PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

O/T: Building the Patriots All Time 53 Man roster

The snow kick gives AV cult hero status here, and it should. And AV was great for us. Most people just dont realize how great SG was. At one point far into his career he was 2nd or 3rd all time in FG accuracy. Thats crazy.

Great post, love it! Very convincing that Gost was the better K. So I'll concede that BUT if I need one K for postseason game-winner then it's AV no question. And if I can only put one of them in the NFL HOF then it's also AV. Maybe I'm overvaluing it but that 45-yard FG in the snow bowl was ****ing amazing. To this day when I watch the replay I still can't believe he made that kick. It's looks impossible every time.

I have a nice photo of that kick, signed by AV and framed in my man cave... AV definitely had the iconic moments in his career that helped elevate him and likely will get him into the HoF

one stat ill have to look up later, how many game winning kicks have they each made.. a lot of that just comes down to opportunity, but would be curious to get the data since there is typically more pressure in those situations

Brother, you apparently don't know what a pick 6 is.

What stat(s) determines in your mind that Gost is better than AV? I love stats, please share.

And if you could only put one of them in the NFL HOF then who would it be?
AV

@Boomer B Of course you don’t agree. You can’t understand how numbers work
Ya, my finance degree is worthless when it comes to numbers. The multiple financial docs and business plans I’ve developed for the projects Ive been involved in are worthless for numbers. You truly sound like a clown when you put down people you know nothing about. Aren’t you the guy on here who shoots blanks? Maybe work on that before trying to put others down.

In terms of AV vs Ghost, I’ll trust Belichick when he said AV is the greatest ever and one of the most clutch players ever over your assessment of the numbers. I’ll take the guy who will be one of the only special teams players who will be in the Hall of Fame over the guy who will never sniff it.

Belichick on AV: “Adam Vinatieri is the greatest kicker of all-time who made the greatest kick of all-time in the 2001 divisional playoffs,” Belichick said. “His consistency, mental toughness and performance under pressure was legendary. I am honored to have coached Adam, going all the way back to his rookie year in 1996 and through some of the most special moments in Patriots and league history. Adam is in the rarest of echelon of athletes whose career accomplishments may never be matched.”

Gostkowski over Vinatieri is dumb.
Agreed.

I understand Bledsoe makes this squad by default but does anyone else agree that Garoppolo is a better quarterback? Like if I'm naming a Patriots quarterback to win me one game then obviously Brady is #1, then Grogan #2, but then I'm pretty much going Garoppolo #3 over Bledsoe. Jim Plunkett over Bledsoe for the single game too. Hell, Cam in his prime over Bledsoe. Cassel?... nah, that's taking it too far.

Plunkett should be a no-brainer #3. Dude has Two rings.

Vinatieri also almost destroyed his own legend in the Super Bowl vs the Panthers where he missed two makeable FG's before hitting the game winner. If he had missed the latter he would have all but erased the 2001 magic.

Yep, I mentioned that in my prior post of him missing two field goals in that game.

AV had a weak leg. Gost was automatic with the touchbacks neutralizing the opposing kick return team. AV also struggled with kicks going past 50 yards. He was 62% kicker to Gost 76%. That's a big difference.

It did not cost them the game. I don’t recall time expiring after that play. Brady threw a pick six a year later and was down 28-3 to the Falcons.

Vinitraitor did NOT "miss" two FG attempts in SB38.

Vinitraitor did NOT "miss" two FG attempts in SB38.
You are correct. First one he shanked a 31 yarder after getting 5 extra yards from a penalty. 2nd one was blocked.

Ya, my finance degree is worthless when it comes to numbers. The multiple financial docs and business plans I’ve developed for the projects Ive been involved in are worthless for numbers. You truly sound like a clown when you put down people you know nothing about. Aren’t you the guy on here who shoots blanks? Maybe work on that before trying to put others down.

In terms of AV vs Ghost, I’ll trust Belichick when he said AV is the greatest ever and one of the most clutch players ever over your assessment of the numbers. I’ll take the guy who will be one of the only special teams players who will be in the Hall of Fame over the guy who will never sniff it.

Belichick on AV: “Adam Vinatieri is the greatest kicker of all-time who made the greatest kick of all-time in the 2001 divisional playoffs,” Belichick said. “His consistency, mental toughness and performance under pressure was legendary. I am honored to have coached Adam, going all the way back to his rookie year in 1996 and through some of the most special moments in Patriots and league history. Adam is in the rarest of echelon of athletes whose career accomplishments may never be matched.”

Just to be clear you are wrong about who the guy who shoots blanks is, that’s @DaBruinz.
Carry on

No way I'd take Mason over Thuney or Onwenu. No way Solder should be on that list.

As others have said, Michel Haynes should be on that list. Butler and Samuel weren't even top 10 in the league with the Pats. I'd take Jackson over Butler and Jackson doesn't belong on the list either. Aqib Talib doesn't belong on the list either.

Dietrich Wise does not belong on that list. I love Ty Warren, but he doesn't belong there either.

Love Ninkovich but he doesn't belong on that list. He was not as good as Vrabel or numerous others. Ted Johnson does not belong on that list either.

Was Ryan Allen REALLY the best punter that's ever suited up for the Pats???

It's clear the guy who wrote this has ZERO idea of Patriots team history prior to Bledsoe. Grogan and Cappelletti were token additions.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back