PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes Welker suspended 4 games

After smoking weed for how long a test can detect the use? A friend of mine is asking.
If it's a one time use, it's suppose to be like 3 days.

I'd be interested in hearing when the test was failed. Is that information that the NFL shares?...Unsubstantiated reports aside, I'd be more suspicious of him (perhaps unknowingly) taking an adulterated mental sharpness enhancer to help with the effects of PCS and get himself back on the field sooner.

No. There could be a very high profile lawsuit if the NFL did that. I believe Welker took some bad Molly at the Derby and it showed up in a drug test that came not too long after the event.

After hearing a bit more from Breer, this morning on 98.5, about the timing and specifics of the test, this does make the most sense, so I recant my earlier speculation.

There's nothing really squishy or fishy about such a failed drug test result.

A lab technician injects your sample into the instrument (likely an LCMS, for liquid chromatography-mass spectrometer). They see specific peaks in the spectrum that correspond to MDMA, plus those peaks show exactly the right mass values to be definitively identified as MDMA and/or its known degradation products.

Unless the sample wasn't from him, it's not something that anyone can easily fake. You couldn't even say that anyone tampered with the sample or added MDMA, because in that case the ratio of the MDMA peaks to the many peaks arising from the body's metabolism of MDMA would be way off and you could easily tell that it was a tainted sample.

According to Breer, the recreational drug test and performance enhancing drug test are separate entities with different target analytes. (The process is still governed by the 2006 CBA, as the HGH appeals process was never resolved under the 2011 CBA.) Thus, they are analyzing for various amphetamines, rather than MDMA or MDMA metabolites, none of which are on the list of performance-enhancing substances that I looked at (nor, to the best of my knowledge of organic chemistry which is limited but not insignificant, are the metabolites of those amphetamines likely to be the same as those of MDMA). Therefore, I find the speculation that adulterated MDMA might have been the culprit, whether that's "Bad MDMA," laced with meth-amphetamine or purportedly "Good MDMA" that some helpful chemist thought might be made better with a small amount of ephedra sprinkled in.

FWIW, the analysis is generally done via GC/MS.

The offer that DEN gave him was 2 yrs = 12 million.

The offer that NE gave him was 2 yrs = 10 million.

While the first year guaranteed money was more here in NE, the contract itself was not valued higher--which is what you seem to be suggesting. Denver gave him more money. Actually 2 million dollars more.

Denver hasn't given him more money yet.

They were whispering on NFL Network this morning about whether he'd be back with the Broncos after the suspension. His play dropped off precipitously last year post-concussion(s), and another one this year, and now the suspension. With Manny Sanders and Latimer, maybe they cut bait and save 3 million.

Honestly, I was surprised they brought him back. Now?

After smoking weed for how long a test can detect the use? A friend of mine is asking.
As I understand it:
1 week for a half-hearted attempt by a novice user
2 weeks for an occasional user without a large burden of metabolites in his fat
3 weeks for a heavy user

As so many have said, he likely wouldn't have gotten the concussions playing here instead of playing with Manning.

Well, he had four known concussions playing here. And both Amendola and Edelman have had concussions in the last couple of years.

Hopefully he can get his act together and stop using. It would be nice to see him get healthy and stuff. I am sending out prayers for him and his family. Nonetheless, I hope he gets clean and I wish him nothing but the best.

I applaud your good wishes. Personally, I hope he gets nailed for a second offense and suspended for the year....

The report is that he tested positive for amphetamines not MDMA. The MDMA slant was added as speculation that he took MDMA that was cut with amphetamines.
Of course, your point is equally valid, and there are numerous conflicting stories, but none have said the drug he failed on was MDMA.

Just for clarity. The NFL doesn't report what drug was detected. Any reports about MDMA or amphetamines are coming from sources of unknown reliability (i.e. player agents). For all we really know, Welker tested positive for anabolic steroids.

If the MDMA/amphetamine reports are credible (a big IF), it doesn't really matter. Both are banned substances. The difference is that MDMA falls under the recreational drug policy and you go into the stage one program on first offense, but not suspended until the second offense. The amphetamines fall under the performance enhancing drug policy and you get a first offense suspension. For Welker to argue that taking MDMA would be have OK if it hadn't been unknowingly "cut" with amphetamines is pretty weak sauce. But, his statement did not mention any of that.

Like many NFL players, he perhaps thought he was safe to resume his recreational drug use after taking a break and passing the one recreational drug test given each year before the end of April. He may not have considered the possibility of certain recreational drugs triggering a positive on the performance enhancing drug screen. Just like Blount and the other idiot down in Pittsburgh didn't consider the possibility of getting stopped by the police when smoking a joint in the car....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...wonders-if-someone-spiked-his-drink-at-derby/

"Ya know ... um ... ya know ... Someone, ya know, spiked my drink, ya know, with Adderall ... Yeah ... ya know ... that's what happened ... ya know."

LOL @ this gem comment
You know, thinking back on the Kentucky Derby… Tom Brady was there and we all know about the Patriots history of cheating… I have to wonder if … Nah, couldn’t be. Could it?

I don't know what's funnier: the fact that this clown probably really believes what he posted or the fact that this post has 140 thumbs ups...

"WBSJ in New York says Rex Ryan was quoted as saying “Well good golly Mrs. Molly, I hope Welker’s sorry for what he did and is back playing soon” Rex also said “Welker’s suspension will speed by and he’ll be playing before we know it” and “Welker is a smart guy. He’ll get a lawyer and have the upper hand in this legal mess”

Now that is funny... kudos to whoever posted that.

Well your post called the violation 'squishy'. You also called it 'technical' which implies there is a difference between a true positive violation and a technical one, then went on to suggest that it was done for the league to make sure he wasn't on the field because the Broncos seem to want him to play football.
That sounds to me like you are implying this happened because the league did something it wouldn't otherwise do in order to prevent him from playing for other reasons.
Can you clarify how this is any different than any other failed test? I may be misunderstanding your point.
I wouldn't put much stock in reports on what he tested positive for, when it happened or when his appeal was denied, because there are conflicting reports all over the internet.

Very simply, to answer your question I will repeat my 2nd paragraph:

"No, simply the timing of this seems highly coincidental to keeping Welker off the field for several more weeks. It sounds as if he lost his appeal 2 weeks ago (before the concussion) but nothing was announced until now."

The TIMING. If his appeal was decided to the negative 2 weeks ago (as has been reported), why was the suspension announced THEN? Why the delay until AFTER the concussion?

I'm just asking, not stating.

Missed most of the conversation, but the timing of this suspension seems rather convenient. I wonder how long Goodell's office has been sitting on this information.

(I am glad for Welker's sake that he's getting some time off rather than rushing back from a concussion.)

Exactly. And I can't imagine the NFL execs don't feel the same about the serendipitous timing.

When it happens to your guy, you make excuses and forgive (AH being the exception). When it happens to a guy on another rival team, 2X when the guy use to be on your team, your rejoice and make all kinds of fun about it.

That is the fun of fandom.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember that at all regarding Bolden, Jermaine Cunningham or Brandon Spikes when they were suspended while on the Patriots. In fact, I remember most everyone here coming down exceptionally hard on all of them. Even Rodney Harrison was not "excused". Most everyone here wrote how stupid he was for doing it and how disappointed they were in his judgement (especially how he had it Fedexed to him....)

The report is that he tested positive for amphetamines not MDMA. The MDMA slant was added as speculation that he took MDMA that was cut with amphetamines.
Of course, your point is equally valid, and there are numerous conflicting stories, but none have said the drug he failed on was MDMA.

He probably failed both, and both substances are banned.

Amphetamines, though, are listed as a PED and subject to the "one strike and you're out" policy, whereas MDMA is listed as a recreational drug. One failed test for a a recreational drug does not cause a suspension, the result must be kept confidential, and it makes you subject to future testing but no punishment on the first offense.

Bottom line, nobody can say that he failed a test for MDMA or not, since that would be against the rules agreed to in the CBA. They can say that he failed a test for amphetamines though.

I'm sorry, but I don't remember that at all regarding Bolden, Jermaine Cunningham or Brandon Spikes when they were suspended while on the Patriots. In fact, I remember most everyone here coming down exceptionally hard on all of them. Even Rodney Harrison was not "excused". Most everyone here wrote how stupid he was for doing it and how disappointed they were in his judgement (especially how he had it Fedexed to him....)

I wasnt posting at the time but me and my friends did give Harrison a bit of a pass due to our interpretation that he actually did take HGH for healing purposes.. that and he was so upfront about accepting responsibility for having done so.

Personally, its my opinion that the NFL should allow a doctor to prescribe drugs like HGH if they think its needed/useful while a player is missing games due to injury.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back