Welcome to PatsFans.com

WELKER: " I let the team down "

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by MrNathanDrake, Feb 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 3 / -1

My Jersey:

#95 Jersey
    Wes Welker: 'I let the team down' - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

[​IMG]

i hate to see welker getting beat up over that one. It was a bad pass from Brady.

Welker was WIDE OPEN yet Brady tried throwing to the back shoulder. Welker then had to readjust his whole body and was off balance due to the bad throw. There was no need for that. It isn't like Welker dropped an easy pass.

Even if he had caught it, there's no guarantee he would've held onto it as he was falling to the ground.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  2. ensoul

ensoul Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Was not a great pass but like I said in a post before: Welker makes that catches all the time so I think it is taken for granted that he should make it every time. The pats had every chance to end game on defense by making stops and they could not. You can ALWAYS point to one play and say "That is the play that cost the team the game!" The game did not end on on that play.
  3. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It's a team loss - and even those plays (the miss to Hernandez as well) illustrate that - the Giants D Line was putting pressure on Brady, and yes, he was throwing off balance and rushed and it wasn't perfect.

But Wes is just doing what this team - and its fans - so often do... no excuses... don't blame the officials, don't blame injuries - various components of the team didn't make the plays when they needed to do so

It was a great game, and was completely competitive, even without some key healthy players, right through the final minute, where we were also treated to yet another great strategic move by Belichick to let the Giants score to get the ball back.
  4. matt9071

matt9071 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

I cant blame Wes for that its a tough catch. If anyone deserves a mistake its him. ugggh it hurts watching that play though I was certain he had it when I saw it live.
  5. Perfection08

Perfection08 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He probably should have caught it, and it would have been a phenomenal catch if he did. I feel for Wes. He's been one of my favorite Pats since he came here. I hope they open the bank for him, he's earned it.
  6. Bella*chick

Bella*chick Addicted to the light

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Looking at the pass I feel worse because he catches that kind of pass ALL the time.

I feel for him, I really do, but I can't help but think "Good, you SHOULD be beating yourself up."

That said, I want him back. We don't spot the Giants 9 points and none of this BS is an issue.
  7. navydaze

navydaze Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

He pretty much blew it. Sorry its a fact. Its just like Lebron, you can have all the regular season stats you want. But when it comes to crunch time you just didn't get it done. He's a free agent this year, do yourselves a favor and let the overrated midget go. The only reason he even has the stats he does is cause of your phenomenal hall of fame QB. It's no coincidence he was a journey man before he got to New England. He's a slow midget with good hands...not gonna win you a superbowl..and he cost you this one...thats right ....he did.....its time to part ways. :snob:
  8. Bella*chick

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Um, not really. What we need is someone to take Ocho's place and maybe Branch's as well.

I really hope Welker considers all this during these contract negotiations though.
  9. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Interesting how last night's game might be viewed as coming down, among other things, to two plays, both on balls that were a little misthrown.

Brady makes Welker rotate his body just a little more than he normally would so it's hard for him to secure the ball as he falls to the ground; he doesn't.

Manning makes Manningham catch a ball a little out of stride and a little too close to the OB line so its hard for him to secure the ball and keep two feet in bounds; he does.

As Belichick is fond of saying, big games come down to a few plays.
  10. PatsFan2

PatsFan2 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

What a contrast between plays...i felt like i got kicked in the nuts.:mad:
  11. crowell33

crowell33 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Welker turns 31 before the season. Historically the Patriots don't give large contracts to non QB players on the wrong side of 30. The drop makes it even harder.

Its nothing personal with Welker. Unless Bill Buckner can play shortstop, right field, be a #4 or a #5 starter, or maybe even close games, I don't want him on the Red Sox either. :rolleyes:
  12. strongside

strongside Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Just shows that no matter how bad we as fans feel, Wes is feeling a whole lot worse right not.

Not a perfect pass but should have had it. I just hate that a guy who works as hard as welker does didn't bear the fruits of his work on that play.
  13. BigHoss28

BigHoss28 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

First of all, Welker had space but wasn't "wide open." There WERE three defenders within 5 or so yards of him, still not the easiest throw to make. Don't make it out like he was running free with nobody around him and Brady could have just lobbed it and Welker could have run under it.

It wasn't a good throw, but it wasn't a horrible throw either. It was a throw that did give Welker a chance to make a play. Not all throws are going to be perfect, especially with pressure. The ball got there, hit Welker in the hands and he dropped it. It wouldn't have been an easy catch, but it's one he could have and should have made. Just like it wasn't a perfect throw, but it was one Brady could have and should have made.

Neither Brady nor Welker succeeded in making the play, stop trying to blame it on one or the other. Both guys messed up.

These teams played exactly how we all should have expected them to. The breaks bounced in the Giants favor... The game came down to a few key areas, some of them individual plays. Steve Weatherford was a big part of it too, plus the Giants recovering their two fumbles.

Let's stop the witch hunts.
  14. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

A little OT, but you're a new poster and I have to decide whether to take your posts seriously or just blow by them with a passing glance.

Why do you have to use the word "midget?" You actually use it twice.

I'm 6'4" (though I'm sure you're taller, otherwise I might think you're a...well, you know...), so this isn't a result of any insecurity I might have in that regard, but I find that posters who feel they have to denigrate someone in addition to making what might be legitimate comments on a player or game usually don't have that much to say and are masking a lack of understanding of the game and its finer points with insults.
  15. MassPats38

MassPats38 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Nice first post! The great quality of a post like that is your subsequent posts can only improve.

Return to posting on the Giants board, and complain when the Giants suffer the next three-year hangover it will likely endure after winning this.
  16. RhodyPatriot

RhodyPatriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

No you didn't Wes. That required a circus catch because the ball was poorly thrown.
    The Patriots will win another Super Bowl when they go back to running a traditional offense. When the Patriots can put their QB under center, put one or two RB's in the backfield, huddled up after every play and march down the field eating up clock and getting at least a FG they will win another SB.
    This current offense is INCAPABLE of playing traditional hard nosed offensive football. INCAPABLE. They will not win another SB untill they change their current philosophy.
    It's a sad commentary that the only time this current offense is effective is when they go hurry up no huddle. It's a gimmick offense and it's why they struggle against good defenses.
  17. Bella*chick

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Oh, gimme a break, he said himself he's caught that ball a thousand times before.

In the Superbowl against a good defense, I'm sorry, but you better be able to catch a ball that hits you on both hands if you want to be paid as an elite receiver.
  18. BigHoss28

BigHoss28 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

In case you hadn't noticed, 50% of the playoff teams this year were in the bottom half of the league in rushing. The team that just won the Super Bowl ranked dead last in rushing this year and had a whopping 109 yards rushing yesterday.
  19. Kjmass1

Kjmass1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

For an incapable offense, I'll take them going to the Superbowl any day. Why don't you ask any of the other 31 teams in the league if they would like to switch offenses and have the Patriots' one?
  20. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

It was not a great pass, but when you see the Giants come up with miracle catch after miracle catch, you hope beyond all hope that Wes could have come up with THAT one.
  21. brdmaverick

brdmaverick Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

To me, the game is ALL about THIS play (Brady/Welker incompletion).

The last game was all about the Tyree catch.
  22. Patriot Missile

Patriot Missile Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 1 / -0

My Jersey:

#75 Jersey
    No, you didn't let this team down Wes Welker. You elevated this team all season creating match up nightmares and helped our te's set records. Chin up and do what you do next season. Maybe they will add the deep threat you've been looking for on the outside and you can further wreck more havoc net year?
  23. condon84

condon84 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This is what it basically came down to between two evenly matched teams. Welker couldn't hold on to a tough pass that Manningham was able to complete. Both teams played evenly up to this sequence of events. This is what is different about our recent Patriot teams compared to the teams we had winning SBs. Those teams made the critical plays to win the biggest game that we haven't been able to make since 04.
  24. letekro

letekro Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

This is it in a nutshell. Maybe it's just the averaging out of things over the long haul. We certainly had some good fortune in all of the games in 2001, against Tennessee in 2003 (Drew Bennett drop), against San Diego in 2006 (Hello Marlon McCree). Now we are regressing to the mean, and maybe a little bit past the mean.
  25. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

Bullroar. He said it himself. It's a catch he's made a lot. Not easy, but made.

As for the rest of your post, it's getting old reading the same thing from you in multiple threads. Why don't you go to school.
  26. PatsFanSince74

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -1

My Jersey:

He doesn't know what he's talking about. He's made that clear in several other threads as well. Leave him alone.
  27. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

#12 Jersey
    Well, he's not wrong. However you guys felt about Asante after SB42, the consistent thing would be to feel the same way about Welker now.
  28. Stoke city patriots

Stoke city patriots Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

You'd put your house on Welker making that catch, yeah its not into his body but it wasn't way off. Big mistake by Welker but these things happen. He didn't cost us either we made plenty of mistakes as a team last night that cost us.

A confident Welker is crucial for our chances next year.
  29. Dessalines

Dessalines Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

Sucks to be a PATS fan this morning, doesn't it?

This was one play in an entire game. Wes was not the only Patriot on the field to have a let down or failure. Wes has been lights out for us for years and we need to remember that and forget this. I think that if you live by lousy defense, you eventually die by it and so we did. We needed a stop and couldn't buy one. This is not to say the defense did not play well, they did but not in the critical moments.

Get 'em next year?
  30. sieglo

sieglo Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

My Jersey:

All I can say or even think about this is:

**** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** **** ****
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.