PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WELKER: " I let the team down "

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was 50 yards downfield and Brady couldn't set himself to throw. He was on the move when he launched it, and got hit hard the second he released. If he had set himself to throw better, he never would have got the ball off at all.

Then maybe that is a pass that should not have been thrown, imagine if Brett Favre had thrown that pass, or that Baltimore pass, would you be saying the same thing?

I thought the play was on Welker because he didn't sit in the zone. He saw clear sailing up ahead for a TD and he turned upfield, his back was to Brady. He should have settled himself long before the ball got there to secure the catch, but he was looking to score a TD.

Similarly, Brady could have had a 10 yard gain over the middle to a wide open Hernandez, but he diagnosed the Giants being out of kilter before the play started, and Wes was open, so he went for it.

When you have a lead late in the game, you should ONLY go for the sure thing, IMO.

Especially a two point lead.

Yes Tom, go through a huge high profile divorce from someone who you are in love with and clearly gets you, and date someone you don't even know.

LOL......have it your way

I thought the play was on Welker because he didn't sit in the zone. He saw clear sailing up ahead for a TD and he turned upfield, his back was to Brady. He should have settled himself long before the ball got there to secure the catch, but he was looking to score a TD.

This is pure BS.
That was the play, full go ahead for Welker. And how could he possibly settle himself there, as he didnt even end up there until he tried to make the catch. The miss is all on Brady.

Yes he does.

See my post.

I saw your post. It's the opinion of the coach. Now, I note it that way despite the fact that Mangini actually backs the notion that it was thrown in the right spot. The truth is that we can only guess which shoulder that throw was supposed to go to, unless and until we get a definitive statement from the team/players.

It was a very difficult catch.

No, it wasn't.

Last edited:
As I said in the other thread, freeze this video at the 1:24 mark:

Patriots Stand By Welker - ESPN Video - ESPN

If Brady throws to Welker's right shoulder, #21 is going to knock Welker into next week, assuming he doesn't just knock the ball down. He had to throw to Welker's left shoulder to lead him away from the defender.

The "problem" is that Welker initially looked over his right shoulder for the ball. If he had looked over his left shoulder he could have kept stride.

215xa.png

taken from WES WELKER'S DROP IN THE SUPER BOWL - YouTube sec 34

#21 nowhere near Welker. Absolutely no hope for #21 to make a play on the catch. And absolutely no reason for Brady to throw it to the back shoulder and so high with Welker so wide open.

No, it wasn't.

True. It wasnt very difficult, it was almost impossible to make. Even if he did had the ball in his hands, he would had lost it when he hit the ground hard. Hardddd.

Welker actually did make the catch, he did had the ball in his hands for a split second, but immediately after he lost it because of his rotation from left to right. His hands were not rotating at the same speed, he lost the balance of his hands on the ball as he was coming down. But even if he didnt lost control of the ball in the air, he would had lost it on the ground.

To complete the catch, Welker had to jump on his back as high as he could horizontally and vertically(like a high jumper), while also at the same time his body was rotating from left to right because of the back shoulder throw, catch the ball, secure it, not lose balance and control of the ball as his body was still rotating to the right, and still keeping possession after a very, very hard impact with the ground on his lateral right side. easy peasy. for the clowns. Serious guys know that it was almost impossible to do it.

Last edited:
I'm kind of changing my tune o this play. I thought it was mostly on Welker at first, but the more I see it, Brady has to get at least half the blame. I don't think it was a right shoulder/left shoulder issue as much as the height of the throw. Welker is a very good receiver, but i wouldn't call him an "athletic" receiver. leaping, twisting, body turning in mid air is not his strength. Actually, many of his catches he cradles the ball with his body. In conclusion, this was a much, much harder catch for a guy like Welker than for a more athletic type of player. A lower throw on either side of Welker and he makes the catch easily.

True. It wasnt very difficult, it was almost impossible to make. Even if he did had the ball in his hands, he would had lost it when he hit the ground hard. Hardddd.

Welker actually did make the catch, he did had the ball in his hands for a split second, but immediately after he lost it because of his rotation from left to right. His hands were not rotating at the same speed, he lost the balance of his hands on the ball as he was coming down. But even if he didnt lost control of the ball in the air, he would had lost it on the ground.

To complete the catch, Welker had to jump on his back as high as he could horizontally and vertically(like a high jumper), while also at the same time his body was rotating from left to right because of the back shoulder throw, catch the ball, secure it, not lose balance and control of the ball as his body was still rotating to the right, and still keeping possession after a very, very hard impact with the ground on his lateral right side. easy peasy. for the clowns. Serious guys know that it was almost impossible to do it.
It sounds like you have never played football or made difficult catches because it is not almost impossible. Wow. Welker even knows that he should have come down with it. What an ignorant comment. These guys are the best pass catchers in the entire world. They know how to use their body and hands better than anyone to make a completion. C'mon.

A few of my thoughts-

-Phils Simms was on tv this morning talking about the play. In his view the issue was actually that Brady usually throws that pass with more zip so when Welker went for the ball he mis-timed his leap by just enough to throw him off with the catch. Interesting observation I thought.

-I actually put this one on Welker. Yes it was a difficult catch, but with great players their standards are higher. If say Tyquan Underwood had been on the team and missed that pass IMHO it would be a non-issue.
There's a reason Welker was immediately and continues to be distraught about the play-he knows he should have made it. If it was a ball he shouldn't have caught yes he would have been dissapointed but probably would have let it go because hey it was Brady's fault.

This is pure BS.
That was the play, full go ahead for Welker. And how could he possibly settle himself there, as he didnt even end up there until he tried to make the catch. The miss is all on Brady.

Thanks for weighing in troll. Now go back under the bridge.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

It was 50 yards downfield and Brady couldn't set himself to throw. He was on the move when he launched it, and got hit hard the second he released. If he had set himself to throw better, he never would have got the ball off at all.
Bad play call considering the situation, first down in the fourth quarter with the New England Patriots defense desperately in need of a rest. The two previous plays the New England Patriots offense ran the ball for a total of twelve yards. The New England Patriots offensive pass-run distribution was completely out of whack with no intent to wear down the New York Giants defensive line whatsoever.

I actually don't think the play call was that bad. Intermediate seam routes to your slot receiver don't take that long to develop.

One thing I don't think has been discussed as yet is protection for Brady late in the game. Granted when you are down in the game the DL has a tendency to pin their ears back but the run was not out of the question at that point. As the game wore on much like what happened four years ago the Pats OL seemed to have a harder time keeping guys off Brady. If he had a split second more to throw that ball to Welker would he have thrown a better ball?

I do think the pass AND the catch were less than what we would expect from either player. At the same time I have a hard time with these Monday Morning Analysts saying that it was an easy catch to make. It was far from an easy catch to make. If it had been just high instead of high and outside Welker would likely have made the catch.

The other thing I have heard a good deal from the Boston radio talking heads is that Chung on Moore got beat on the Manningham catch. It did not matter. That was in part the beauty of that throw from Eli. The only place either defender could have been to have defended that play would have been over the top of Manningham literally on the same line as Manningham. Basically Chung would have had to have been out of bounds to have been in position to stop that play.

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Show another example of a receiver making a exactly similar catch. Until then, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Thanks for weighing in troll. Now go back under the bridge.

Get lost troll. Saying that Welker should have settled in a spot where he didnt even end up until the end of the play is immensely idiotic. I hope you finally realized that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST