PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welker says he regrets making foot-related comments

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pats have always talked smack after the game. Welker's conference, as funny as it was, was below the belt. He was talking about somebody's wife/personal life, Belichick merely questioned an idiots ability to play football.

I disagree. Ryan and his wife put themselves out in public.

Welker was clever with nothing distasteful whatsoever.

The only way I might support BB's stance is if from his close up contact with the young players he felt if would be beneficial to the rebuilt Patriots team culture to put a lid on any comments whatsoever and by disciplining a vet he could us that as cover to come down on young undisciplined players.

Are you referring to the "rumour" started by a tweet from a jet fan? If so I seriously doubt that Welker was startled and concerned by tweets from POLISHINGEDSFIREHAT, and it's more likely that he realized he shouldn't have gone there and issued a public apology to Belichik for doing so, and to end the discussion.

I thought the smiley at the end of the statement was a sufficient indicator. That would be a joke.

Last edited:
I don't think he deserved to be benched for it. But I'm glad that Welker is apologizing. It shows that he is the bigger man. And by putting the fault on himself it shows that he cares more about the team than his own ego. Wes Welker is a great PATRIOT. Now let's drop the shopping him around drivel that has been polluting these boards recently.

I thought what he did was clever and funny, but I was surprised he did it, given the Pats policy on media stuff.

He shouldn't regret it. It wasn't a big deal at all and I don't think he should have been benched.
he should regret it and im glad he got benched. next time just do as the coach asks you to do and you wont get benched. im glad bb sent a message that everybody no matter who you are is accountable. if all it took was a player getting benched for one series to affect the team and contribute to the loss than the patriots have huge problems going forward.

FWIW. Curran just said on WEEI that BB appologized to Rex about what Welker did because of the connection to Rex's wife. He claims that he read about it from that Incarceratedbob character. Again, FWIW.

IMO, the really aggravating thing about this whole deal is that Rex and his wife put this foot fetish nonsense out basically to divert the media's attention from just how involved Rex was in the Kneegate fiasco on the sidelines. The Jets reaction to Kneegate was " oh yeah? well the Pats do it too, why don't you look at them? and oh gee-- look over there-- something shiny!!!"(meaning the youtube video) Of course, the media jumped right on it and Rex was spared an embarrassing investigation about something that really matters. For BB to have to apologize for Welkers' comments about what was basically a ruse and a subterfuge was particularly galling.

i love this quote.

Welker admitted to the Herald "it's not always easy to keep a lid on it.'' Still, he said, he believes in the Patriots' way of doing things.

it's good to see he believes in superbowls, the class way of doing things, good sporstmanship win or lose and doing their talking on the field. in other words, the exact opposite of the jets way.

Perhaps it shouldn't have been a big deal, but it did become one.

All week long the Jets were trying to bait the Patriots into a public war of words. The media desperately wanted the Pats to respond too. Welker gave them what they wanted. The Jets immediately turned it around, playing the disrespect card, whipping themselves into a frenzy of additional adrenaline and motivation. I am sure Welker's words were brought up in the final pre-game meeting.

It was really a page out of Belichick's book. The Patriots would find something, anything to use the disrespect card for additional motivation against an opponent - even when they were 17-2 in 2003 and 2004.

I'm not suggesting Welker's words were the difference between a win and a loss, but there was a reason why the Patriots were given orders to not say anything other than bland compliments. Why give your opponent a possible extra incentive?
that ^...........

the jets won the headgames

he should regret it and im glad he got benched. next time just do as the coach asks you to do and you wont get benched. im glad bb sent a message that everybody no matter who you are is accountable. if all it took was a player getting benched for one series to affect the team and contribute to the loss than the patriots have huge problems going forward.

that^

people whine all the time about how players walk over coaches these days, and you guys have a disciplined coach who will run a tight ship , people who didn't like the welker benching are not in favor of discipline, simple as that

i'm not a pats fan, but it's clear, the culprit in all of this is welker, had he shut up, like pats did when they were winning the big games, BB wouldn't have had to bench him

it reminds me of brady throwing back a laugh at plaxico's 17 points comment before the superbowl, laughing about the possibility that the ny giants would hold the vaunted pats offense under 17

head games.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes