PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need to draft linebackers/DEs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Such a weak argument. And that has what to do with how good a player is? Did it bother AJ Hawk that he came from such a weak conference? The fact is, Posluzny proved it last year in college, and he proved it this year too. He proved it the same year that AJ Hawk was playing for Ohio St.
Willis proved it last year in college as well as this year. By the way, the SEC was BY FAR the best college football conference in 2006.

Willis proved it last year in college as well as this year. By the way, the SEC was BY FAR the best college football conference in 2006.

Willis is more or less a clone of London Fletcher from what I read. He's also regarded as a highly intelligent Linebacker -- so he should be able to pick up a Defensive scheme fast, like DeMeco Ryans did last year in Houston.

Posluszny did change positions and was recovering from a nasty injury -- I'd be happy with one of them in the first round, and then take a CB or WR depending on what happens with Asante.

The second round you could probably get LaMarr Woodley (he may fall to the 3rd round I've read), he's a pure pass rusher and while he played DE in College projects as a LB (ala McGinest).

All I know is I'm very, very excited for the next couple of months with Free Agency, Combines, and the Draft -- this off season is key for the Pats and all the stars appear aligned for them to acquire a wealth of talent which should allow them to regain THEIR title, lol.

The inability of the Patriots linebackers to cover the Colts tight ends in passing situations cost the Patriots the AFC Championship Game. The lack of speed at the inside linebacker position in coverage was exploited by Peyton Manning.

Nope. It was only one of several contributing factors that cost us the game.

Many of us have mentioned the lack of team speed on D -- so I'm sure BB & Pioli will oblige us by addressing the issue. Which BTW, can be addressed by drafting a faster DE/OLB...or by drafting a playmaking Safety...or an ILB...or another CB -- any of them in rounds 1-3.

The prospect mentioned by BelichickFan (Tony Taylor) is considered a day two prospect. Unless we plan on forfeiting day two of the draft, it's important to consider ALL prospects, even those with slower 40 times -- because they may offer other skills and value than just speed. There's a big picture...

Poz is a much better linebacker. I've watched both closely, and Poz does all the little things out there AND he's fast to the ball.
It hasn't shown at the Senior Bowl practices.

Senior Bowl Practice Report North Team - Wednesday

LINEBACKERS

The North's linebacking corps might be the strength of the team. Penn State's Paul Posluszny is the obvious headliner, but there is a great deal of talent surrounding him. In fact, some of the other linebackers here have been more impressive than the former Penn State star.

Posluszny is a heady, physical player who excels as an open-field tackler. He also excels in pursuit and as an occasional blitzer. Those aspects haven't been focused on throughout this week of practice, which is one reason Posluszny hasn't stood out. That said, he has struggled more than expected to get off blocks at the line of scrimmage and has been very mediocre in terms of his coverage of backs and tight ends.

Posluszny is one of those players who will show better during the game itself, when it will be full contact and his sure tackling and instincts will be more apparent. During practice, where players are asked to hit but not tackle, Posluszny's greatest skills have gone undetected. Still, perception can become reality, and the perception is that Posluszny has struggled to make the kind of impact expected this week.

One outside linebacker who has certainly improved his draft stock this week is Nebraska's Stewart Bradley. At 6-feet-4, 255 pounds, Bradley has great size and is surprisingly athletic in coverage. In drills against running backs trying to catch passes out of the backfield, Bradley showed uncanny instincts for where the routes were going to be run and displayed a late burst to break up passes. In coverage during scrimmages, Bradley often forced quarterbacks to turn away from even their check down options as he blanketed backs and tight ends. Entering the week, I had Bradley pegged as a mid second-day guy. If he plays with the physicality I expect in the game, I see him moving into the first day, perhaps even ahead of some of the bigger names at outside linebacker in this draft.

Michigan's Prescott Burgess also has great size for the position and showed better athleticism than I anticipated. While he wasn't as effective as Bradley in coverage (no linebacker was), Burgess did show better fluidity and change of direction that I anticipated. He also uses his hands well at the line of scrimmage, showing the ability to meet, greet and discard blockers quickly.

Former Wolverines teammate David Harris has helped himself this week by showing the strength as an interior run plugger and surprising fluidity to the outside. He shows good instincts in coverage, but lacks the top-flight change of direction to remain stuck to receivers. Still, he was always in the right place at the right time and would likely lead the team in tackles through the first three days of practice if such statistics were kept.

Paul Posluszny could be worth taking a 1st rounder on. He was rated ahead of AJ Hawk in 06 by many but chose to return to school after hurting himself in a Bowl game. He's been rather unimpressive in 2006 but he's still a player that could fit well in the NE system.

Beyond that LaMarr Woodley from Michigan could be a perfect hybrid DE/OLB in the mold of Kemerion Wimbley or Shawn Steroidman (except he has legit talent w/o having to turn to steroids).

It will be interesting to see what they do come draft day, and if they don't retain Samuel a CB is a must one way or another. Sign London Fletcher, draft Posluszny and a Safety (LaRon Landry?) in round one, a WR/CB in round two, and Woodley in round three. I'd be happy with that scenario and I'm sure the rest of the NFL would not!

that would be a good draft and go OLine with 3rd and 4th rounder

You have to kidding considering the lack of depth (as well as speed) at cornerback, linebacker, and safety.

I cant take this board and their hardon for drafting offensive lineman. What the F is the need.

I cant take this board and their hardon for drafting offensive lineman. What the F is the need.
I was thinking LT earlier but Light stepped up in the playoffs. I remember reading last year the Patriots liked Marcus McNeil last year - him at LT and Light at RT wouldn't suck. Then we'd have Kaczur as a swing T backup and O'Callaghan as a RT backup.

But with the good performances against SD and Indy I have moved on. Although the run blocking was still so-so at best.

I was thinking LT earlier but Light stepped up in the playoffs. I remember reading last year the Patriots liked Marcus McNeil last year - him at LT and Light at RT wouldn't suck. Then we'd have Kaczur as a swing T backup and O'Callaghan as a RT backup.

But with the good performances against SD and Indy I have moved on. Although the run blocking was still so-so at best.

Light stopped Merriman and Freeney in back to back weeks. I'm cutting him big slack if he has bad games against Jason Taylor.

Light stopped Merriman and Freeney in back to back weeks. I'm cutting him big slack if he has bad games against Jason Taylor.
In addition, Matt Light was coming off a broken leg last year. Let's concentrate on linebackers, safeties, and cornerbacks in the upcoming draft. I'm still in shock over the 32 points the Colts scored against the Patriots defense in the second half.

I know. I didn't disagree. I just think it has nothing to do with individual players. It's not an accident that they call it linebacker U. Look at AJ Hawk last year. He was from the same conference. Poz outplayed him, and yet Hawk is doing well in the NFL.

I know. I didn't disagree. I just think it has nothing to do with individual players. It's not an accident that they call it linebacker U. Look at AJ Hawk last year. He was from the same conference. Poz outplayed him, and yet Hawk is doing well in the NFL.
After reading about Poz during this week's practices for the Senior Bowl, the more I feel he's better suited in a 4-3 defense not the Patriots 3-4 defense.

Last edited:
It hasn't shown at the Senior Bowl practices.

Senior Bowl Practice Report North Team - Wednesday

LINEBACKERS

The North's linebacking corps might be the strength of the team. Penn State's Paul Posluszny is the obvious headliner, but there is a great deal of talent surrounding him. In fact, some of the other linebackers here have been more impressive than the former Penn State star.

Posluszny is a heady, physical player who excels as an open-field tackler. He also excels in pursuit and as an occasional blitzer. Those aspects haven't been focused on throughout this week of practice, which is one reason Posluszny hasn't stood out. That said, he has struggled more than expected to get off blocks at the line of scrimmage and has been very mediocre in terms of his coverage of backs and tight ends.

Posluszny is one of those players who will show better during the game itself, when it will be full contact and his sure tackling and instincts will be more apparent. During practice, where players are asked to hit but not tackle, Posluszny's greatest skills have gone undetected. Still, perception can become reality, and the perception is that Posluszny has struggled to make the kind of impact expected this week.

One outside linebacker who has certainly improved his draft stock this week is Nebraska's Stewart Bradley. At 6-feet-4, 255 pounds, Bradley has great size and is surprisingly athletic in coverage. In drills against running backs trying to catch passes out of the backfield, Bradley showed uncanny instincts for where the routes were going to be run and displayed a late burst to break up passes. In coverage during scrimmages, Bradley often forced quarterbacks to turn away from even their check down options as he blanketed backs and tight ends. Entering the week, I had Bradley pegged as a mid second-day guy. If he plays with the physicality I expect in the game, I see him moving into the first day, perhaps even ahead of some of the bigger names at outside linebacker in this draft.

Michigan's Prescott Burgess also has great size for the position and showed better athleticism than I anticipated. While he wasn't as effective as Bradley in coverage (no linebacker was), Burgess did show better fluidity and change of direction that I anticipated. He also uses his hands well at the line of scrimmage, showing the ability to meet, greet and discard blockers quickly.

Former Wolverines teammate David Harris has helped himself this week by showing the strength as an interior run plugger and surprising fluidity to the outside. He shows good instincts in coverage, but lacks the top-flight change of direction to remain stuck to receivers. Still, he was always in the right place at the right time and would likely lead the team in tackles through the first three days of practice if such statistics were kept.

I don't see how that's a bad showing at all. Scouts I know who have watched said he has had a good camp, and he was made the captain.

I don't tell ya. Have you watched this kid play the last two years? He blew away anything LaVar Arrington did at PSU, and LaVar's measurables were through the roof. I really wonder what people watch when they watch football. Jack Ham, who should know, called him the best linebacker to ever set foot on campus there. That's saying a lot considering the legacy of that position at that school.

Other than Calvin Johnson and Harry Douglas, I see absolutely nothing out there that interests me in terms of Wide Receivers. That's why I'd franchise Samuel and see if we could work something out longer term, but if that doesn't work out, I dangle him for a #1 receiver on a team that has a number of them. I look to throw in picks or players at positions where we're deep.

I don't see how that's a bad showing at all. Scouts I know who have watched said he has had a good camp, and he was made the captain.

I don't tell ya. Have you watched this kid play the last two years? He blew away anything LaVar Arrington did at PSU, and LaVar's measurables were through the roof. I really wonder what people watch when they watch football. Jack Ham, who should know, called him the best linebacker to ever set foot on campus there. That's saying a lot considering the legacy of that position at that school.

Exactly i dont give two sh!ts about practices and how high he can jump at a stop light.

I look at what he has played on the field, what kind of impact he has made, who are his surrounding teammates, the number of plays in which he was involved.

And from what i can tell Willis and Poz were the only real playmakers on their respective teams. Not only that they were team leaders, captains, friendly on and off field, play great and can help any team out.

Linebackers in the 3-4 defense need the ability to stack and shed. Obviously Posluszny has disappointed the scouts in that aspect of the game which is crucial for the success of the Patriots linebackers in stopping the run. As I posted previously, Posluszny is better suited as an outside linebacker in a 4-3 defense. Besides, Michigan linebacker David Harris would provide better value as a second round draft pick for the New England Patriots.

Food for thought:

There must be something said about the consistent NFL disappointments of high ranking Penn State defenders. While it remains to be seen how effective Tamba Hali will be for the Kansas City Chiefs over his career, certainly one must count the past several elite Nittany Lion defenders (Courtney Brown, LaVarr Arrington, Jimmy Kennedy, Michael Haynes) as disappointments. In fact, one could make the argument that no high ranking Penn State defender since Shane Conlan was drafted by the Buffalo Bills in 1987 has met his pro expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft