PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WFAN: Jets 'close" to signing Lynch (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WFAN Reporting Jets 'Close" To Signing Lynch

BLASPHEMY....just who do you think is going to be signing your baby??

Jonathon Kraft

and its not my Baby

Last edited:

I was kinda joking, though the loss doesn't help.

How about the fact that he walked off before the game was over that was pretty dumb.

Perhaps if you weren't crying so damn hard, you would have noticed he did seek out Coughlin before he left, only to be called back when the ahole officials (that refused to call HOLDING) couldn't get the clock right.

Be careful, you could be banned from Tampa in Feb., at least going there in style.

Re: WFAN: Jets 'close" to signing Lynch

Can we trade for Cimini? He comes to do the Pats for the Herald, and Pats send the Daily NewsTomase and a reporter to be named later.

For sure. That drawn up "through the fingers interception" play to Asante was really called at an inopportune time.

He probably should have also not went with the "poor execution by the O-line" game plan the whole team either. Hindsight says he should have abandoned it completely in the second half, or used it sparingly at the least.

:confused:
:rofl: 10 characters

Re: WFAN: Jets 'close" to signing Lynch

I didn't want him here to begin with ... too much emotion for players like this ... what good is a SS that can't cover a freaking RB?

Jets want Lynch

SAFETY COURSE: Sources said the Jets remain interested in free-agent S John Lynch, who was released Sunday by the Patriots. Many assume Lynch has an agreement with the Patriots to re-sign after Week 1 - that way, his 2008 salary wouldn't be guaranteed - but the Jets are trying to intercept the nine-time Pro Bowler. This is the latest scrap between the two rivals.

Surprisingly, Eric Mangini, usually tight-lipped when asked about available players, actually confirmed the team's interest. (A message to Bill Belichick, perhaps?) Mangini said Lynch is on a short list, adding, "It's not a list of one. It's a group of players."

Scouts say Lynch, who turns 37 in three weeks, has slowed down considerably. But the Jets apparently have a role in mind for him. They went after him hard in early August, when he was released by the Broncos.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...09-01_joey_porter_hits_brett_favre_early.html

Based on those quotes at least from both Lynch and BB after JL was cut the other day, you would think there is a handshake agreement in place for him to come back in a few weeks, or next week. But the Jets made a big push (and supposedly offered more money) the first time and they're going to try again.

Re: Jets want Lynch

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...09-01_joey_porter_hits_brett_favre_early.html

Based on those quotes at least from both Lynch and BB after JL was cut the other day, you would think there is a handshake agreement in place for him to come back in a few weeks, or next week. But the Jets made a big push (and supposedly offered more money) the first time and they're going to try again.

Reiss reported this Sunday night. It's been discussed in other threads. Where this belongs. They cut him knowing the risks. He knows the role here,appreciates there is continuing interest down the road, but he's likely holding out for a larger role and out of the gate. If he takes a similar role in NJ...because they offer him more coin and guarantee it, then I guess he didn't belong here.

Reiss reported this Sunday night. It's been discussed in other threads. Where this belongs. They cut him knowing the risks. He knows the role here,appreciates there is continuing interest down the road, but he's likely holding out for a larger role and out of the gate. If he takes a similar role in NJ...because they offer him more coin and guarantee it, then I guess he didn't belong here.

Ditto for Ty Law and those numerous threads.

I think if Lynch knows for sure that he will come back to the Pats in a week or two, no way will he sign with the Jets. He already had the chance to play for the Jets for more money and passed. Now the Jets probably don't have the cap flexibility that they had a few weeks ago to give him a better deal.

Blah blah blah, like it or not Lynch will be a Patriot in less than a week (maybe 2 weeks, but I doubt it).

Whoops...my mistake, didn't see the other thread from yesterday.

I spoke to someone at scout.com about the release of Lynch. He told me that the problem with Lynch was that he was Very Slow in Coverage. He didn't quite look up to speed in space, but he was tough against the run.
He had trouble disguising his coverage. The 23-yard DeSean Jackson play was one that should have been stopped short, but then there was a 21-yard L smith play and a 12 yard pass over the middle. It was Lynch's job to stop those. Take it for what it's worth. Like I said before, Shanahan cut him for a reason. Maybe his weak coverage skills were the reason. He was good in run support, but weak in coverage.
I would have to go back and watch the game. I didn't really focus on him that much. Can anyone confirm this?

The person that I spoke to also said that the Law camp has stopped TALKING. Again, FWIW.

I never pay that much attention to the technicalities of each play, but I remember several times when Lynch was right there to stop a run up the middle (ala Rodney), but several other times (one was one of the special teams run-backs for a TD in week 3) where the open-field runner went right by Lynch, who looked like he was in slow motion. So, I would say unscientifically that your source is correct.

If the Jets get him and use him like we were going to use him (situational run-stopper) then good signing for them. If they get him for a full-time safety, then good siging for us. I still hope he comes back to the Pats as a part-time player, but who can blame the guy if he gets a better deal elsewhere?

The other alternative, of course, is that the Patriots were unimpressed.

He played a lot in the fourth game - perhaps more than any other player. He was out there in the fourth quarter playing with all the other players that were released.

At a minimum, the Patriots evaluated his play and decided that they were willing to take the risk that he would sign elsewhere.

Their whole 'big nickel' approach seems at risk. First it was working with Tank Williams, and then John Lynch, in a three-safety/three-DL/three LB defense. Both are now unavailable.

We'll see in a week or two.

The other alternative, of course, is that the Patriots were unimpressed.

He played a lot in the fourth game - perhaps more than any other player. He was out there in the fourth quarter playing with all the other players that were released.

At a minimum, the Patriots evaluated his play and decided that they were willing to take the risk that he would sign elsewhere.

Their whole 'big nickel' approach seems at risk. First it was working with Tank Williams, and then John Lynch, in a three-safety/three-DL/three LB defense. Both are now unavailable.

We'll see in a week or two.

They still have 3 quality safeties so I wouldn't rule out the big nickle which in my opinion isnt really the big nickle any more. What I mean is when we tried the big nickle with Victor Green we were replacing a CB with Green but in this new version we replace a LB with a safety (not exactly getting a bigger package).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents