PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Weakest AFC field in years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would disagree. The Pats have won 8 in a row. This year's edition of the Patriots is actually getting healthy for the Playoffs. Yes they have lost three Probowl type players in Koppens, Carter and presumably Vollmer. But their fill-ins Connelly, Solder/Cannon and Anderson and Ridley are able, and have done a great job.

All the other injured guys like BJGE, Mayo, Fletcher, Spikes, McCourty and Chung are back.

Obviously, I was excluding the Pats from that statement. They are clearly not "QB deficient". Again, this is a comment on the quality on the AFC *field*, not any particular team.

I would say though that even the Pats in their winning streak have appeared alarmingly vulnerable at times. It may be that this is just today's NFL, but I don't remember too many SB winners dropping down 17-0 and 21-0 late in the season, at home, with a bye on the line.

(Note I'm on record stating here that I think the Pats are the clear favorite, so this isn't meant as a criticism so much as an observation that everyone has some flaws in the AFC)

Go ahead and poll it here on which teams we would rather see the Pats play in the playoffs. Probably look something like this:

Broncos----------------------------
Cincy--------------------------
Houston-----------------
Pittsburgh-------
Baltimore--

matchups smatchups, give me the BUNGLES, TEBOWS, or TEXANS:D

Balt is the only one that truly scares me. They always seem to play the Pats hard, their D often gives Brady issues, and their O while not great would likely put up at least 24 points on the Pats.

The more I think about Pitt the less worried I am about them. They're a great team that I respect and fully expected to do well this season, but the Pats have their number. Their win over the Pats, despite being a sound victory, just further proved that. The Steelers changed their entire identity for that game and managed to execute amazingly well. It seems unlikely that they'll catch the Pats off guard again and manage to execute that well doing things they are unaccustomed to.

Sorry but I don't have time to read all this, but I just have to comment since this is one of my more recent mediot pet peeves.

I want to tear the fat puffy flaccid face of off of Tony Mazzarotti every time he launches into his "the AFC is weak" rant (while Felger adds his sh!teating grin assent).

Just exactly how many teams have to have 12 or more wns before the AFC suddenly becomes "strong". These ***holes just arbitrarily decide that a team, division, or conference is "weak". And what really pisses me off is that the only reason they are saying it is because they heard "someone else" say it and figured it sounded good, so they repeat it like the empty headed donkies that they are.

Since when do you decide that just because the league is more competitive then it is somehow flawed and weak. Its like they think that if THEY are the one who "uncovers" these "FLAWS" then suddenly someone is going to give them a Nobel Prize for their contribution to humanity. Their egos know no bounds.

How is this playoff Tourney any different than every other year. The 4 top seeds in each conference are strong teams that "on paper" can win it all. The bottom 2 look weak, yet inevidably one of them will win a game or two....or three.....or four despite the pundits.

I'm going to end this because I feel the incredible need to go out and buy a Massarotti or Felger blow up dolls just so I can have it close to slap around on a regular basis. C'mon tell me you haven't wanted to smack some of that smarmy smugness off their faces. Don't lie. You want to. I know you do.

Last edited:
FWIW: cumulative conference 2011 season records:

NFC: 129-127
AFC: 127-129

How is this playoff Tourney any different than every other year.

Let's face it, this is a QB driven league. In '06 who was it...Brady, Manning, Rivers all at the top of their game to go along with I don't know pennington and trent green??? even those guys were better than this years crop of bottom seeders.

TJ Yikes, Tim Teblow, and Andy Faulton???

This is a weak field to get through. LETS GO PATS

Sorry but I don't have time to read all this, but I just have to comment since this is one of my more recent mediot pet peeves.

I want to tear the fat puffy flaccid face of off of Tony Mazzarotti every time he launches into his "the AFC is weak" rant (while Felger adds his sh!teating grin assent).

Just exactly how many teams have to have 12 or more wns before the AFC suddenly becomes "strong". These ***holes just arbitrarily decide that a team, division, or conference is "weak". And what really pisses me off is that the only reason they are saying it is because they heard "someone else" say it and figured it sounded good, so they repeat it like the empty headed donkies that they are.

Since when do you decide that just because the league is more competitive then it is somehow flawed and weak. Its like they think that if THEY are the one who "uncovers" these "FLAWS" then suddenly someone is going to give them a Nobel Prize for their contribution to humanity. Their egos know no bounds.

How is this playoff Tourney any different than every other year. The 4 top seeds in each conference are strong teams that "on paper" can win it all. The bottom 2 look weak, yet inevidably one of them will win a game or two....or three.....or four despite the pundits.

I'm going to end this because I feel the incredible need to go out and buy a Massarotti or Felger blow up dolls just so I can have it close to slap around on a regular basis. C'mon tell me you haven't wanted to smack some of that smarmy smugness off their faces. Don't lie. You want to. I know you do.

I don't think that the AFC can't win the SB. I think they can...but I think they only have one or two teams with a legit shot of doing it. Records aside, the AFC teams for the most part just aren't playing very well, or are limited in some aspect. NE, and maybe Balt, are the exceptions IMHO.

As far as being 4 deep goes, I think if Houston had Schaub and Johnson, and Pitt had a healthy Mendy/Pouncey/Woodley/Roethlisberger etc, I think yeah, this would be a 4 deep field. (It's really a shame about Houston, because with Schaub and Johnson coupled with that D and running game they would be tough to handle) But they don't, so it's tough to take them too seriously as true title contenders.

The more I think about Pitt the less worried I am about them. They're a great team that I respect and fully expected to do well this season, but the Pats have their number. Their win over the Pats, despite being a sound victory, just further proved that. The Steelers changed their entire identity for that game and managed to execute amazingly well. It seems unlikely that they'll catch the Pats off guard again and manage to execute that well doing things they are unaccustomed to.

Sadly I agree. FWiW it's unlikely that we could even play the scheme we played the last time out against you guys. Woodley-who was dominant in the first meeting--was injured that game and has missed most of the games since. Maybe more importantly, our nickel and dime corners are now out. I doubt Lebeau would throw McFadden and Anthony Madison (just signed off the street) into that same bump and run coverage scheme as they would likely be destroyed.

I think this is by far Brady's best chance to get #4.

Um, what about the year the Patriots went 16-0 and found the NY Giants waiting for them in the Super Bowl? That was his best chance to get #4.

The bolded part has been tossed around a lot, as if it's meaningful. It's not, unless the league was suddenly going to adopt 14 and 15 game seasons. The Patriots beat teams that would have faced a different team if they hadn't faced the Patriots. It doesn't mean those teams would have ended up with winning records. Also, if we go down that road, the Steelers suddenly can point to the Titans and Cardinals as being over .500, and everyone starts playing the "what if" game with the records.

The Patriots didn't beat a team that finished with a winning record, and that the only playoff team the Patriots did beat is the 8-8 Broncos. It doesn't mean that the Patriots can't win in the playoff. That's just the way the overall schedule, combined with the losses to the Giants and Steelers, worked out. It'll be much more meaningful looking back than it is looking forward.

Of course it's not meaningful. But it's no less so than 'no wins against teams with winning records' factoid. Both statements are effectively senseless because they are both predicated on unnecessary and arbitrary fits of reductiveness.

Is there really such a huge difference between an 8-8 team and a 9-7 team that it's significant that the Pats didn't beat any of the latter, though they beat 7 of the former? Would the Patriots be a better team if they'd lost one of their games to the Jets, thus making the other a win over a 9-7 team?

Does it say good things about the Ravens that they have more wins against teams with winning records, when that comes along with having lost to teams with losing records?

Does it say good things about the Ravens that they have more wins against teams with winning records, when that comes along with having lost to teams with losing records?

Yes, because it at least shows that they've proven capable of beating good teams.

I do love the hypocrisy of fans, though. Last year, it was all about how the Patriots had beaten such a hard schedule. This year, that same argument is now supposed to be meaningless.

Yes, because it at least shows that they've proven capable of beating good teams.

And their road losses to Seattle, Jax, San Diego, and Tenn? What does that show?

And their road losses to Seattle, Jax, San Diego, and Tenn? What does that show?

That they can lose to teams that aren't in the playoffs. New England already proved they could do that with Buffalo, so I don't really see your point here.

It means the Ravens stink on the road. I'm pretty sure the Pats are going to at least the AFCC game and I won't be surprised if they make the Super Bowl.

That they can lose to teams that aren't in the playoffs. New England already proved they could do that with Buffalo, so I don't really see your point here.

You admonish Pats for not beating anyone good but Ravens get a pass for losing to garbage teams. So Pats beat the **** out of garbage teams, don't they get a pass for losing to good teams?

But that said, overall the NFC just feels like a much stronger field, and I wonder if the balance of power isn't shifting that way. The NFC boasts a couple of heavyweights (GB, NO), dangerous up-and-comers (Detroit, Atlanta), and an elite D (SF). And even the runt of the litter (NYG) can tout a SB resume and a good QB.

I agree. The way Baltimore and Pitt have played of late, it's clear that at least 3 of the 4 best teams are in the NFC.

This is a very weak AFC field. And the Patriots - if they play anywhere near their potential - should be the representatives for their conference in Indy this February.

I really think this is the Pats year to steal a title. The Steelers have won 2 titles by default in down years for the Patriots, defeating crappy NFC opponents in the title game. While whoever wins this year will face no such cupcake in the Super Bowl, I don't see why the Pats don't have as good a chance as anybody to at least get there.

Even though, in theory, the Saints probably would destroy us the way they did last year, and the Packers present an equally formidable foe - I can't help but think that if we get to the SB, if we get that opportunity, Belichick just won't allow us to lose, especially after what happened in SB42. It's been a while since he's pulled a rabbit out of the hat type coaching game, and I think he's due. There are some underrated pieces on this defense, as bad as it is - Anderson, Fletcher, Chung - starting to contribute, and I think he has the ability to shock some teams.

One game, two weeks to prepare, all the chips are down - I take the Pats against anybody. Brady needs to carry us to the Super Bowl, but Belichick will make sure we win that game.

Last edited:
You admonish Pats for not beating anyone good but Ravens get a pass for losing to garbage teams. So Pats beat the **** out of garbage teams, don't they get a pass for losing to good teams?

I didn't admonish that Patriots at all.

However, the Patriots only played 2 teams with winning records this season, and they lost to both of them. Why would they get a "pass" for that when they'll be facing teams with winning records in the playoffs? Are you expecting them to face the Broncos 3 times in this playoff season?

Last edited:
Go ahead and poll it here on which teams we would rather see the Pats play in the playoffs. Probably look something like this:

Broncos----------------------------
Cincy--------------------------
Houston-----------------
Pittsburgh-------
Baltimore--

matchups smatchups, give me the BUNGLES, TEBOWS, or TEXANS:D

Well, if Cincy beats Houston we get them and, assuming we get by them at home (no safe assumption given 09 and 10 Pats' Playoff "performances" in Foxboro), we'll get to host the survivor of Steelers @ Ravens, which should be a slugfest and leave the winner reeling. Hard to ask for much better than that and we can have no complaints if we're not in Indy.

Last edited:

I do love the hypocrisy of fans, though. Last year, it was all about how the Patriots had beaten such a hard schedule. This year, that same argument is now supposed to be meaningless.

Didn't the result prove that that argument was meaningless?

Um, what about the year the Patriots went 16-0 and found the NY Giants waiting for them in the Super Bowl? That was his best chance to get #4.

As great as our 07 team was, that playoff field was stacked from top-bottom. This year's field is filled with POS teams that we should all beat at home, especially with injuries to Ben and Mendenhall, a Steelers team that is our only real threat. Flacco and that Baltimore offense is horrible and their defense isn't as good as it was two years ago. As bad as our defense looks on certain stretches, they don't turn in a full game awful performance like the Ravens offense will do.

I am confident we will make it to the SB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Back