PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker says he regrets making foot-related comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly, my sentiment as well. What Welker did with little digs is NOTHING compared to the constant incessant remarks that Ryan makes going after Tom Brady every time you turn around. If I were Welker, and Belichick told me to "apologize" to Ryan, that is where I would draw the line. I'd tell Belichick if you want an "apology" given to Rex Ryan, then DO IT YOURSELF !!!!

EZ76

Welker apologized to Belichik, not to Ryan, and nowhere does it suggest that Belichik told him to. He specifically said he wished he hadn't put Belichik in that position, and said nothing about apologizing to Ryan.

Welker apologized to Belichik, not to Ryan, and nowhere does it suggest that Belichik told him to. He specifically said he wished he hadn't put Belichik in that position, and said nothing about apologizing to Ryan.

Point taken, I understand, I was merely using a "hypothetical" (if that were the case). If they solved it amongst themselves, hey, then all the better. Frankly speaking, I also wish Welker had not done what he did in that interview, but considering the constant remarks from Ryan about Brady, this was nothing. But, in hind sight, obviously not the best thing for Welk to do, to draw that sort of unneeded attention.

EZ76

Last edited:
I still think Welker was right and BB was wrong.

But I'm not longer as sure as I previously was.

I still think Welker was right and BB was wrong.

But I'm not longer as sure as I previously was.

I thin k Welker gets it and is sincerely apologetic for putting belichik in that situation. The bigger picture is one where belichik has a young team and he needs his leaders to do what he tells them if he is going to have any hope of the rest following them, and that's how he gets the whole team on the same page. What Welker did was comical and minor in terms of sports trash talk, but Belichik apparently had put a gag order on the team and Welker then went out and took clear shots at the opposing coach forcing Belichik to address it in a meaningful way, which he did. It sucks for Patriot fans but I understand where Belichik is coming from and agree with him that he had to do something to maintain overall discipline on the team in coming years.

I expect Welker made the statement in an attempt to end the conversation over his being benched in the first series as a consequence of that humor.

Or maybe he was frightened by the rumor posted here that Belichick immediately looked to trade him after that game and felt he needed to clear the air to avoid that fate.:)

Last edited:
I thin k Welker gets it and is sincerely apologetic for putting belichik in that situation. The bigger picture is one where belichik has a young team and he needs his leaders to do what he tells them if he is going to have any hope of the rest following them, and that's how he gets the whole team on the same page. What Welker did was comical and minor in terms of sports trash talk, but Belichik apparently had put a gag order on the team and Welker then went out and took clear shots at the opposing coach forcing Belichik to address it in a meaningful way, which he did. It sucks for Patriot fans but I understand where Belichik is coming from and agree with him that he had to do something to maintain overall discipline on the team in coming years.

Yep, good points, and like I said, since they got it resolved with one another, all the better.

EZ76

I expect Welker made the statement in an attempt to end the conversation over his being benched in the first series as a consequence of that humor.

Or maybe he was frightened by the rumor posted here that Belichick immediately looked to trade him after that game and felt he needed to clear the air to avoid that fate.:)

Are you referring to the "rumour" started by a tweet from a jet fan? If so I seriously doubt that Welker was startled and concerned by tweets from POLISHINGEDSFIREHAT, and it's more likely that he realized he shouldn't have gone there and issued a public apology to Belichik for doing so, and to end the discussion.

Players retract statements and apologize for actions all the time. Sometimes they mean it. Sometimes they don't.

Last edited:
Yep, good points, and like I said, since they got it resolved with one another, all the better.

EZ76

I agree, i think it's all good with Belichik and Welker and the only place it will live on in is the tweetesphere. Seriously, it kills me that people will actually treat comments from fans as legitimate information.

Players retract statements and apologize for actions all the time. Sometimes they mean it. Sometimes they don't.

Which is why the way they do so matters, rather than say "I'm sorry that others took offense to my comments in my press conference," which is often the approach people take when issuing public apologies, Welker said "I'm sorry I put Belichik in that position," which goes right to the heart of the matter in that Welker put Belichik on the spot by flagrantly ignoring the gag order, forcing Belichik to address it. Welker clearly understands why Belichik had to do something, and from what I can tell genuinely regrets putting him in that position.

FWIW. Curran just said on WEEI that BB appologized to Rex about what Welker did because of the connection to Rex's wife. He claims that he read about it from that Incarceratedbob character. Again, FWIW.

I agree, i think it's all good with Belichik and Welker and the only place it will live on in is the tweetesphere. Seriously, it kills me that people will actually treat comments from fans as legitimate information.

I think you are right, and I think I may have just originally misread the original statement, hence my response. So, I read it again. Heck, that is what mid 40's does to you.....:D :p. I think Welk was the right for apologizing to Coach BB, and maybe his teammates (if he felt there was a need for that), but certainly no one else.

EZ76

Which is why the way they do so matters, rather than say "I'm sorry that others took offense to my comments in my press conference," which is often the approach people take when issuing public apologies, Welker said "I'm sorry I put Belichik in that position," which goes right to the heart of the matter in that Welker put Belichik on the spot by flagrantly ignoring the gag order, forcing Belichik to address it. Welker clearly understands why Belichik had to do something, and from what I can tell genuinely regrets putting him in that position.

Belichick didn't have to do anything. This is a coach who felt quite free to go at Freddie Mitchell, after all.

Belichick didn't have to do anything. This is a coach who felt quite free to go at Freddie Mitchell, after all.

If Belichik told the team to stay quiet and Welker ignored it then Belichik had to address it or have players ignore his edicts in the future. If you believe belichik never said anything to them then that's another story, but gauging the responses of players leading up to that game it was pretty obvious a gag order was in effect.

Unless you believe belichik issued a gag order but has no responsibility to follow through on his edicts, which actually makes no sense unless you are Pete Carroll.

If Belichik told the team to stay quiet and Welker ignored it then Belichik had to address it or have players ignore his edicts in the future. If you believe belichik never said anything to them then that's another story, but gauging the responses of players leading up to that game it was pretty obvious a gag order was in effect.

Unless you believe belichik issued a gag order but has no responsibility to follow through on his edicts, which actually makes no sense unless you are Pete Carroll.

Belichick had options. I'll leave it at that, since we're not going to be changing minds here.

Last edited:
When is it that disgusting fat body's turn to apologize? Maybe he's too busy scouting the adult ads looking to find other guys to bang his wife. Maybe it's because he has a mouth full of toe cheese or maybe it's just that he's too busy having another good cry with the team. Who knows?

Benching Welker did more harm than good. What he said was harmless, It should have been ignored. Benching him played into the Jet's hand.

Belichick had options. I'll leave it at that, since we're not going to be changing minds here.

Saying Belichik didn't have to address it or that he could have done so differently are two different things. Could he have done so differently, yes, did he have to do something, also yes.

C'mon, spell his name right.

When is it that disgusting fat body's turn to apologize? Maybe he's too busy scouting the adult ads looking to find other guys to bang his wife. Maybe it's because he has a mouth full of toe cheese or maybe it's just that he's too busy having another good cry with the team. Who knows?

I am wondering that myself, as well, after all the constants digs toward TFB that this guy makes constantly. Hell, he made them the week he was playing the Colts in the playoffs. It is like hey, you are facing Peyton Manning and the Colts this week, not TB and the Pats (just yet). Once this series turns around, (and it inevitably will) and BB starts distancing himself in the overall series, between the two, this guy's antics are start growing real old, real fast, even with their own fans et al. Look for even the NY media to start crucifying him then. That is why I said Welker owes this man (Ryan) absolutely NO APOLOGIES for anything.

EZ76

The Pats have always talked smack after the game. Welker's conference, as funny as it was, was below the belt. He was talking about somebody's wife/personal life, Belichick merely questioned an idiots ability to play football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back