PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 6 at Seattle Seahawks.... piece of cake, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep Brady upright and we win I think. The overconfidence of Seahawks fans is hilarious. They're drunk off their team's koolaid.
Run the ball on the Seattle defensive line. The Packers made that adjustment and it worked. Unfortunately for the Packers, they moved away from that because Rodgers has to throw the ball 80 times a game.

Seattle can be beaten. It won't be easy, but it can be done. The Patriots have beaten better defenses away from home in the past.

This game will be determined by the Patriots D. If they play well, the Pats win.

Last edited:
To be fair that was all in one half. Once the packers figured them out, the hawks got owned. Hopefully Vollmers injury isn't too serious. Cannon against them does scare me.
Actually, once the Packers figured out that they could Hold and not get called for it, we didn't get any more sacks......And without a phantom PI the Packers likely don't score their only TD. (Not that there weren't PI calls/no-calls that went OUR way later).

Having said all of this, the Pat's make more use of shorter drops for the QB and quicker plays....that will likely limit sacks by the Hawks.....and I'd expect the Pats to use motion with Welker to keep him free of press coverage at the line. I also wouldn't count on racking up as many running yards as you guys have been lately - we've been stout against just about everybody since about week 5 of last year. Heck, while Carolina isn't a very good team, they've had a DOMINANT rushing attack this year....and we held them to 190 TOTAL yards on the road yesterday.

Actually, once the Packers figured out that they could Hold and not get called for it, we didn't get any more sacks......And without a phantom PI the Packers likely don't score their only TD. (Not that there weren't PI calls/no-calls that went OUR way later).

Having said all of this, the Pat's make more use of shorter drops for the QB and quicker plays....that will likely limit sacks by the Hawks.....and I'd expect the Pats to use motion with Welker to keep him free of press coverage at the line. I also wouldn't count on racking up as many running yards as you guys have been lately - we've been stout against just about everybody since about week 5 of last year. Heck, while Carolina isn't a very good team, they've had a DOMINANT rushing attack this year....and we held them to 190 TOTAL yards on the road yesterday.
Don't misrepresent this as an attack against the Seattle D because I believe they're an elite unit, but when you've got Cam Newton as the QB, who can't read a defense to save his life, it makes it somewhat easier to sell out on defending either the pass or the run.

I'm genuinely interested to see the Patriots OL go against the Seahawks DL.

Run the ball on the Seattle defensive line. The Packers made that adjustment and it worked. Unfortunately for the Packers, they moved away from that because Rodgers has to throw the ball 80 times a game.

Seattle can be beaten. It won't be easy, but it can be done. The Patriots have beaten better defenses away from home in the past.

This game will be determined by the Patriots D. If they play well, the Pats win.

It wasn't the running so much that worked for the Pack - it was the quick screens and quick tosses....I realize this fits somewhat into what the Pats do, so I'm not saying it won't work....but simply running the ball on the Hawks defensive line will likely frustrate the heck out of you guys....because we are really good against the run.

Just look at what the Seahawks have done thus far this year ...

Yesterday, the Seahawks absolutely destroyed Steve Smith (one of the best WR's in all of the game over the past several years). Smith got only 4 catches for 40 yards and was a complete non-factor in that game. His "holding" penalty against Sherman (in which he looked more like a Pro Wrestler) was the result of total frustration on his part. And that was on the road mind you. Well, Smith is 5'9" 185 pounds -- the exact same size as Wes Welker. Think Sherman, Browner, and crew can't do the same thing to the Pats leading WR as well -- AT HOME?

Brandon Lloyd is a guy who has some recent history against Seattle. In 2010 as a member of the Broncos, Lloyd had 3 catches for 53 yards on 9/19 and really, was a non-factor in that game. Last year with the Rams, he caught 5 balls for 67 yards and a TD on 11/20 (the Hawks won 24-7) ... and 5 balls for 82 yards on 12/12 (the Hawks won 30-13). Lloyd has put up respectable numbers ... but he certainly hasn't been a true difference maker in any of the recent games he's played against us. Heck, the Hawks secondary just limited Jordy Nelson (who ended last season as the 9th best WR) to 19 yards on 2 catches. Brandon Lloyd can provide some match-up problems for opposing secondaries ... but he's no Jordy Nelson.

At 6'6" 265 pounds ... Rob Gronkowski is certainly a guy who could potentially be problematic [he ended last season with 1,263 yards -- the 6th most receiving yards]. That said, the Hawks just limited Jason Witten (6'6" 261 pounds) to 4 catches and 58 yards ... and Jermichael Finley (6'5" 247 pounds) to 4 catches and 60 yards. Those are 2 of the best TE's in the game.

Given that Seattle is giving up a paltry 66.6 Rushing Yards/Game [3rd Best in the NFL] AND that this game is being played in the CLINK ... I very much like our chances.

This is hilarious to me. Steve Smith and Welker are completely different players. Jordy Nelson has been crap all season and Gronk is twice the TE of witten and jerinjuryprone finley.

Don't misrepresent this as an attack against the Seattle D because I believe they're an elite unit, but when you've got Cam Newton as the QB, who can't read a defense to save his life, it makes it somewhat easier to sell out on defending either the pass or the run.

I'm genuinely interested to see the Patriots OL go against the Seahawks DL.
We're great against the run and great in Man coverage down the field - the underneath will likely be open though for the types of slants and stuff you guys usually feast on...but we've got some very heavy hitters who have been punishing some of those recievers and have gotten into their heads as each game has progressed and led to some uncharacteristic drops (Witten, Jordy Nelson,Steve Smith and more had either drops of catches or holding up completely on receptions that they usually make). We'll see - it should definitely be an entertaining game.

It wasn't the running so much that worked for the Pack - it was the quick screens and quick tosses....I realize this fits somewhat into what the Pats do, so I'm not saying it won't work....but simply running the ball on the Hawks defensive line will likely frustrate the heck out of you guys....because we are really good against the run.
I don't deny the Seahawks have an excellent D and a very good run defense but Seattle has played the following teams -

Code:
            [B]Average     Rank[/B]
Arizona      63 yards   31
Dallas       68 yards   29
Green Bay    95 yards   20
St.Louis     94 yards   22
Carolina    114 yards   14

The Seahawks haven't been facing elite run units. I understand they are capable of shutting down an O, thus my comment about seeing the Seattle DL vs the Patriots OL. It should be engaging.

They seem to think because they have a tall safety Gronk isn't going to be a factor because he's only good because of his size...not actual football ability.

Actually, we seem to think that because we have a tall safety who brings some boom to his hits, that Gronk may think twice about making some catches...It has happened with Witten and Finley so far. Gronk will definitely be a factor though...there's no doubting that.

Ssssshhhhhhh.... they're listening and watching from the shadows.

The posters over at Seahawks.NET - The Essential Seahawks Community Forum • Index page are incredibly confident about the Seahawks' defense and popping off about how they are going to intimidate the Patriots. I guess that they haven't seen the memo about guys like Mankins, Wilfork, and Mayo.

Their spewing is venomous up there which surprised me. It looks like the Pats game is a coming out party of sorts for them. They are talking like the Seahawks can hold the Pats to 21 points, which would still beat their average of 17 points per game.

This one is getting more interesting.

Last edited:
I don't think the Patriots will have a lot of trouble with Seattle. This team can run and throw the football. They have a great pass rush and with the quick uptempo attack, the rush will settle down but in that stadium, it's hard to communicate on the field. But no way the Tom Brady and the Patriots lose/get outplayed by Russell Wilson. Anything can happen, but I believe the Pats will take care of business.

Pats will have had more issues with denver than seattle when all is said and done

I think a big factor is if Hightower plays honestly. He is a much better player than his replacement in White. With our front of Jones-Wilfork-Love-Ninkovich and with Hightower-Spikes-Mayo behind them i think we have a very formidable run defense.

From there i really think this comes down to the Pats O vs a very good NFL D. We have shown in the past against teams like Pit, Ravens (this year), Jets, kansas and Chicago that when our O is on it just has so many moving parts and hard match ups that its tough to stick with us.

I honestly think that this comes down to Welker, Hernandez and Gronk in the middle of the field and our run game. I just as it stands can't see us taking alot of shots down the field deep as it plays into their tall secondary and strong pass rush's hands.

Should be a great match up for Solder this week, i have noticed he has had some solid games the last few weeks, not elite but very solid.

They keep wanting to bring up the Arizona game. Pretty sure we didn't run any no huddle that game until the end. The replacement refs made it difficult to maintain any offensive rhythm as they couldn't keep up with the speed of the game.

Actually, we seem to think that because we have a tall safety who brings some boom to his hits, that Gronk may think twice about making some catches...It has happened with Witten and Finley so far. Gronk will definitely be a factor though...there's no doubting that.

Gronk doesn't think once nevermind twice. This is the kid that prepared for the NFL by playing zoom with his brothers. I can't him imagine being afraid of any hit.

They keep wanting to bring up the Arizona game. Pretty sure we didn't run any no huddle that game until the end. The replacement refs made it difficult to maintain any offensive rhythm as they couldn't keep up with the speed of the game.

The Cardinals played as good as you can play against the Patriots and on the last play the Patriots could've won (or did win if you ignore the fact the refs robbed Woodhead of the game winning TD). That's say it all.

Hi everyone, first post here.

I do not take this game lightly one bit. The Pats are heading into the hell of all stadiums, against the number 1 defense in the league.

I think I'm most concerned with (in order) are:

1. Our offensive line - it has been banged up, and fairly inconsistent, though it did fare well against the Broncos and Bills pass rushers in the last two games (in the Arizona game Brady was getting sacked left and right). However, playing against Seattle's front seven is a whole new ball of wax. I am truly concerned about TB in this game. The NUMBER 1 priority for this game plan should be protecting TB. Be it by the offensive line providing all the necessary protection, or by going for run plays to take the pressure off of him. If he gets injured/rattled too much, game's over!

2. Establishing a solid run blocking. I don't expect the Pats to light up the scoreboard on this one, and I suspect most of our yards to come through the ground. When you go against the number 3 rush defense you need to make sure your blocking game is as good as your runners, if not better.

3. Establish a good run defense. If they can shut down Marshawn Lynch, this game is pretty much in our pocket (barring any mistakes by our secondary on pass plays). Take the run game out of this team, and their are pretty much done.

4. AGGRESSIVE pass rush! Jones & Ninkovich need to step it up quite bit off the corners. Spikes, Hightower (if available, or Cunningham in his place), and Mayo need to be on full alert for any possible run plays and be ready to shut that down, or worse, chase Wilson down. Russell Wilson has great scrambling abilities. If the initial pass rush fails to miss him immediately following the snap, he will be very tough to chase and bring down. Being a good scrambler out of the pocket, he can buy himself some precious seconds to find an open target. And God knows how even a third string QB can look like Rodgers against our secondary.

5. The secondary needs to come in with their absolute A game. The Seahawk's only hope on the offensive's side is to throw the ball against our lousy secondary. That means no more reacting to the ball, but rather anticipating the ball. That means no more coverage with your back to the ball and your face/hands to the receiver.

If we can bring our absolute A game, and play hard nose downright aggressive game, we can come out with a win (and in the process - shut that nasty crowd down a bit).

Just my .02c :)

I'm actually rather appalled at the level of confidence Seahawks fans have. I'm all for being optimistic about my team, but they're taking homerism to a whole new level.

Wilson is a game manager?
Lynch will torch the Pats run D?
Gronk and Hernandez pose no threat?

They're in for quite the shock then come Sunday.

I think if Russell Wilson put up 300+ yards against us, then it's really time to be concerned.

Hi everyone, first post here.

I do not take this game lightly one bit. The Pats are heading into the hell of all stadiums, against the number 1 defense in the league.

I think I'm most concerned with (in order) are:

1. Our offensive line - it has been banged up, and fairly inconsistent, though it did fare well against the Broncos and Bills pass rushers in the last two games (in the Arizona game Brady was getting sacked left and right). However, playing against Seattle's front seven is a whole new ball of wax. I am truly concerned about TB in this game. The NUMBER 1 priority for this game plan should be protecting TB. Be it by the offensive line providing all the necessary protection, or by going for run plays to take the pressure off of him. If he gets injured/rattled too much, game's over!

Brady got sacked 4 times and he threw 46 times that game. He got sacked 4 times yesterday and the Pats dominated offensively.

Here is a question for you, if the Pats ran the offense they have the last 3 weeks do they lose to the Cardinals?

I mean if Gostkowski makes the FG Pats win that game. Cardinals won that game because they blocked a punt that set them up at the 1. So even with them stopping the reworked Pats offense (Hernandez injury) they still needed a rare play.

Last edited:
I'm actually rather appalled at the level of confidence Seahawks fans have. I'm all for being optimistic about my team, but they're taking homerism to a whole new level.

Will you guys chill out just a little bit? You're acting as though the entire Seahawks fanbase is claiming the Pats are going to be rolled over in Seattle, and that isn't the case at all. Some of the more representative examples of what the majority of people are thinking:

This will be another cardiac game, but I think we have the defensive matchups to win this thing.

We can beat a team like the Panthers with a stupid penalty or 2 (or 7) .. not the Patriots.

The Pats game will be like every other game this year, if the D can give Wilson short fields with turnovers, and Washington can get some nice returns, then we'll have a shot at winning. What I'm worried about is Bill Belichick, he's the best schemer in the league, and believe me he's going to be Wilson's worst nightmare Sunday afternoon.

This team gets taken down by Arizona in their house and we're still supposed to fear the Patriot brand name? No sir. I won't feign confidence that I think we're a lock or anything, but in no way do I go into any Seahawk home game expecting to lose.

Sure, you guys tapped into a homer thread, and read a lot of homer quotes, but every quote I included here is from that very same thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back