PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Well it looks like the Colts cap management...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought they would have more trouble adapting to the loss of David Thornton and Larry Tripplett and they did. Losing those guys were big contributors in them having one of the worst regular season defenses in NFL history. They were just lucky that Booger McFarland was available for a trade during the season; Bob Sanders finally got healthy for the playoffs; they were able to pull together their defense; and they got to face Trent Green (why Edwards didn't pull him for a hot hand in Huard after he sucked for weeks since he was back I will never know) and quickly aging Steve McNair, a tired and depleted Patriots, and Rex Gorssman.

I felt last year's Colts were clearly worse than the 2004 version. They were the team that was on fire going into the playoffs last year. The Steelers in 2005 probably weren't the best team in the league either, but they were clicking at the right time in the playoffs. Both teams were lucky enough to have their bad games in the playoffs when the other team was playing worse.

I feel that defense is what hurt the Colts during the regular season last year and it is worse now. Polian is brilliant at pulling together an offensive team, but except for 2005 the Colts have never had even an average defense.

You make excellent points regarding the teams the Colts faced on the way to the superbowl. The Cheifs were terrible, the Pats were exhausted from the Chargers game/flu, and any team that can't score more than 15 points on the Colts defense (Ravens offense) deserves to lose. But the reason why I think the Colts will be okay is becaue they play in an easy division which gives them the best chance of getting home field through out the playoffs. Also, the Colts scheme consists of their players with marginal talent looking good because they sit in a zone and wait for the ball or opponent to come towards them to make the tackle. The Colts defense is clearly not talented enough to defend offensive opponents one on one and that is why the organization feels they can replace any player that leaves.

You make excellent points regarding the teams the Colts faced on the way to the superbowl. The Cheifs were terrible, the Pats were exhausted from the Chargers game/flu, and any team that can't score more than 15 points on the Colts defense (Ravens offense) deserves to lose. But the reason why I think the Colts will be okay is becaue they play in an easy division which gives them the best chance of getting home field through out the playoffs. Also, the Colts scheme consists of their players with marginal talent looking good because they sit in a zone and wait for the ball or opponent to come towards them to make the tackle. The Colts defense is clearly not talented enough to defend offensive opponents one on one and that is why the organization feels they can replace any player that leaves.
LOL, IIRC, the AFC South SPLIT with the AFC East last season.

Had the Colts' defenders waited for players to "come to them", they'd never muster a 3 and out. Better fit Maroney with a flak jacket, the hitman just might "sublux" him for good. :)

LOL, IIRC, the AFC South SPLIT with the AFC East last season.

Had the Colts' defenders waited for players to "come to them", they'd never muster a 3 and out. Better fit Maroney with a flak jacket, the hitman just might "sublux" him for good. :)

Who is the hitman? You talking about Bob Sanders? Vegas odds are already 2-1 that he will be an injury scratch for that game. The word is the smart money is betting on him to be out. Bob Sanders is almost guaranteed to miss at least four games a season. He is a small guy who plays big and his body can't handle the abuse. An All Pro when he is on the field, but can't stay on the field.

Who is the hitman? You talking about Bob Sanders? Vegas odds are already 2-1 that he will be an injury scratch for that game. The word is the smart money is betting on him to be out. Bob Sanders is almost guaranteed to miss at least four games a season. He is a small guy who plays big and his body can't handle the abuse. An All Pro when he is on the field, but can't stay on the field.
I think he's gonna sit out until that fateful November day:p

I don't know. I think the AFC South could end up being tougher than the AFC East. Both the Jags and Titans are a few moves away from being legitimate playoff/division contenders. The Jags were really banged up down the stretch with several key players on IR. The Titans followed up a miserable start of the season with one of the longest winning streaks in the NFL towards the end of the season. Both could potentially contend for the AFC South title. I wouldn't be printing up the Colts 2008 AFC South Title T-shirts and hats just yet.

