PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome Alfonzo Dennard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but it was only Dennard who threw the punch.

I remember watching that bowl game and I was surprised Jeffery got tossed. I've seen lots of shoving after the whistle before with no ejections.

At least he held his own and didn't get an embarrassing beatdown like Finnegan.:cool:

Yeah, but it was only Dennard who threw the punch.

I remember watching that bowl game and I was surprised Jeffery got tossed. I've seen lots of shoving after the whistle before with no ejections.

Yea, someone posted the video in this thread. Dennard was pushing him after the play ended and Jeffery pushed back then Dennard threw the punch. Both were stupid, but Dennard instigated the whole thing.

Can he be our #1 kickoff return man?

He was decent at it as a freshman at Nebraska. Presumably after that he was deemed too important as a defender.

Alfonzo Dennard - Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

2008 (Freshman)
Dennard was one of three true freshmen to see action, playing in 12 games, primarily on special teams. Dennard formed an explosive kickoff return combination with Niles Paul, and had eight returns for 150 yards, an average of 18.8 yards per return. He had a 29-yard return against Colorado and a season-long 31-yarder vs. Clemson in the Gator Bowl.

Last edited:
Can he be our #1 kickoff return man?

He was decent at it as a freshman at Nebraska. Presumably after that he was deemed too important as a defender.

Alfonzo Dennard - Huskers.com - Nebraska Athletics Official Web Site

2008 (Freshman)
Dennard was one of three true freshmen to see action, playing in 12 games, primarily on special teams. Dennard formed an explosive kickoff return combination with Niles Paul, and had eight returns for 150 yards, an average of 18.8 yards per return. He had a 29-yard return against Colorado and a season-long 31-yarder vs. Clemson in the Gator Bowl.

They get it at the 20 if they put a knee down in the endzone, right?
With an average of 18.8, I'd rather take the 20.

TY Hilton had a 30-yard kick return average.

Love this comment: "The vikings need to pick this guy up. I took 4 police officers to get him the the ground I like that tenacity."

He is a bad apple but one that we need. We need guys like this with that kind of tenacity. We seems to be too soft. He looks like a fighter. Lets coach discipline into him and hope for the best.

people have to stop saying the Tavon Wilson pick was bad, especially without him ever playing a snap in this league. of course the pats could have traded down but maybe BB couldn't find a trading partner at the time. He had to make a snap decision, with only one other pick left in the draft AT THE TIME. he had to decide basically, do we take him way early or let San Diego or Atlanta or other teams take him in the later rounds when we don't even have a draft pick? Apparently the coaching staff watched a lot of film on this kid, so there is something in him that they liked and we just have to see.

You have to stop saying Hightower and Jones were good picks.

I mean, they haven't played a snap!

stats are funny

Woodhead's return average was the same as Devin Hester's: 21.9

2011 NFL Player Returning Stats - National Football League - ESPN

Woodhead is a fine returner, our ST blocking on KR is atrocious. Woodhead usually makes 2 or 3 people miss within 10 yards of catching the ball. The fact that his average is that high is absolutely incredible given what the field in front of him so often looks like.

Danny doesn't have the straight line speed to be a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it, but he isn't the problem with our KR unit.

Last edited:
Well, at least people are consistent. Tavon Wilson was a bad pick because the media predicted he'd go in the sixth, and Alfonzo Dennard is a great pick because he was mocked to go in the first.

And there are comparisons to Darrelle Revis as a press corner.

It was not too long ago that Ernest Shazor, a physical first-team Big 10 and All-American safety who was projected as a first round grade by the majority of scouting publications, went completely undrafted. Downfall? Combine 40 time was too slow. Could keep up with college receivers enough so that his toughness and instincts could come into play. Did not project to the NFL at all.

The difference between a college press corner and an NFL press corner is immense. NFL receivers are more mature and better at getting off the line, and faster getting by you when they do. Darrelle Revis was the first corner off the board in 2007 because he was a 6' press corner with 4.37 speed at the combine. That is bona fide NFL recovery speed. He can lose the battle at the line and still stay with a wide receiver in man coverage.

Alfonzo Dennard ran a 4.55 official combine time, and the lowest I've seen is 4.51 with a stopwatch. He is also 5' 10", not 6'. He does not have recovery speed. He is going to have to be very good at jamming people, otherwise he's looking at a possible move to safety. Maybe he's a Chad Scott red-zone corner but, again, Chad Scott was tall at 6'1".

People have talked about Dennard's struggles at the Senior Bowl in Cover 2. Cover 2 can be played a few different ways, but the standard way is to have the corner sit at five yards and jam the outside shoulder of the wide receiver in space at that location, to (1) knock him off his timing route if its a quick one, like a slant or hitch or such and (2) keep him from getting a free outside release on the Cover 2 safety. Dennard apparently struggled jamming in space against elitle college players.

I think his struggles jamming in space at the Senior Bowl, plus his slow 40 times, are more important in explaining his fall than his noted pugilistic instincts. They paint the picture of a great college player whose game is very dangerous at the NFL level. He's probably not going to get any faster, so the Pats had better hope he can learn to be physical in space, otherwise he doesn't really have a place on the football field.

I think of him more as a slot corner, with his size and toughness good for handling the Welkers of the world, not the Megatrons deep on the outside.

As such he gives competition to Arrington, more than McCourty or Ras-I. Occasionally, I can see him filing in for a Safety when a better DB is needed, there depending on matchups. He is much better than the typical average nickle or dime.

His game is NOT the game that Tavon was drafted to play though.

I agree. Hill comes from a triple option offense. He has a lot to learn about a Pro style offense. I wonder if he can take on the double team which he rarely saw in a triple option offense. He has questions about his hands and he didn't catch the ball all that much in college.

Until Hill can show he can adapt to the pros and run routes, I am not worried about him. He is a boom or bust prospect.

Steven Hill came out of nowhere and climbed the draft ratings at the Combine. At this point, he is a Combine "workout warrior". There must be some that succeeded, I just can't think of one.

The Patriots think highly of THEIR scouting staff...Big Ten scouts have nothinbg to do with this pick...

Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio and director of college scouting Jon Robinson -- along with another club -- worked him out privately.

The Patriots worked him out...the Patriots DID their homework...the Patriots looked at all the safety talent in this draft and determined, through meticulous study and using THEIR metrics, that THIS player is the type of safety they wanted in this draft.

All these bullcrap reactions by thunderstruck stuffed shirt blowhards is just that....bullcrap.

I have to agree.

Assuming he gets off lightly on the charge, he has a real chance to show how he has turned his life around.

And as a 7th round pick with 1st round talent he has a HUGE incentive to fly straight and produce his way to a new contract sooner rather than later.

I think Dennard is going to have every opportunity to compete for a starting position and produce and I don't think it's a stretch to suggest he could be a major contributor for this draft class.

I'm going to judge this guy from what he does moving forward, not solely on the past.

If this guy wants it bad enough, he could be the type of DB that receivers truly fear... a hard hitting Rodney Harrison type prescience that can really be key for a dominating defense.

It's just a question of whether he's willing to work for it.

Last edited:
At least he held his own and didn't get an embarrassing beatdown like Finnegan.:cool:

He got AJ out of the game. He already won.

If Dennard is anything like Finnegan ( a tough,pain in the ass to play against,a fight for 60 minutes type of guy) then i'm happy.

I couldn't care less whether he is a nice guy or not(we have too many nice guys as is)...as long as he stays out of trouble.

Odds are he will plead to a lesser charge with no jail time. I can't say I am not concerned about this and I don't like having players with severe character issues like violent crimes, but this seems like a drunken isolated incident. I am going to be cautiously optimistic that it is.

Where do you get this idea? He punched a police officer and resisted arrest in Lincoln NE.

Whose interests do you think the DA and the Judge are going to put first? The 22-year-old kid who is moving away to play a game who punched a police officer in the face or the local public safety officer and the community?

There is no reason to do anything but make an example of this guy and send a strong signal to the community that bar brawls and assaults on police won't be tolerated.

I hate this draft pick - completely unnecessary.

I think he gets a first degree grade as in:

"New England Patriot Alfonzo Dennard was sentenced to three years in the Nebraska State Penitentiary for first degree assault on a Lincoln NE police officer today..."

Yikes!

Do you have a source that the 3rd degree was changed to a 1st degree
charge or are you just throwing out crap?

I think his struggles jamming in space at the Senior Bowl, plus his slow 40 times, are more important in explaining his fall than his noted pugilistic instincts. They paint the picture of a great college player whose game is very dangerous at the NFL level. He's probably not going to get any faster, so the Pats had better hope he can learn to be physical in space, otherwise he doesn't really have a place on the football field.

This is a great analysis - but I don't know if it's 100% fair to Alfonzo Dennard.

For starters, his 40 time of 4.51 is only .3 seconds slower than what McCourty ran at the combine, and Dennard has been banged up this year.

Second, Dennard has some skills that do definitely translate to pros. He's got really great leaping ability and times his jumps perfectly. So even if he's a little slow (and that's debatable), he makes up for it downfield.

But your overall point could be right. I'm not 100% sure either how he fits in. Scouts say he projects to slot - but are his hips & feet quick enough? I'm not sure. I've seen scouting reports cite a great recovery speed, but that doesn't match with a little stiffness that we see on tape.

Bottom line - he's got some holes. But he also does a few things at an elite level that do translate to the NFL. It's up to him and the Pats coaching staff to see what develops of him.

I tend to think the Pats wouldn't waste any pick, even a 7th rounder, on a guy with huge character concerns AND huge question marks on the field. So the conclusion I make is that his drop on the Patriots board was related heavily to the off-field incident as well.

Last edited:
Do you have a source that the 3rd degree was changed to a 1st degree
charge or are you just throwing out crap?
He was just throwing out crap because he hates the pick. Dennard hasn't been found guilty, let alone sentenced, as the hater suggested.

This is a great analysis - but I don't know if it's 100% fair to Alfonzo Dennard.

For starters, his 40 time of 4.51 is only .3 seconds slower than what McCourty ran at the combine, and Dennard has been banged up this year.

And to be 100% fair, as several other posters have emphasized, Dennard may have been gimpy when he did the majority of his workouts. So who knows. He may be or get a little faster than what he timed at. Maybe he was faster for the Patriots went they worked him out. He timed what he timed at the combine, and played how he played in zone at the Senior Bowl, so it would still explain his dropping stock in general, but there's hope there.

But then again, the fact that Dennard got injured as soon as he was subjected to top-tier competition at the Senior Bowl could also be a sign that he is athletically challenged at the NFL level, to the point where he is an injury risk due to him having to overplay and overextend himself to compete.

Bottom line - he's got some holes. But he also does a few things at an elite level that do translate to the NFL. It's up to him and the Pats coaching staff to see what develops of him.

I tend to think the Pats wouldn't waste any pick, even a 7th rounder, on a guy with huge character concerns AND huge question marks on the field. So the conclusion I make is that his drop on the Patriots board was related heavily to the off-field incident as well.

Willie Andrews was drafted in the 7th round despite being (a) not a particularly good safety and (b) having a checkered past, including a gun charge while already on two-year probation. Andrews was a ST ace while Dennard doesn't seem to be that, of course, but it's still an example of the Pats willing to take a minimal risk for a guy with an exceptional characteristic or two (physicality with Dennard, speed with Andrews).

See also: Brandon Deaderick, P. K. Sam.

And we can always take heart from the fact that, even if Dennard is only something like the 14th best CB this year (according to NFLDraftScout), the 113th best CB last year (Sterling Moore) still was able to perform yeoman service for this team, and the 68th best CB of 2008 (Kyle Arrington) tied for league lead in interceptions. And Sterling Moore ran a 4.54 at his Pro Day.

Willie Andrews was drafted in the 7th round despite being (a) not a particularly good safety and (b) having a checkered past, including a gun charge while already on two-year probation. Andrews was a ST ace while Dennard doesn't seem to be that, of course, but it's still an example of the Pats willing to take a minimal risk for a guy with an exceptional characteristic or two (physicality with Dennard, speed with Andrews).

See also: Brandon Deaderick, P. K. Sam.

Good points. That's fair. But I'll still say there is some reason for hope that he can live up some of the earlier projections on his potential. That said, I'll agree with you there being reasons for his drop greater than the bar fight as you pointed out in your last post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
Back