PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Westhoff accuses Patriots of building sideline wall, too

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking forward to the video footage and former Patriots employees Matt Walsh has stored in his cupboard down the golf course waiting for this Senate enquiry.

Then I guess that Westoff blames the Pats because Rexxy is a loudmouthed fata$$ and a lousy head coach. What a fuggin loser. LOHICA! :D

I still don't understand what on earth the NFL has to investigate here.

I haven't seen a rule that says a "human wall" is not permitted.

The wall actually isn't a problem, but the Jets staff were deployed in the wall formation in an area of the field where staff aren't permitted, period.

Following the lesson of spygate -- that the most important thing isn't what you do but that you do it in the correct designated areas of the field -- this must be a big deal, right?

I haven't seen a rule that says a "human wall" is not permitted. The gunner gets his 6 foot safety zone. Beyond that, it's the bench. If a team wants to position people just outside the gunner's safety zone to gain an advantage, and the rules say it's ok, I'm in favor of it. It's innovative and clever and something I don't mind my team doing in the slightest.

My guess is that the NFL agrees with me here, because of the part of this article that says the league is considering issuing a memo on the subject. That's a different kettle of fish. If the league formally says that the human wall is unsporting, then that's that and we know going forward.

I'm not saying that the league shouldn't consider whether the sanction the Jets guy got was severe enough. And I'd have no problem with the league saying that what he did has no place in the game, and that a greater sanction is warranted. But I wouldn't like it to be retroactive.

How about the fact that they are blatantly lying during a league investigation?

I haven't seen a rule that says a "human wall" is not permitted. The gunner gets his 6 foot safety zone. Beyond that, it's the bench. If a team wants to position people just outside the gunner's safety zone to gain an advantage, and the rules say it's ok, I'm in favor of it. It's innovative and clever and something I don't mind my team doing in the slightest.

My guess is that the NFL agrees with me here, because of the part of this article that says the league is considering issuing a memo on the subject. That's a different kettle of fish. If the league formally says that the human wall is unsporting, then that's that and we know going forward.

I'm not saying that the league shouldn't consider whether the sanction the Jets guy got was severe enough. And I'd have no problem with the league saying that what he did has no place in the game, and that a greater sanction is warranted. But I wouldn't like it to be retroactive.

Uniformed players have less restrictions on where they can be on the sideline when compared to other sideline staff/players. In this case, the players/coaches were in an area of the sideline they are not allowed to be.

Dude, the Jets must really hate the Pats. They can't keep NE off the brain. This is laughable.

Steelers are going to absolutely destroy this team Sunday.

How about the fact that they are blatantly lying during a league investigation?

This is the third level of lying that we know about at this point:

Chronologically:

1) Ryan after the game claims he never saw the incident - - blatantly overturned because of the CBS game tape.

2) Jets official statement from Tannenbaum claiming it never happened before and was not coached - - overturned today by the inactive TE Jeff Cumberland who told Jenny Vrentas that it had been done all year long and that he and the other inactives were coached to do it by Alosi

3) Westhoff today on radio claiming that the Patriots do it, goes into detail about it, then incredibly claims he never pays attention to other teams' sidelines.

This is now three bold face lies that have been made in public by the Jets that have been overturned by the truth. They are definitely hiding something here.

I haven't seen a rule that says a "human wall" is not permitted.

If the Jets admitted that they had the players line up to restrict the ability of the gunner to run out of bounds, but a coach went rogue and contacted a player...there would be nothing to investigate. The statement would match the facts and it would be easy to move on.

That didn't happen. The Jets explanation doesn't match reality. Remember when Goodell said he didn't accept Belichick's explanation that he had a different interpretation of the memo? He effectively called him a liar because his explanation didn't wash with a reasonable interpretation of events. This is no different.

The Jets lied from day one and are continuing to lie. People lie for a reason. If the situation were as innocuous as I described above, there were almost no consequences for telling the truth. So for the Jets to lie, they must be covering up something. ***Not saying I believe this, just saying it is a logical conclusion***

In fact, I can only think of one possible situation here that is worth lying over. Someone in authority for the Jets (not a low-level coach) formulated a plan to intentionally contact a player...either to eliminate him from the play or to eliminate him from the game/season. That is a firing offense with no other reasonable course of action. Certainly has to be investigated.

I'm not saying this is what happened but it is hard to dismiss based on the statements from the Jets.

Last edited:
:rofl: Westoff is accusing the Patriots of doing nothing wrong......and it draws headlines.
Take it as a compliment Patriot Nation. The Patriots are the GOLD STANDARD of the NFL.

This is the third level of lying that we know about at this point:

Chronologically:

1) Ryan after the game claims he never saw the incident - - blatantly overturned because of the CBS game tape.

2) Jets official statement from Tannenbaum claiming it never happened before and was not coached - - overturned today by the inactive TE Jeff Cumberland who told Jenny Vrentas that it had been done all year long and that he and the other inactives were coached to do it by Alosi

3) Westhoff today on radio claiming that the Patriots do it, goes into detail about it, then incredibly claims he never pays attention to other teams' sidelines.

This is now three bold face lies that have been made in public by the Jets that have been overturned by the truth. They are definitely hiding something here.

Don't forget that #2 heavily implies that Westhoff is lying when he says he had no idea this was going on. You don't know what is going on at your sideline all year long? Probably implies the same for Ryan.

edit:
additionally -
Ray Anderson from NFL office said Jets wall alignment on sidelines violated playing rules. Said it was "improper"

Last edited:
You just know that Westhoff's implication of the Patriots in these types of shenanigans is going to be bulletin board fodder in the NE locker-room, and will doubtless be a catalyst for another beat-down of the NY Rats next time the teams play. :rocker:

I love it. He claims to have inside knowledge of every team's sideline practices except his own.

Well said.

Also note that the line for players to use when they line up is well behind the line used in the Jets game - and would be very unlikely to be impeding a player who was pushed out of bounds (unless you've get great pushers on your team!)

I just lost all respect for Wetshoff. Be a man and tell the t6ruth that you directed the S & C Coach and InActive players to stand there like a wall to make the gunner go around it. BTW, having active defensive players standing there is not against the rules! Having Inactive players standing like a wall in soccer is!

The Jests and Alosi should be fined as a team, same as the Broncos.

Trying to deflect this on the Patriots is childish and Westhoff should be fined for his comments too!

No they deserve a firmer penalty than the Patriots got. This crime could have injuired a player for life and ended a career.

Forfeit a First Round Draft pick and fine the Jets organization at least as much as the inflation adusted $750,000 dollars the Patriots paid. And fine the Coaches involved too, as Belichick and others paid.

No they deserve a firmer penalty than the Patriots got. This crime could have injuired a player for life and ended a career.

Forfeit a First Round Draft pick and fine the Jets organization at least as much as the inflation adusted $750,000 dollars the Patriots paid. And fine the Coaches involved too, as Belichick and others paid.

Jetdell would never fathom doing this to his beloved NY Rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News