PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We need speed at linebacker!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
hes stiff and slow. thats his limitation. hes not very athletic..more of a 2 down player

He plays faster than he times, and he's timed in the 4.6 range. He doesn't have great top end speed, but he's very athletic for his size (don't know where you're getting that he's not athletic), and he's agile for the position, as well.

Really, He didn't look stiff, slow, and without athletic ability when I witnessed him chasing RB's down from behind, beating McFadden to the edge and stuffing him, coming off the edge to get the sack, or when I watched him blitz up the gut and nail the QB. You don't make the All-SEC team at LB, and make as many tackles as he has if you can't hang.

One of the things I've noticed that tells me he could be very effective in NE's system is his understanding of coverages. He also gets good depth and has good range in zone. Also, he has good sideline-to-sideline ability, takes good angles, rarely bites, and he's a strong open field tackler.

Keep in mind Goff's playing in the SEC against top level speed, then take the fallowing into consideration:

"LB Jonathan Goff has been one of the SEC's most consistent linebackers for the last two years. A two-time team captain, Goff finished this season as the league's third leading tackler with a career-high 113 stops. He also posted at least 12 total tackles in each of his last three games, and had 10 tackles or more in five of his final six performances.

"Considered for the Nagurski and Bednarik awards, Goff started 40 consecutive games at middle linebacker for the Commodores."

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/profile.php?pyid=17529

Career stats: 47 games, 307 total tackles (third among all active SEC players), 15.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, 14 PD's, and 3 INT's.

He's got a strong muscular build, but he's also got a pretty big frame, and still has room to grow. Overall, I like his leadership ability, intellect, understanding of coverages, tackling ability, and size. I'd take him in the second round in a heart beat.

thats because in a 3-4, OLBs in college would probably move up ILB in a 3-4

look @ the OLB rankings
Rivers/Henderson/Gooden/Bell/Butler would make good ILBs

Gooden has good enough height, but he's currently a little light in the pants (231lbs). And remember ILB's in NE's system have to take on Guards at the point, so he'll need that extra weight.

Rumors from Dallas is Greg Ellis wants out. If the Patriots can restructure Colvin's contract, the Patriots can hopefully sign Greg Ellis at a reasonable rate (nor more than $3.5 million per year). Thus, the Patriots outside linebackers for the 2008 NFL season could be the following:

Mike Vrabel
Rosevelt Colvin
Greg Ellis
Pierre Woods

......... with Adalius Thomas moved back to inside linebacker. Draft a couple of inside linebackers in 2008 and hopefully Oscar Lua could assist in an inside linebacker rotation.

Greg Ellis turns 33 in August. No thanks.

He's got a strong muscular build, but he's also got a pretty big frame, and still has room to grow. Overall, I like his leadership ability, intellect, understanding of coverages, tackling ability, and size. I'd take him in the second round in a heart beat.
When he is only rated a fifth round draft pick?

Name: Jonathan Goff
College: Vanderbilt Number: 47
Height: 6-2 Weight: 238
Position: ILB Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2008
40 Time: 4.72 40 Low: 4.63 40 High: 4.78
Projected Round: 5
Rated number 8 out of 113 ILB's 154/2552 TOTAL

Last edited:
When he is only rated a fifth round draft pick?

Name: Jonathan Goff
College: Vanderbilt Number: 47
Height: 6-2 Weight: 238
Position: ILB Pos2: OLB
Class/Draft Year: Sr/2008
40 Time: 4.72 40 Low: 4.63 40 High: 4.78
Projected Round: 5
Rated number 8 out of 113 ILB's 154/2552 TOTAL

Some rankings don't make any sense to me really. NFLDraftCountdown has him ranked 5th overall at ILB, and they used to have him ranked higher. ESPN has him ranked 8th overall, but in their scouting report they say he could go in the second round. They also had him ranked higher before Mayo declared, and they moved Gooden up. I don't know why they've dropped him a little, as if you paid attention he put up great numbers in 2007, especially over the second half of the season ( at least 12 total tackles in each of his last three games, and 10 tackles or more in five of his final six).

Watch this highlight video from 2006, does that look like a 5th round LB?

OH, and I forgot to mention I think he has a little bit of hybrid ability too, which helps flexibility. And, we're talking about 3-4 LB's. Some of the guys they've got ranked ahead of him are small, and wouldn't stand a chance in NE's system, so you have to factor that in to your rankings.

Last edited:
OH, and I forgot to mention I think he has a little bit of hybrid ability too, which helps flexibility. And, we're talking about 3-4 LB's. Some of the guys they've got ranked ahead of him are small, and wouldn't stand a chance in NE's system, so you have to factor that in to your rankings.
The Patriots do have two third round selections in the 2008 NFL Draft.

I hope to god we draft a good passrusher....but OT in the 1st day pick would be nice also...

I'd say AD was great at the end of the game, but had an ok game the first 3 quarters. It's hard to criticize the defense because they held down the giants for 3 quarter.

I just think you get a legit pass rusher and it makes the back 4 that much better and easier to cover.

Why did the pats decide to send the house at the end and go man? weren't getting to Eli with a 5 man rush.

You are 100% correct about that. Just ask the bears. We'll make the necessary moves and come out with guns blazing next year.

We need fresh blood at both ILB and OLB. I have no problem if all 5 geezers return; that means that the last 3/4 spots must be filled with talented, fast yutes.

Vrabel and Thomas can line up side-by-side, and switch between ILB and OLB. Who plays where can be decided by effectiveness, game situations, etc.

Bruschi and Seau cannot play ILB at the same time anymore. Period.

Woods, Alexander and Lua can be the TC fodder, nothing more.

Oh, and Thanks for the memories, Larry Izzo.

While we're at it, I think we should also consider drafting/signing a pass-rushing DE, who can eventually replace the overpaid Richard $eemour.

I guess this means we do in fact need a little more speed at linebacker.

If we ended up with Cason and Ghoston I'd jizz all over my tv screen

lol talk about a dream scenario that actually has a chance of happening. I love how Cason is no where to be seen on anyones top corner lists! its a small miracle. now that we let rosie go...Ghoston would be an incredible OLB as a Patriot. Only problem is the Jets going after him.

Remember this name: Derrick Harvey. Some say the he is more complete than Gholston. He comes for Florida. It would not suprised to see him drafted by the Pats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft