PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI dying slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Calling Michael Smith!! Calling Michael Smith!

Dump Ordway on middays with Mut (please spare us another minute listening to the try-too-hard Merloni) and get Smith from ESPN and pair him with Holley. Wow, that would be a serious show. Smith has roots in Boston (he reported here for years), might not have to give up his ESPN gig completely (it's only 1.5 hours south), and is a sharp, sharp cookie. I would make a point of tuning into those two.

Point well taken. However Sirius NFL Radio has all those positive attributes you mentioned.
It does and I love it, but I just can't get enough Pats talk there. Movin' the Chains with Kirwan and Ryan was nothing short of spectacular.

WEEI dying slowly....I hope so.

Dennis and Callahan cannot be unemployed fast enough. Do these two know that they are on a SPORTS station? If I want politics, I'll tune into a station that features politics, not these wanna be political hacks. Replace them Now!

Best thing WEEI could try to do is lure Amendolara for their 2:00-6:00pm slot when the times comes. I'm not a huge DA fan, but overall he knows his stuff.

Get Dale and Holley back on in the 10:00-2:00 slot, too. They weren't the greatest, but M&M are dumb and dumber.

I listen to him now, because there are no good choices, Zolak could benefit from a stronger partner that would intellectually challenge them.. but the travesty that Gresch was involved with at the SCORE will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth. Even now when left to his own devices he falls back to that very familiar sophomoric place..

He always was an unabashed Steelers fan, and now he has changed because of economic/employment issues.. he has lousy "pipes".. but somehow is making mucho cash off of his schtick..

Unfortunately the choices are worse and less worse.. it could be so much better if they wanted it to be. Think Holley(because of his knowledge of the Patriots) and Zolak (because of his having been a Patriot player) might be a good combination.

A discarded candy wrapper would intellectually challenge Zolak.

The problem I have with most sports talk shows is that they give very little time to actual people calling in to talk. The show opens, and we get 15-20 minutes of babbling and rehashing the same points over and over. Let the callers dictate the show.

WEEI Versus WBZ FM ~ An Artist's Rendition

dumbAndDumber_1465933c.jpg

I hate both morning shows. EEI is worse due to the moronic one dimensional political rants.

I will listen to EEI midday for baseball, 98.5 for football and neither for hoops.

I hate Felger and I hate Ordway - but will attempt to listen to both shows.

EEI's weekend baseball shows are better IMO.

Last edited:
Am I missing out on anything by not listening to WEEI? I almost exclusively listen to PFW on Patriots.com, which is kind of useless now since the season is over.

The problem I have with most sports talk shows is that they give very little time to actual people calling in to talk. The show opens, and we get 15-20 minutes of babbling and rehashing the same points over and over. Let the callers dictate the show.

One thing that bothered me about the Big Show was when they would take callers, Ordway would find a way to cut into that time also. For example, the hosts would be talking about something like DeOssie's dog or Mike Adams' latest tatoo related bet. They would wrap that up and announce that they were going to the phones and the conversation would go like this:

Ordway: Bill from Stoneham, what's on your mind?

Caller: Yeah, I'd like to talk about the Sox pitch-

Ordway: Steve, Are you going to dress your dog up for Halloween?

And that would start more banter about the dog, or the tatoo, or food or whatever for a couple of more minutes, while the caller just sits there and waits. I don't know why callers didn't just hang up when that happened.

For my part, I stopped listening to EEI after the DeOssie flap. I can't get 98.5 where I am in CT, so I've been listening to a lot more music and some ESPN radio if I want to hear sports talk. I've found that I haven't missed EEI that much. In some ways, it might actually help me enjoy sports - I'm just looking forward to baseball season. I haven't listened to every quote from Valentine getting dissected or last year's collapse being re-hashed.

One thing that bothered me about the Big Show was when they would take callers, Ordway would find a way to cut into that time also. For example, the hosts would be talking about something like DeOssie's dog or Mike Adams' latest tatoo related bet. They would wrap that up and announce that they were going to the phones and the conversation would go like this:

And that would start more banter about the dog, or the tatoo, or food or whatever for a couple of more minutes, while the caller just sits there and waits. I don't know why callers didn't just hang up when that happened.

For my part, I stopped listening to EEI after the DeOssie flap. I can't get 98.5 where I am in CT, so I've been listening to a lot more music and some ESPN radio if I want to hear sports talk. I've found that I haven't missed EEI that much. In some ways, it might actually help me enjoy sports - I'm just looking forward to baseball season. I haven't listened to every quote from Valentine getting dissected or last year's collapse being re-hashed.

Ordway is a pompous little man; veritably Napoleonic. His unqualified defense of DeOssie turned me off completely. I'd rather listen to Felger.

People just like to ***** and moan about Sports talk show hosts because they are doing on air what we do here and other forums. Only difference is they get paid.

People just like to ***** and moan about Sports talk show hosts because they are doing on air what we do here and other forums. Only difference is they get paid.

Yeah, but even I wouldn't want to listen to myself talk sports for 4 hours a day.

I also you can be a sports talk host and not be a homer or contrarian or a fan in between. Personally, I would love to see a local show version of Sirius NFL radio. The hosts on those shows are knowledeable, talk real football, and don't get into the stupid crap of local radio (taking the celebrity moron/contrarian callers who only purpose is to incite the listeners and make the host look good, a lot of grab arse crap, etc.). The only problem with that network is that you can go days or even weeks without hearing about the Pats.

Absolutely Spot on. :rocker:

Last edited:
I'm conservative so maybe it helps explain it....but I think D and C are lightyears ahead of T&R, even when they don't talk sports. T&R are juvenile humor.

Mut and Merloni are miserable, but Gresh and Zo aren't much better. I usually listen to music in that daypart.

I've never been an Ordway fan, but Ordway with Holley is good and what I think is the best show on sports radio. They are contradictory, have good arguments and do know what they are talking about. Felger and Mazz is really the Felger show with Mazz saying yes - and Felger makes up so many opinions that are not backed up by facts that I can't listen.

Mikey at night all the way, although DA does know his stuff if you are looking for that approach. Mikey is the guy you like to hang out at the bar with. Just a fun dude.

weei has become terrible. I only listen to sports radio during the football season, i have no interest in baseball talk, and everyone on both stations disgraced themselves with their stupidity when they tried and failed miserably to cover Thomas' remarks in any decent way.

Mikey at night all the way, although DA does know his stuff if you are looking for that approach. Mikey is the guy you like to hang out at the bar with. Just a fun dude.

If your idea of fun is listening to a guy who really only knows and talks about baseball. zzzzzzzzzzz :cool:

If your idea of fun is listening to a guy who really only knows and talks about baseball. zzzzzzzzzzz :cool:

Not only is he a baseball-only guy, his addiction is the 1960s-era Red Sox. It doesn't get any more boring than that. I'll never forget the night I landed for about three minutes on 'EEI and he was TRYING to talk NFL football. I turned it off when he kept messing up which teams were in which conference. DA is a far superior sportscaster.

You listen to sports radio for football information?

The point of sports radio isn't information, it for entertainment. The only time you gain any information is when there is a guest that actually knows what he is talking about. Zolak is probably the only host with any real insight into football.

I actually enjoy the morning guys because they are the only ones that don't pretend to be sports experts. They have a lighthearted approach towards sports and add something that has been missing from the coverage around here...fun. I'll pass on another show that gives me half baked game analysis in exchange for Big Bang Clock and Party Gronk.

Thank you. T & R is one of the only shows that doesn't make me fully question the point of sports talk radio entirely. I get a few laughs here and there and appreciate it more than hours of what amounts to arguing or hyperbolic numbskull type posturing.

Something like the John Henry impromptu interview is a definite exception - that was pretty fascinating radio.

EEI's big move: The return of Pete Sheppard

(according to Boston Sports Media Watch)

EEI's big move: The return of Pete Sheppard

(according to Boston Sports Media Watch)

Yeah, heard him this afternoon when he called in, Sunday 1-3 with the meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back