PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're fine on the defensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
only if there's any kind of pass rush

There wasn't a pass rush last year and they were fine. Butler is a year better.

Pass rush is critical but these guys are solid.

Last edited:
There wasn't a pass rush last year and they were fine. Butler is a year better.

Pass rush is critical but these guys are solid.

ok.....if you thought they were fine last year, so be it......I thought any decent QB made plays at will against the pats

These threads are starting to get bizarre. "We're set on offense", "secondary", and now "we're fine at D-line". Screw the draft and FA because the Pats don't need it :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
ok.....if you thought they were fine last year, so be it......I thought any decent QB made plays at will against the pats

They were. Look at their numbers. Comp %. INTs per attempts, YAC. They were more than respectable.

The pass rush was brutal. We can all agree on that.

They were. Look at their numbers. Comp %. INTs per attempts, YAC. They were more than respectable.

You're wildly overrating the job the DBs did last season.

I know. I'm still amazed they did so well overall given the lack of a pass rush. Imagine how they will be if opposing QBs have a half second or so less in the pocket this coming year! All we need is a pass rush. Not even sacks. Just a bit more pressure.

In fairness to tanked, Brace could not get on the field and when he was out there, he was not very good (he had moments vs Buffalo, but that was it).

The problem with his argument is that he has completely given up on a 2nd round pick without the kid having an entire year in the system (strength training, conditioning, technique, etc.).

At this point, we can all agree that we don't know what to expect from Brace next year but to label him as a bust is premature. Need to see how he does in year 2 in the system and on the field.
I agree. Not all rookies develop at the same pace. You cannot predict any rookies celing based on his rookie year. We'll just have to see if he has a second year like Givens or Chad Jackson.

Last edited:
You're wildly overrating the job the DBs did last season.

Without a pass rush to speak of, I think you are wildly underrating the job they did.

How so?

They played well against most of the bums, played mediocre against average teams, and got beaten decisively against the good teams. Butler couldn't hold the CB2 spot. Wilhite couldn't hold the CB2 spot. Springs couldn't hold the CB2 spot. Sanders lost his job, and the McGowan lost that job back to Sanders.

It's not as if Belichick's actions were those of someone who thought the DBs were rock solid.

Saints game
Colts game
Texans game
Broncos game, late (Springs won a seat afterwards, as I recall)
Dolphins game, after the first quarter
Ravens postseason game

The team was lucky enough to play a lot of bad offenses last season. This year, based upon an early perusal of the schedule, the team could be facing more potent offense opponents.

bottom part of the league in yards per attempt given up, bottom of the league in 3rd and long, bottom of the league in TD passes given up

a good pass rush is what allows a guy like troy brown to get 3 INT's (2004) and allows a team like the pats to limit manning's colts to 3 points with a rookie UDFA (gay) and a 2nd year 4th round pick (samuel) at the corners.......why? the PASS RUSH which was 3rd in the NFL in sacks.

it all comes down to the pass rush..........nobody does 'fine' without a pass rush....with a good pass rush, corners are almost arbitrary

Last edited:
Wonder if Pryor could play DE?

Flacco completed FOUR passes in the postseason game..you think that's a bad stat?

It would be nice to upgrade on Mike Wright. Problem is that teams can double team Wilfork all game, because no other guy up front commands double teams right now.

It would be nice to upgrade on Mike Wright. Problem is that teams can double team Wilfork all game, because no other guy up front commands double teams right now.

Hopefully Ty can get back to that form.

i think Pryor, could play some DE ty and vince are starters wright is good on 3rd down. he is not a starter. Jared Odrick, at #22 and adding cory redding, would be nice for dept.

Brace was only a rooke last year and he definitly looked the part. Hopefully he takes the arse whoopings he received last season to heart and really works on his game.

As of now, we cannot count on Brace to do anything. He has a long way to go in order to be a productive player for the Patriots...he did not even really flash anything.

neither looked like fools when they stepped onto the field............

warren started 4 games his rookie season......and the pats already had seymour,washington, hamilton, green.......warren did quite well as a rookie, and was a full time starter out of the gate in year 2.

wilfork started 6 games his rookie season even though they had traylor....

brace is more like Marquise Hill (RIP) than anyone else

you're not that bright for not being able to see it

I can see you are as clueless on later history as you are on recent history.

Uhhh no. Warren was considered a disaster who really didn't get it until 2006.

I was at the 2005 game in Pittsburgh. Pre game I listened to a few hours of Wilfork doesn't get/ bust talk.

Face it sport, you are clueless. It's only due to the continual presense of the Douche Irae that you are not laughed off.

I can see you are as clueless on later history as you are on recent history.

Uhhh no. Warren was considered a disaster who really didn't get it until 2006.

I was at the 2005 game in Pittsburgh. Pre game I listened to a few hours of Wilfork doesn't get/ bust talk.

Face it sport, you are clueless. It's only due to the continual presense of the Douche Irae that you are not laughed off.

warren a disaster in 2004 and 2005? do you realize how incredibly stupid you sound? LMFAO

wilfork? he learned to deal with 2 gaps in 2005 when he got moved half a yard of the line of scrimmage......he was a classic 4-3 penetrating DT prior to that......

man, how much more of an idiot could you be?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore