PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What happened? We passed on Dez Bryant TWICE?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: What happened? We passed on Dez Brant TWICE?!?!?

Hasn't there been a epic swing to the defense wins championships matra around here the past couple of seasons...

Just saying.

Last edited:
Re: Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his mo

They probably passed on him for the same reason 23 other teams did.

While there is always tomorrow, the teams obliviousness to buttressing the wide receiver corps is perplexing. We refuse to trade for Boldin or Marshall or Holmes. And when a top five talent falls into your lap, we look in another direction.

But there is always tomorrow.........

"Top five talent" but a $.02 head

Benn and Tate are also first round caliber receivers who slipped into the 2nd round and likely could still be there at 44, 47, and 53- just because they didn't grab the big name binky doesn't mean they won't go after one in the 2nd round if he is still there.

This whole "Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his moves" thing is really wearing out in New England.

That line, which you repeat ad nauseum, makes a nice soundbite but completely misses the point.

People sometimes don't understand his moves not because "Belichick is clever" but because they don't have access to the same resources Belichick has. He has a whole team of scouts and support people who have been spending half a year watching film and evaluating talent and reporting back to him.

Belichick knows and understands things you do not.

Re: Belichick is more clever than everyone else, that's why no one understands his mo

Save for all the suckups in the front office...God, I miss Pioli...no one challenges Belichick anymore.

"You're a genius, coach!"

"You're gonna have 'em all scatching their heads with that pick, coach! Well done, sir!"

"Wow, coach, you really know how to stack a defensive secondary! Now that we have 27 cornerbacks on the roster, we can switch from the 3-4 t0 the 2-9!"

"Great move drafting our future CB - AGAIN - coach! We can put McCourty's locker right over there on "Future Lockdown Cornerback Row" right next to Terrence Wheatley, Jonathan Wilhite, Kyle Arrington and Darius Butler! You'e a genius, coach!"

Devin McCourty over Dez Bryant?

I am sorry. This cannot be happening...I am having a bad nightmare.

I will wake up tomorrow and Dez Bryant or Sergio Kindle will be a Patriot and Devan McCourty will be right where he should be...waiting to be drafted in the 4th or 5th round!

Pioli could use some weapons and he passed too. He took a safety at #5...

This kid couldn't learn the playbook here if his life depended on it. He'll have a better shot in Dallas where they chuck and duck. If he doesn't save the offense in a year or two, Jerry will just dump him and find the next overhyped talent. TO...Williams...Pacman...Jerry is the one with the ego, he thinks he can make them all work.

McCourtny was the 3rd best corner in a draft where 5 were selected in the first round and the best returner available who could also function during the other 3 downs...

I have to chuckle at the notion that Bill is the arrogant one who thinks he's a genius. Posters like you need to look in the mirror if you want to recognize arrogance when you see it. You don't have a friggin' clue about any of these players beyond what you read in some draft writeup or hear some equally ignorant mediot babbling about. The guys who know football players and scheme and how to evaluate one for the other graded this guy out as a first round talent. Bryant and Kindle also grade out there until you factor in their health or maturity issues. Those drop them significantly into the laps of compulsive gamblers like Jerry Jones. An owner who serves as his own GM and therefore hasn't won a damn thing in a lot longer than Crazy Al...

Let's just hope the Pats snag Golden Tate tomorrow...

Actually Moss can relate to Bryant and would have been the perfect mentor for him IMO. And who are you to say that someone cannot make a change on their own?

So this is the impression you get when you "hang" with Randy on the weekend. Or is it the time that you spend in the locker room that shows you how he can relate.

Come on really, you have absolutely no clue what so ever whether or not Moss would be a good mentor.

We can look at all the fans those #1 wide receivers that Detroit has drafted over the past few years have put in their stands.

I think there's some character issues you can get a bead on from folk you know, like Dunlaps for example.

I think the fact both Denver and ourselves passed tells you he's too hot. That's not what we need imo

It just amazes me that people are surprised the pats didn't take a player, who from almost all reports was a lazy, stupid, prima donna, who thought things like team meetings and GAMES weren't important enough to be on time for. A player who missed most of last year because he broke the rules and then lied about it.

All this and he plays a position that is notorious for having very high draft picks turn into busts because of work ethic and intelligence issues.

Anyone remember the last WR the Pats took in the first round under Belicheck? I can't.

I just am amazed that anyone here actually thought for a second the Patriots were going to take him.

Last edited:
It just amazes me that people are surprised the pats didn't take a player, who from almost all reports was a lazy, stupid, prima donna, who thought things like team meetings and GAMES weren't important enough to be on time for. A player who missed most of last year because he broke the rules and then lied about it.

All this and he plays a position that is notorious for having very high draft picks turn into busts because of work ethic and intelligence issues.

Anyone remember the last WR the Pats took in the first round under Belicheck? I can't.

I just am amazed that anyone here actually thought for a second the Patriots were going to take him.

To be fair, the Vikings traded up for Harvin last year specifically to get ahead of the Patriots, who by all accounts were going to take him. To say that Belichick simply won't take a WR in the first round is misguided, IMO. We said that about RBs until he took Maroney, and we said it about LBs until he took Mayo. Bottom line is that this is Belichick's tenth draft, and half of his picks have been tight ends and defensive linemen. That's not many other picks left to go around.

Am I somewhat disappointed that we didn't take Bryant? You bet I am, but I know that I don't know what goes into the selection. Maybe his head's not screwed on straight. I'm not quite as willing to assume that as you seem to be, but it's certainly a possibility.

I actually prefer knowing that we had the opportunity and passed, though, because it means that the Pats chose not to have him. Whatever they saw from him when they brought him in for an interview, it wasn't enough to pull the trigger.

To be fair, the Vikings traded up for Harvin last year specifically to get ahead of the Patriots, who by all accounts were going to take him. To say that Belichick simply won't take a WR in the first round is misguided, IMO. QUOTE]

Whose accounts?

Well, we'll trade you a CB who's great at special teams for Bryant. How about it?

Okay since the Pats keep pissing everyone off by picking guys who have special teams value, maybe part of what the Pats think is you can get another few yards per series reliably if you load up special teams, and yes, once a year block a kick or something.

It's been a few drafts where one or more guy goes to the Pats who has rave reviews for his special teams play or general adaptability.

Of course, the Pats' approach could just be the wrong approach. We could compare to the Colts, maybe the Chargers, both of whom have excelled in the draft. Otherwise, nobody has the chops to compare, as measured by consistent winning seasons for a decade. Who am I missing? Point is the kool-aid drinking is not baseless. But that ends up meaning you have to buy into the whole emphasis on versatility and special teams thing, at least to an extent.

For a first rounder you sure hope he pulls his weight in coverage though.

Can anyone explain this to me? We need a WR, LB, RB & we take ANOTHER secondary player?

Seriously, why?

I wanted them to take Bryant too, but they had him in for the better part of a day, and as a result chose not to take him. They must feel very sure of that decision, for reasons they will never tell us.

Hey, I hope Butler improves on his rookie year, just like all Pats fans. However, I wasn't exactly loving our CB corp as it stood. Springs didn't exactly play well last year. Was I the only one nervous to see Brandon Marshall and Santonio Holmes enter the AFC East fray?

I could blast them alot more had they drafted other positions besides CB, to be honest. Let's face it, Wheatly and Willhite aren't making alot of us do cartwheels.

i never understand what they think about on draft day..........

Can anyone explain this to me? We need a WR, LB, RB & we take ANOTHER secondary player?

Seriously, why?

You're asking two questions.

Why did we pass on Bryant? Well, just because Jerry Jones thinks he's the next Randy Moss doesn't make that so nor does it mean he would have worked well in the Pats system. There are plenty of reports this morning that suggest he isn't a Pats guy (intelligence, blocking, etc.). So, I don't have an issue there.

But, I'm as mystified as anybody as to why we didn't use the pick to fill one of the "Consensus Gaps" in the Pats Roster. BB clearly feels this guy is special and was ready to take him at 22. So, "In BB I trust," but I'll admit I'm confused about the pick.

i never understand what they think about on draft day..........

The Pats got value in this pick, I think. They traded #22 for a 3, a 4 and a top-5 CB. Not bad. You can't really judge the #22 pick until you see what comes from the 3 and the 4.

Passing on Dez Bryant was probably a system decision early on. He's not a smart guy and has behavior issues going way back. The Pats just don't baby sit guys - probably the least touchy-feely franchise in football. Brady hates guys that can't pick up the routes and blocking responsibilities. I agree with a poster from another thread that he found the right place in Dallas.

The Pats got value in this pick, I think. They traded #22 for a 3, a 4 and a top-5 CB. Not bad. You can't really judge the #22 pick until you see what comes from the 3 and the 4.

Passing on Dez Bryant was probably a system decision early on. He's not a smart guy and has behavior issues going way back. The Pats just don't baby sit guys - probably the least touchy-feely franchise in football. Brady hates guys that can't pick up the routes and blocking responsibilities. I agree with a poster from another thread that he found the right place in Dallas.

Your second point is well-stated and I agree. I disagree a bit on your first point. I think we'll judge #22/27 on his own merits, because God/BB only knows whether he'll even keep those picks or trade them away.

HUGE MISTAKE

seems that Bill is floundering without all the great assistants he lost over the years.

this is a terrible pick

colts get hughes, we pass on Kindle.

FAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be fair, the Vikings traded up for Harvin last year specifically to get ahead of the Patriots, who by all accounts were going to take him.

LOL. Nice recall. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back