PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WFAN: Jets 'close" to signing Lynch (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: WFAN Reporting Jets 'Close" To Signing Lynch

I spoke to someone at scout.com about the release of Lynch. He told me that the problem with Lynch was that he was Very Slow in Coverage. He didn't quite look up to speed in space, but he was tough against the run.
He had trouble disguising his coverage. The 23-yard DeSean Jackson play was one that should have been stopped short, but then there was a 21-yard L smith play and a 12 yard pass over the middle. It was Lynch's job to stop those. Take it for what it's worth. Like I said before, Shanahan cut him for a reason. Maybe his weak coverage skills were the reason. He was good in run support, but weak in coverage.
I would have to go back and watch the game. I didn't really focus on him that much. Can anyone confirm this?

The person that I spoke to also said that the Law camp has stopped TALKING. Again, FWIW.

I mean, that would make sense given that was his MO when we signed him.

As for Law, I think the discussions with the Pats were heating up because of a perceived (justly or unjustly) weakness at corner. Once we signed O'Neal, the Law camp no longer had the leverage, thus couldn't get us to pay the figure they had in mind.

Last edited:

But thats not my point. how would they sign replacements? Would they be penalized aka a fine if they go over the cap will it count against next years cap?

What happens?
No, they can't go over this year's cap. A team has to get under the cap in order for the league to approve the signing. For example, when the Jets traded for Favre, they had to clear space under the cap before the league would approve the transaction - which they did by cutting Pennington.

But thats not my point. how would they sign replacements? Would they be penalized aka a fine if they go over the cap will it count against next years cap?

What happens?

I don't think the league would approve contracts if it would put them over the cap. They would probably have to start restructuring existing players, increasing future cap hits. IIRC the Colts did this with Peyton and Harrison several years ago to free up cap space, You could classify this as mortgaging the future and it's what put the 49ers in cap h*ll a few years ago. But if you're Mangini, it's win now or else.....Miguel is the final authority on all things cap-related,

Last edited:
Re: WFAN: Jets 'close" to signing Lynch

I don't know if this report is true or not, but you would think that Lynch would prefer to play for a winner in NE (if in fact the Pats want to bring him back and have communicated that to him) rather than play for a team that will struggle to go 8-8. We'll see.

Last edited:

I don't know if this report is true or not, but you would think that Lynch would prefer to play for a winner in NE (if in fact the Pats want to bring him back and have communicated that to him) rather than play for a team that will struggle to go 8-8. We'll see.

The Jets don't expect to struggle to go 8-8, and I doubt Lynch expects they will, either.

Just were $1.9M under the cap as of August 25:
were they counting 51 or 53 players on August 25?

Hopefully if he does sign for a larger role he won't stand out; not that I dislike him, but he's poised to make Bill look very stupid here if he excels.
Can you tell me the last time someone made Bill look stupid?

This one hurts to say but last febuary.

I think that happened to the ENTIRE TEAM, not just the headcoach.

I vow at this moment, that I will not speak of that event again.

Last edited:

Belichick looked "very stupid" in the SB???

I was kinda joking, though the loss doesn't help.

How about the fact that he walked off before the game was over that was pretty dumb.

If Lynch signs with the Jets, so be it. He is no longer the

quality player he was with Tampa Bay.

Every player he's let go to other teams have turned out well, certainly. But this one's pretty unique in that the Pats have the money and Bill didn't take long (relatively) to look at him.

All I'm saying is that I hope it doesn't turn out badly, cause I'll be pretty annoyed if I see Lynch in a Jets uniform force another pick on a blitz after he was in our uniform in the same year.

This will add another chapter in the Border war between these 2 teams.. If he signs good luck, if he wants to come back more than welcome.. Dont know how I feel either way about it..

For sure. That drawn up "through the fingers interception" play to Asante was really called at an inopportune time.

He probably should have also not went with the "poor execution by the O-line" game plan the whole team either. Hindsight says he should have abandoned it completely in the second half, or used it sparingly at the least.

:confused:

How about the fact that he walked off before the game was over that was pretty dumb.

Stop it. That's been explained a million times.

This will add another chapter in the Border war between these 2 teams.. If he signs good luck, if he wants to come back more than welcome.. Dont know how I feel either way about it..

I think it would be a real funny and telling chapter to the border war if lynch were to not go there and decided to take less PT to be part of the better team.

I don't think you could blame if he chose more PT over us but it would be funny if he didn't

But to quote Cimini's more recent post (the first one):

But let’s be realistic: The Patriots are smart, and they wouldn’t put him out there if they thought there was a chance he’d sign with the Jets. Remember how they let Randy Moss hit the free-agent market, fueling speculation he could sign elsewhere? Come on, the Patriots knew he was coming back. It sounds like it’s the same situation with Lynch.

BLASPHEMY....just who do you think is going to be signing your baby??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Back