As for their defense, the Colts use the same Tampa 2 that Dungy used in Tampa with a few minor alterations. The Tampa 2 is predicated on the safeties to play deep to keep things in front of them and the defense being small and fast. I don't think talent has anything to do with it. Considering other than 2005, the Colts have usually won a majority of their games in a shootout and their offense makes the other team's offense one dimensional because they play keep up; I don't think the system makes their marginal talent look good.

If Manning and company can consistently put up 30 plus points a game, their defense won't be that big of an issue. If they can't their defense will be exposed especially against the run like it did last year.

I would agree losing Harper will hurt but anyone that watched the Colts could tell you. Mike Doss was the primary reason the Colts lost to the Steelers in the 2006 playoffs. I like the kid Tim Jennings. He was the fastest cb in the 2006 draft , he was drafted in the second round because of his height. He'll have ever opportuntiy to prove his worth. With the Colts pass rush. a cb only needs to be good not great.

The Colts went into the off season perpared to lose Cato June. Freddy Keiaho and Tyjuan Haglar have earned thr right to compete for a starters job.It will be interestig to see how it comes together. I like the way the roster is looking. If the Colts draft Buster Davis or Rufus Alexander. Ill like it more.

For this year, at least, they've earned the respect because they got it done. Let's not sound like our opponents in years past with the "they didn't deserve it" baloney.

They certainly slapped together one of the worst run defenses I've seen and performed when it counted.

That's what you have to do in the salary cap era. Props to Dungy and Polian.

Yeah, but you lost like 4-6 starters/solid contributors. You can't rely on more than a couple second day picks to pan out. If you two or three players who are solid contributors/starters right away in any given draft; you had a great draft in today's NFL.

Despite the Super Bowl win, I feel the Colts were a worse team last year than the year before. Last season unlike many other seasons, they got better in the playoffs rather than trailing off. But overall, the Colts were significantly weaker especially on defense. I think this year they are even weaker yet again.

You can't lose 4-6 starters/solid contributors and then expect to replace them in one draft. The Colts might, but there are no guarantees.

Still early, but so far, I think the Colts are well on their way to a very nice draft. Gonzalez is flat out a starter. Ugoh seems like a boom/bust prop, but if you take a look at some of his stats at Arkansas, pretty impressive. Hopefully, he'll pan out and be groomed to replace Tarik, but I won't bank on it. Hughes is (IMO) an excellent value pick. Speed is an issue, but I am not certain he is any slower than Harper or David. This guy was a second rounder. Pit**** adds some depth to the D-line. IMO, ALL these guys will contribute next year. Now, an LB and a safety or corner should do us just fine tomorrow. BTW, someone mentioned Zabransky. I think he has a ton of upside, and anyone should be happy to have him on their team. I hope he's around at number 173. Anyway, Pats had their fanfare in FA. Now the Colts have four new outstanding prospects to the Pats 1. Not trolling, just rebutting the "sky is falling on the Colts" mantra.

Still early, but so far, I think the Colts are well on their way to a very nice draft. Gonzalez is flat out a starter. Ugoh seems like a boom/bust prop, but if you take a look at some of his stats at Arkansas, pretty impressive. Hopefully, he'll pan out and be groomed to replace Tarik, but I won't bank on it. Hughes is (IMO) an excellent value pick. Speed is an issue, but I am not certain he is any slower than Harper or David. This guy was a second rounder. Pit**** adds some depth to the D-line. IMO, ALL these guys will contribute next year. Now, an LB and a safety or corner should do us just fine tomorrow. BTW, someone mentioned Zabransky. I think he has a ton of upside, and anyone should be happy to have him on their team. I hope he's around at number 173. Anyway, Pats had their fanfare in FA. Now the Colts have four new outstanding prospects to the Pats 1. Not trolling, just rebutting the "sky is falling on the Colts" mantra.
Well, losing top players is part of winning superbowls, no one knows that better than Pats fans. And we also know that losing players does not mean you are going downhill. We know as well as anyone that you can replace players who leave.

All that said, you haven't rebutted anything. For one thing, you are replacing the players who are leavig. Not yet, anyway. I like Hughes, and think that in 2008 he will be a good replacement for Harper. It is a bit much to expect him to be a quality starter right out of the box.

For the last two months all I heard was that you would reload your decimated defense in the draft, and also that you didn't need Rhodes because you can replace him in the draft. Instead you draft a WR in the first round (like WR is a need of yours), then draft a tackle when you already have two starting tackles that didn't leave, and a DT that will be a decent backup, but you better hope you don't need him to start.

The Colts can survive, but you better do better on day two before you think you have rebutted any talk the teh Colts are not as good as last year.

You better get yourself some DBs.

Well, losing top players is part of winning superbowls, no one knows that better than Pats fans. And we also know that losing players does not mean you are going downhill. We know as well as anyone that you can replace players who leave.

All that said, you haven't rebutted anything. For one thing, you are replacing the players who are leavig. Not yet, anyway. I like Hughes, and think that in 2008 he will be a good replacement for Harper. It is a bit much to expect him to be a quality starter right out of the box.

For the last two months all I heard was that you would reload your decimated defense in the draft, and also that you didn't need Rhodes because you can replace him in the draft. Instead you draft a WR in the first round (like WR is a need of yours), then draft a tackle when you already have two starting tackles that didn't leave, and a DT that will be a decent backup, but you better hope you don't need him to start.

The Colts can survive, but you better do better on day two before you think you have rebutted any talk the teh Colts are not as good as last year.

You better get yourself some DBs.

Stokely out, Gonzalez in (if youlike Welker, then you gotta like this guy)
Reagor out, Pit**** in
Hughes will NOT replace Harper or David, because those guys are already on the roster (Hayden and Jackson)
Yes, we need some LB's, and tomorrow is the day. Pats passed on Paul P from Penn State, and I assume you might say BB knows what he is doing. Yet the Colts pass, and it's a bad move?
My point was (as stated days ago), Colts started with a 1,3,3,4,4,4,5,5. AMPLE opportunity to get a great start at adding depth. IMO, they did just that.
Four picks today, four excellent prospects.

Last edited:
I don't know. I think the AFC South could end up being tougher than the AFC East. Both the Jags and Titans are a few moves away from being legitimate playoff/division contenders. The Jags were really banged up down the stretch with several key players on IR. The Titans followed up a miserable start of the season with one of the longest winning streaks in the NFL towards the end of the season. Both could potentially contend for the AFC South title. I wouldn't be printing up the Colts 2008 AFC South Title T-shirts and hats just yet.

As for their defense, the Colts use the same Tampa 2 that Dungy used in Tampa with a few minor alterations. The Tampa 2 is predicated on the safeties to play deep to keep things in front of them and the defense being small and fast. I don't think talent has anything to do with it. Considering other than 2005, the Colts have usually won a majority of their games in a shootout and their offense makes the other team's offense one dimensional because they play keep up; I don't think the system makes their marginal talent look good.

If Manning and company can consistently put up 30 plus points a game, their defense won't be that big of an issue. If they can't their defense will be exposed especially against the run like it did last year.

i agree the AFC south is better the Titans will be better and the jags will be good in the east its only the jets the bills will have the frist pick in the draft next yer and miami the number 2 pick but the colts will be right there with us next yer AFC champ game

Polian doesn't just wake up on draft day and say, oh ****,
He will next year, when he realizes he has no first round pick, and the Pats have 2. :D

Seriously, I like the Hughes and Coe picks. If not this year, then next year they should be decent starters. But basically you didn't re-load very well. You better hope Addai doesn't get hurt. If he does, or you have problems at DB, that first round pick you gave away will be very valuable to the 49ers.

Going WR in round one was pretty stupid, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes