PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Wes welker forgiveness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welker was one hell of a receiver but, in the end, here is a GIF of how the two will be remembered by Pats fans...

welker_medium.gif

vs.

julian-edelman-suffers-possible-concussion-super-bowl.gif

First of all my most sincere go **** yourself for making me see that drop again :)

Second of all you nailed the answer. Welker's stats are great - maybe historic - but in the end he couldn't come through when it counted while Jules could. Those two moments will forever separate the two.

both are nothing short of amazing :)

I can't forgive Asante for dropping that easy INT.

I can't forgive Wes for dropping that very catchable pass.

Period.

Not sure how the myth of Asante's dropped INT being "easy" started. It was catchable but it sure as hell wasn't "easy".

in reality the Defense did not entirely **** the bed. Giants made one really big play that frankly involved an awesome throw and excellent execution. A Field Goal would win the game for the Giants so that Pats basically let them score the TD once they were in FG range rather than run the clock. One big pass play made that last drive. The D had been strong the entire second half giving up only two field goals prior to that situation. Welker's drop, yes we would have won if he caught that. Take the Manningham play away, we probably still win, however all they needed was a FG so they still had plenty of time to get into range.

This is the definition of "****ting the bed".

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sports are lyfe brother. LOL at the fruity, little dislike too. What Welker did was definitely unforgiveable for a human being. IMO, that drop is right up there with genocide.

Not sure how the myth of Asante's dropped INT being "easy" started. It was catchable but it sure as hell wasn't "easy".
Meriweather's might have been easier.

It's always debated if it was a bad throw or if Brady was leading him away from the defensive back. The bottom line the catch was harder than people always say, but should have been made in that spot.

EDIT: If Brady put the ball where he did on purpose to protect Welker, he could have provided the same protection by keeping low to the gut or just like a crouching down catch... He would have been just as protected. That is why I think it was just a little bit of an errant pass personally.
The catch would have definitely been a hard one to make but the ball hit him in the hands.
What I see when I watch the play is that Welker was expecting the ball to be on his inside shoulder but went to his outside shoulder. Why? I don't know and he never says, but it's clear from his positioning that he's anticipating the ball on his inside shoulder. He reacts to the path of the ball, but his reaction is too late. Sure, the ball hits his hands, but when it does he's all twisted around and he's in no position to make the catch.

Brady has never gone into great detail about the play to my knowledge. WW was asked the question about where he expected the ball (BSPN: Pats' Welker on dropped pass: I let team down ) but never answered it directly:
When asked if he was expecting the ball to be thrown over his other shoulder, Welker answered, "The ball was right there. I've got to make that play. It's a play I've made a thousand times, and at the biggest moment of my life I don't come up with it."
It seems to me to probably have been a mental error on him, since the right place to throw the ball would have been the outside shoulder, so that's where he should have expected it.

With no tomorrow and the Lombardi on the line, that was a catch he HAD to make.

No one disputes the importance of the play, including WW himself.

We do have to give him credit for being a man and faulting himself for not making the play. Unlike others, he never thew shade at Brady, he faulted himself for not making the play.

IMHO he did screw up his legacy by going to Denver. That was a decision he made with plenty of time to think out the pros and the cons as opposed to a pass in a very difficult game, and IMHO that cost him a lot in terms of his legacy. I think in his mind he was justified in leaving, but to me that was his ego kicking in, and when that happens we don't make our best decisions.

Didn't Wes get clobbered the play before that drop? Dude was likely seeing stars.

Let's just use this thread to learn to forgive and love again, everybody.

What I see when I watch the play is that Welker was expecting the ball to be on his inside shoulder but went to his outside shoulder. Why? I don't know and he never says, but it's clear from his positioning that he's anticipating the ball on his inside shoulder. He reacts to the path of the ball, but his reaction is too late. Sure, the ball hits his hands, but when it does he's all twisted around and he's in no position to make the catch.

Brady has never gone into great detail about the play to my knowledge. WW was asked the question about where he expected the ball (BSPN: Pats' Welker on dropped pass: I let team down ) but never answered it directly:

It seems to me to probably have been a mental error on him, since the right place to throw the ball would have been the outside shoulder, so that's where he should have expected it.

No one disputes the importance of the play, including WW himself.

We do have to give him credit for being a man and faulting himself for not making the play. Unlike others, he never thew shade at Brady, he faulted himself for not making the play.

IMHO he did screw up his legacy by going to Denver. That was a decision he made with plenty of time to think out the pros and the cons as opposed to a pass in a very difficult game, and IMHO that cost him a lot in terms of his legacy. I think in his mind he was justified in leaving, but to me that was his ego kicking in, and when that happens we don't make our best decisions.

That was basically the same play as the 99-yard TD in the Miami game that year, so that is why Wes was expecting the ball inside and upfield. There was an article about it. I'll see if I can find it.

I'll never understand how one play is the reason we lost a game. Tyree catch, Welker drop, Harper muffed punt. I mean COME ON people! You can't blame everything on one freaking play.

Yes he should be respected for what he did while here but no to the Pats HOF.

View attachment 14966
Only reason he wouldn't be in is because we have had so many great players. I think he's certainly deserving but, it may take a while. We aren't even done inducting the dynasty Patriots (on a semi related note I consider there to be basically 3 eras, dynasty 2001-2007, meh era 2008-2009, do your job 2010-current). It may be hard for him to get in without a ring once the do your job era Patriots start retiring.

how is that?

The defense was handed the keys to a lead with 3:46 left and proceeded to surrender an 88 yard drive for a TD. The first play is a 38 yard bomb against a formation designed to not allow the deep pass but Chung was late getting to the sideline which resulted in a completion. It wasn't over from there. The Pats then proceeded to give up completions of 16 yards to Manningham and 14 yards to Nicks among others. They then gave up a 7 yard run to Bradshaw to give the Giants first and goal. And no, they didn't just "decide" to let the Giants score when they crossed the 50. That decision came after a 1 yard run on first and goal with 1:09 left when the Pats called timeout. The defense **** the bed on that drive.

I'll never understand how one play is the reason we lost a game. Tyree catch, Welker drop, Harper muffed punt. I mean COME ON people! You can't blame everything on one freaking play.

I get what you are saying but I don't fully agree with it.

BB (and many other coaches) often stress how a game between two similarly matched teams often comes down to 4-5 plays. And the Welker catch was one of those big moments. While it definitely was not the _only_ moment (e.g. the "safety", Manningham catch) it was the last big play a Patriots player was able to make in this particular game.

I blamed Welker for Superbowl 46 and his drop vs the ravens in the 2012 AFC championship game.

years Later I have moved pats that i wish wes could got a ring he went 0-3 in superbowls.

i think edeleman is a little bit tougher.

but I think wes was the better overall player.

what do you guys think?
How do you figure Wes Welker was better when he failed to make all the clutch plays, especially in the biggest of games, and Edelman has done just the opposite?

In regards to SB XLVI don't forget Brady's safety on the 1st possession that led to a NYG TD drive on the ensuing free kick.

We spotted the Gints a 9-0 lead. To me that was far more costly than a dropped catch. Plus Gronk was a shell in that game. **** Bernard Pollard.

And you can't ignore the freaking play either. It's clear WW himself understood/understands how important that freaking play was.

Welker was one hell of a receiver but, in the end, here is a GIF of how the two will be remembered by Pats fans...

welker_medium.gif

vs.

julian-edelman-suffers-possible-concussion-super-bowl.gif

And therein lies the iconic difference.

In the 2014 Championship season Pats once again struggled with the Jets at Foxboro.
Amendoler as always made an absolute circus catch exceeding Welker's drop in a stretched out horizontally absolute clutch grab at the goal line. No W over the Jets, no HFA. Remember how close the Ravinz game was @ Foxboro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back