PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need to draft linebackers/DEs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just read the Patriots were seen talking to Georgia LB Tony Taylor.

I have to admit, a gameplan of bringing Seau back and drafting Willis and Pozluzny (if we can) is growing on me.

Back to Vrabel and Colvin outside, Seau and Bruschi inside. And tell Willis and Pozluzny - watch those guys, in 12 months you are those guys.
Upon further reflection, I also like the idea of drafting the two aforementioned linebackers in the first round.

Tony Taylor seems a little slow.

Name: Tony Taylor
College: Georgia Number: 43
Height: 6-1 Weight: 237
Position: OLB Pos2: ILB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2007
40 Time: 4.83 40 Low: 4.80 40 High: 4.86
Projected Round: 5-6 Stock:
Rated number 13 out of 216 OLB's

Here's a player I really like. Georgia's Moses and Johnson get most of the ink, and Taylor wins their MVP award. Led the team in tackles and ints -- strictly a coverage backer.

He'd be a solid developmental prospect on day two, who can earn his spot on ST while he bulks up (similar to Eric Alexander). A real strong tackler.

Tony Taylor seems a little slow

Bruschi was slow...Alexander was also...and many others. We want 'football players' first...and Taylor fits that mold. And besides, none of these prospects have been timed in the 40 YET.

We may end up adding 2 or 3 LBs before this is all over -- an early pick...a late pick...and FA. Maybe...

I was just reading (on a pay site so I won't copy and paste) that Willis looked stiff and Pozluzny didn't do much outside the box. They liked David Harris the best among the ILB so far.

Bruschi was slow...Alexander was also...and many others. We want 'football players' first...and Taylor fits that mold. And besides, none of these prospects have been timed in the 40 YET
The inability of the Patriots linebackers to cover the Colts tight ends in passing situations cost the Patriots the AFC Championship Game. The lack of speed at the inside linebacker position in coverage was exploited by Peyton Manning.

Ugh,

No more develpomental players please!!! I'm sick and tired of going through year after year with developing guys that sometimes seem lost and or dont make the 53 at all. I'm looking at you Claridge.

Cant we just get a great LB?

I was just reading (on a pay site so I won't copy and paste) that Willis looked stiff and Pozluzny didn't do much outside the box. They liked David Harris the best among the ILB so far.
David Harris could be a tremendous value selection in the second round, if he falls that far to the New England Patriots.

Did the Pay site think this or was it the Patriots?

Are these the same scouts who said that tight end Jason Witten from Tennessee looked a little stiff, as well?

Are these the same scouts who said that tight end Jason Witten from Tennessee looked a little stiff, as well?
Didn't see any reference to Witten.

This is the quote for Willis from Tuesday :

"Once again Willis was very stout in run defense and excels in the box. His change of direction is slow and his hips are stiff. He has not played like the first rounder everyone has anointed him to be."

Here is the link, I figure a couple of lines quoted plus the link is OK as someone may choose to pay for the rest, they have a huge amount of info :

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=612051

Didn't see any reference to Witten.

This is the quote for Willis from Tuesday :

"Once again Willis was very stout in run defense and excels in the box. His change of direction is slow and his hips are stiff. He has not played like the first rounder everyone has anointed him to be."

Here is the link, I figure a couple of lines quoted plus the link is OK as someone may choose to pay for the rest, they have a huge amount of info :

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=121&p=2&c=612051
I'll have to wait for Rob Rang's Senior Bowl report (NFL Draft Scout) for his analysis of the linebackers to confirm.

I'll have to wait for Rob Rang's Senior Bowl report (NFL Draft Scout) for his analysis of the linebackers to confirm.
I'll be reading that too . . . this is the fun and irritating part of the draft, it's easy for multiple legit sources to simply see things differently.

I'll take Patrick Willis anyday over Paul Posluszny. Willis is a tackling machine.

Poz is a much better linebacker. I've watched both closely, and Poz does all the little things out there AND he's fast to the ball. Willis does tackle all over the field, but he was not good in coverage.

Poz is a much better linebacker. I've watched both closely, and Poz does all the little things out there AND he's fast to the ball. Willis does tackle all over the field, but he was not good in coverage.
Willis week in and week out played against better competition or you haven't notice the pounding the Big Ten absorbed in the two most visible Bowl games this year.

I have to admit, a gameplan of bringing Seau back and drafting Willis and Pozluzny (if we can) is growing on me.

Back to Vrabel and Colvin outside, Seau and Bruschi inside. And tell Willis and Pozluzny - watch those guys, in 12 months you are those guys.
The latest mock draft by Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc.:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2740051

24. New England (from Seattle)
Projected pick: Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss
There's speculation that Tedy Bruschi will retire this offseason and Mike Vrabel is nearing the end, as well. With that in mind, the Patriots' top priority in this year's draft should be to get younger across the board at linebacker. Willis is instinctive, tough, quick and versatile enough to earn a starting job as a rookie.

28. New England (12-4)
Projected pick: Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State
Continuing with the linebacker theme, the Patriots seem like a perfect home for a versatile, hard-nosed and proven talent like Posluszny.

The latest mock draft by Todd McShay of Scouts, Inc.:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft07/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=2740051

24. New England (from Seattle)
Projected pick: Patrick Willis, ILB, Ole Miss
There's speculation that Tedy Bruschi will retire this offseason and Mike Vrabel is nearing the end, as well. With that in mind, the Patriots' top priority in this year's draft should be to get younger across the board at linebacker. Willis is instinctive, tough, quick and versatile enough to earn a starting job as a rookie.

28. New England (12-4)
Projected pick: Paul Posluszny, OLB, Penn State
Continuing with the linebacker theme, the Patriots seem like a perfect home for a versatile, hard-nosed and proven talent like Posluszny.

I only wish this was possible.

I only wish this was possible.
Rob Rang's current mock has Willis and Pozluzny going #26 and #31 respectively so most people seem to think it's possible (although you may have been referring to the unliklihood we will take one LB in round 1, let alone two).

Rang has us taking CB AJ Davis and LaMarr Woodley.

Willis week in and week out played against better competition or you haven't notice the pounding the Big Ten absorbed in the two most visible Bowl games this year.

Such a weak argument. And that has what to do with how good a player is? Did it bother AJ Hawk that he came from such a weak conference? The fact is, Posluzny proved it last year in college, and he proved it this year too. He proved it the same year that AJ Hawk was playing for Ohio St.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes