PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker says that he is "way ahead of schedule"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell I wouldn't put it past Welker dudes a freak

+10, he's a tough little BEAST. Knowing Wes as we do (or wish we did ;)) barring any unforseen complications there's no reason not to think he's ahead of schedule, maybe even ready to go on day 1.

What BB decides to do with him is another story, probably a story that'll depend on his roster needs at least to some degree.

I believe in The W but I also believe BB's going to use the situation to his best advantage not just right out of the gate but longterm as well.

129119735628191499.jpg

Medically it depends on how bad the tear was

SpringerLink - Journal Article

With accelerated rehab you can be physically right in 6 months, its just when you want to take contact. 9 months is actually quite a long recovery time and as has been said, WW strikes you as the sort of guy who wont lt it get into his head

I think they ease him back in and we see him starting by weeks 5-7

As gay as this fanboy stuff can be, I was in LAX today. I saw a stocky, ripped up kid that looked like Welker. I walked by, muttered "Sweet 83 impression, dude". He replied, "I am 83". I offered to buy him a beer in a super casual way. He declined, I told him I respected his game, and hoped he finally could get paid like an outside guy. He laughed, thanked me, we talked some ball in passing, and I intentionally avoided the injury discussion. But, yes, I can confirm that he was in LAX.

Can you send me a friend request so I can say I'm "friends" with somebody that talked to Wes Welker?!?!?! :singing: TIA!! :D

ETA: Very cool the way you handled it. I like to think I'd be the same if I met one of our boys, particularly someone like WW. Truth is I'd probably stutter at best and possibly just faint or something.

Last edited:
I'm going to be laughing (in the nicest way possible) at all you doubters on Week 1. I've said all along I expect him to play Week 1 and it seems more likely than ever now. I know it's natural to protect yourself from disappointment by being negative but it's OK, really, to admit that WR can make it back in this time (Braylon Edwards did) and if anyone can, Welker will.

sorry, but its completely idiotic to think he will be back for week 1. He relies on his knees for making cuts, no way he is ready by then. His knee would give out if he was back that early.

sorry, but its completely idiotic to think he will be back for week 1. He relies on his knees for making cuts, no way he is ready by then. His knee would give out if he was back that early.

This post is actually a lot more idiotic than the hope of Welker being back week 1.

Last edited:
Personally, I hope he is PUP'd. First off, I don't think he will be fully ready to by week 1, no matter how ahead of schedule he may or may not be. Second off (and I have the feeling some people will jump on me for saying this), I'd actually like to have Brady go a few weeks without his security blanket so he learns how to use some of the other receiving weapons we've added.

It's optimistic. It's not idiotic nor unrealistic.

It is idiotic to say it can't happen or to say a factual statement like "his would would give out if he were back that early". That is factually wrong. He may not be himself, he may not have build up the muscles around the rebuilt knee but his knee almost certainly wouldn't give out and it's crazy to say, as a statement of fact, that it would.

No disrespect, but this is as dubious a source as they get.

Why do you say that?

I actually have a friend who knows a guy who knows a transvestite he met on a bus in Minneapolis who was in a Starbucks in LA next to old woman who was the great aunt of a playboy bunny from the LA Playboy mansion and he heard her talking to the Barista who was frapping up her venti, non-fat, low-sodium, gluten-free carmel macchiato mocha latte and he distinctly heard her say that she heard her great niece telling her friend from college that Wes Welker's bone was in great shape!

He WILL be there opening day...hard and ready to play...you watch!

Personally, I hope he is PUP'd. First off, I don't think he will be fully ready to by week 1, no matter how ahead of schedule he may or may not be. Second off (and I have the feeling some people will jump on me for saying this), I'd actually like to have Brady go a few weeks without his security blanket so he learns how to use some of the other receiving weapons we've added.
I hope he isn't PUPed even if he isn't ready. If you're on the PUP you can't practice, officially anyway, with the team until Week 7. I'd give up a roster spot to have him on the 53 and able to practice. Hopefully Week 6, the week after the bye, is the latest we'll see him return.

I'll start it off. Brady is the best QB to ever play the game and is a much better judge of who to pass it to and when than any of us couch warmers. To suggest that he needs something to happen to re-learn something that is by and large a product of circumstance is IMO disrespectful to all that Brady is.

Spreading it out to the likes of Aiken when you have Moss/Welker would have been the worst thing to do last year. Anyway, this fallacy of "he was good because he spread it out" really has to stop. He spread it out because he IS so great as to recognize the best opportunities. And a somewhat covered Moss/Welker is better than a somewhat open Aiken (even though Aiken really was never open).

Brady has not, and probably will never, refuse to throw it to an open guy with solid hands. He is not ignoring open receivers trying to force it to Welker/Moss as others here have accused him of. He's making calculated decisions to give his team the best chance to win. He won't always make the right decision and he won't always make the right throw but he sure as hell doesn't need talent taken AWAY from the receiving corps to "improve".

And to finish off I will remind you that the passing offense has never performed better when Brady was throwing to multiple lesser-talent receivers than to fewer high-talent receivers. (07 and 09 are the best offensive statistical years of a Brady-led offense, not the team-won championship years of 03-04).

Last edited:
I'm going to be laughing (in the nicest way possible) at all you doubters on Week 1. I've said all along I expect him to play Week 1 and it seems more likely than ever now. I know it's natural to protect yourself from disappointment by being negative but it's OK, really, to admit that WR can make it back in this time (Braylon Edwards did) and if anyone can, Welker will.

Honestly i just came back from one... no chance he makes his living off being shifty and quick twitch you don't get that back in such a short amount of time doesn't matter who your surgeon is the ligament and surrounding muscle needs time to heal

Torn ACL Success Stories - Bleeding Green Nation

Torn ACL Success Stories

1. RB Jamal Lewis: Torn ACL in 2001 (Aug). Bounced back in 2002 to rush for 1327 yards with a 4.3 avg. Then in 2003 rushed for 2066 yards with a 5.3 avg.

2. WR Jerry Rice: Torn ACL in 1997. Returned in 1998 and had 82 receptions for 1157 yards at 34 years old. Had two more 1100+ yard seasons in 2001 and 2002.

3. ILB Nick Barnett: Torn ACL in 2008 (wk10). Came back in 2009 and racked up 105 tackles, 4 sacks, and 7 passes defended.

4. QB Tom Brady: Torn ACL in 2008. Returned in 2009 and passed for 4398 yards with a 65.7 comp pct and 7.8 avg.

5. SS Roman Harper: Torn ACL rookie year in 2006 (wk5). Rebounded following year in 2007 with 90 tackles, 4 sacks, 8 passes defended and 3 INT. Just recently had 102 tackles in 2009.

6. RB Edgerrin James: Torn ACL in 2001 (wk6). Following year in 2002, rushed for 989 in 14 games. In 2003, rushed for 1289 yards, then had back to back 1500+ yard seasons in '04 and '05.

7. WR Braylon Edwards: Torn ACL rookie year in 2005 (wk13). Solid year in 2006 with 61 catches and 884 yards. Pro bowler in 2007 with 80 catches for 1289 yards.
2006 wk1 2/23, wk2 4/110 wk3 5/116 wk4 6/75

8. RB Willis Mcgahee: Torn ACL in the bowl game before being drafted. Missed entire rookie season in 2003 and bounced back next season with 1128 yards rushing with a 4.0 ypc.

9. RB Frank Gore: Tore his left ACL in 2001 while in college. Rehabbed all of 2002, returned in 2003 only to tear his right ACL. Returned following year after switching jersey numbers and rushed for 1000+ yards in his last college year. In his rookie year in 2005, as a part timer, rushed for 608 yards with a 4.8 ypc. Following year in 2006, rushed for 1695 yards with a 5.4 ypc.

10. QB Donovan Mcnabb: Torn ACL in Week 11 of 2006 season. Returned following season and in 14 games passed for 3324 yards, 61.5 comp. pct and 7.0 avg.

*Honorable Mention: RB Correll Buckhalter: Two torn ACLs in his career. Recently rushed for 642 yards with a 5.4 average in 7 starts with Denver.

Last edited:
You fly coach or first class?

Wes ain't sitting in the back with the cattle,thats for sure :cool:

Coach to Welker is the same size seat as an average sized American male in first class. That is in proportion.

Brady was (allegedly) set back by his knee infection, Tedy will *never* play in the NFL again after his stroke... :rolleyes:
NONE of this means Welker will be back game 1, 5, or 16 for that matter. Most people saying he probably won't be back anytime soon or as good have as much insight as the people who say he'll be back game 1- only to shoot the "homer" down for not having any facts about Wes' injury.

Hello, Kettle? It's Pot. You're black. :p

Last edited:
No wonder many celebrities don't talk to strangers in restaurants or on planes (their friends and staff know not to discuss anything "real" with them where they might be overheard).

Not only is there a chance that his/her smiling, friendly seat-mate has his PDA on "Record" but that someone will overhear a snippet of conversation, most likely out of context, and have it spread it all over the internet.

We only have ourselves to blame that those whom we admire in the sports or entertainment worlds are reluctant to speak to us or only talk in the most guarded of terms if they do engage us.

I'm as optimistic about Welker's return as anyone (maybe a tad less than BF, but close), but this sounds to me just like part of the mental recovery process. He may be ahead of schedule, he may not, but it's important for him to believe he's making serious progress and will be 100% by training camp. If he doesn't think he's 100%, he's not going to move and react with any confidence in that knee.

No wonder many celebrities don't talk to strangers in restaurants or on planes (their friends and staff know not to discuss anything "real" with them where they might be overheard).

Not only is there a chance that his/her smiling, friendly seat-mate has his PDA on "Record" but that someone will overhear a snippet of conversation, most likely out of context, and have it spread it all over the internet.

We only have ourselves to blame that those whom we admire in the sports or entertainment worlds are reluctant to speak to us or only talk in the most guarded of terms if they do engage us.

Even if nothing gets said by a sports or entertainment personality, something will get made up anyway. I'm not saying this story/thread is this, just addressing your point.

Maybe Wes just got some good news on his injury and he's just pumped up, ready to get back on the field. If anyone here has had serious health issues- you can attest that it feels great to hear good news, especially when you aren't necessarily expecting it. Sometimes it's hard to keep that enthusiasm in. (Disclaimer: An ACL/MCL isn't life threatening, but professionally it's a serious issue. So no, I'm not comparing it to heart attacks, stroke, cancer, etc..)

Really, who knows? We'll have a slightly better idea of how things are when it's late August and Wes has been on the field 4 weeks already, or hasn't been seen on the practice field at all. One thing I think we can all guess about Wes- he WILL be out there the second he thinks he can do it. The man just keeps his focus and gets it done every time. :rocker:

Even if nothing gets said by a sports or entertainment personality, something will get made up anyway. I'm not saying this story/thread is this, just addressing your point.

Maybe Wes just got some good news on his injury and he's just pumped up, ready to get back on the field. If anyone here has had serious health issues- you can attest that it feels great to hear good news, especially when you aren't necessarily expecting it. Sometimes it's hard to keep that enthusiasm in. (Disclaimer: An ACL/MCL isn't life threatening, but professionally it's a serious issue. So no, I'm not comparing it to heart attacks, stroke, cancer, etc..)

Really, who knows? We'll have a slightly better idea of how things are when it's late August and Wes has been on the field 4 weeks already, or hasn't been seen on the practice field at all. One thing I think we can all guess about Wes- he WILL be out there the second he thinks he can do it. The man just keeps his focus and gets it done every time. :rocker:

I think we're in general agreement, certainly on Wes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
Back