PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker says that he is "way ahead of schedule"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell I wouldn't put it past Welker dudes a freak

I cannot even imagine sitting next to WWW for a 6 hour flight. I'd get tasered for sure.

I cannot even imagine sitting next to WWW for a 6 hour flight. I'd get tasered for sure.

You fly coach or first class?

Wes ain't sitting in the back with the cattle,thats for sure :cool:

What about the fact that Welker's bread and butter is his ability to make quick and sharp cuts which place far more stress on the knees than receivers who run different routes?

Could you provide us with the specifics of what parts of the knee get stressed more and why for someone who makes quick cuts? Also could you tell us how the repaired ligaments in the knee will be at risk and what factors will put them more at risk than if he had not torn his ACL?

I have no medical background and no real factual basis, but I've believed all along that Welker would recover ahead of schedule. Probably just because he appears to be the kind of guy who wont let the injury beat him.
I'm not predicting anything, because its really just an unsupported WAG but I expect him to be on the 53, and playing very early on.

Hey did you guys hear about Tom Brady's staph infection - he's going to be set back 6 months.

(No offense to the OP because I hope it's true, but reading the tea leaves in May is like, well, reading the tea leaves in May.)

Not trying to be a downer but I think expecting Welker to be a factor next year is unrealistic. I have doubts as to whether he will ever be the same receiver, let alone next year, looking at guys like McNabb. That being said, I like the moves the Pats have made with the TEs to alleviate some of the responsibility, both on the ground and as targets to move the sticks.

Not trying to be a downer but I think expecting Welker to be a factor next year is unrealistic. I have doubts as to whether he will ever be the same receiver, let alone next year, looking at guys like McNabb.
McNabb has been as good after surgery as before :

Donovan McNabb Stats - Washington Redskins - ESPN

So was Palmer, he started downhill after the team around him disintegrated.

If anything, McNabb has been remarkably consistent with his only QB ratings below 80 being before he got hurt and 3 of his 4 of 90+ (I counted 89.9) before after the ACL surgery.

I won't be surprised if Wes is ready Week 1 near 100%.

McNabb has been as good statistically, but he altered his game after his injury. He can still scramble, but it's more based on power and size than quickness. A lot of his scrambles now come from him breaking ankle tackles rather than him going out and getting the edge. Welker's bread and butter is his quickness. He can't adapt like a QB can adapt, he doesn't have the size.

I am glad that there seems to be progress AHEAD of schedule BUT I think it's incredibly optimistic to count him already on the 53 and NOT starting on PUP. I think ALL Patriot fans would be happy if that happened, but I tend to think the chances of that are slim at least at this point. Optimism is always good...it's needed, but an injury like this takes time and I tend to think the team will be conservative and not rush him back. I HOPE BFan is correct...but I would not bet the cookie money on that.

Also, look at his numbers... after the injury he goes from averaging about 400 yards a season rushing to about 200. But his completion % goes up, as does his YPA. His Passer Rating goes up 10%. He got better, but it's because he developed as a pocket passer.

No disrespect, but this is as dubious a source as they get.
Why is this more dubious than a speculative piece from a sports reporter who has not spoken to Welker nor to his physician? I think we've all seen a few of those.

Also, look at his numbers... after the injury he goes from averaging about 400 yards a season rushing to about 200. But his completion % goes up, as does his YPA. His Passer Rating goes up 10%. He got better, but it's because he developed as a pocket passer.
Doubting Wes Welker does not strike me as a particularly wise course of action.

I have no medical background and no real factual basis, but I've believed all along that Welker would recover ahead of schedule. Probably just because he appears to be the kind of guy who wont let the injury beat him.
I'm not predicting anything, because its really just an unsupported WAG but I expect him to be on the 53, and playing very early on.

Welker is that kind of guy alright but with these type of injuries, even the very best and most determined don't make it back quickly sometimes.

Even if everything goes well medically, the real test comes when he gets on a field again and has to make a cut. I've seen guys come all that way and then when they get on the field and try to make a cut they just can't do it, a lot of the time its because they just are afraid its not fully healed and don't want to take a chance even though they've been cleared. With others they have it in their head that they felt something.

I really hope he makes it back and the sooner the better but regardless of how far ahead of schedule he may be, it doesn't matter one bit until he gets on a field and tries to put pressure on that knee, that last bit can take anywhere from the very first time to never happening for a guy.

You fly coach or first class?

Wes ain't sitting in the back with the cattle,thats for sure :cool:

First or Business. I haven't been in the back of the bus for a long, long time. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes