PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

We NEED Jeff Garcia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendel

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
We will go 5-11 with Matt Cassel.

We just got blown out by the worst team in football at home. Steelers lost today, Colts last today. Yeah? So what, we won't even have to be worrying about them at the bottom of our division this year.

If Matt Cassel remains the starter for this team, we will not win more than 5 games. Let's dink and dunk to set up 3rd and 5's and then watch Cassel overthrow his target all season.

Honestly, the Chicago Bears are a more intimating offense right now. That is said with no sarcasm whatsoever. This offense provokes no fear whatsoever.

BB of course will remain stubborn though and not bench Cassel until it's too late. It's a real shame this season is going to become a waste all because of one injury. This team won 18 god damn games last year, not 5. You don't throw in a developmental QB project when you're a Super Bowl team who just lost their MVP QB.

Re: We NEED Jeff Garcia.

I always love it when trolls and other vermin come out of the woodwork...better that they lay in rot..there goes that big CAPITOL LETTER thing...No avtually we do NOT need Garcia...

No we don't.

As another topic just put it, THIS TEAM IS TOO GOOD NOT TO HAVE A PROVEN QB.

Part of the reason the Dolphins blew us out today was the momentum Cassel constantly gave back to them. We start at the 50 yard line today and get no points? Are you kidding me? Then we get in the redzone and, hey it's a INT! But as for the defense...

WHEN THEY SEND PENNINGTON OUT AS A WR, THEY MIGHT TRY RUNNING THE BALL WITH BROWN. I KNOW, IT'S TRICKY, BUT AROUND THE 6TH TIME IT BECOMES OBVIOUS.

WHEN THEY SEND PENNINGTON OUT AS A WR, THEY MIGHT TRY RUNNING THE BALL WITH BROWN. I KNOW, IT'S TRICKY, BUT AROUND THE 6TH TIME IT BECOMES OBVIOUS.

Yeah, and I didn't see Cassel lined up anywhere in the front seven. Your point?

I am sure that if we had just thrown everything at brown on his runs he would have passed more than once.

The sky sure is falling today.

Last edited:
I'm not going to go as far as Wendel and predict that we go 3-10 the rest of the way with Cassel and I won't blame him for today's loss (defense was a joke), but I do agree that Jeff Garcia would be a great acquisition and probably a huge upgrade.

Trade for him now, give him a for weeks to learn the system, if Cassel plays well and leads the team to victories, Garcia is just the backup until Cassel gives Belichick reason to make the change. It can't hurt to get a solid vet QB for either insurance if Cassel is better than I think he is or if Cassel isn't good enough to give this team a chance vs. contenders; Jeff Garcia has proven he is.

Last edited:
It's the third game of the season...

We lost to a 4-12 Dolphins team back in 2004...

Soooo no, we don't need Jeff Garcia... Speaking of 2004, Garcia put up great numbers that year.

Thank you so much for all the caps. I would have missed your point without them :rolleyes:

Please explain to me how Cassel is responsible for allowing Miami to put up 38 points? (waiting with bated breath)

The NFL should really consider hiring people from this forum for any scouting/football operations positions. I'm amazed at how many talented and football savvy people are here! Hire Jeff Garcia? Brilliant!

Yep, sarcasm.

We're so used to success, that when a game like this occurs, everyone will panic.

I do wish we could have seen more of O'Connell when the game was out of reach. From the brief time I saw of him, he looked like he had a CANNON.

Whatever, Cassel looked fine last week, not so much this week. We have a bye next week. We'll see what changes will be made in week 5.

Trade for him now, give him a for weeks to learn the system, if Cassel plays well and leads the team to victories, Garcia is just the backup until Cassel gives Belichick reason to make the change. It can't hurt to get a solid vet QB for either insurance if Cassel is better than I think he is or if Cassel isn't good enough to give this team a chance vs. contenders; Jeff Garcia has proven he is.

Seriously, at what price?

You know why so many of us were royally p***ed at how bad Duane Starks was? It's partly because the Pats shelled out a third-rounder for him.

Remember: if the Pats trade for Garcia (or any other QB), they are--in a very real way--giving away their chance to improve in the future to win now.

I'm not saying there's no merit to your argument; what I'm saying is that all the available evidence suggests that the Pats will trade for someone if and ONLY if they feel the benefit now outweighs the cost down the road.

Can he tackle? Cause our defenses sure could use some help.

ASSUMING we could get Garcia, we'd be pissing away a pick that we could use to get younger and faster just to make an assumed impact late this season. No thanks. By the time Jeffy Boy learned the system several weeks later, the season would be determined by the 53 we have now. Not only that, the newbie would be taking important snaps AWAY from our starter and therefore costing us games before he played. DUH!!!

Thankfully, the cretins who post idiocy here are not the Patriots GM.

Words to describe Cassel? Pedestrain, terrible. Will not be the starting QB by years end.

Drive Began: NE 40
Result: Punt

Drive Began: NE 47
Result: FG

Drive Began: NYJ 48

Result PUNT

Drive Began: NYJ 39

Drive Began: NE 39
Result: INTERCEPTION

Drive Began: MIA 49
Result: PUNT

:mad:

Words to describe Cassel? Pedestrain, terrible. Will not be the starting QB by years end.

Drive Began: NE 40
Result: Punt

Drive Began: NE 47

Result PUNT

Drive Began: NYJ 39

Drive Began: NE 39
Result: INTERCEPTION

Drive Began: MIA 49
Result: PUNT

:mad:

Cassel sucks but what most seem to be saying is that he does not play defense. The defense sucked today more than Cassel did, both sucked big time.

Remember: if the Pats trade for Garcia (or any other QB), they are--in a very real way--giving away their chance to improve in the future to win now.
Do you really think something like a 3rd round pick is "giving away their chance to improve in the future"?

I'd say that excellent management, SD's 2nd rounder and the compensation pick(s) we'll receive give them plenty of chances to improve the outlook of the future and they can spare a late 3rd round pick (I'd even give a 2nd if I had to, but I don't think it's needed to get a deal done) to get a very good QB when it's currently the biggest weakness on a team that's otherwise a Super Bowl caliber.

Despite the pitiful defense played today, I'm far more worried about the QB play than I am about a defense that has proven to be a dominant rush D over the years.

I think this is the best team in the weakest AFC I've seen in a while with Jeff Garcia at QB and that's easily worth a 3rd round pick to me.

Last edited:
Hey trust me, I agree the defense was MUCH more embarrassing then Cassel today, but had he made any impact whatsoever on offense the team would have had much better momentum leading to better play by the defense.

I'd like to see them at least take steps towards making someone else the starter.

Two things are bothering me with this board right now:

1) It's true Cassel didn't allow 38 points, but that's irrelevant. If the defense had only allowed the Dolphins to get say, 14, Cassel still wouldn't have been able to regain the lead. Today we saw Cassel come out with the chance to go score for score with someone and he failed. He did very little to actually advance the ball or make plays.

2) To suggest Cassel needs to go doesn't make you less of a Patriots fan than to be happy with him. I'm sick of people saying things like "you must be a 2007 fan" to legitimate points that are being made. Make arguments instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back