PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 6 at Seattle Seahawks.... piece of cake, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key issue will be the health of the OL and the TE's. OL took a beating yesterday, we need those guys to get healthy fast this week.

Two initial thoughts after looking at Pro-Football Reference statistics for the Seahawks:

1) The Seahawks offense does not score points and they turn it over - both of which are very encouraging. The Seahawks' offense is anemic: 17 points per game, 163 ypg passing and their QB rating is 75.2. They are a pretty good rushing team at 140 ypg and Marshawn Lynch is averaging over 105 per game. The Seahawks' offense is exactly the kind that the Patriots' defense can handle.

2) The Seahawks defensive numbers are incredible. Nobody has gained 300 yards total yet this season and they haven't given up more than 80 rushing yards in a game yet. This defense, if for real, is the second coming of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. Their competition includes the Packers, the Cowboys and the Panthers, each of which can hang numbers on the board.

They have yet to see the Patriots, however. We can be sure that Pete Carroll and his coaching staff are looking at a lot of film from the Cardinals game. Still, I do not see the Patriots scoring fewer than 20 on these guys and allowing rookie Russell Wilson to dictate the tempo of this game.

Last edited:
Really hoping that the loud Seattle crowd gets to witness the return of Aaron Hernandez going into Beast Mode along with the other monsters who line up on the same side of the ball as TFB.

Its always the sign of a good thread when the OP starts off with a wild strawman argument to get the ball rolling!

Its the stupid, misplaced arrogance of the football fan that thinks, that just because the offense puts up big points that it automatically becomes repeatable and 'easy'.

It is not.

To be honest, it is this simple minded arrogance, and detachment from reality, that leads the absurd over-reactions when things don't play out the way people like the OP wish them to.

This is going to be a very tough game, against a team (like the Cardinals) that knows how to drag a game down into the gutter - to make it a dog fight rather than a shootout.

Lets not assume that the Patriots are going to march into a very hostile, loud environment and destroy the Seahawks.

Two initial thoughts after looking at Pro-Football Reference statistics for the Seahawks:

1) The Seahawks offense does not score points and they turn it over - both of which are very encouraging. The Seahawks' offense is anemic: 17 points per game, 163 ypg passing and their QB rating is 75.2. They are a pretty good rushing team at 140 ypg and Marshawn Lynch is averaging over 105 per game. The Seahawks' offense is exactly the kind that the Patriots' defense can handle.

2) The Seahawks defensive numbers are incredible. Nobody has gained 300 yards total yet this season and they haven't given up more than 80 rushing yards in a game yet. This defense, if for real, is the second coming of the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. Their competition includes the Packers, the Cowboys and the Panthers, each of which can hang numbers on the board.

They have yet to see the Patriots, however. We can be sure that Pete Carroll and his coaching staff are looking at a lot of film from the Cardinals game. Still, I do not see the Patriots scoring fewer than 20 on these guys and allowing rookie Russell Wilson to dictate the tempo of this game.

The Cardinals tape is about two generations ago. Hopefully, they will look at it.

Matt Cassel led the Pats in a game in Seattle in which they committed zero false starts (and, in fact, zero penalties of any kind).

That was also a 2-10 Seahawks team that was already hopeless, and we eeked out a 24-21 win.

It is rarely if ever an easy place to play.

Week 6 at Seattle Seahawks.... piece of cake, right?

Yes, that is CORRECT.

End of story....

Of course Denver's defense was also one of the best before this week, especially against the run.

The only time I saw Seattle play was against the Pack. What I remember from that game was Rodger's stubborn insistence on throwing the ball deep, although that is what their personnel favors. They also refused to rush the ball in the first have which is what I thought put them in the hole in the first place.

It will be interesting to see how they match up against a two TE offense that works the middle of the field consistently. I think having Ahern would be big for this game.

Of course Denver's defense was also one of the best before this week, especially against the run.

The only time I saw Seattle play was against the Pack. What I remember from that game was Rodger's stubborn insistence on throwing the ball deep, although that is what their personnel favors. They also refused to rush the ball in the first have which is what I thought put them in the hole in the first place.

It will be interesting to see how they match up against a two TE offense that works the middle of the field consistently. I think having Ahern would be big for this game.

I'm not too worried about the O. They might not dominate but I think they will still score points. The game will be on the D and i'll be disappointed if they allow Wilson or whoever is starting to keep it close.

Even before the season started and Seattle coming off a losing season, I had this as one of the 5 toughest games.

West coast travel. Very good defense. Loudest stadium in football.
This game is going to be a very good measure on the maturity level of this Patriots team.

We're pretty much facing the 2009 Jets. Top 2 defense in the league with a joke of passing game combined with a solid running game.

We're pretty much facing the 2009 Jets. Top 2 defense in the league with a joke of passing game combined with a solid running game.

Luckily this Pats team is light years ahead of the Pats team that faced those Jet's defenses.

Heh...that is actually a very good comparison.

That was also a 2-10 Seahawks team that was already hopeless, and we eeked out a 24-21 win.

It is rarely if ever an easy place to play.

Not the point.

The post you are referring to never mentioned the score or the win.

Just that there were zero false starts or (offensive) penalties of any kind due to noise.

Yes, this game will probably be close.

But the noise factor, given how well Belichick and McDaniels (yup, the SAME TWO coaches then) prepped a Matty Cassel - - gives me some assurance that TFB and the offense won't be too unprepared or flustered by the noise.

Last edited:

Sounds like a good matchup for us - - given our only weakness is our secondary.

Luckily this Pats team is light years ahead of the Pats team that faced those Jet's defenses.

The Jets also blitzed a lot to get pressure, the Seahawks gets pressure with their front four.

Tough place top play, menacing defense esp. up front. They remind me more of the Giants def who we always struggle with. Ths flip side is that the offense is not even close to that of the giants and our machup on that side of the ball is more in our favor.

I think running (and staying commited to run) and our def being able to create a turnover or 2 will be the difference.

If we go in and get careless it could be a togh day all around.

Not the point.

The post you are referring to never mentioned the score or the win.

Just that there were zero false starts or (offensive) penalties of any kind due to noise.

Yes, this game will probably be close.

But the noise factor, given how well Belichick and McDaniels (yup, the SAME TWO coaches then) prepped a Matty Cassel - - gives me some assurance that TFB and the offense won't be too unprepared or flustered by the noise.

I understood the point, but I also offer up the opinion that the place was likely an awful lot less noisy/rowdy in support of a 2-10 team (1-5 at home) than it will be in support of a 3-2 team that has been in every game (two 4 pt. losses).

I would agree though that we seem to communicate well in a noisy environment. It's always hard to tell on TV, but @ Baltimore seemed very loud, affecting the refs but not us!

That defense is tough, and that stadium is designed to be NOISY. Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes