PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened? We passed on Dez Bryant TWICE?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We passed on Dez Bryant? Twice?! No frikkin way!!! I am shocked and dismayed.

Re: We passed on Dez Bryant TWICE?

I just hope Tommie Brady doesn't get frustrated throwing to David Patten, T. Holt, and Edelman. He better get on the same page as the TEs. That's his biggest weakness as a QB, which the Colts QB and the Saints QB are better at.

I realize that BB doesn't want to have to babysit spoiled brats. Life's too short for that business. But sometimes you gotta do what goes against one's inclination. Dez is worth it, baby.

Even Dr. Z at SI, who likely knows a thing or two more than the average poster here, really like him for us at our original spot.

Tom's political career will start looking pretty good sooner than later with the WRs we've got. How the mighty have fallen! We had the best pair perhaps in the history of the game. But when the age kicks in and a step or two is lost, and a knee is blown out, things change in a hurry/.

If Dez pulls in more TDs than Welker, Moss, and Edelman, we're in big trouble. And Tom's poo-oed.

Dr. Z is incapacitated. I believe you are referring to Peter King who did have BB picking Bryant with the 22nd pick. I agree there are times you have to dare. Bryant on talent alone is beguiling -- but he would require a babysitter. At this time and on this team, BB was not prepared to make that investment.

Bryant will probably become a star in Dallas. That does not mean he would have flourished in NE.

Still NE would probably never had a chance to draft him had it not been for Bryant's baggage. And NE does need playmakers at WR for the post-Moss era. When will BB make that a priority?

Re: We passed on Dez Bryant TWICE?

If Dez pulls in more TDs than Welker, Moss, and Edelman, we're in big trouble. And Tom's poo-oed.

Have you been drinking that contaminated water?

The only way this happens is if BB loses his mind between now and september & installs the single wing as our new offensive scheme. :D

You are way over rating Dez as a prospect, he is a good prospect but didn't have the insane speed of Moss or the route running & most importantly the dedication of a Jerry Rice.

He could be the ROY or could just as easily be another 1st round WR who busts.

WR might be a need next year, if Moss leaves, Holt retires & neither Price or Tate show anything next year we will have a need for reciever in a stacked WR draft class with 2 1st & 2 2nds.

I'm with you, brother. I'm willing to bet that Bryant catches more TD passes (or at least equal) next season than BOTH Moss and Welker.

I'm willing to bet a Shipyard Brown Ale on that. I know Pat Chick won't forget--she's got a good memory.

Did you see the ESPN story about Bryant's unbelievable explosiveness and catcthing ability? His receiver's coach Stherman, who has coached TO, Jerry Rice, and Randy Moss, says Bryant "is in a league of his own."

Dallas Cowboys top pick Dez Bryant's skills come with a catch on first day of rookie minicamp - ESPN Dallas
A lot of you sycophantic fans of Bill refuse to realize we just got beaten hard by the Cowboys. Yes, we returned the favor to the Ravens, who were about to have our draft of 1995 when we grabbed The Tremendous Gronk away from them.

The Cowboys had Dez Bryant rated #8 on their draft board. And we give up on him for a much more unassuming, faster, far less productive guy. But that's BB's way. And it usually works. I buy into it too. But this time it will bite him in the arse.

A friendly Shipyard Ale it is! Mmmmm I can taste it now...

And yes it was sweet to beat the Ravens for Gronk. Very sweet; this guy is going to make a huge impact.

Can anyone explain this to me? We need a WR, LB, RB & we take ANOTHER secondary player?

Seriously, why?

I have a simple explanation: BB scouting ability is a wee bit better than the dime-store draft guides and he understands the team needs a wee bit better than Felger et al.

Did Borges roast the Patriots for passing on Dez? It is something that Borges would do.

I predict this will go down as both players becoming All-Pro and no regrets.

Mccourty looks like the next stud CB.

Dez looks like the next stud WR (However, you can tell he'll be the next diva and I don't like his attitude in the Saints game).

McCourty is simply the best CB chosen in this draft todate. Imagine the NE defense without McCourty.

Bryant appears to be a franchise WR. Simply a case of NE and Dallas each getting their first choice with NE getting a bonus pick for trading down.

McCourty is simply the best CB chosen in this draft todate. Imagine the NE defense without McCourty.

Bryant appears to be a franchise WR. Simply a case of NE and Dallas each getting their first choice with NE getting a bonus pick for trading down.

And now for the rest of the story. That pick turned into Aaron Hernandez. So, it's McCourty/Hernandez for Dez. IMO not equal when you look at it that way. I'll take our side of that one.

And now for the rest of the story. That pick turned into Aaron Hernandez. So, it's McCourty/Hernandez for Dez. IMO not equal when you look at it that way. I'll take our side of that one.

It was actually, McCourtey, Hernandez, PRICE for Dez Bryant. Price was the 3rd round pick the Pats got to move from 24 to 27.

I predict this will go down as both players becoming All-Pro and no regrets.

Mccourty looks like the next stud CB.

Dez looks like the next stud WR (However, you can tell he'll be the next diva and I don't like his attitude in the Saints game).

Totally agree, Bryant doesn't have to be a bust for McCourty to be a great pick. Both look like tremendous talents.

But given the choice -- even straight up, without the bonus picks of Price & Hernandez -- I'd still take McCourty. Partially because I'd rather have a stud CB than WR, and partially because the all-character draft has been paying enormous dividends. You might have noticed, a diva WR doesn't fit into the Patriots' plans these days. ;)

It was actually, McCourtey, Hernandez, PRICE for Dez Bryant. Price was the 3rd round pick the Pats got to move from 24 to 27.

Actually, we're both wrong. LOL. I looked up the trade tracker on NFL.COM. We got the 4th from Denver which we used to pick A. Hernandez first, then in the Dallas traded we traded down from 24-27 in Round 1. We did get T.Price with the 3rd rounder but had to give up a 4th. Moved from 119 to 90.

That wasn't even the best trade of the day. We traded the 89th pick to Carolina for their 2nd this year. Will probably be 33. Moved up 56 slots because BB has a little patience.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010

Under SPOTLIGHT on left hand side click on trade tracker.

Last edited:

Actually, we're both wrong. LOL. I looked up the trade tracker on NFL.COM. We got the 4th from Denver which we used to pick A. Hernandez first, then in the Dallas traded we traded down from 24-27 in Round 1. We did get T.Price with the 3rd rounder but had to give up a 4th. Moved from 119 to 90.

Yes, to be exact, the full break down was:

OutGoing

#22 ~ WR Demaryius Thomas
#119 ~ LB AJ Edds

InComing

#27 ~ CB Devin McCourty
#90 ~ WR Taylor Price
#113 ~ WB Aaron Hernandez

NICE. :rocker:

But given the choice -- even straight up, without the bonus picks of Price & Hernandez -- I'd still take McCourty. Partially because I'd rather have a stud CB than WR, and partially because the all-character draft has been paying enormous dividends. You might have noticed, a diva WR doesn't fit into the Patriots' plans these days. ;)

Agree 1000%.

As I posted in my Signature for a month or so, before the truth of it became ridiculously obvious: Trading Randy Moss was vital to the current and future success of this team.

Getting NOTHING for him would've improved our team. :eek:

Actually stealing a 3rd Rounder from those chumps...was sweet, sweet GRAVY.
fire.gif

It was a win for both teams, and worked out well. While Bryant is going to be a very good WR, we desperately need McCourty. We would be starting a duo of Arrington and Butler if he wasn't here...

It was a win for both teams, and worked out well. While Bryant is going to be a very good WR, we desperately need McCourty. We would be starting a duo of Arrington and Butler if he wasn't here...

Our pass defense would be worse than Wake Forests'

I think a lot of the Patriots recent success can be traced to the hated Trade-downs.

Still would much much rather have McCourty than Dez. Dez will screw up soon and McCourty just keeps getting better.

It looks like everyone's binky Brandon Graham is done. I saw the replay and it looked like the turf was responsible. Thank BB for finally getting rid of the green concrete the Patriots used to play on....

Last edited:

your wish seems to have been granted

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST