PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a pathetic performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're the worst 14-0 team of all time. :mad:

I LOLed.

I thought that the Pats played pretty well today. I wouldn't call their performance "pathetic" at all.

I was at the game today. There was something odd about knowing that thanks to my schedule that the only game I'll get to this year is the one where Brady doesn't throw a touchdown pass.

Either way, it was an entertaining game. Lots of good plays on defense and particularly special teams which should serve them well in the playoffs. Kind of disappointed that Miami won, takes the hilarity out of next week's game, but hell the Bengals will probably lose to them anyway.

I think the passing game would have been better if it actually just kept snowing instead of turning into rain being blown sideways. The weather there today seemed to sum up what this area has been like the past few days. I wish I had been able to make it to last week's game, that was amazing.

Speaking of pathetic, when I heard the score for the Cowboys/Eagles game on the train I thought the game was being played in Philly and the weather iced the Cowboys offense. For that to happen in a dome... yikes.

Last edited:
Let me just make sure I'm on the same page as everyone here. The guys smashing everyone believes Brady had a fine game, or they just don't care. Is that right?

I have stated that Brady had a bad day, which he did, and the passing game was bad (play calling and WR). I don't think anyone here is saying that the offense is terribe or the team is terrible, etc. The running game was good, but the lack of a passing game held the offense down.

Now, the reason I want to talk about Brady having a bad game, is because I want to discuss, WHY he had a bad game. The bad weather is NOT an excuse, brady has played in conditions like this before. I don't think they utilized the passing game as well as they could have. They didn't really use many screen plays and short pass plays. At one point they had 2 consecutive drives where they ran on 1st and 2nd down, then passed on 3rd, but the defense reacted really well to our plays and we couldn't get those thrid downs.

Nit picky, but that is why I am talking about Brady and Offense having a bad day.

Yea, that's part of my point. I mentioned in another thread that the pats tossed a workmanlike performance today. That's another part of what good teams do. They win however they need to. Look at my user name. The pats can and have been outplayed on many an occasion. But they've found a way to win regardless of the occasion far more often than not. I'm saying I think that's the mark of a damn fine team.

It's not as if NE is incapable of opening the door for other teams. No team in todays NFL is quite that good. Everyone should understand that. Again, let me reiterate. The pats are not unbeatable and they can and will give you an opportunity to beat them.

No, what the pats are is so damn good that the only teams that get an opportunity to play along with them are teams who are at the top of their game on that day. Further to my point, even when a team is on top of their game and is effectively beating the pats, the pats are almost never out of it. Because they are THAT good.

If a team is on it's game, NE can and will give an opposing team an op to walk thru the door. Especially if NE is ahead. But that's all the opposing team will get. It's usually one maybe two ops. If the opposing team doesn't cap? Sayonara. Same holds true if NE is coming from behind. All the opposing team needs to do is give them 1-2 opportunities. NE will cap. That's what good teams do. That's who NE is right now.

i have read some of the funniest posts ever here. when black glass said that this thread made nsa sound lucid i nearly lost it. but bolt fan is killing me as well. you sound like a wishful thinking charger girl. your team has ZERO chance of beating the pats. Z-E-R-0 !! you can talk about opening doors and closing doors, none of that matters. your team sucks. that's all there is to it. your team has NO shot of beating the pats and i will put a guarantee right here. NO SHOT !!! your scrubs can go to all the pro bowls and do all their steroid induced commercials all they want. we will kick your ass in the playoffs. this is one of the pleasures of the nfl.

Let me just make sure I'm on the same page as everyone here. The guys smashing everyone believes Brady had a fine game, or they just don't care. Is that right?

I have stated that Brady had a bad day, which he did, and the passing game was bad (play calling and WR). I don't think anyone here is saying that the offense is terribe or the team is terrible, etc. The running game was good, but the lack of a passing game held the offense down.

Now, the reason I want to talk about Brady having a bad game, is because I want to discuss, WHY he had a bad game. The bad weather is NOT an excuse, brady has played in conditions like this before. I don't think they utilized the passing game as well as they could have. They didn't really use many screen plays and short pass plays. At one point they had 2 consecutive drives where they ran on 1st and 2nd down, then passed on 3rd, but the defense reacted really well to our plays and we couldn't get those thrid downs.

Nit picky, but that is why I am talking about Brady and Offense having a bad day.

Go back, read my earlier post (#112), and stop crying about the bloody passing game. It's pathetic to see supposed fans of a 14-0 team spouting such nonsense.

One of the best performances of the year, imo. Far from pathetic. I feel so much better tonight after watching the game about the team's future in the playoffs. The elements took away the passing game. So the Patriots ran the ball very effectively and for the most part stopped the run. The lines both controlled the line of scrimmage effectively. The linebackers stepped up and had a solid game. The secondary had a solid effort too.

I had concerns that this team couldn't handle a home field advantage in January in Foxboro. Cold, wind, ice, snow, frozen field. All of these things are to be expected here next month. These conditions will ground finesse air based attacks completely. They will neutralize small speed and finesse based defenses (just ask the Colts). This is smashmouth in your face time.

Well the Pats showed me today that they were up to that task. The D pitched an almost shut out in a style reminiscent of 03/04. The Jets could move the ball to some degree. But the D stiffened as it was backed up inside its red zone. And the Pats controlled the LOS, the flow of the game and the time on the clock throughout. The outcome was never really in doubt.

For those looking for 4 TD/300yd. passing games, fuggetaboutit in this weather. This is what I was worried about as the season started when the Pats obviously changed their offensive philosophy. Today put my mind at ease.

BTW, if this has already been said, forgive. Its late and I didn't want to read umpteen pages of posts.

Yea, that's part of my point. I mentioned in another thread that the pats tossed a workmanlike performance today. That's another part of what good teams do. They win however they need to. Look at my user name. The pats can and have been outplayed on many an occasion. But they've found a way to win regardless of the occasion far more often than not. I'm saying I think that's the mark of a damn fine team.

It's not as if NE is incapable of opening the door for other teams. No team in todays NFL is quite that good. Everyone should understand that. Again, let me reiterate. The pats are not unbeatable and they can and will give you an opportunity to beat them.

No, what the pats are is so damn good that the only teams that get an opportunity to play along with them are teams who are at the top of their game on that day. Further to my point, even when a team is on top of their game and is effectively beating the pats, the pats are almost never out of it. Because they are THAT good.

If a team is on it's game, NE can and will give an opposing team an op to walk thru the door. Especially if NE is ahead. But that's all the opposing team will get. It's usually one maybe two ops. If the opposing team doesn't cap? Sayonara. Same holds true if NE is coming from behind. All the opposing team needs to do is give them 1-2 opportunities. NE will cap. That's what good teams do. That's who NE is right now.

Fair enough. I do agree...on any given Sunday anything can happen.

But if they do lose, I don't think it will have a damn thing to do with the pressure getting to them. I started going down that road myself after Philly and Baltimore and then they went out and crushed the Steelers.

Then they turned in a "let's just get the W" effort today against a really bad team and I felt like I was teleported back to 2003 and 2004 when they would play well against good teams, and then gut out 3 point wins over bad teams. My guess is we will see the same thing next week against Miami, though the Pats will win by more than 10.

I'm not looking for Brady to go deep, but I was confused as to why we didn't have ANY form of a passing game. In past bad weather games, Brady has thrown a ton of screens and short passes. The wind has very little effect on those plays, so I expected they would mix that up with the run, but they didn't. THAT is why I am surprised and confused. I'm not expecting crazy things, but go look at Brady's stats in past bad weather games. He does well and generally has 200+ yards. I think a lot of that has to do with short passes and screens.

Last edited:
Huh?

This team is 14-0, the best offense in the league by far, with a chance to set multiple records:

most wins in a regular season
most passing touchdowns in a season
most TD catches in a season
most points scored by an offense in a season
most players to score a touchdown in a season
Best QB rating for a season

We still have the fourth ranked defense in the league, one of the best and deepest special teams units in the league, with the record for the longest kickoff return ever.

The only question I have is...... WTF is a thread calling tonights grind-it-out win "pathetic" still doing at the top of the forum page? Whats worse, the troll or those feeding the troll?

that is the strangest argument, how does the weather NOT affect a passing offense based on timing, perfect routs and precision?

and how past performances with different set of players and different offensive philosophy have anything to do with today?
I don't question play calling because we simply know nothing about how, why, or what was happening today with the team.

I think it's fair to say that Brady didn't have a great game, but, the thread starter called a big win in bad weather.."pathetic" , and that indicates to me a spoiled fan who forgot what's the most important thing about Football...Winning!

I'm not looking for Brady to go deep, but I was confused as to why we didn't have ANY form of a passing game. In past bad weather games, Brady has thrown a ton of screens and short passes. The wind has very little effect on those plays, so I expected they would mix that up with the run, but they didn't. THAT is why I am surprised and confused. I'm not expecting crazy things, but go look at Brady's stats in past bad weather games. He does well and generally has 200+ yards. I think a lot of that has to do with short passes and screens.

To repeat.... No team playing on the east coast in the storm threw for 200 yards or more.

8 teams
0 200 yard passing teams

I hope that helps clear it up for you. However, let's delve a little further:

New England 134 passing yards, 14-27 (52%), 1 sack, 4.8 ypa
Jets 146 passing yards, 25-40 (63%), 5 sacks, 3.2 ypa
Giants 156 passing yards, 18-52 (35%), 2 sacks, 3.1 ypa
Redskins 168 passing yards, 8-25 (32%), 2 sacks, 5.8 ypa
Jaguars 197 passing yards, 17-33 (52%), 0 sacks, 6.0 ypa
Steelers 106 passing yards, 16-33 (48%), 5 sacks, 2.8 ypa
Browns 130 passing yards, 9-24 (38%), 1 sack, 5.2 ypa
Bills 124 passing yards, 13-33 (39%), 0 sacks, 3.8 ypa

So, out of 8 teams, New England was one of 3 teams to complete over 50% of the pass attempts and was 4th in ypa. Only the Jaguars' passing game threw for better than 50% AND better than 4.8 ypa.

The weather just flat out sucked. Take note of it and move on.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I do agree...on any given Sunday anything can happen.

But if they do lose, I don't think it will have a damn thing to do with the pressure getting to them. I started going down that road myself after Philly and Baltimore and then they went out and crushed the Steelers.

Then they turned in a "let's just get the W" effort today against a really bad team and I felt like I was teleported back to 2003 and 2004 when they would play well against good teams, and then gut out 3 point wins over bad teams. My guess is we will see the same thing next week against Miami, though the Pats will win by more than 10.
Yea, think about it this way. All us Bolts fan are happy to have clinched our div in the way we did today. The spread was 11+ and we rolled the Lions. For the most part, most Bolts fans are not surprised that we covered.

NE on the other hand was in worker mode today. I saw most of the game. Whether or not the Jets were tossing "A" game is debatable. I'd say it was less than that. The Jets are not a very good team this year and NE could have put 40-50 on them just as easily as not. But NE didn't and that has everything to do with the weight of the moment.

Let me put it this way. If NE blows the Dolphins out at home next week I will be further impressed. And it won't be because the phins have game.

Yea, think about it this way. All us Bolts fan are happy to have clinched our div in the way we did today. The spread was 11+ and we rolled the Lions. For the most part, most Bolts fans are not surprised that we covered.

NE on the other hand was in worker mode today. I saw most of the game. Whether or not the Jets were tossing "A" game is debatable. I'd say it was less than that. The Jets are not a very good team this year and NE could have put 40-50 on them just as easily as not. But NE didn't and that has everything to do with the weight of the moment.

Let me put it this way. If NE blows the Dolphins out at home next week I will be further impressed. And it won't be because the phins have game.

all us bolts fans ? that's funny!!

I gotta agree that "pathetic" is a little much. He had a bad game, but considering the weather, yea, it wasn't pathetic.

Worst game of the year.

Anyone who wasn't at Gillette has NO OPINION worth considering on this game. I was at the game and conditions were horrendous from start to finish. I just LOVE when people think they know what's up when all they did was watch the game from the comfort of their own homes.

The Patriots were fine, Brady was fine, Moroney was fine, Belichick was fine, and the defense was excellent.

What a joke.

To repeat.... No team playing on the east coast in the storm threw for 200 yards or more.

8 teams
0 200 yard passing teams

I hope that helps clear it up for you. However, let's delve a little further:

New England 134 passing yards, 14-27 (52%), 1 sack, 4.8 ypa
Jets 146 passing yards, 25-40 (63%), 5 sacks, 3.2 ypa
Giants 156 passing yards, 18-52 (35%), 2 sacks, 3.1 ypa
Redskins 168 passing yards, 8-25 (32%), 2 sacks, 5.8 ypa
Jaguars 197 passing yards, 17-33 (52%), 0 sacks, 6.0 ypa
Steelers 106 passing yards, 16-33 (48%), 5 sacks, 2.8 ypa
Browns 130 passing yards, 9-24 (38%), 1 sack, 5.2 ypa
Bills 124 passing yards, 13-33 (39%), 0 sacks, 3.8 ypa

So, out of 8 teams, New England was one of 3 teams to complete over 50% of the pass attempts and was 4th in ypa. Only the Jaguars' passing game threw for better than 50% AND better than 4.8 ypa.

The weather just flat out sucked. Take note of it and move on.

Thank you Deus Irae! I was at the game and called the "friend" who was kind enough to sell me his tickets for Sunday's game and he told me the announcers said the weather wasn't as bad as expected. I can tell EVERYONE that they were lying....it was absolutely as bad, if not worse than everyone expected!

The weather is the story of the game as you explained and proved in you statistics. Great Job!

Anyone who wasn't at Gillette has NO OPINION worth considering on this game. I was at the game and conditions were horrendous from start to finish. I just LOVE when people think they know what's up when all they did was watch the game from the comfort of their own homes.

The Patriots were fine, Brady was fine, Moroney was fine, Belichick was fine, and the defense was excellent.

What a joke.

I have a wind related question, based upon one person's gripe about the lack of screens. I have been able to get a read on how bad the wind was when the QBs tried to go downfield, but how bad was it for the QBs trying to throw sideways?

P.S. I don't think wind is the only reason screen passes would have been a bad idea this game, but I'm still curious.

Last edited:

yeah...but you missed the whole "no noise again at the Razor!!!!" brouhaha..."I didn't hear any ...ON TV...so THAT proves it!!!"....I was in the south end zone just like last week and my voice is gone AGAIN, probably til Wednesday...and one of the first post game threads I open is this whining about "lousy fans!!!!". Perhaps the REASON these arbiters of "True Patriotship" should actually attend a freaking game for once in their overwhelmingly astute lives and SEE the empty red seats BELOW the TV booths.You won't hear any loud cheering FROM EMPTY SEATS! But this clue constantly evades the "Patriot Correct Fanship Police" who just can't wait to damn the fans who braved conditions akin to the Chosin Death March, because THEY couldn't perceive any appreciable noise from the comfort of their Laz-E-Boy double recliners.

I'll be there next Sunday...maybe I can sneak in a small pocket recorder and post the noise level from the south EZ on a .wav file...that is, if the recorder doesn't disintegrate from the Db's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe