PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We're fine on the defensive line

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are far from 'fine along the DL, but we are pretty close to being 'good enough' if the team does something drastic at LB

Warrens rookie year would have resembled Braces a lot if Ted W didnt break his leg.
Warren made tremendous strides between his 1st and 2nd seasons.

Yes. I seem to remember quite alot of moaning on here about how Warren was a bad pick both immediately after the draft, and after his rookie year, because he didn't have the kind of immediate impact that Seymour had had a couple years earlier (Seymour was starting half-way through his rookie year).

And Warren has worked out very well, obviously.

great rookies?????? how about at least being able to step on the field without being laughed off of it???

where did I say great? I said he wasn't ready to be in the NFL and I was right......there's huge gap from where brace is to where he needs to be........and I simply don't see it......he deserves another year......just like chad jackson......just like marquise hill(RIP)

....or Troy Brown.....or David Givens........

both showed up physically prepared to play in the NFL....brace did not

comparing WR's to NT's is laughable at best

You used Chad Jackson as an example. I never knew he was a NT.

Last edited:
Warren started at NT because Washington was hurt. Brace played when Wilfork was hurt too. Warrens rookie year would have resembled Braces a lot if Ted W didnt break his leg.
Warren made tremendous strides between his 1st and 2nd seasons.

warren played in all 16 games...........

do you really want to compare brace to either warren or wilfork?

pryor played plenty of NT....not sure what you were watching

wright plays NT on passing downs..........and he was very effective at it

brace can't' stop anything....even himself from smacking into the QB on a late hit

The fact that Pryor played some NT does not make him a NT. I highly doubt they considered Pryor as the long-term solution, and he figures to take more reps at DE now that Jarvis appears to be out the door.

So you basically confirmed my point that Wright plays NT on passing downs and cannot stop the run. Therefore, should Wilfork ever get injured for an extended period of time, it stands to reason that Wright would not be an ideal full-time backup candidate.

I'm glad you're willing to throw in the towel on Brace after one season. I wonder if you were this dismissive of Meriweather after his rookie campaign?

So you want to cut him now? Is that right?

No but you can't count on him to give you quality production either.

This year he seemed like a big strong gap shooter, not a player that uses his hands to control the o lineman.

This year he seemed like a big strong gap shooter, not a player that uses his hands to control the o lineman.

From what I could see, what he really was, was just lost. A guy that relied on overwhelmign physical size to dominate in college who lost that edge and didn't have good enough technique to fall back on.

I can't count on him for ranything. By the time we get to training camp, however, the coaches will know if he was putting in the hours in teh weight room and the film room. Talking with the assistant coaches about technique issues. Spending the effort necessary to make that big leap that we all talk about.

At that point, they will have a better idea of what they have, and what they're going to have, in 2010 than anyone on here. Then during TC and durign the preseason they can evaluate whether any of that translates to the field.

But yes. Here on March 9th, who the hell knows.

In fairness to tanked, Brace could not get on the field and when he was out there, he was not very good (he had moments vs Buffalo, but that was it).

The problem with his argument is that he has completely given up on a 2nd round pick without the kid having an entire year in the system (strength training, conditioning, technique, etc.).

At this point, we can all agree that we don't know what to expect from Brace next year but to label him as a bust is premature. Need to see how he does in year 2 in the system and on the field.

In fairness to tanked, Brace could not get on the field and when he was out there, he was not very good (he had moments vs Buffalo, but that was it).

The problem with his argument is that he has completely given up on a 2nd round pick without the kid having an entire year in the system (strength training, conditioning, technique, etc.).

At this point, we can all agree that we don't know what to expect from Brace next year but to label him as a bust is premature. Need to see how he does in year 2 in the system and on the field.

I haven't given up on him, but to me, its as simple as if the OTA's don't do much for him, and he shows up as fat and as slow, there's no place for him here....its not like you can count on him for anything else like special teams....the other problem is that the pats already have pryor and wright, and 98% of the time, one of those 2 is who they need to spell wilfork (passing downs mostly)

its not like he showed anything at all.......even against the bills, when hangartner got his hands on brace, he could push him around....brace could not even hold his ground........its the nature of the position......you can be fat and be an animal and that works, but if you get to the NFL and you're as fat and as slow as brace is, WYSIWYG.......

and to even breathe the notion the 'well, warren and wilfork.........BOOM' is about as silly as it gets......I see more similarity with marquise hill(RIP) who was slow as molasses and could never learn how to generate even a bit of leverage

as for labeling him a bust being premature.....maybe, but once in a while, you just see it written all over someone....like the first series from scrimmage when the pats got monty biesel........it was like you knew he could never work

Last edited:
Mike Wright is a nickel 3-4 end who has the ability to fill in at NT. We don't need Jarvis Green because we have Mike Wright. One way to imptove the pass rush would be to draft an athletic 3-4 end that can 2-gap and penetrate if needed. On 3rd and 5 you don't want the opponents to audible to run at Wright. They then have a 1st down or 4th and 1. With a dominant group like Warren, Wilfork and Seymour teams wouldn't do that very often. Make teams throw on those downs and the pass rush and defense as a whole would look much better. We do need one really good lineman for 3-4 end and a rush LB.

Brace is a back up learning to play nose. Hopefully he can play a little end, or tackle in the 4-3 or goal line packages.

If he develops and we get somebody else to back up, he could be trade bait, good NTs are always in demand. Why worry about a backup with Vince signed? The guys massive and has the opportunity to learn without pressure.

Some folks only get excited about WR's, QB's, RB's and CB's in the first round.

Most of us were very happy when we drafted Seymour, Warren and Wilfork. For Belichick, and many of us, the first round is where you get top defensive linemen.

While I certainly would be tempted by Spiller, I expect us to draft a defensive lineman in the first round.

Yes. I seem to remember quite alot of moaning on here about how Warren was a bad pick both immediately after the draft, and after his rookie year, because he didn't have the kind of immediate impact that Seymour had had a couple years earlier (Seymour was starting half-way through his rookie year).

And Warren has worked out very well, obviously.

If brace is so ****ty after one season, why isn't Eugene Wilson in the HOF? I mean he had two great years and than nothing.

Sorry, but labeling a player anything after their rookie season makes you look like a fool.

Some folks only get excited about WR's, QB's, RB's and CB's in the first round.

Most of us were very happy when we drafted Seymour, Warren and Wilfork. For Belichick, and many of us, the first round is where you get top defensive linemen.

While I certainly would be tempted by Spiller, I expect us to draft a defensive lineman in the first round.

IF there was equal talent at every position when we drafted this year, I would expect we would draft in this order:
OLB
CB
DE
WR
TE
ILB
OLB
OL
RB

IF there was equal talent at every position when we drafted this year, I would expect we would draft in this order:
OLB
CB
DE
WR
TE
ILB
OLB
OL
RB

CB over DE?

Bodden and Butler will be fine next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back