PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Week 6 at Seattle Seahawks.... piece of cake, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dunno why, but I see this game in Seattle has pivotal for the rest of the Patriots season. Go in there and execute a good game plan and win, the score be damned, just win. I think that will set a good tone for the rest of the season.

On the other hand, if Seattle shuts em down defensively and wins handily, well that is a whole new deal.........

Good week of week practice and a good game plan combined with the kind of execution they are capable of will bode well, methinks......

Dunno why, but I see this game in Seattle has pivotal for the rest of the Patriots season.

I really don't , just my opinion. Seahawks wont be in the playoffs.

Dunno why, but I see this game in Seattle has pivotal for the rest of the Patriots season. Go in there and execute a good game plan and win, the score be damned, just win. I think that will set a good tone for the rest of the season.

On the other hand, if Seattle shuts em down defensively and wins handily, well that is a whole new deal.........

Good week of week practice and a good game plan combined with the kind of execution they are capable of will bode well, methinks......
I'm interested to see how the Patriots "Oregon" no huddle operates in Seattle competing with the crowd noise.

It will be a very tough game. As they are going away in a loud stadium that is one of the most loudest!

I know overall the hawks run d is very good, are they any weaker at defending the outside runs vs up the middle? I'm trying to jar my memory as to what RB's they've faced so far that might compare to woodhead/bolden trying to get outside.

I would say they're about the same. Someone is occasionally break one either way, but whereas we're strong on the line, we're fast behind it.

I think both teams will be looking at it that way.

I'm interested to see how the Patriots "Oregon" no huddle operates in Seattle competing with the crowd noise.

Did you happen to hear the Branch interview on WEEI this morning? He was asked "How will it affect the no huddle?" ,he responded, "It won't". I believe that article that was posted earlier talked about how when we go no huddle our plays are one word. If we need to audible after the play is called, that's where problems could occur.

Also a hawk fan here. Huge UM fan as well, so have a soft spot for Brady!

To answer this, it seems to depend on the package we have in. I've seen some games with this defense where outside running finds some success, but not often. To be honest, not many games come to mind where an opposing team has had sustained success running the ball. If the pats win this, they win it because Brady finds a weakness in our defense and our offense doesn't have the horses to keep up.

Quick thoughts on the game:
I expect Wilson to throw the ball around 25 times this game as well. You all will obviously try to take away Lynch and that might cost a little in terms of defensive integrity. If the Wilson that played in the second half against Dallas or even in last game shows up, that shouldn't be an issue. Wilson looked good in the pocket last game. He needs a repeat performance.

Can't afford the offensive stagnation we had in the Rams game. If we go three and out multiple times in a row against your offense, we lose. Have to have long drives.

Need a big play from defense or special teams. I can't help but feel that we are slightly outgunned. If we win, I would expect a splash play from outside our offense.

Have to play clean. The penalties we get are stupid. Too many personal fouls. Holds on big plays. I would say a big portion of the reason why we are so pathetic offensively is just poorly timed penalties. Against Carolina, it literally felt like the refs were trying to hose us. Every big Lynch run, you started looking for a flag and the refs never dissapointed. Some of the calls were straight bogus as well. Oh well, payback for GB I suppose.

Need Bruce Irvin and Chris Clemons to come up big. Clemons is 6th, Irvin is 12th in the league in sacks, while seeing limited time, so hopefully we can keep Brady nice and uncomfortable.

CLink is going to be loud. Very loud. As in, playoff loud. Cortez Kennedy, our DT who just got inducted into the HoF, will be raising the 12th man flag for us and it will be electric! I hope a few of you can enjoy the atmosphere of Clink live come sunday!

Thanks for responding! Who do you think will be lined up on Welker? Browner? Trufant? Also, what do you see the hawks doing to keep Gronk in check.

Indeed, ausbacker, that will be interesting to see.... good point! :cool:

Thanks for responding! Who do you think will be lined up on Welker? Browner? Trufant? Also, what do you see the hawks doing to keep Gronk in check.

It depends! Welker should see looks from both Sherman, Browner, and Trufant. Trufant is considered our #3 CB so hopefully not him too often!

I am very worried about Gronkowski. If Newton wasn't too incompetent to find Olsen and hit him consistently against us, that game might have turned out rather differently. All of our three starting linebackers are pretty decent at coverage, Wright has a lot of range, Wagner is fast and is incredibly reliable for a rookie MLB, and Hill was considered the best cover linebacker we had back during our superbowl year when we had Tatupu (pre injuries), Peterson, and him. Honestly, Chancellor, our SS, might be our best one on one matchup with Gronk. He has size and is quite fast for his size, though he lacks the range that Thomas brings on the other side.

Should we destroy the StoolHawks? Yes. Will we? Prolly. Do they scare me? No. Do Banjoes scare me? Only in Tennessee.

heh...."squeal lak a peeg, boy..."

del2-744554.jpg

'You're a very strange man,Mr Von Bulow":)

...you have no idea.....

It depends! Welker should see looks from both Sherman, Browner, and Trufant. Trufant is considered our #3 CB so hopefully not him too often!

I am very worried about Gronkowski. If Newton wasn't too incompetent to find Olsen and hit him consistently against us, that game might have turned out rather differently. All of our three starting linebackers are pretty decent at coverage, Wright has a lot of range, Wagner is fast and is incredibly reliable for a rookie MLB, and Hill was considered the best cover linebacker we had back during our superbowl year when we had Tatupu (pre injuries), Peterson, and him. Honestly, Chancellor, our SS, might be our best one on one matchup with Gronk. He has size and is quite fast for his size, though he lacks the range that Thomas brings on the other side.

Sorry just thought of another thing, do you remember what the hawks did to defend amendola? I'll probably end up rewatching that rams game too on NFL rewind to try and get some more insight on what they might try to do to welker. Thanks again.

Sorry just thought of another thing, do you remember what the hawks did to defend amendola? I'll probably end up rewatching that rams game too on NFL rewind to try and get some more insight on what they might try to do to welker. Thanks again.

I can't quite recall any specifics about coverages - it didn't feel like we did anything differently. What I can say is that the seahawks have struggled most with the short passing game. The one TD scoring drive that the Packers had on us was really a bunch of dinking and dunking. Rodgers would take the snap and fire it out almost immediately. Not much of a coincidence that the Rams came out with that exact gameplan. The Rams Oline wasn't amazing, but Bradford just came out with really concise 3 step drop, quick pass type plays.

Keep in mind that even that gameplan didn't exactly win the Rams the game. That stupid fake field goal really killed us and the 60 and 58 yard field goals that their kicker made were unbelievable. Carroll simply got outcoached. It seems to happen once or twice a season unfortunately.

Unfortunately, Brady, Welker, and Gronkowski make a much more intimidating quick passing game than Bradford and the Rams offense. We will really have to step it up and make a play or two to not get dink and dunked down the field.

I could see the Pats having a lot of success on the ground again. The Seahawks use 320-pound Red Bryant as a defensive end on early downs and then 245-pound Bruce Irvin as a situational pass rusher. Get into a passing situation, convert that, and then go no-huddle and pound the ball at Irvin repeatedly. Seems easy enough in theory.

didnt read much of this topic, but this. packers struggled to pass....but they ran the ball pretty well against them.

Please do. Other than the Green Bay game and three minute highlights most of us have not seen the Seahawks this year. Folks like you that follow them closely year round are going to know a whole lot more about them than any of us here.

Alrighty-then. [stretching/limbering knuckles] Let me start by giving you all a brief scouting breakdown of the Seahawks Defense -- since that's going to be a major focus heading in to this game.

Back in 2009, former head coach Jim Mora made some very interesting comments in regards to the league-wide perception of the Seahawks. He said that back when he was coaching the Falcons, the perception of the Seahawks was that of a soft team -- "that if you come out early, hit them in the mouth hard -- they will roll over". That was how Mora put it ... and so what he really was seeking ... was for guys who were "dirtbags" [again, his words]. Well, 3 years later that is exactly what the Seahawks has become. They are anything BUT Soft -- thugs are more like it. Those defensive statistics that you see are very real, as these guys are scary good. I've seen a lot of defenses throughout the years. The Seahawks defense back in 1984 was extremely good (that team went 12-4 and lost to the Raiders 13-10 in the playoffs, the eventual SB champs). Led by guys like Jacob Green, Kenny Easley, Freddy Young, and Dave Brown ... that team finished the season #1 in the NFL in the Give Away/Take Away margin. I saw that team play and let me tell you ... I'd say that this current Seahawks D is better. As I'm sure you've heard by now, they've been dubbed "the Legion of Boom" by the fans and they very much play with a nobody gives us any measure of respect attitude. For example, prior to the Green Bay game, CB Richard Sherman said, "If we win, nobody's going to be talking about what we did. It's all going to be about what Green Bay DIDN'T do." That's very much the kind of attitude they play with game in and game out -- never too high, never too low -- very business-like.

If you were to characterize Pete Carroll's defensive philosophy in a nutshell, it would be "Bigger, Stronger, Faster" [heavy emphasis on the faster, as speed on defense is everything to this guy]. Very quickly after John Schneider was hired as GM it was out with smaller, slower, veteran guys ... and IN with younger, bigger, stronger, faster, instinctual guys who played with a chip on their shoulder. CB's Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman very much typify what Pete Carroll is all about.

The lynchpin of the Seahawks defense (right up front) starts with DT Brandon Mebane and DE Red Bryant. Mebane is a guy who though he may not show up in the stats ... absolutely is a pain in the butt for opposing OL's. Think of him basically as the immovable rock in the middle of the stream who demands double teams and allows other guys behind him to make plays. Former Seahawks Dave Wyman and Steve Raible (now the Hawks play-by-play announcer) had HUGE praise for Mebane after the Rams game. He has basically been unblockable of late. Red Bryant (Jacob Green's son-in-law) though he's listed as a DE is a guy that they'll also slide around to DT (depending on the scheme) and is very much a key to the Seahawks run defense. Consider those two guys right there 1A and 1B in terms of where things flow from. On the outsides, DE's Chris Clemons and Bruce Irvin are absolutely scary fast LEO DE's who can get after the QB in a hurry. In the Cowboy game (for example) the Seahawks had BOTH of those guys out there at the same time quite a bit ... and they absolutely lit up Tony Romo. When he wasn't getting pummeled, he was often running for his life. Though he's not got a lot of attention yet -- Bruce Almighty (Irvin) is a guy who's just starting to figure things out. He absolutely manhandled the Carolina offensive line all game long. He has 4.5 sacks in 5 games and looks to be getting better and better every time he's out there.

And though most of the national attention is usually on the Seahawks secondary -- their linebacking corps is an extremely talented and underrated group. K.J. Wright and Leroy Hill are big, fast guys on the outside who can both play TE's very well are have very good closing speed on opposing RB's and WR's. Perhaps the biggest addition though to this team this past offseason is a guy who has garnered very little attention outside of the local media -- rookie MLB Bobby Wagner. Last season, most scouts agreed that the 2 best MLB's in the country were Mychal Kendricks out of Cal ... and Bobby Wagner out of Utah State. Wagner has significantly upgraded the MLB spot, as he (again) brings very good speed, instincts, coverage and tackling ability to the position. Against the Panthers, there were plays he made that last year's starter Brandon Hawthorne couldn't simply because of the speed and instincts he brings. He is a very capable pass rusher as well -- don't underestimate the potential impact that he could have on this game.

Finally, let's talk about the one area of this team that many people want to focus on -- the secondary. There are a lot of National Experts out there who are starting to believe that this Seattle Secondary is the best in the NFL. Trying my best to remove my my homer glasses -- I'd have to agree with them. Across the board, ALL of these guys are very, very good. Sherman was the only one of this group who DIDN'T make the Pro Bowl last year ... and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if ALL 4 starters made the Pro Bowl this season. Seattle's secondary is very big, very fast, and they are all ballhawkers. Starting with the starting CB's, Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner are 2 of the biggest and fastest in football. Sherman is 6'3" 195 ... while Browner is an incredible 6'4" 221. They are very physical and are what truly allows the Hawks to be able to run many of the coverages that they ultimately do. Many of the Hawks CB's that you may have seen in the past are used to playing off the receiver, giving them a cushion -- not so with these guys. They will play a LOT of bump and run with these 2, as they are very physical and will be in the face of the opposing receiver all game long. Basically, expect a mugging within the first 5 yards. You need only go back to the tape of this past game and look at Steve Smith to see the impact Sherman had (Smith ended up getting completely rattled). One thing of note that I find interesting -- Steve Smith is 5'9" 185 -- the exact same size as Wes Welker. They believe they have the size, speed, and catch-up ability to run stride for stride with any WR in football -- and from what I've seen, I'd say they do. The safeties are equally as impressive. SS Cam Chancellor is as big as many NFL LB's (6'3 232 lbs) and with his speed can hit like a mack truck. I'd hate to be a receiver crossing the middle against that guy. He is a very sure tackler -- excellent against both the run and pass. Finally, the true lynchpin of the secondary is FS Earl Thomas. Thomas has elite speed, fantastic coverage instincts, and a real nose for where the football is going to be. He could very easily play CB if need be ... as he is such a great center fielder. Think of a very young Troy Polamalu in terms of impact he has of really shrinking the field.

Now I'm not going to go dubbing these guys the 1985 Bears or anything like that ... but I WILL say that this defense is every bit as good as the 49ers right now ... the Jets defense from a couple of years ago (and perhaps even better than those 2) ... and one of the very best I've seen in years. In many ways, this group kind of reminds me of those classic Oilers defenses that Buddy Ryan ran. They are really, really good and it will be very interesting for me to see -- just as a pure football fan -- how these guys do against THE MOST prolific offense in the NFL. The fact that this game is being played in Seattle will make it all the more interesting ... as I'm sure you've heard by now that Century Link Field is an unbelievable advantage for that defense. When that crowd really gets rocking ... the noise levels can reach 116 dB's (as much as a Boeing 747 engine) AND seismologists have actually recorded tremors there during games (Marshawn Lynch's now infamous run against the Saints being a good example). Since 2005, there have been more false starts there than in any other stadium in the NFL -- so that is an unbelievable advantage to the Seahawks Defense, as opposing offenses simply cannot hear the snap count. Should be a very interesting game just from that standpoint alone. Brady with his lightning fast passing attack vs THAT defense -- WHOO! As a football fan alone (taking rooting interest out of it), it doesn't get any better than that. ;)

I don't deny the Seahawks have an excellent D and a very good run defense but Seattle has played the following teams -

Code:
            [B]Average     Rank[/B]
Arizona      63 yards   31
Dallas       68 yards   29
Green Bay    95 yards   20
St.Louis     94 yards   22
Carolina    114 yards   14

The Seahawks haven't been facing elite run units. I understand they are capable of shutting down an O, thus my comment about seeing the Seattle DL vs the Patriots OL. It should be engaging.

Only 5 games in, you can easily make the argument that those teams' averages are down BECAUSE 20% of that number is attributed to a game vs the Seahawks. :)

New England Seahawks said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ausbacker

I don't deny the Seahawks have an excellent D and a very good run defense but Seattle has played the following teams -

Code:

Average Rank Arizona 63 yards 31 Dallas 68 yards 29 Green Bay 95 yards 20 St.Louis 94 yards 22 Carolina 114 yards 14

The Seahawks haven't been facing elite run units. I understand they are capable of shutting down an O, thus my comment about seeing the Seattle DL vs the Patriots OL. It should be engaging.

Only 5 games in, you can easily make the argument that those teams' averages are down BECAUSE 20% of that number is attributed to a game vs the Seahawks.

packers rushed for like 80 something yds against seattle. granteind a bit of that was rodgers and they werent terribly efficient...but the game did start to turn around on the run game.

the matchup its interesting though. pats have a top 10 rush defense and top 5 rush offense. seahawks are similar in that regard. pats just need to not let wilson look good.

Posted from Patsfans.com App for Android

I see alot of attention being focused on the Pats O going up against the Hawks D. That may make for the most interesting discussion but the stat that sticks out to me most is the Hawks O averaging just 17 PPG.

While the Hawks have a top D let's not discount that the Pats have the best O in the league. Chances are the Pats are going to score more than 17 points in this game. The question then becomes, can Seattle score more than 17 points?

As interesting as the Pats O versus the Hawks D is, I think the key to this game is the Hawks O against the Pats D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back