PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WELKER: " I let the team down "

Status
Not open for further replies.
no one play loses a game

but the 4th qtr is where mistakes obviously get magnified

marlon mccree will tell you the same thing , as will nate kaeding and billy cundiff lol

if the game was only 3 quarters long and those 3 quarters were the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, we would've won, too.

You couldn't put a combination of quarters together in which the D didn't play better than the offense. It's a team loss but, we are fans and are going to relive this all off season and over analyze till our heads explode. I find it hard to believe we lose this game if welker makes that catch. Worst case scenario Brady has the ball down 2 instead of 4.

I'm proud of the way the D played in this game. My main gripe is the 12 man penalty and fumbles we failed to recover. But they also forced those fumbles to begin with. They weren't spectacular but this team averaged damn near 30 points per game and they played in a dome and produced 17 points.

Had gronk not suited up we should have been capable of scoring 3 TD's in perfect weather. Period.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but, if the coaches watched gronk run for the last week they knew he wasn't the same. Put in some contingency plays where we run more. Ridley didn't even see the field. I would rather have had #33 out there than if that was gonna be the case.

Ocho stunk and obviously didn't have a damn clue. But would it have been blasphemous to just give the guy a couple set routes and say run these to best of your abilities and if your open we will hit you, that way Brady would've known where he was. if not atleast we tried cuz gronk was Chris Baker on Sunday without his wheels. We needed an outside threat to step up and be the difference. Why cut house party and not Ocho If we had no intention of using him more in a way where he could actually help? Saving face? We needed someone who knew the playbook at the very least. Irving fryar would've been a better option than Ocho. I really hope they atleast attempted to tweak his option reads and dumb them down.

I'm surprised that some of the people posting in this thread, whose opinions I normally respect, are so utterly clueless on this one.

1. What part of he could have/should have made the catch, but Brady threw it on the wrong shoulder and made it a tough as hell catch do you guys not understand. Sure Welker is going to say he should have made it, but for a 5-9 guy that it a circus catch.

2. Welker is maning up and showing EXACTLY WHY he should be a Patriot next year and beyond, and all you guys can do is use that against him--to prove that somehow that was really the single play (if there is one) that lost us the game. Absolutely pathetic. I would expect this kind of idiocy out of Jets fans but not here.

1.) You don't know what shoulder the ball was supposed to go to.

2.) Regardless of the shoulder question, Welker should have had the ball. It wasn't that tough a catch.

Oh, gimme a break, he said himself he's caught that ball a thousand times before.

In the Superbowl against a good defense, I'm sorry, but you better be able to catch a ball that hits you on both hands if you want to be paid as an elite receiver.
In the Superbowl against a good defense, you better be able to throw the football deep downfield to your tight end and not underthrow it to an ancient linebacker for an interception, especially in the fourth quarter.

Yes you are the only one.

Yes out of nearly 7 billion people im the only one, that makes perfect sense. Whatever. But in all honesty we dont know if brady put the ball where he is suppossed to and welker made the mistake or if welker was trying to adjust to a bad throw. But either way It looks like welker made it harder on himself by turning around and then trying to elevate for the ball.

Irving fryar would've been a better option than Ocho. I really hope they atleast attempted to tweak his option reads and dumb them down.
Hopefully, Ocho will be able to read his impending pink slip.

i thought brady threw it where it had to be thrown

there was a giant on one side of welker, and one trailing him, so brady throws it to the shoulder where there's only one person who can possibly catch it, welker

and welker gets both hands on it and flubs it

that's on welker and he knows it

i thought brady threw it where it had to be thrown

there was a giant on one side of welker, and one trailing him, so brady throws it to the shoulder where there's only one person who can possibly catch it, welker

and welker gets both hands on it and flubs it

that's on welker and he knows it

GTFO troll. Its at least 90% on Brady.

2011 Wes Welker Highlights - YouTube

Welker's highlights this season. Anytime Brady throws near Welker's chest, its a sure completion. That it all Brady had to do. And he has no excuse. Welker was wide open, safety was too far to make a play on the catch, there was no pressure as the OLs did their job perfectly on that play.

Did Brady throw it near Welker's chest? No, he didnt. He threw it on the wrong shoulder, very high, he basically could not had make it more difficult for Welker to make the catch, without being a complete overthrow. Welker had to jump as high as he could with his back towards the ground and at the same time he had to turn around completely because the throw was to the wrong shoulder. Very difficult catch to make, circus catch like someone wrote here before.

Brady throws it near Welker's chest, its a sure completion and most likely Pats win.

First of all, Welker had space but wasn't "wide open." There WERE three defenders within 5 or so yards of him, still not the easiest throw to make. Don't make it out like he was running free with nobody around him and Brady could have just lobbed it and Welker could have run under it.

It wasn't a good throw, but it wasn't a horrible throw either. It was a throw that did give Welker a chance to make a play. Not all throws are going to be perfect, especially with pressure. The ball got there, hit Welker in the hands and he dropped it. It wouldn't have been an easy catch, but it's one he could have and should have made. Just like it wasn't a perfect throw, but it was one Brady could have and should have made.

Neither Brady nor Welker succeeded in making the play, stop trying to blame it on one or the other. Both guys messed up.

These teams played exactly how we all should have expected them to. The breaks bounced in the Giants favor... The game came down to a few key areas, some of them individual plays. Steve Weatherford was a big part of it too, plus the Giants recovering their two fumbles.

Let's stop the witch hunts.

Mangini said the Giants were in cover 3 and the Pats had the perfect play called for that coverage - a seam route - "cover 3 killer", his words. A typical seam route is thrown inside towards the numbers. He said the Safety (21 Philips) was shading more to Welkers side than usual and that Brady threw the back shoulder because he thought Philips might close on the ball and intercept it.

Welkers had micro seconds to adjust and catch the ball back shoulder. If Philips is a foot or two more away from Welker, Brady throws it inside where Welker is expecting it.

Its not Brady fault because an INT does NE no good and its not Welkers fault because he is expecting the ball more inside and may not have realized how close Philips was.

Yes he does.

See my post.

It was a very difficult catch.

No offense but it's been broken down by coaches as well as others, and that throw was a damn good throw by a quarterback who knows how to adjust his passes based on how the play unfolds. Plays are designed a certain way and quarterbacks are expected to throw it in a certain place, but plays rarely go as expected and only rookie QB's would have still thrown that pass in the agreed upon place.

The receiver is expected to make similar adjustments, and honestly I think Wes did. This wasn't an issue of Welker not being able to get to the ball. Both made adjustments.

But even if I wasn't going to go based on breakdowns then considering the amount of times Brady has done this beginning with his first Super Bowl as a 2nd year starter, considering the fact he had a 96 yard drive in the 2nd quarter and broke Joe Montana's record for pass completions in a Super Bowl, considering the fact that Welker wasn't the only one dropping good balls, but happened 3-4 times on that last drive........I have to freaking give the benefit of the doubt that Tom, was on point, not bothered by the clock pressure, while the receivers were. It was all because of the lack of time and clock pressure.

You could see them trying to run before securing the catch. That's all Welker did right there too. It wasn't that he was unable to catch it. He didn't secure the catch. Receiver fundementals 101. Same thing happened on the final drive.

Mike and Mike in the morning was just talking about it and they also broke it down. They also mentioned that players are graded after each game. That's graded as a drop. Period.

Having said that, not only was Welker's play not the play that cost us the game but people are overlooking the massive ass beating we got in field position and poor clock management that overshadow anything else that took place in this game. Neither Brady nor the receivers were really at fault.

Our execution in clock management and field position wasn't even close. We got abused on both and none of the single plays we failed to make match this. Atrocious. And it's the same exact mistake that happened during the first Giants game. Same thing that happened in the last Super Bowl.

At first I didn't understand how we could be the #2 special teams in the league and get abused so miserably by the Giants in this department. But now I do. They are as good in this as we are in passing. Their punter is freaking amazing. He's as precise in punting as Brady is in passing. Gotta give them credit. They have a very special player there.

No offense but it's been broken down by coaches as well as others, and that throw was a damn good throw by a quarterback who knows how to adjust his passes based on how the play unfolds. Plays are designed a certain way and quarterbacks are expected to throw it in a certain place, but plays rarely go as expected and only rookie QB's would have still thrown that pass in the agreed upon place.

The receiver is expected to make similar adjustments, and honestly I think Wes did. This wasn't an issue of Welker not being able to get to the ball. Both made adjustments.

But even if I wasn't going to go based on breakdowns then considering the amount of times Brady has done this beginning with his first Super Bowl as a 2nd year starter, considering the fact he had a 96 yard drive in the 2nd quarter and broke Joe Montana's record for pass completions in a Super Bowl, considering the fact that Welker wasn't the only one dropping good balls, but happened 3-4 times on that last drive........I have to freaking give the benefit of the doubt that Tom, was on point, not bothered by the clock pressure, while the receivers were. It was all because of the lack of time and clock pressure.

You could see them trying to run before securing the catch. That's all Welker did right there too. It wasn't that he was unable to catch it. He didn't secure the catch. Receiver fundementals 101. Same thing happened on the final drive.

Mike and Mike in the morning was just talking about it and they also broke it down. They also mentioned that players are graded after each game. That's graded as a drop. Period.

Having said that, not only was Welker's play not the play that cost us the game but people are overlooking the massive ass beating we got in field position and poor clock management that overshadow anything else that took place in this game. Neither Brady nor the receivers were really at fault.

Our execution in clock management and field position wasn't even close. We got abused on both and none of the single plays we failed to make match this. Atrocious. And it's the same exact mistake that happened during the first Giants game. Same thing that happened in the last Super Bowl.

At first I didn't understand how we could be the #2 special teams in the league and get abused so miserably by the Giants in this department. But now I do. They are as good in this as we are in passing. Their punter is freaking amazing. He's as precise in punting as Brady is in passing. Gotta give them credit. They have a very special player there.

See my other post.

Im not bashing Brady or Welker. That wasnt an easy catch for Welker and Brady threw it where it had to go.

It's over......would have been nice, but that's the way it goes.

Brady and welker are good teammates.

Gisele on the other hand........Brady shoulda shacked up with someone like Lindsay vonn.......he would have been playing at a higher level if he shacked up with a hot competitive athlete than a supermodel......maybe it's not too late

Tell me our football interests would not be better served with a champion skier who looks like this

Vonn%2B-%2Bcasual.jpg

Last edited:
I'm surprised there isn't much talk on the Branch drop the very next play. It also would have given the Pats a 1st down and chewed up another few minutes. Has anyone broken this pay down? I haven't seen it in slow mo, but the throw is a little behind Branch, but looked to be a drop.

I'm surprised there isn't much talk on the Branch drop the very next play. It also would have given the Pats a 1st down and chewed up another few minutes. Has anyone broken this pay down? I haven't seen it in slow mo, but the throw is a little behind Branch, but looked to be a drop.

Shhhhhhhh...........use your good karma and think with me ..... 'Tom, go get Lindsey'

Shhhhhhhh...........use your good karma and think with me ..... 'Tom, go get Lindsey'

Yes Tom, go through a huge high profile divorce from someone who you are in love with and clearly gets you, and date someone you don't even know.

Actually it was a very bad throw, considering how much time he got, how there was no pressure on him, how wide open Welker was, and how far the safety was from Welker.
Speaking of rookie QBs, a lot of them would had thrown the ball close to Welker's chest, sure completion. Elisha would make that throw close to Welker's chest 100 times out of 100.

I thought the play was on Welker because he didn't sit in the zone. He saw clear sailing up ahead for a TD and he turned upfield, his back was to Brady. He should have settled himself long before the ball got there to secure the catch, but he was looking to score a TD.

Similarly, Brady could have had a 10 yard gain over the middle to a wide open Hernandez, but he diagnosed the Giants being out of kilter before the play started, and Wes was open, so he went for it.

When you have a lead late in the game, you should ONLY go for the sure thing, IMO.

In the Superbowl against a good defense, you better be able to throw the football deep downfield to your tight end and not underthrow it to an ancient linebacker for an interception, especially in the fourth quarter.

It was 50 yards downfield and Brady couldn't set himself to throw. He was on the move when he launched it, and got hit hard the second he released. If he had set himself to throw better, he never would have got the ball off at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST