PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker says that he is "way ahead of schedule"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you provide us with the specifics of what parts of the knee get stressed more and why for someone who makes quick cuts? Also could you tell us how the repaired ligaments in the knee will be at risk and what factors will put them more at risk than if he had not torn his ACL?

1) Quick cuts put much more stress on the knee than a gradual change of direction. This is also why a car will tilt more when making a sharp turn as opposed to a gradual one at the same speed. As far as the ligaments being stressed in the quick cuts, they're same ones stressed when Welker made that last cut.

2) Repaired ligaments are more at risk because they've been torn. Cut a piece of steak in half and sew it back together. Do you think that will be as strong as the steak that was never cut?

Seriously, get a life. Welker had a nasty injury and claiming that everything will be all sunshine and lollypops is stupid fanboy homerism at it's worst. We don't have inside info regarding the injury nor his rehab process so we cannot predict how he'll be at which point. It is what it is.

1) Quick cuts put much more stress on the knee than a gradual change of direction. This is also why a car will tilt more when making a sharp turn as opposed to a gradual one at the same speed. As far as the ligaments being stressed in the quick cuts, they're same ones stressed when Welker made that last cut.

2) Repaired ligaments are more at risk because they've been torn. Cut a piece of steak in half and sew it back together. Do you think that will be as strong as the steak that was never cut?

Seriously, get a life. Welker had a nasty injury and claiming that everything will be all sunshine and lollypops is stupid fanboy homerism at it's worst. We don't have inside info regarding the injury nor his rehab process so we cannot predict how he'll be at which point. It is what it is.

Extremely poor analogy. A reattached "steak" does not have the ability to heal, grow new tissue, cells and blood vessels. The human body does.

Extremely poor analogy. A reattached "steak" does not have the ability to heal, grow new tissue, cells and blood vessels. The human body does.

Poor analogy or not, the tendon won't be as strong as if it had not been injured, talk to an Orthopedic surgeon if you don't think I'm correct.

Poor analogy or not, the tendon won't be as strong as if it had not been injured, talk to an Orthopedic surgeon if you don't think I'm correct.

You are correct. Stronger than a sewn steak, but not good as new.

I had a nernia repaired. Doctor said the repair is stronger than the original, that I could still get a hernia on the other side, but will never get one on the repaired side.

Hernia may not be the same as tendon damage, but it is closer than sewing up a steak. The real reason the steak won't be as strong a month after you cut it is that it will have rotted.

Hernia may not be the same as tendon damage, but it is closer than sewing up a steak. The real reason the steak won't be as strong a month after you cut it is that it will have rotted.

Think "surface area" and if that would have any effect on the strength of the steak.

You really believe ACL surgery involves sewing the ligament back together? Seriously?

Don't need to talk to an Orthopedic surgeon. All you need to do is pay attention. The injured ligament is irrelevant. ACL reconstruction replaces the ligament. I have no idea if the new ligament is stronger/weaker than the old ligament, but I suppose the intent is to make it equal or stronger.

You might want to consult the Google before venturing into the magical world of medicine next time.

A car tilting on sharp turns is not due to increased stress. Only if the car did NOT tilt during a sudden change of direcion would the stresses in the undercarriage be increased. The car tilts because of momentum, btw.

Welker said he is ahead of schedule. He may or may not play next year. You're just going to have to live with that, dude, and calling people stupid fanboy homers isn't going to change that. You need a better outlet.

A car tilting on sharp turns is not due to increased stress. Only if the car did NOT tilt during a sudden change of direcion would the stresses in the undercarriage be increased. The car tilts because of momentum, btw.

I don't care what you call it, will more stress be put on the outer side in the course of the sharp turn? Quick cuts put dramatically more stress on the knee than a gradual change.

You really believe ACL surgery involves sewing the ligament back together? Seriously?

I didn't say that, it was an analogy, you really should pay attention.

Don't need to talk to an Orthopedic surgeon. All you need to do is pay attention. The injured ligament is irrelevant. ACL reconstruction replaces the ligament

Yes, and how is that new ligament connected? Bueller, Bueller?

I have no idea if the new ligament is stronger/weaker than the old ligament, but I suppose the intent is to make it equal or stronger

You can intend anything you want, that doesnt mean your intent has anything to do with what happens in reality.

Last edited:
I had a nernia repaired. Doctor said the repair is stronger than the original, that I could still get a hernia on the other side, but will never get one on the repaired side.

Your hernia repair is now much stronger than the original non repaired side. But this is different than the knee. Most hernia repairs include a synthetic patch which is put in place over the rupture. The patches often include mesh, allowing the new tissue to grow around and through the repair, holding the patch in place. You now not only have a repair, but an artificial wall reinforcing the area.

The knee repair, unfortunately does not include this degree of synthetic reinforcement,

I didn't say that, it was an analogy, you really should pay attention.

Dude, look at what you said (even without the analogy):

2) Repaired ligaments are more at risk because they've been torn.

Explain to me how those words don't lead to the conclusion that you believe torn ACL's are "repaired" not replaced...and that the existing "repaired" ligament (can't be referring to a new ligament since that one wouldn't have been torn) is "at risk". The sewn steak analogy just reinforces this.

Yes, and how is that new ligament connected? Bueller, Bueller?

Haven't the foggiest idea where you are going with this question. Please explain to us how the new ligament is connected and (once healed) presents an enhanced risk of future injury. I know the answer but I await your response for its comedic quality.

You can intend anything you want, that doesnt mean your intent has anything to do with what happens in reality.

Since you are the master of reality, please fill us in. Replacement ligaments are by definition weaker than the originals? Any scientific data to back up your conclusions?

just to bone you internet nerds up on a little education, the damaged ligament is replaced with a pig ligament taken from the very same pigs whose hides are used to make footballs, and whose heart valves are harvested for heart patients and novelty valentine's day gifts.

these pigs are raced from a very young age, and only the most athletic are deemed suitable for the ligament transplants.

why do I get the feeling you're gonna tell us pigs can fly in the near future?

part7_flyingpigs.jpg

heh..the winner crosses the finish "swine"...

Pigs already fly in New Orleans.

Well played, Sir... well played.

Oops- gotta run I'm knitting a lovely pot roast for dinner tomorrow. Back to reality and all... :bricks:

Sew a steak.... heh, heh...

Last edited:
Nice interview with Wes who is in OK City to hold his annual charity event.

"I’m happy about where we are,” he said. "Hopefully, we can just continue to have positive days and keep moving forward.”

Some of his doubters have suggested there’s no way he will be ready for the Patriots’ season opener on Sept. 12.

Welker isn’t ready to target a date for his return.

"It’s so early right now, it’s hard to put any sort of timetable on it,” he said. "My main deal is just working hard and putting myself in the best position possible to be ready whenever I’m ready. No telling when that’s going to be or how long it’s going to take, but all I can do is just work hard.”

That’s all he’s ever done. Bust his tail. Push his limits. And in the process, he’s proven all his doubters wrong.

No reason to think this will be any different.

"Every day,” Welker said, "is looking a little bit brighter.”

Read more: NewsOK

I think he'll be in the starting line-up Week 1. I just can't see him getting over the mental hurdle that he's going to have to go through at that time. Whatever happens, I do NOT want to see him rush it back. We should have a few receiving options in the line-up who should be able to take the pressure off of his return timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes