PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

What a pathetic performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I said was that Brady had a bad game. In comparison to what he has done before in bad weather games, he had a bad game. BUT I also said that it was partly due to the play calling and dropped passes/wrong routes, etc.

I don't think Brady sucks, I just think he didn't play all that well today and obviously the weather only made things a lot worse. Maybe I am a little too harsh on him...

Has NEM once again infiltrated this board?? this is all Shyte we are 14-0 in an outdoor stadium, played in unbelievable weather.. instead of rejoicing, people findining fault.. maybe we should replay all of the games from the early 90's to show how fortunate we really are to have this franchise, this coaching staff and these players..

I know I know, but I have an insatiable thirst for beatdowns...

Well, complaining when your team is 14-0, and just won a game without really ever leaving the outcome in serious doubt, is a good way to encourage one :D

PFnV

Sigh. You may very well be right. I need to wait and see what I can see. If SD is fortunate enough to meet NE at the razor this season, i'm sure we'll have an occasion to debate the subject again.

well, you seem reasonable enough, sorry about norv. seriously though, it will be tough for any team to come into the razor and beat the pats, especially when they're going for history. surprisingly, espn has never mentioned this.

yeah...and real surprising that the Sunday Night crew opened up with "real bad weather in Pitt and Buffalo today!!!!!" and failed to even MENTION the Razor. Count those clowns in for a free hour long visit to the "Punch In The Mouth" booth in Phoenix on Super Bowl week...along with Easterschmuck, Tom Jerkson, Howdy Doody Eisen, Done Marino and the long parade line of incompetant hayseed wackenhuts from the "heartland" that somehow get their near mongolid level pieces picked up by the national wire services.

I'm just saying I know my team. It doesn't take me long to know how we are going to play the game. Sometimes it effects the outcome, sometimes it don't. Like I said in my first post, we have a team that is good enough to win whether we have it or not. We are just that good. That's why we are 14-0. We can come into a game not looking to good, but beable to get it together enough to pull out a victory, like today. Yes, the bad weather had effected the game, but the bad weather has nothing to do with bad communication, and lack of focus.

You don't "Know your team" any more than the rest of us frankie:rolleyes: I don't think we lacked focus at all...or that no team can focus under the conditions of yesterday's game.

Were you even at the game or did you watch from home?

Last edited:
Let me just make sure I'm on the same page as everyone here. The guys smashing everyone believes Brady had a fine game, or they just don't care. Is that right?

I have stated that Brady had a bad day, which he did, and the passing game was bad (play calling and WR). I don't think anyone here is saying that the offense is terribe or the team is terrible, etc. The running game was good, but the lack of a passing game held the offense down.

Now, the reason I want to talk about Brady having a bad game, is because I want to discuss, WHY he had a bad game. The bad weather is NOT an excuse, brady has played in conditions like this before. I don't think they utilized the passing game as well as they could have. They didn't really use many screen plays and short pass plays. At one point they had 2 consecutive drives where they ran on 1st and 2nd down, then passed on 3rd, but the defense reacted really well to our plays and we couldn't get those thrid downs.

Nit picky, but that is why I am talking about Brady and Offense having a bad day.

You're wasting your time if you really expected constructive discussion of Brady's poor game. The most frequent posters on this board are unabashed homers so what you get from them isn't rational and objective discussion but instead the immaturity that one expects from very small children. They respond to their inability to refute opinions they don't like by insults or by constructing strawmen. Use them for entertainment and as foils as I do but don't expect anything logical out of them.

One of the best performances of the year, imo. Far from pathetic. I feel so much better tonight after watching the game about the team's future in the playoffs. The elements took away the passing game. So the Patriots ran the ball very effectively and for the most part stopped the run. The lines both controlled the line of scrimmage effectively. The linebackers stepped up and had a solid game. The secondary had a solid effort too.

I had concerns that this team couldn't handle a home field advantage in January in Foxboro. Cold, wind, ice, snow, frozen field. All of these things are to be expected here next month. These conditions will ground finesse air based attacks completely. They will neutralize small speed and finesse based defenses (just ask the Colts). This is smashmouth in your face time.

Well the Pats showed me today that they were up to that task. The D pitched an almost shut out in a style reminiscent of 03/04. The Jets could move the ball to some degree. But the D stiffened as it was backed up inside its red zone. And the Pats controlled the LOS, the flow of the game and the time on the clock throughout. The outcome was never really in doubt.

For those looking for 4 TD/300yd. passing games, fuggetaboutit in this weather. This is what I was worried about as the season started when the Pats obviously changed their offensive philosophy. Today put my mind at ease.

BTW, if this has already been said, forgive. Its late and I didn't want to read umpteen pages of posts.

You obviously watched the game with your homer glasses on. Take them off and rewatch the game and you'll see an offense that was OUTPERFORMED by one of the WORSE offenses in the league. This despite supposedly being the "greatest offense ever" and facing one of the WORSE defenses in the league. I am more worried coming out of this game than I was going in.

To repeat.... No team playing on the east coast in the storm threw for 200 yards or more.

8 teams
0 200 yard passing teams

I hope that helps clear it up for you. However, let's delve a little further:

New England 134 passing yards, 14-27 (52%), 1 sack, 4.8 ypa
Jets 146 passing yards, 25-40 (63%), 5 sacks, 3.2 ypa
Giants 156 passing yards, 18-52 (35%), 2 sacks, 3.1 ypa
Redskins 168 passing yards, 8-25 (32%), 2 sacks, 5.8 ypa
Jaguars 197 passing yards, 17-33 (52%), 0 sacks, 6.0 ypa
Steelers 106 passing yards, 16-33 (48%), 5 sacks, 2.8 ypa
Browns 130 passing yards, 9-24 (38%), 1 sack, 5.2 ypa
Bills 124 passing yards, 13-33 (39%), 0 sacks, 3.8 ypa

So, out of 8 teams, New England was one of 3 teams to complete over 50% of the pass attempts and was 4th in ypa. Only the Jaguars' passing game threw for better than 50% AND better than 4.8 ypa.

The weather just flat out sucked. Take note of it and move on.

Here are some FACTS you left out of your "analysis".

The Pats have the N.1 RANKED OFFENSE and were facing the N.27TH RANKED DEFENSE. The Jets have the N.28TH RANKED OFFENSE and were facing the N.4 RANKED DEFENSE. Yet, the Jets OFFENSE OUTPERFORMED THE PATRIOTS OFFENSE. This thread isn't about how many teams went over 200 yards, this is about the lack of efficiency by the Pats O against a ****TY D, a lack of efficiency which WASN'T DISPLAYED by the inferior Jets O.

If a "weak armed" Pennington can go over the Jets' average completion %tage against a good defense, then I don't expect the supposed "greatest QB ever" to be 17-18 percentage pts below his team's completion % when facing a crappy defense.

Those are the facts. You can run and hide from them but that will not change the fact that Brady played like crap and almost cost the Patriots the game.

What a pathetic fanbase.

No, really.

If the Patriots blow Pittsburgh out you complain because we don't have a defense or a running game, if we run effectively on the Jets and the defense plays great, Brady sucks and almost cost us the game. Gone are the times when we could enjoy a hard fought win in the snow, now we have to endure all this smart***es telling us why the performance wasn't perfect, why our team will fall in the playoffs if such obvious and inexcusable flaws continue to show up. Guess what, Indy beat the Raiders by seven points in a game they returned a punt for a touchdown. On proper weather conditions. Dallas scored only 6 points and Romo played like ****. Pittsburgh got dominated by Jacksonville. So what? Are you telling me there are no good teams in the league, then?

Some of you are becoming WAY, WAY worse then the much ridiculed (even on these boards) Red Sox nation. Grow the eff up.

Here are some FACTS you left out of your "analysis".

The Pats have the N.1 RANKED OFFENSE and were facing the N.27TH RANKED DEFENSE. The Jets have the N.28TH RANKED OFFENSE and were facing the N.4 RANKED DEFENSE. Yet, the Jets OFFENSE OUTPERFORMED THE PATRIOTS OFFENSE. This thread isn't about how many teams went over 200 yards, this is about the lack of efficiency by the Pats O against a ****TY D, a lack of efficiency which WASN'T DISPLAYED by the inferior Jets O.

If a "weak armed" Pennington can go over the Jets' average completion %tage against a good defense, then I don't expect the supposed "greatest QB ever" to be 17-18 percentage pts below his team's completion % when facing a crappy defense.

Those are the facts. You can run and hide from them but that will not change the fact that Brady played like crap and almost cost the Patriots the game.

Please, tell me what metric you're using to determine that the Jets O "OUTPERFORMED" the Patriots O.

Yardage? Nope. Pats' net yards: 265. Jets' net yards: 236.

Points scored? Nope. Pats: 13. Jets: 3.

Turnovers? Nope. Pats: 1. Jets: 2.

Time of possession? Nope. Pats: 33:37. Jets: 26:23.

Yards per pass? Nope. Pats: 5.19. Jets: 4.65.

Yards per play? Nope. Pats: 4.21. Jets:3.81.

The Jets ran for 49 yards on a gimmick play that was clamped down after that. Without that one play, their stats look even worse, as they averaged 2.6 yards per carry and were completely unable to run the ball.

If you want to argue that the Patriots offense struggled, knock yourself out. But you have no right to mock others for irrational opinions when you're making stuff up like saying the Jets offense outperformed the Patriots offense. Didn't happen, and you saying it does only makes you look like you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.

Please, tell me what metric you're using to determine that the Jets O "OUTPERFORMED" the Patriots O.

The Jets ran for 49 yards on a gimmick play that was clamped down after that. Without that one play, their stats look even worse, as they averaged 2.6 yards per carry and were completely unable to run the ball.

If you want to argue that the Patriots offense struggled, knock yourself out. But you have no right to mock others for irrational opinions when you're making stuff up like saying the Jets offense outperformed the Patriots offense. Didn't happen, and you saying it does only makes you look like you're complaining just for the sake of complaining.

I have to agree 100%. On a day where the Pats were handicapped by inclement weather and somewhat awkward offensive coordination, they still came through and made the big plays when it counted. Maroney put the concerns over the running game to bed, which should make people happy. The defense played an awesome game and guys like Wilson and Seymour finally stepped up. I would have liked to see the Pats try to do more with the short passing game, but the scoreboard tells me I shouldn't worry too much.

Leave him alone Ethan...he's obviously not a knowledgeable fan of football. He probably never even played the game:rolleyes:

What is stupid is this argument. Take a look at all the teams that played in this weather and the passing yardage....

Cleveland 130
Buffalo 124
New York 156
Washington 168
Jacksonville 197
Pittsburgh 106
Jets 146
N.E. 134

Not a single team playing on the east coast in the bad weather got even 200 yards passing. Brady certainly didn't play his best game, but the negative people here, as usual, have displayed a disappointing inability to grasp context.

Dude, forget what everyone else did, we are talking about Superman here. Did you hear Jaws before the Ravens game. Wind, no problem, Brady's spiral will cut right through gale force winds. Yesterday, sleet, high winds, no problem, the Hulk is undefeated in this wintry mix. All the analysts proclaimed winter is no match for Brady. Hey, the guy dates a Supermodel, enough said. So when the Club Med fans are disappointed in our qb's performance its part hype part glass half empty. BTW, great post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back