PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI dying slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found out today about Pete Sheppard, and I'm pretty happy about it. I have hardly listened to EEI since they fired him. Sheppard is the best personality on that network.

just for the record... I predicted this about a week after 98.5 launched.

#patsmyselfontheback

Felger knows more about football than anyone @ EEI COMBINED.

You can dislike his shtick.. but the dude does know the game and his takes are generally pretty good.

Not only is he a baseball-only guy, his addiction is the 1960s-era Red Sox. It doesn't get any more boring than that. I'll never forget the night I landed for about three minutes on 'EEI and he was TRYING to talk NFL football. I turned it off when he kept messing up which teams were in which conference. DA is a far superior sportscaster.

Nothing like some 60's baseball talk to stoke up the airwaves! Couldn't agree more....DA is well versed in all 4 major sports and no comparison when it comes to football knowledge.

I like Felger because his show is entertaining. I wouldn't want to listen to a Pats homer because it would get stale. At least Felger is up front about his various biases and explains his contrarian positions. I like it that Felger makes me think...even when he makes me think that he is being a jackass.

It is amazing how Ordway has changed since the emergence of 98.5; he is not nearly as rude. Ordway used to treat any caller with a differing opinion as an unenlightened simpleton unworthy of his time. Ordway used to openly mock Bruins fans but did a 180 when he discovered 98.5 had the audacity to talk about something other than the Sox or Celts.

Last edited:
Felger knows more about football than anyone @ EEI COMBINED.

You can dislike his shtick.. but the dude does know the game and his takes are generally pretty good.

Is this a joke? Pukehead Felger is a contrarian a@@hole. His side-kick whiney a@@hole Mazz is worse. Afternoon sports radio has become unlistenable.

And, for you puck heads - I loved it when I heard nothing about that second rate sport, Hockey. It's about as relevant as soccer to me. Less hockey, more everything lese! Thanks!

Last edited:
I listened to his opening monologue on his first show and promptly turned it off. He actually starts bragging he made a stupid prop bet that he just knew he would get right before talking about the Super Bowl itself. He bet Pats have more sacks than the Giants. We did. He won the bet. Now he's smarter than everyone else. I'd bet my life he picked us to win the game. Just didn't mention it. Funny how that works. I'll pass on anyone with rose colored glasses.

It seems like every time I try to listen to WEEI I get a commercial. And if it not a commercial then it is baseball talk. Then if not baseball then Lou Merloni talking football. Blah.

WEEI is just one giant commercial with a dash of baseball talk.

I like Pete .... :D

To each his own then. I personally find Pete Sheppard to be everything I don't like about sports talk radio. He's arrogant, unintelligent, boorish, and uninteresting. When he and Ordway were together it was the perfect storm of all these things.

It seems like every time I try to listen to WEEI I get a commercial. And if it not a commercial then it is baseball talk. Then if not baseball then Lou Merloni talking football. Blah.

WEEI is just one giant commercial with a dash of baseball talk.

Heh...."Nathan SELLS houses!!! Did you know Nathan sells SIXTY TIMES more houses than any other real estate agent??? and he sells them for full price and FAST too...look at this...Nathan sold a house in Burrillville that had sat on the market for two years in ONE WEEK!!! For the full asking price!!

First of all, Nathan has been selling this damn "house" for six months now on this azzhat commercial..and secondly, anybody who is selling SIXTY TIMES what all other competing agents are selling should already be retired and living on a mansioned estate in South Florida...I'm guessing Nathan couldn't sell a dyamed hot dog to a ten year old kid at the ballpark...

Last edited:
I listen to sports radio in the car fairly often, although I take a break at the end of the football season (unless we've won the SB) because I can't stand totally negative Pats talk. I've recently returned to my habit of tuning in for 5 minutes and if I like what's on, staying there, and if not, switching back to music. One of the reasons I switched to 98.5 right when it debuted is that the WEEI signal in southern NH stunk, particularly at night. When WEEI went to FM, I put them back on the dial to give them another chance. I recently took them off again. I just don't like them; not enough football, not enough likeable hosts, too many commercials.

If I am any indication of their demographics, they are dying, and maybe not so slowly.

In fairness to WEEI, 98.5 can be just as bad or worse. After listening Tony Mazz say that the Pats would rather resign Anderson, Carter, and a few others for $6 million than pay Mario Williams $9 million a year because he feels that even though Williams would be taking a huge discount that he believes the Pats are so entrenched in a "quantity over quality" way of thinking that they would stupidly turn down an elite player at a midrange player money because it would break from their philosophy.

Maybe WEEI isn't as bad as I thought.

In fairness to WEEI, 98.5 can be just as bad or worse. After listening Tony Mazz say that the Pats would rather resign Anderson, Carter, and a few others for $6 million than pay Mario Williams $9 million a year because he feels that even though Williams would be taking a huge discount that he believes the Pats are so entrenched in a "quantity over quality" way of thinking that they would stupidly turn down an elite player at a midrange player money because it would break from their philosophy.

Maybe WEEI isn't as bad as I thought.

Is he so wrong? Isn't the Pats' philosophy (sometimes maddeningly) good quality/great quantity is better than great quality/poor quantity? The question is whether the Pats are stupid or Mazz is stupid. Since the Pats have played winning football for over a decade and Mazz is a dufus, I would say he's the stupid one, but he isn't really wrong on their philisophy; just his interpretation of it.

Is he so wrong? Isn't the Pats' philosophy (sometimes maddeningly) good quality/great quantity is better than great quality/poor quantity? The question is whether the Pats are stupid or Mazz is stupid. Since the Pats have played winning football for over a decade and Mazz is a dufus, I would say he's the stupid one, but he isn't really wrong on their philisophy; just his interpretation of it.

The more I think about it, Mazz has a point. No way will the Pats take the #1 free agent at about a 40-50% discount of his market value when they can use that money to get a bunch value veteran minimum guys. Seems to be more in Belichick's character. :rolleyes:

He is wrong. His point was that Williams will be giving away his services and the Pats would still be turning him down because they are so subborn with their philosophy that even bargain deals that the Pats have jumped at in the past (Colvin, Thomas), they would ignore.

Last edited:
The more I think about it, Mazz has a point. No way will the Pats take the #1 free agent at about a 40-50% discount of his market value when they can use that money to get a bunch value veteran minimum guys. Seems to be more in Belichick's character. :rolleyes:

He is wrong. His point was that Williams will be giving away his services and the Pats turning him down.

I doubt he'll be giving his services away, Mazz. Behind Manning (and in front of him on many team's wish lists) Williams is the most sought after FA. There are plenty of other good teams that will happily accept his services and pay him top dollar. I just don't see the Pats doing it. The last time they shelled out big $$ for a top free agent, if I remember correctly, was for Adelius Thomas. That didn't work out so well, and I can't believe it's not in the back of BB's mind, along with the thought of how many other quality guys he can get for "that kind of money."

LOL! Ok, I think I may switch to WEEI now. Michael "Mr. The Cap is Crap" Felger is now blasting the Pats for not having enough cap room to be a player in free agency because of bad dealings with Mankins, Wilfork, Welker, and Bodden. Apparently, the cap is crap unless the Pats are up against it and then the cap is real and the Pats mismanaged it.

Further proof that WEEI are a bunch of idiots that they are falling apart because 98.5 is pathetic.

BTW, I didn't want start a new thread for this and trying to force it into this thread since it is related.

Last edited:
LOL! Ok, I think I may switch to WEEI now. Michael "Mr. The Cap is Crap" Felger is now blasting the Pats for not having enough cap room to be a player in free agency because of bad dealings with Mankins, Wilfork, Welker, and Bodden. Apparently, the cap is crap unless the Pats are up against it and then the cap is real and the Pats mismanaged it.

Further proof that WEEI are a bunch of idiots that they are falling apart because 98.5 is pathetic.

BTW, I didn't want start a new thread for this and trying to force it into this thread since it is related.

Mazz's voice is extra high today ... I think he's wearing the tight butt floss today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST