PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker says that he is "way ahead of schedule"

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Quick cuts put much more stress on the knee than a gradual change of direction. This is also why a car will tilt more when making a sharp turn as opposed to a gradual one at the same speed. As far as the ligaments being stressed in the quick cuts, they're same ones stressed when Welker made that last cut.

A car will tilt when making a sharp turn at high speed because of centrifugal force. Which I suppose is generated by inertia so the ACL stress comparison is valid. Also a car moving slowly can make a sharp turn without any tilting and accelerate rapidly or slowly into the turn without tilting. The tilt is due to the inertia at high speed.

A "quick" cut is not Welker going from top speed in one direction to top speed in another direction. It is the act of going in one direction (even slowly) to rapidly exploding to the other direction. This explosion is generated by fast twitch muscle fibers. A slow cutting player who plants his foot at high speed puts the same amount of stress (relative to body weight etc...) that a quick cutting player does. A player who can't cut as fast generally doesn't have as much defined/trained/activating fast twitch muscle fibers as a quick cutting player.

The quickness of the cut is not what puts stress on the ACL, it's the outward force from inertia/momentum being stopped by planting your foot to change directions.

2) Repaired ligaments are more at risk because they've been torn. Cut a piece of steak in half and sew it back together. Do you think that will be as strong as the steak that was never cut?

ACL's are not repaired, they are reconstructed. They are always (in the case of athletes or people who will put stress on the ACL) reconstructed using a stronger-than-original-ACL tendon like a patella tendon. Also as a side note, steak is muscle, fat, and connective tissues... not close to a tendon.

Seriously, get a life. Welker had a nasty injury and claiming that everything will be all sunshine and lollypops is stupid fanboy homerism at it's worst. We don't have inside info regarding the injury nor his rehab process so we cannot predict how he'll be at which point. It is what it is.

I've never once claimed anything was sunshine and lollypops? Also the get a life comment, nice touch :rolleyes:

We may not have inside information, but you lack basic knowledge and ability to learn yet somehow believe your ignorant opinion on the matter is the correct and everyone else is a fanboy idiot moron.

Last edited:
2) Repaired ligaments are more at risk because they've been torn. Cut a piece of steak in half and sew it back together. Do you think that will be as strong as the steak that was never cut?

No offense, but this statement shows you clearly don't know what you are talking about. I am no expert to say the very least, but I know enough to know that when you have your ACL reconstructed they replace the old ACL and put in a brand new one usually from your own thigh muscle or from a cadaver and the muscle is fused to the bone. Back in the day they used to sew ACLs back together, but that was when an ACL tear was a career ending injury.

The fact of the matter is that generally, a replaced ACL is less likely to tear than your existing ACL. In fact, players who usually have a second ACL tear usually have it on their other leg (Jamal Anderson and Kris Jenkins come to mind off the bat).

I am no doctor, but I have read and seen enough about ACL tears with athletes to know that much.

A good friend of mine (a reliable guy) sat directly behind Welker on a flight from Boston to LA today (another Playboy visit vs. passing camp with TB?). Welker told someone sitting next to him that he is "way ahead of schedule". Take that for what it's worth at this point in his rehab but it can't be a bad thing.

Just the corroborate the op's story, a coworker of mine saw Welker at a play in Los Angeles last week (they are both mutual friends of the producer) and told me that Welker said the same thing. Without being a member of this forum, this guy said that Welker used the phrase "way ahead of schedule."

My coworker also said that when he told Welker that his girlfriend had a crush on Tom Brady, Welker responded "so do I."

@albertbreer on twitter just a minute ago...

More on Welker -- Very impressive cutting and weaving through a cone drill. That was most significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back