PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Welcome Alfonzo Dennard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate this draft pick - completely unnecessary.

You are right, a 7th round pick on a player who could have gone in the late 1st if not for his incident!

What can you not like? If he pans out, we get a steal! If he doesn't, he gets cut and was only a 7th!

You aren't related to the officer are you? :rolleyes:

He was just throwing out crap because he hates the pick. Dennard hasn't been found guilty, let alone sentenced, as the hater suggested.

It's a 3rd degree felony assault charge - not first degree as someone else suggested

The charge is serious, however, as a third degree felony carries a penalty of up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine

I'm not a lawyer but if there is a prison sentence my hope would be it would be brief, if it were required at all, assuming he pleads guilty to a lesser charge (if that's even possible since it invovled a police officer - which might make it impossible to reduce it to a misdemeanor)

No doubt he is going to have a ton of community service to carry out - which isn't a bad thing. My guess is it may come down to whether the judge wants to make an example out of a high profile case.

It's a risk to be sure - but what's really at risk? So we lose a 7th round pick? No big deal.

The upside is huge if he's not in prison and can practice and play, he's got 1st round talent.

Even if he winds up getting convicted and does prison time you can't fault taking a chance with a 7th round pick.

Last edited:
He was just throwing out crap because he hates the pick. Dennard hasn't been found guilty, let alone sentenced, as the hater suggested.

You're right it is 3rd degree assault. And no he hasn't been convicted. Here is the AP news story:

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Nebraska's outgoing star cornerback Alfonzo Dennard has been arrested after a disturbance outside a Lincoln bar.

Capt. Jason Stille says the 22-year-old Dennard was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of assault of a police officer, third-degree assault and resisting arrest. He's being held in the Lancaster County jail.

Stille says officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside The Hour Lounge about 2:15 a.m. Saturday. That's when police say Dennard punched an officer in the head. Stille says Dennard was arrested after a struggle with four officers.

Dennard, a senior, is projected to be as high as a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft.

A message left Saturday for a Nebraska athletic official wasn't immediately returned.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Dennard faces three charges and four of the witnesses are police officers. That can't be good for your favorite pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

You're right it is 3rd degree assault. And no he hasn't been convicted. Here is the AP news story:

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) - Nebraska's outgoing star cornerback Alfonzo Dennard has been arrested after a disturbance outside a Lincoln bar.

Capt. Jason Stille says the 22-year-old Dennard was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of assault of a police officer, third-degree assault and resisting arrest. He's being held in the Lancaster County jail.

Stille says officers tried to break up a fight between Dennard and a 22-year-old man outside The Hour Lounge about 2:15 a.m. Saturday. That's when police say Dennard punched an officer in the head. Stille says Dennard was arrested after a struggle with four officers.

Dennard, a senior, is projected to be as high as a second-round pick in next week's NFL draft.

A message left Saturday for a Nebraska athletic official wasn't immediately returned.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Dennard faces three charges and four of the witnesses are police officers. That can't be good for your favorite pick in the 2012 NFL Draft.

OK some questions here.
suspicion of assault of a police officer,
( seems they are not sure it was him that hit the officer and if it was
it seems it was not intentional )

third-degree assault
(on who? the other kid in the fight?)

and resisting arrest.

(how much resistance?)

Then is this the first time Dennard has had assault charges?
If this is his first appearance in court does he get a second chance
like some sort of probation?

I believe the PATs really looked into this before they made the pick and
were in contact with the people involved. I believe Dennard will be
in TC when it starts.

And we can always take heart from the fact that, even if Dennard is only something like the 14th best CB this year (according to NFLDraftScout), the 113th best CB last year (Sterling Moore) still was able to perform yeoman service for this team, and the 68th best CB of 2008 (Kyle Arrington) tied for league lead in interceptions. And Sterling Moore ran a 4.54 at his Pro Day.

For what it's worth, at the end of last year Dennard was listed as the 2nd best corner prospect by NFLDRAFTSCOUT (behind Dre Kirkpatrick I believe) and something like the 7th best prospect overall. After last year it was basically a lock that both he and Jared Crick (Nebraska DE) would be early to mid 1st rounders.

Kid is a beast, i cannot believe he was still there at 7! Only the arrest stopped him going high but otherwise he was gone A LONG time ago.

Fantastic pick and looking forward to seeing him play.

cop killa

OK, seriously, after someone tells him "Don't punch cops," and he keeps his aggression on the field...

So, what do you get for punching a policeofficer ? Jailtime I presume ?
That and you gotta wonder if Goodell, in his tiny mind, figures stuff from before the guy was in the NFL is the NFL's purview.

It's a 3rd degree felony assault charge - not first degree as someone else suggested

The charge is serious, however, as a third degree felony carries a penalty of up to 5 years in prison and a $10,000 fine

I'm not a lawyer but if there is a prison sentence my hope would be it would be brief, if it were required at all, assuming he pleads guilty to a lesser charge (if that's even possible since it invovled a police officer - which might make it impossible to reduce it to a misdemeanor)

No doubt he is going to have a ton of community service to carry out - which isn't a bad thing. My guess is it may come down to whether the judge wants to make an example out of a high profile case.

It's a risk to be sure - but what's really at risk? So we lose a 7th round pick? No big deal.

The upside is huge if he's not in prison and can practice and play, he's got 1st round talent.

Even if he winds up getting convicted and does prison time you can't fault taking a chance with a 7th round pick.

If he has "priors", then it will be tougher for him to get a lighter sentence.
I think if he does head to prison, even for 1yr, I would believe Patriots would
cut him..

I did read that BillB went to Kraft, for his blessing on potentially drafting Dennard.

OK some questions here.
suspicion of assault of a police officer,
( seems they are not sure it was him that hit the officer and if it was
it seems it was not intentional )

third-degree assault
(on who? the other kid in the fight?)

and resisting arrest.

(how much resistance?)

Then is this the first time Dennard has had assault charges?
If this is his first appearance in court does he get a second chance
like some sort of probation?

I believe the PATs really looked into this before they made the pick and
were in contact with the people involved. I believe Dennard will be
in TC when it starts.

Yeah, the whole suspicion of hitting an officer sounds very suspicious....

"corner safety or nickel"

I like! :D the more versatility in the secondary the better.

Yeah, the whole suspicion of hitting an officer sounds very suspicious....

If the Pats thought he was a super bad kid, they would not have selected him. Clearly he has some baggage thus why his draft status and stock as an NFL prospect depreciated. It sounds like there is some confusion surrounding the assault charge that needs to be vetted out in court. That may have been a factor in the Pat's decision-making process.

Either way the Pats blew a 7th rd pick on a kid that by all accounts is a 2nd round talent. If he becomes Ty Law great. If he becomes Earthwind Moreland oh well.

If the Pats thought he was a super bad kid, they would not have selected him. Clearly he has some baggage thus why his draft status and stock as an NFL prospect depreciated. It sounds like there is some confusion surrounding the assault charge that needs to be vetted out in court. That may have been a factor in the Pat's decision-making process.

Either way the Pats blew a 7th rd pick on a kid that by all accounts is a 2nd round talent. If he becomes Ty Law great. If he becomes Earthwind Moreland oh well.

None of us can complain with using a 7th on this guy. Was surprised and impressed by his selection as he actually made my last mock draft.

I look forward to his contributions in our nickel defense and will be happy with anything else he can contribute on top of that.

If he has "priors", then it will be tougher for him to get a lighter sentence.
I think if he does head to prison, even for 1yr, I would believe Patriots would
cut him..

I did read that BillB went to Kraft, for his blessing on potentially drafting Dennard.

prison could be a useful shadow roster

"corner safety or nickel"

I like! :D the more versatility in the secondary the better.

I disagree. I would take Rodney Harrison who couldnt play even FS or Ty Law a pure CB over all those tweeners .

Meriweather was the full package at secondary, could play all positions...

Too bad he plays all the positions bad.

I disagree. I would take Rodney Harrison who couldnt play even FS or Ty Law a pure CB over all those tweeners .

Meriweather was the full package at secondary, could play all positions...

Too bad he plays all the positions bad.

In one of the signature games of the Patriots 03 defense, the Pats swapped Law and Rodney so Ty was playing safety and Harrison was playing corner. It crossed up Peyton so much they only scored three points.

They were "pure" players because they excelled at that particular spot, but their VERSATILITY shut down one of the best offenses of the decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back