PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker says that he is "way ahead of schedule"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I won't get excited about anything until we see him practicing, medical science does support that if he does rehab at the fastest possible recovery time for a WR that he could be available for the start of the season. I did see medical journals that studied NFL WRs and RBs that said that there are cases of players returning from ACL surgeries to near 100% in seven months (but that was the best case scenario). And those medical journal articles were based on injuries that occured five years ago and earlier (there is no recent studies since most studies like this take several years to publish). So medicial science could have sped up the recovery a bit in the last five years.

Again, I won't be hedging any bets on this report that Welker could be ready for the start of the season, but contrary to the media people who think he is done for his career (yah, I mean you Gerry Callahan) it isn't out of the realm of possibility that he is in the starting line up against Cincy. It isn't a great bet, but not a certainty that it won't happen either.

Last edited:
Also, look at his numbers... after the injury he goes from averaging about 400 yards a season rushing to about 200. But his completion % goes up, as does his YPA. His Passer Rating goes up 10%. He got better, but it's because he developed as a pocket passer.
All running QB do that as they get older. McNabb's knee wasn't as issue, he's just as effective as ever. Go and look at Elway's stats, you'll see the same thing. Keep running as a QB and you won't be a QB long.

Welker is that kind of guy alright but with these type of injuries, even the very best and most determined don't make it back quickly sometimes.

Even if everything goes well medically, the real test comes when he gets on a field again and has to make a cut. I've seen guys come all that way and then when they get on the field and try to make a cut they just can't do it, a lot of the time its because they just are afraid its not fully healed and don't want to take a chance even though they've been cleared. With others they have it in their head that they felt something.

I really hope he makes it back and the sooner the better but regardless of how far ahead of schedule he may be, it doesn't matter one bit until he gets on a field and tries to put pressure on that knee, that last bit can take anywhere from the very first time to never happening for a guy.

Welker is likely to be on the end of the spectrum of guys who recover from the psychological aspect quickly.

Welker is likely to be on the end of the spectrum of guys who recover from the psychological aspect quickly.

That is something you won't know until the time comes.

I'm telling you I've seen guys with that unstoppable attitude just crumble when it comes to putting pressure on their knee. Even Wes Welker has no clue at this stage how he will react when that time comes.

That is something you won't know until the time comes.

It's something that I can say I "know" now based on his psychological demeanor. He is -likely- to get over the mental hump quicker than most after he is cleared to return to full activities.

I'm telling you I've seen guys with that unstoppable attitude just crumble when it comes to putting pressure on their knee. Even Wes Welker has no clue at this stage how he will react when that time comes.

That's understandable, but what you've seen really doesn't pertain to Wes Welker. Obviously no one -knows-, and I don't think anyone is EXPECTING him to be 100% week 1 or even week 6.

As gay as this fanboy stuff can be, I was in LAX today. I saw a stocky, ripped up kid that looked like Welker. I walked by, muttered "Sweet 83 impression, dude". He replied, "I am 83". I offered to buy him a beer in a super casual way. He declined, I told him I respected his game, and hoped he finally could get paid like an outside guy. He laughed, thanked me, we talked some ball in passing, and I intentionally avoided the injury discussion. But, yes, I can confirm that he was in LAX.

The Pats are likely to be conservative with Welker. Don't see him coming off PUP until the sixth week, after the bye week, at the earliest.

Oh come on guys. Well all know Welker's YAC average is ridiculous. Should we really be surprised his YAI average is above the norm?

As gay as this fanboy stuff can be, I was in LAX today. I saw a stocky, ripped up kid that looked like Welker. I walked by, muttered "Sweet 83 impression, dude". He replied, "I am 83".
Now THAT is funny (in a cool way).

As gay as this fanboy stuff can be, I was in LAX today. I saw a stocky, ripped up kid that looked like Welker. I walked by, muttered "Sweet 83 impression, dude". He replied, "I am 83".

So how hard did your jaw hit when it fell to the floor after he told you that? :D

As gay as this fanboy stuff can be, I was in LAX today. I saw a stocky, ripped up kid that looked like Welker. I walked by, muttered "Sweet 83 impression, dude". He replied, "I am 83". I offered to buy him a beer in a super casual way. He declined, I told him I respected his game, and hoped he finally could get paid like an outside guy. He laughed, thanked me, we talked some ball in passing, and I intentionally avoided the injury discussion. But, yes, I can confirm that he was in LAX.

That is a great story. And you demonstrated excellent restraint. If it was me, WWW would be in my trunk by now.

It's something that I can say I "know" now based on his psychological demeanor. He is -likely- to get over the mental hump quicker than most after he is cleared to return to full activities.
Well from experience of dealing with people that have had similar injuries there is no way to know.

I've seen guys that would walk through hell if you asked them to, but when it came to putting pressure on the knee they just couldn't do it. I've seen guys that weren't ever too pushed or hungry and they came back and it didn't bother them.

Everything you know about somebody's makeup goes out the window in this particular situation.

Last edited:
So how hard did your jaw hit when it fell to the floor after he told you that? :D
I would be concerned for another part of my body being hard if 83 were about... not that there's anything wrong with that right? :p

That is a great story. And you demonstrated excellent restraint. If it was me, WWW would be in my trunk by now.

Why?

What would you do with him?

first I'd take him to Cyberdyne Systems Corporation and have his skeleton replaced with a titanium chassis, to wit a human cyborg, possessing a human heart and brain with a metallic endoskeleton and skin.

next, I'd unleash the Wes T-1000 on an unsuspecting AFC East...

the rest you can catch for $14.95 a showing at Jokercase Cinemas....

Great addition to the thread. My source is legit, trust me (or don't....and move along to the awesome "Jets suck" thread). I'm not saying that Wes isn't still going to end up on the PUP list. I wouldn't rule him out, however, for an early than expected return.

While the parenthetical assurance of the OP's friend's reliability did feel a bit squirrely, why would he be making this up? I would think that a fabricated story about meeting WW on an airplane would a) be in the first person (i.e. "I met Welker...") and b) would include some more spectacular elements like "he let me have his second bag of preztels" or "he signed my American Airlines napkin" or "he gave me his phone number so we can meet up and chill sometime" or "we played Magic: The Gathering during the whole flight"...

The magic the gathering bit here is priceless.

Jeez... let's hope you don't bump into TFB...:violent:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore