PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

WEEI dying slowly

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is personal with Felger regarding Belichick. It's been personal since a press conference a number of years ago when Felger prefaced a question to BB with, "Correct me if I'm wrong" and before Felger could go any further BB interjected, "I can't wait." All of Felger's colleagues laughed and Felger was the only one not amused. In fact, he was livid because BB dumped a steaming pile on his head in front of everyone.

Wasn't there also another time when he asked "can I ask a stupid question?" to which BB replied: "never stopped you before"?

Or was that someone other than Felger?

You listen to those giggling morons in the morning for football information? :confused:

You listen to sports radio for football information?

The point of sports radio isn't information, it for entertainment. The only time you gain any information is when there is a guest that actually knows what he is talking about. Zolak is probably the only host with any real insight into football.

I actually enjoy the morning guys because they are the only ones that don't pretend to be sports experts. They have a lighthearted approach towards sports and add something that has been missing from the coverage around here...fun. I'll pass on another show that gives me half baked game analysis in exchange for Big Bang Clock and Party Gronk.

The point of sports radio isn't information, it for entertainment. The only time you gain any information is when there is a guest that actually knows what he is talking about. Zolak is probably the only host with any real insight into football.

I actually enjoy the morning guys because they are the only ones that don't pretend to be sports experts. They have a lighthearted approach towards sports and add something that has been missing from the coverage around here...fun. I'll pass on another show that gives me half baked game analysis in exchange for Big Bang Clock and Party Gronk.

What you consider light-hearted I consider absolutely assinine. You can have fun, light-hearted sports talk - and not sound like a dumber version of bevis and butthead. The 98.5 morning show is the worst of the worst in entertainment. They aren't funny! They are just stupid.

Last edited:
Both stations are really bad. I can deal with only two shows all day long. That's D & C in the morning, and Felger and Mazz in the afternoon. Even with both I only listen in the car, and no longer listen at work. Both midday shows are atrocious. Absolutely horrible. Gresh's voice may be the most annoying in the history of the FM dial. He sounds like he's yelling alll the time. Mutt and Merloni...gag. Ordway I don't even need to talk about since most in here have described him to a tee. Poor Holley.

One of these stations needs to bring back Bob Neumier and "the nerds". I miss Neumi on the radio.

Both stations are really bad. I can deal with only two shows all day long. That's D & C in the morning, and Felger and Mazz in the afternoon. Even with both I only listen in the car, and no longer listen at work. Both midday shows are atrocious. Absolutely horrible. Gresh's voice may be the most annoying in the history of the FM dial. He sounds like he's yelling alll the time. Mutt and Merloni...gag. Ordway I don't even need to talk about since most in here have described him to a tee. Poor Holley.

One of these stations needs to bring back Bob Neumier and "the nerds". I miss Neumi on the radio.

I work from home a lot So, I listen online. Gresh might be one of the dumber people on air I've ever heard. When there's an argument about something. He'll try to wrap it up by making a stupid comparision that doesn't make sense and has nothing to do with the original debate.

I work from home a lot So, I listen online. Gresh might be one of the dumber people on air I've ever heard. When there's an argument about something. He'll try to wrap it up by making a stupid comparision that doesn't make sense and has nothing to do with the original debate.

Gresh is from Pa. and "graduated" from URI , here in R.I. He's a life long Steelers fan. The year the Pats won the S.B. with a win over the Panthers, he picked against the Pats every single game of the season but two, as an analyst on the now defunct sports radio station, the SCORE. In between blowing gas like that in this competitive market in southern N.E., his fallback field of expertise all season long was the WWE, about which he would rant and rave and ramble on interminably at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately for all of us, some poor girl from RI fell in love with this buffoon and married him, otherwise we would have been rid of his obnoxious presence for good.

It isn't all bad ,however.While "working" at the SCORE, he consistently missed the mark with the worst toilet humor and racist tinged "jokes" I've ever heard on the airwaves....stuff that you hear a six year old tell in the schoolyard.In particular, his fake "Chinese guy" imitation was particularly embarrassing and offensive to both the radio station and his on-air partner ,Scott Cordische.Since moving into the slot at 98.5 with Zolak,he's managed to raise his maturity level to that of a teenager. Progress is progress I guess.

Gresh is from Pa. and "graduated" from URI , here in R.I. He's a life long Steelers fan. The year the Pats won the S.B. with a win over the Panthers, he picked against the Pats every single game of the season but two, as an analyst on the now defunct sports radio station, the SCORE. In between blowing gas like that in this competitive market in southern N.E., his fallback field of expertise all season long was the WWE, about which he would rant and rave and ramble on interminably at the drop of a hat. Unfortunately for all of us, some poor girl from RI fell in love with this buffoon and married him, otherwise we would have been rid of his obnoxious presence for good.

It isn't all bad ,however.While "working" at the SCORE, he consistently missed the mark with the worst toilet humor and racist tinged "jokes" I've ever heard on the airwaves....stuff that you hear a six year old tell in the schoolyard.In particular, his fake "Chinese guy" imitation was particularly embarrassing and offensive to both the radio station and his on-air partner ,Scott Cordische.Since moving into the slot at 98.5 with Zolak,he's managed to raise his maturity level to that of a teenager. Progress is progress I guess.

The highlighted part of your post reminded of something. About a decade ago, my then girlfriend and I were watching Return of the Jedi and she said that Jabba the Hutt didn't need to keep Leia as a slave girl because even he could find someone to love him. Although I had to dump her for suggesting that they erase Leia's gold bikini from cinematic history which fueled by childhood fantasies along with the fact she said that she thought the Ewoks were "cute" and "fun", she was proven right if the real world Jabba the Hutt (Gresh) could find someone to love him.

Well, that's just it, you can't right? Even if you tried.

Basically sports talk radio in Boston is hours of mindless, sophomoric humor or (D&C) right wing political ranting punctuated by occassionally insightful commentary, which is usually only the case when they have a guest on.

This is where we differ -- I'd really like sports radio to be mostly news and analysis. But the problem is that you really can't fill 16 hours/day with news and analysis, so instead you get complete garbage.

I've stopped listening to it. Now it's all about 'EEI on Demand to listen to the recording of the Brady/Belichick interviews, etc.

What you consider light-hearted I consider absolutely assinine. You can have fun, light-hearted sports talk - and not sound like a dumber version of bevis and butthead. The 98.5 morning show is the worst of the worst in entertainment. They aren't funny! They are just stupid.

What's worst is they giggle all the time at their own moronic jokes. I'd never heard "adult" males giggle like that before and hopefully never will again, since I swore off their show after trying it for 15 minutes one morning. I don't listen to D & C either -- a couple of nasty, mean-spirited cynics.

Bingo, I think we have BINGO.

2007_01_bingo_brown.jpg

I remember the days of Score, i can't take listening to this Fat Slob for more than about Ten seconds. When ever he talked/talks about his days as an O lineman at Rhody i have flash backs to Al Bundy talking about his Five TD day for Polk High

Last edited:
When ever he talked/talks about his days as an O lineman at Rhody i have flash backs to Al Bundy talking about his Five TD day for Polk High

Gresh can be obnoxious but at least he knows football. During football season he and Zolak are a saving grace on the local airwaves.

Gresh can be obnoxious but at least he knows football. During football season he and Zolak are a saving grace on the local airwaves.
I Can't take listening to him pontificate along with his grade school humor. I don't listen to sports radio anymore, i come hear and read what people like You and Mo and Grid ETC. have to say. Its much more enlightening.

Last edited:

I listen to him now, because there are no good choices, Zolak could benefit from a stronger partner that would intellectually challenge them.. but the travesty that Gresch was involved with at the SCORE will forever leave a bad taste in my mouth. Even now when left to his own devices he falls back to that very familiar sophomoric place..

He always was an unabashed Steelers fan, and now he has changed because of economic/employment issues.. he has lousy "pipes".. but somehow is making mucho cash off of his schtick..

Unfortunately the choices are worse and less worse.. it could be so much better if they wanted it to be. Think Holley(because of his knowledge of the Patriots) and Zolak (because of his having been a Patriot player) might be a good combination.

I hope WEEI doesn't go away. We have all experienced what a 1 station town is like..it sucks.

98.5 already has a pretty damn high opinion of themselves. Imagine what it would be like if they drove WEEI out. It would be unlistenable.

This site really needs a dedicated forum or thread for this 98.5 v. WEEI stuff.

The worst of the worst? A bit hyperbolic don't you think? If anything, they are better than most because they don't have to push the sensationalistic overactive stories that are the bread and butter of most programs. Whereas every other host is a sports analyst that is trying to be a radio entertainer, they are radio entertainers that are covering sports. Personally I think its a nice change and the numbers seem to indicate that many agree with me.

Basically sports talk radio in Boston is hours of mindless, sophomoric humor or (D&C) right wing political ranting punctuated by occassionally insightful commentary, which is usually only the case when they have a guest on.

Its sports...are people really shocked that the coverage is sophomoric? I'm really not sure what type of high brow, intellectual sports coverage people are expecting.

Its sports...are people really shocked that the coverage is sophomoric? I'm really not sure what type of high brow, intellectual sports coverage people are expecting.

Point well taken. However Sirius NFL Radio has all those positive attributes you mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots