PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need to draft linebackers/DEs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the link Atipp. Looks like the Pats could strengthen themselves and weaken the Colts by taking Willis. Looks like a winning situation to me. Bowe probably drops to the second round imo so we could still take him there later... if that's a guy we like.

I seriously doubt David Harris falls late into the third round of the 2007 NFL Draft unless he flops at the 2007 Combines.

You're probably right. If he was available in the early third, I'd love to seea trade up though. On second thought, I'd just want to see them take him with their second rounder.

You're probably right. If he was available in the early third, I'd love to trade up though. On second thought, I'd just want to see them take him with their second rounder.
The New England Patriots definitely need to groom highly talented inside linebackers and the 2007 NFL draft is the best vehicle for that task without breaking the budget.

Speaking of LB, from : http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/south123.html

"The big story along the defensive line today was the reemergence of Georgia's Quentin Moses, who was seemingly all over the field. Whether it was putting pressure on the quarterback or batting down passes Moses was close to dominant today and he is so smooth and fluid as an athlete that I am more convinced than ever that he could excel as a 3-4 outside linebacker."

Thanks for the link Atipp. Looks like the Pats could strengthen themselves and weaken the Colts by taking Willis. Looks like a winning situation to me. Bowe probably drops to the second round imo so we could still take him there later... if that's a guy we like.
The New England Patriots could take Patrick Willis with the 24th overall selection and draft a wide receiver with the 28th overall selection. The selection of a wide receiver in the first round is dependent on the retirement of Mister Patriot Troy Brown, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
The Pats do need to draft a coverage linebacker. Someone who can hold the fort on 3rd downs.

Speaking of LB, from : http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/features/seniorbowl/reports/south123.html

"The big story along the defensive line today was the reemergence of Georgia's Quentin Moses, who was seemingly all over the field. Whether it was putting pressure on the quarterback or batting down passes Moses was close to dominant today and he is so smooth and fluid as an athlete that I am more convinced than ever that he could excel as a 3-4 outside linebacker."

It would be nice to nab him but theres no way hes available.

From the same article it says that Willis has still been the cream of the crop.

Hey about some of those LBs at for gators....Both coaches are close...one of our pipe line to young player.....inside information....Or do you think we are grooming LBs already.....Woods,Alexander and Mays....:help: :help:

From the same article it says that Willis has still been the cream of the crop.
Specifically interesting that they say he's looked good in coverage as I heard a while ago that they main question on him was whether his coverage was good enough to be a 3 down LB.

If Willis is so highly rated would he last until pick #24? One site has him ranked as the #1 overall ILB.
http://football.about.com/cs/positionalranking/a/nfldraftilbrank.htm

S Griffin would look good in Pats uni as well though some sites have him listed as only the #5 safety. When would he be available?

http://football.about.com/cs/positionalranking/a/nfldraftsrank.htm

VJC - Though Willis is rated the #1 ILB, many sites have him going in the teens to early 20's because of the depth at other positions and all the quality juniors that came out.

Also, Vince Wilfork was projected to be a top 10 pick and fell to the Pats at 21.

Aaron Rodgers was supposed to be a top 10 pick and fell to 24. Steven Jackson was the same way. So, don't assume that a player will be gone just because he's the top rated player at a position.

I seriously doubt David Harris falls late into the third round of the 2007 NFL Draft unless he flops at the 2007 Combines.

People thought that Ernest Shazor was a 1st round talent pick. I don't believe he was drafted.

Ryan O'Callaghan was said to be 1st round talent. He fell to the Pats in the 5th round.

Things happen that people can't explain.

Specifically interesting that they say he's looked good in coverage as I heard a while ago that they main question on him was whether his coverage was good enough to be a 3 down LB.
At worst, he could fill the Ted Johnson role in his rookie season.

He was excellent from sideline to sideline quickness. I think it was only a matter of time before hr learned it or someone, aka a good coach, taught him.

Its funny how Singletary has been teaching and coaching for a few days and hes been better than advertised. Coincidence? Maybe, but im betting its coaching and we have some of the best.

People thought that Ernest Shazor was a 1st round talent pick. I don't believe he was drafted.

Ryan O'Callaghan was said to be 1st round talent. He fell to the Pats in the 5th round.

I remember that however the Patriots desperately need to select young linebackers in the 2007 NFL draft. I don't want a repeat of the Monty Beisel/Chad Brown debacle of 2005.

O'Cal was injured way to often and his height and body structure made scouts think several times on his ability to stay on the field. Great prospect just cant stay healthy. Notice rookie season.

The New England Patriots could take Patrick Willis with the 24th overall selection and draft a wide receiver with the 28th overall selection. The selection of a wide receiver in the first round is dependent on the retirement of Mister Patriot Troy Brown, in my humble opinion.

I don't see the Pats taking a WR in the 1st round. Maybe not even the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft 4 defensive players in the 1st 3 rounds.

I don't see the Pats taking a WR in the 1st round. Maybe not even the 2nd round. I wouldn't be surprised to see them draft 4 defensive players in the 1st 3 rounds.

Patriots have talked to two WR's already Brandon Myles and Chris Davis.

Dwayne Bowe could become the next Anquan Boldin especially considering the same body structure.

I have to admit, a gameplan of bringing Seau back and drafting Willis and Pozluzny (if we can) is growing on me.

Back to Vrabel and Colvin outside, Seau and Bruschi inside. And tell Willis and Pozluzny - watch those guys, in 12 months you are those guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes