleticism like that, Arrelious Benn, but he has bust written all over him. We are after #2 WR types today.

Frankly, I think next year is the draft for scooping up a #1 type receiver, not this year.

As pissed as we all are passing on Bryant twice, you gotta take into consideration that Bryant is about as bright as a 14 year old. If the veteren Galloway couldn't do things right then Bryant can't either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back