PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need to draft linebackers/DEs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Patriots have talked to two WR's already Brandon Myles and Chris Davis.
Name: Brandon Myles
College: West Virginia Number: 7
Height: 6-1 Weight: 183
Position: WR Pos2: KR
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.42 40 High: 4.48
Projected Round: 6-7 Stock:
Rated number 32 out of 285 WR's 249 / 2335 TOTAL

Name: Chris Davis
College: Florida State Number: 5
Height: 5-10 Weight: 180
Position: WR Pos2:
40 Time: 4.50 40 Low: 4.48 40 High: 4.53
Projected Round: 7 Stock:
Rated number 34 out of 285 WR's 269 / 2335 TOTAL

I have to admit, a gameplan of bringing Seau back and drafting Willis and Pozluzny (if we can) is growing on me.

Back to Vrabel and Colvin outside, Seau and Bruschi inside. And tell Willis and Pozluzny - watch those guys, in 12 months you are those guys.

It brings a ton of talent youth and speed to a area that is terribly weakened in the areas.

I'm telling you it would be one powerful group.

Name: Brandon Myles
College: West Virginia Number: 7
Height: 6-1 Weight: 183
Position: WR Pos2: KR
40 Time: 4.45 40 Low: 4.42 40 High: 4.48
Projected Round: 6-7 Stock:
Rated number 32 out of 285 WR's 249 / 2335 TOTAL

Name: Chris Davis
College: Florida State Number: 5
Height: 5-10 Weight: 180
40 Time: 4.50 40 Low: 4.48 40 High: 4.53
Projected Round: 7 Stock:
Rated number 34 out of 285 WR's 269 / 2335 TOTAL

Even though they are projected low it doesnt take away from the fact they are already looking at WR's.

I have to admit, a gameplan of bringing Seau back and drafting Willis and Pozluzny (if we can) is growing on me.

Back to Vrabel and Colvin outside, Seau and Bruschi inside. And tell Willis and Pozluzny - watch those guys, in 12 months you are those guys.
..... and save plenty of money in the process.

Even though they are projected low it doesnt take away from the fact they are already looking at WR's.
Also don't forget that Branch was "projected" as about a 5th round pick by most people on draft day. The second round for him seemed like an incredible reach to most.

I personally believe the Patriots do need to draft wide receivers especially if Troy Brown decides to retire.

Also don't forget that Branch was "projected" as about a 5th round pick by most people on draft day. The second round for him seemed like an incredible reach to most.
According to which Scouting service? NFL Draft Scout rated Deion Branch as a third round selection.

Name: Deion Branch
College: Louisville Number: 9
Height: 5-09 Weight: 191
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2002
40 Time: 4.47 40 Low: 40 High:
Projected Round: 3 Stock:
Rated number 10 out of 63 WR's

Also Deion Branch exceeded expectations in the 2002 Combines:

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/combine_analysis_032802.asp

"The best 20-yard pro shuttle belonged to Louisville’s Deion Branch, who zipped through the drill in 3.76 seconds. Branch also led all wideouts in the 60-yard shuttle, which measures crispness in changing direction over an extended length, recording a time of 10.66."

According to which Scouting service? NFL Draft Scout rated Deion Branch as a third round selection.

Name: Deion Branch
College: Louisville Number: 9
Height: 5-09 Weight: 191
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2002
40 Time: 4.47 40 Low: 40 High:
Projected Round: 3 Stock:
Rated number 10 out of 63 WR's

Also Deion Branch exceeded expectations in the 2002 Combines:

http://archive.profootballweekly.com/content/archives2001/draft_2001/combine_analysis_032802.asp

"The best 20-yard pro shuttle belonged to Louisville’s Deion Branch, who zipped through the drill in 3.76 seconds. Branch also led all wideouts in the 60-yard shuttle, which measures crispness in changing direction over an extended length, recording a time of 10.66."
The quote you just showed about Branch is a huge telling sign in what the patriots like in their WR's. Last year i remember Chad Jackson having great numbers in that category as well.

Just keep an eye out for quick direction changing and shiftiness guys at WR again.

I was thinking of Pro Football Weekly whose book rating had him on the cusp of a low 4th to high 5th.

wow check out this guy:

an extremely efficient receiver, who runs very sharp routes -- he consistently gets out of his cuts quickly and gets separation. He sells his fakes well, and he can turn defensive backs around. He consistently gets started upfield quickly after the catch, can make tacklers miss , and keeps his feet vs. hard hits -- he runs hard and gains yards after contact. He has excellent hands -- he does a really good job of reaching out with his hands to pluck the ball away from his body. He can contort his body to adjust and make great catches on off-target passes. He is a solid punt returner who will always get positive yards.

The New England Patriots could take Patrick Willis with the 24th overall selection and draft a wide receiver with the 28th overall selection. The selection of a wide receiver in the first round is dependent on the retirement of Mister Patriot Troy Brown, in my humble opinion.

Wouldn't we draft an 8th rounder to replace Troy?

Seriously, we need to go big on defense in this draft. At least 3 of the first 4 DB or LB.

I personally believe the Patriots do need to draft wide receivers especially if Troy Brown decides to retire.

Agree. Also, Reche and Jabar will be UFA after next season. We need not wait for the 2008 draft to groom their replacements (assuming we can't extend them).
:rocker: Go Pats

Last edited:

Branch was projected for the 3rd round in 2002. He was the 10th rated WR out of 63. Getting him at the end of the second round was a short reach at worst.

Branch was projected for the 3rd round in 2002. He was the 10th rated WR out of 63. Getting him at the end of the second round was a short reach at worst.

15th rated by Gil Brandt of NFL.com. Heard him mentioned as a 3rd or 4th rounder, but I couldn't back that up.

Can't even name a thread linebackers before it's just another WR thread.

Well maybe Pro Football Weekly was behind the curve. But I have their final book that comes out 3 weeks or so before the draft and his rating was exactly that of a late 4th/early 5th. Maybe I was wrong to take that as the bible and assume that was everyone's ranking but at least one "qualified media" source had him rated that low.

Given his excellent combine runs, I would be he was ranked lower than the third by more places in Jnauary '02.

We definitely have to rebuild our linebacking and defensive backfield

units. Reche Caldwell may have dropped a couple of passes but we lost

the Colts game by surrendering 32 points in the second half.

In addition to the draft, we need to loosen our wallet and sign

a couple of impact free agents like Mike Vrabel and Rosevelt Colvin.

We can't wait 2 or 3 years for rookies to develop. If Asante leaves

and Tedy retires we will be left threadbare at linebacker and

defensive back.

I don't see the Pats taking a WR in the 1st round. Maybe not even the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft 4 defensive players in the 1st 3 rounds.
If Troy Brown decides to return for another year, then I agree with your assessment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye